Anybody raced an Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 12:56 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yea...my car JUST had an ECU chip and TIPTRONIC chip. Some guys with 6-speeds have intercooler misters...all sorts of stuff to run low 13’s and high 12s...We routinely take a spray bottle to the strip and squirt the hell out of the intercoolers with cold water to help against heatsoak.

My car was totally stock other than the chips...the most common aftermarket part on the S4’s.
Old 02-11-2001, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

good bunch of guys and a great car...

My garage is home to a 2001 S4 6sp and a 2000 TL. Both great cars...just different tools for different jobs. I've owned 3 Acuras over the years and enjoyed them all.
Old 02-12-2001, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Hello Ming, I've seen you out at Carlsbad on occassion. Not questioning NASA's times, just saying they weren't necessarily indicative of what he might run on the street. With Carlsbad's crappy surface you guys seem to get quicker thanks to easier wheelspin, and even spraying down between runs probably makes you quicker than what you'd be off a light on the street.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll see you guys again. I've lined up against CMH (blue A4) a few times at the "bad". Don't think he was expecting to see my car's tail lights so quickly, but he was very cool about it. Gotta say his plate in the rear window "fastest stock turbo A4" or somesuch seems a bit corny though with all the 10,11 and 12 second cars running out there. But some like to advertise, and some don't (I prefer sleepers). I, for one, never would have pegged your A6 as being so quick.

UL
Old 02-13-2001, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Mmmmmmmm
I want an RS4......
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Drooooools

------------------

TypeS - Agressively Engineered to Perform...
Old 02-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Ultimate Lurker. So you have been to Carlsbad. I like it better than Pomona because Pomona is like glue and with quattro less is better. Street wise I would think my car runs .2-.3 slower considering conditions, car hotter, 92 octane. cmh is there almost every week, the guy is dedicated!. What car where you in when you ran against him? I dont know if I will run again. 14.0 seems like a career best for that car and unless I go with lighter wheels or exhaust that may be it for me. Although its just fun to go and see the cars and try your skill or lack of. Of course being so close to 13's is tempting!!! But at what cost to the car!!
Old 02-13-2001, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

I usually bring down my little white Honda hatch. Looks pretty sedate, but it's running some boost of it's own. The day you guys were running so well I could not hook up, the track was so crappy and the air was so cool and dense, it was torture! All that power and nowhere to put it. My best 60 ft times were in the high 2.3's and best slip of the day was a 14.4@97.8 mph. I ran against a C5 Vette who did a 2.6 60ft! I was ahead of him till half track when he came barreling by to run a 13.9@106! I went back last week and ran a 14.2@98.5 despite warmer weather, mainly thanks to a grippier track (mid 2.2 60 fts).

I actually preferred Pomona before they shut down the open track days, because despite higher elevations, the track surface was so nice all the time. You Quattro guys ought to tip the track workers at the 'bad' for having such a crappy surface :-)

UL
Old 02-14-2001, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

You think those S4 Sedans are fast, you haven't seen nothing until you've seen one of those S4 Avante's go. THose things are just badass (but personally I can't afford the 50k premium on those suckers).

Went to the Texas World Speedway event over the weekend and that thing flies, the funny things is that it flies with 4 freakin' people in the car. I was riding in a Supercharged NXS and that S4 Avante just walked all over us in the twisties (and once out of the twisties he was pulling like a mad man away on the straight-a-ways) and even with 4 freaking intstructors in the car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Type S but she's not made to race (especially on a road course).

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 02-14-2001, 04:35 AM
5th Gear

are you serious? the s4 avante is a wagon! It has the same engine as the s4. And you wrote you drove and NSX and can't beat it!?
Old 02-14-2001, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fuhoo:
are you serious? the s4 avante is a wagon! It has the same engine as the s4. And you wrote you drove and NSX and can't beat it!? </font>
I wasn't driving the NSX, it was my instructor and I was in the passenger seat. I was completely serious, that little S4 Avante rocks. Now I don't know if it was stock or not (my bet would be that it wasn't).

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 02-14-2001, 07:23 PM
Instructor

I remember a little Honda that was modded. And I do believe I saw that Corvette race, course I am getting old and the memory aint what it used to be. What you call crappy conditions is another mans heaven!! It must be fun to smack a bigger car or a so called sport car with your Honda! Sleepers are the way to go. I did a 0-60mph run last night in the pouring rain, car was at normal temp, spare in 2/3 tank of gas(92oct)and a passenger and ran 5.9 seconds. Then after the rain stopped for a second I ran it again by myself and recorded 5.40 one direction then 5.51 return run other direction.(no puddles either on the street) And on the second run I could have sworn the tires broke loose some. This was using my Gtech which I use while at Carlsbad too. It is within .05 on the 1/4 time but the mph is off about 2mph in the 1/4. I would suspect that the 0-60mph times might be a hair fast too. But to run 14.0's I would think they would be pretty close - within a tenth or two. Nasa Racer(Tip S4)races or did race a HOnda Civic in some track events, I dont what they were, but they were awfully fast and surprised many a M3 by their cornering ability.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Yes Ming, it's always fun to surprise people.

