Anyone Ever Replace This...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
Anyone Ever Replace This...

Part #5 in the picture.

It is the motor-side of the passenger side motor mount bracket.

To make a long story short, I snapped one of the bolts for the bracket and then tried to extract it to no avail. So now I've got the bottom half of the bolt lodged in the bracket and only one bolt holding that side of the motor

It appears to be attached to the engine with 3 bolts, but I was wondering if anyone has replaced it or taken it off in the past, and if they could share some insight on what to do and what not to do. It seems pretty straight foward looking at the bracket on the car, but there is the PS pump and the timing belt covers blocking my view.

It's not a bad time to replace my mounts, huh?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM

No one? Oh well, I'll get to it sometime this week.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it replaced with the stealership...hella expensive yo!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I did not know that was a bracket. 1 of the holes for my side motor mount has stripped out due to replacing the side mount like 4 times on mine. I'll have to look into this. For now I got that thread repair kit that is a metal sleeve that fits the hole & makes something for the bolt to catch too. Has worked great so far.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is one of the parts you have to remove to do the timing belt and water pump change. Its not to hard to change. You need to get the Shop manual and you will have no problem. I have removed it before. There are way to many steps to try to tell you how to do it so get the manual or be prepared to pay$$$$$$$$$$. What the hell were you doing to snap one of those bolts? You must have turned it the wrong way to try to loosen it? Those bolts are very strong and very thick. I think they are supposed to be torqued at 35+ ft/lbs.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jproy
It is one of the parts you have to remove to do the timing belt and water pump change. Its not to hard to change. You need to get the Shop manual and you will have no problem. I have removed it before. There are way to many steps to try to tell you how to do it so get the manual or be prepared to pay$$$$$$$$$$. What the hell were you doing to snap one of those bolts? You must have turned it the wrong way to try to loosen it? Those bolts are very strong and very thick. I think they are supposed to be torqued at 35+ ft/lbs.
I was putting my underdrive pulley on, and to get the PS belt off I had to take that off. I removed the rear bolt without a problem, started to remove the front and then POP. The bastard snapped. I had the engine supported, so it there wasn't any weight on it. It was coming out easy, then got really tight, I gave it one half turn more and then it snapped. The best part was, this was with hand tools

The bracket is the same on the MDX, Accord, Pilot, and Odyssey. It sells for about $30 at the dealer. Hopefully my local dealer has one on hand tomorrow (my preferred dealer is closed on sundays). Looking at it yesturday I figured it would be removed when doing the timing belt.

I need to get a manual, but if my dealer has the bracket in stock Ill be replacing it tomorrow, so I may not be able to get the manual in time. Is there anything I should watch out for? I know I have to remove the timing belt covers.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM

BTW, fuzzy the part number is 11910-P8C-A00 if you plan on replacing yours.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do not have to remove that piece to get the power steering belt off. You need a manual. To get the belt off you only need to revmove the two bolts that hold the bracket that attaches to the side mount to the engine. Slide it up and its done. Takes about 1-2 minutes. There is no need to support the engine either as the side mount is not load bearing if properly installed. The load bearing mounts are the front and rear.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I was putting my underdrive pulley on, and to get the PS belt off I had to take that off. I removed the rear bolt without a problem, started to remove the front and then POP. The bastard snapped. I had the engine supported, so it there wasn't any weight on it. It was coming out easy, then got really tight, I gave it one half turn more and then it snapped. The best part was, this was with hand tools

The bracket is the same on the MDX, Accord, Pilot, and Odyssey. It sells for about $30 at the dealer. Hopefully my local dealer has one on hand tomorrow (my preferred dealer is closed on sundays). Looking at it yesturday I figured it would be removed when doing the timing belt.

I need to get a manual, but if my dealer has the bracket in stock Ill be replacing it tomorrow, so I may not be able to get the manual in time. Is there anything I should watch out for? I know I have to remove the timing belt covers.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jproy
You do not have to remove that piece to get the power steering belt off. You need a manual. To get the belt off you only need to revmove the two bolts that hold the bracket that attaches to the side mount to the engine. Slide it up and its done. Takes about 1-2 minutes. There is no need to support the engine either as the side mount is not load bearing if properly installed. The load bearing mounts are the front and rear.
Those are the two bolts I removed. The bracket I need isn't the bracket I was trying to take off. The bracket I removed to get the belt off was number 11 in the following pic. Number 30 is the bolt I broke.

I do agree that I need a manual.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Those are the two bolts I removed. The bracket I need isn't the bracket I was trying to take off. The bracket I removed to get the belt off was number 11 in the following pic. Number 30 is the bolt I broke.

I do agree that I need a manual.