anyone else have a noise in dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else have a noise in dash?

I've noticed this winter that I'm starting to get some sort of noise that sounds like its in the dashboard, near the windshield. Its not occuring with each and every bump that I go over but I do hear it on uneven roads quite a bit. It almost sounds like plastic rubbing against plastic or plastic rubbing against the windshield. I'm one of those people who hears every creak, rattle, etc. and this one is starting to drive me crazy. When I got to work this AM, I was feeling around where the front defrosters are and noticed that the vent louvers appear loose but they weren't making any type of noise when I pressed on them

Thanks for your feedback.

SDG
Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a very annoying dash rattle, but the dealer hasn't been able to fix it in 3 trys. I'm trying to deal with it, but I may have to just take it back to the dealer.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Quicksilver

i've got rattles in the dash and in the sunroof
Old 02-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
My CLS is quiet above 40 degrees... Anything below that and I get rattles in the dash, like described and somewhere above my head near the door.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Racer

My dash rattles behind the center HVAC vents on super bumpy roads. The rear deck rattles terribly now that it's colder, too. Latest is the coin tray ("not an ashtray") has coins behind it bouncing around! Lame design. Dealer fixed the sunroof rattle, but hasn't been successful on the rear deck (two tires and counting) and punted on the dash rattle ... got the irritatingly lazy unable to duplicate! I'm thankful for warranty!!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
My 2002 CL S has 20k on it..not a peep, rattle or squeek!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My car has the same exact rattles in the dash you are referring too....down to the wire. Toward the edge of the dash, which is against the windshield. That entire area rattles and completely eats at my brain, drives me f*ing crazy.

But I'll take a million dash rattles over the sheet metal that is about as dent resistant as Reynolds Wrap. It's complete and utter shit, you certainly get what you pay for.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just wait unit it get about 45-50 degrees again it'll go away.

If I hold the dash right above the middle air vent it goes away. Yeah, it is annoying.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy
If I hold the dash right above the middle air vent it goes away. Yeah, it is annoying.
That's exactly what my dash does.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:55 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep! Me too.

I also sometimes hear a rattle in the dash whenever going over uneven pavement. In cool mornings when letting the clutch out slowing in 1st gear, I can hear the dash vibrate. Goes away after the car has warmed up.

In addition, sometimes I can hear a vibrating sound when driving over lane divider dots coming from the center console - like the hand brake cable or shifting linkage vibrating.

-g
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup... my dash does a little 'squeak' near the passenger-side - I think I've gotten used to it or it went away as I don't hear it anymore! It did it from day #2!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: anyone else have a noise in dash?

Originally posted by sundance_gold
I've noticed this winter that I'm starting to get some sort of noise that sounds like its in the dashboard, near the windshield. Its not occuring with each and every bump that I go over but I do hear it on uneven roads quite a bit. It almost sounds like plastic rubbing against plastic or plastic rubbing against the windshield. I'm one of those people who hears every creak, rattle, etc. and this one is starting to drive me crazy. When I got to work this AM, I was feeling around where the front defrosters are and noticed that the vent louvers appear loose but they weren't making any type of noise when I pressed on them

Thanks for your feedback.

SDG
I know what you are talking about!! I FIXED MINE! Try this:

Stick eraser (regular ruber school eraser) between your windshield glass and your dashboard ( where dashboard meets the glass, right next to the passenger air bag ). Stick your finger and you will see that there is some extra space between glass and plastic of your dash... some object like rubber eraser will occupy that space and will make your dash more solid. (Another thing is to check your fuse box cover.... but it might not be a problem).
Mine helped a lot, I plan to go to the dealer and show them what I did and hopefully they can put some teflon tape to make it more proffessional than an eraser...
Old 02-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have that same dashboard rattle everybody is referring too. I hate the way the freakin car ratlles when it is below freezing outside. It comes from everywhere. I will try the above "fix" and see if that helps but in the meantime here is a good trick for the rear deck rattle--get an old towel and cut in the same length as the space between the side of the rear deck and the brake light--do this twice, one for each side. Make it about 6-8 inches wide also. Roll it up and stuff it down the crack where the rear deck meets the window. If you do it right, you won't even be able to see the towel, the rear deck will stop making noise, and as an added bonus your rear speakers won't rattle when you have the volume all the way up.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by flint
I have that same dashboard rattle everybody is referring too. I hate the way the freakin car ratlles when it is below freezing outside. It comes from everywhere. I will try the above "fix" and see if that helps but in the meantime here is a good trick for the rear deck rattle--get an old towel and cut in the same length as the space between the side of the rear deck and the brake light--do this twice, one for each side. Make it about 6-8 inches wide also. Roll it up and stuff it down the crack where the rear deck meets the window. If you do it right, you won't even be able to see the towel, the rear deck will stop making noise, and as an added bonus your rear speakers won't rattle when you have the volume all the way up.
My dealer fixed my rear dash rattle... I did not have to reporduce it...... they said someone else complained and that they re-assemble and add insulation to make sure its solid.... It worked for me, its much better now. Try complaing about rear dash rattle.... they might offer you to tighten it up... depends on the dealer.... if they ask you to reproduce it... then forget it... it means they have no fuking idea what you are talking about....

I will show them my rubber in the front dash, I hope they will use more permanent solution.

Yeah, the car rattles and squeaks... especially in cold temperatures... I got other small rattles hear and there..... I am just trying to live with it.... My mom's 2003 Maxima SE has a very anoying rattle in the glove box when its cold outside.
I think all cars in this price range ( with stiff suspension like we have ) rattle more or less the same..... the manufacture is cutting costs and trying to save money by using less expensive materials or without proper insulation....
Old 02-08-2003, 04:44 PM
TRELOS

I've got that same freeking dash noise. It sounds like it is coming from the firewall, by the passanger side.

I hear what u guys are saying in reguards fixing the problem. My question is what causes it to start with. I didn't have the probem 2 years ago, so it is peculiar to me why I should have it now.

But I will try to see if the problem is between the dash and windshield, if so I will see if I can find somehting like the eraser trick to 'temperaraly' fix the problem.

Juker008
Old 02-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Juker008
I've got that same freeking dash noise. It sounds like it is coming from the firewall, by the passanger side.

But I will try to see if the problem is between the dash and windshield, if so I will see if I can find somehting like the eraser trick to 'temperaraly' fix the problem.

Juker008
Yeah, mine only surfaced year later after owning it.... What causes it? Hmn... probably cheap materials changing size become wrong fit