Anyone have Liberty Mutual for auto insurance???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone have Liberty Mutual for auto insurance???

Just curious if anyone has Liberty Mutual as their auto and maybe even home insurance carrier?

I received an offer through my school's alumni association for discount on auto and home insurance through Liberty Mutual. Turns out the quote I received from them is 200 less per year than Progressive, which is already dirt cheap.

Anyone have any experiences with these people???

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents have been with them for at least 15 years and I'm on their policy now and they've been pretty good up to now.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Any accidents? How have they handled claims, premium increases, etc?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Racer

As some of you guys already know that New Jersey has the dubious distinction of having the highest auto premiums in the country(and property tax too!!!). I am currently with AIG for several year for both autos and home owner ins. A while back AIG rates for auto were among the cheapest in Jersey. But for the past year or so, every time I blink my eyes, they increased my rates Mind you I have no points and no claims for many year. I am really pissed at AIG.

Liberty mutual is one of the companies that I am considering. How about you others guys in Jersey? Any input?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Scrib
Any accidents? How have they handled claims, premium increases, etc?
Well since my household is basically on the same policy, we do have a couple accidents and other claims which have increasaed our premium, but the rates have been competitive with other major companies. I don't think we've been able to find lower rates, from reputable companies at least. Other company's agents even recommended we stick with Liberty Mutual. They've also handled claims fairly quickly without any BS. I can't say I have any complaints about them.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Liberty Mutual

I had a pretty good experience with LM when my car's headlights got stolen. They had no problem with me taking the car to a repair shop recommended by my Acura dealer. They also agree to additional charges after the body shop discovered more damage to the car. They do not open any new accounts in NJ though.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I wonder how they compare to Progressive???
Old 02-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Adult Supervision

I have had LM since 1990 when I got married. I have only had one claim which was easy and went well (truck keyed on both sides.)

Every time I shop around, the rates they give me for bundling (2 cars, 1 home) and for being with them (clean) for 10+ years, I can't find a better rate.

If you are new to them I can't say, but they keep me coming back.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:42 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Their service has not been great for me and I am dropping them tomorrow. First the set my policy up incorrectly after I had sent them the previous year's policy. I damaged my suspension about 10 days ago and they still haven't sent anyone to appraise the damage, meanwhile I am stuck driving an RSX. I'm not saying they are bad just saying that my fiancee and I weren't pleased with their service.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Racer

I had Liberty Mutual until about 3 years ago, when I switched to Progressive. The only reason I switched was that I had had some tickets in my younger days and Liberty Mutual couldn't compete with the quote that Progressive offered.

However, to your question, when I was with LM I had to do a claim on my GSR because the wheels and rims were stolen (stock rims, Dunlop SP4000's with 8-10,000 miles on them). I have to say LM was great about it. Incident happened on a Wednesday night and I had to be at a wedding rehearsal dinner in Connecticut Friday evening. LM cut me a check sight unseen, based solely on my word as far as the dealer cost for the rims, tire wear and brand, etc., and helped me get the rims and wheels mounted by Friday afternoon. Very smooth. I stopped by their office the next week and offered to give them some more documentation, they said don't worry about it. I also reported an accident where a guy rear-ended me, but I didn't end up going through insurance with it. They were very smooth and professional there as well.

Now that I have Progressive, I miss the service of LM but not the rates! I did have a Progressive claim to repair damage to the right front of my old '01 CL-S. They had an estimator out within a couple of hours to my place of work, but it didn't feel as smooth as LM. I also did not care for having to use on of Progressive's "approved" repair shops. I would have chosen a different one, and ended up having some issues with the shop. Still with Progressive though...
Old 02-20-2003, 10:35 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

I got AAA... they seem to be good... But I have 2 points and I'm under 25.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

15 years and they are great for me in NY

4 cars now, two teenage drivers and full coverage 250/500

$9 g

just go over every poss discount they offer like safe driver, multi car

and take the safe driver course and get 10% discount
Old 02-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Thanks for the responses. From the limited amount of info. I've been able to dig up on the web on how LM compares to other major companies, the results seem positive. Anyone have any good websites that compares the various aspects that make up a GOOD auto insurance company?

Again, like i said either, LM can save me $200/year on my what I already consider rather dirt cheap premium considering my limits of liability, area I live in, and cars I own. I just don't want to run into something that sucks.