My car is also setup for track work, at least suspension and alignment wise. I don't have a cage so I don't do wheel to wheel stuff though. The alignment means a lot of negative camber which makes off the line traction even tougher. On a good day I can pop off 6.0 0-60 times, but any quicker is really tough with FWD.

For the guy commenting on the Avant, was it an RS4? Those are europe only (perhaps one was imported) and make 380 hp stock. Even then though, a supercharged NSX typically puts down at least 300 wheel hp and weighs susbstantially less, even without adding passengers to the Audi. I suspect driver skill must have played a role, or perhaps this was on Sunday when it was raining? If so, the AWD Audi would have a major advantage.

UL
Old 02-18-2001, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ultimate lurker:

My car is also setup for track work, at least suspension and alignment wise. I don't have a cage so I don't do wheel to wheel stuff though. The alignment means a lot of negative camber which makes off the line traction even tougher. On a good day I can pop off 6.0 0-60 times, but any quicker is really tough with FWD.

For the guy commenting on the Avant, was it an RS4? Those are europe only (perhaps one was imported) and make 380 hp stock. Even then though, a supercharged NSX typically puts down at least 300 wheel hp and weighs susbstantially less, even without adding passengers to the Audi. I suspect driver skill must have played a role, or perhaps this was on Sunday when it was raining? If so, the AWD Audi would have a major advantage.

UL
</font>
UL,
It was the Sunday event that I had an opportunity to ride in the SC NSX, and yes it was raining. You haven't felt anything until you've been in a mid-engine 300+ hp NSX when it starts loosing grip. From what I understand to loose it in a mid engine car is not the best thing in the world to do

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 02-18-2001, 06:49 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:

we spank other JAPANESE cars beyond 3rd gear because they have econo-gears also.

</font>
Soopa,
err... I beg to differ ... I have only had a few runs, but when completely stock:
0-60: 5.75, 5.69, 5,71
1/4: 14.2, 13.9, 14.1.
I have friends that have posted 13.1 with just a SWIFT HFI-2 CAI, and Level 10 torque Converter.

I am waiting for "funds" (new Job) before I buy the swift-racing HFI

---
Gs400-TRd
Gs400 /jade /nakamichi /HID /HIDFogs /17" /Borla Kevlar Exhaust /TRd CAI
Old 02-18-2001, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

About that S4 wagon, it was an S4 Avant (i.e. wagon), not an RS4. The driver posted about that day a while ago on audiworld.com. He's an instructor, and I forgot if his car is/was modded or not, at the most it has a chip, as he was debating whether or not to mod it (already has 2 track cars).

------------------
'01 S4
Old 02-19-2001, 03:10 AM
Cruisin'

Hey gs400TRD, those are G-tech times, right?

I've only seen 2 GS400's at the strip and none have even been close to 13's (best I recall seeing was a 14.3@98)

We dyno'd one once (two years ago)and were surprised to find that it only made 229 at the wheels. We dyno'd a Chevy police cruiser on the same day that put down 220 despite being rated at 40 hp less crank compared to the GS(of course, who knows what police cars really get under the hood).

Not saying GS's are slow or anything, but your times sounded a bit quicker than anything I've seen, or seen published.

UL
Old 02-25-2001, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

ok, sorry ppz, but i gotta spit this out:
first of all, a cls costs bout 30 g's give or take... could be more or less depnding on the options....the s4 costs 40 g's same as above, give or take depending upon the options...
secondly, if I had an extra 10 grand to spend on mods for my car...i would sure as HELL smack the living sh*t outa'v an s4...when the balance is even, then the s4 ppl can brag and do ur thing...but i dont have 40 g's...a s4 with only 30 grand worth of "stuff" would be killed by our cars....guaranteed. we'll talk when iget my 5,000 supercharger plus another 5 grand worth of mods....till then...enjoy urselves!!

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S, Taffeta White, non-navi, *~*if u see me, youll be behind me *~*
Old 02-28-2001, 06:37 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KbOiCL-S:
ok, sorry ppz, but i gotta spit this out:
first of all, a cls costs bout 30 g's give or take... could be more or less depnding on the options....the s4 costs 40 g's same as above, give or take depending upon the options...
secondly, if I had an extra 10 grand to spend on mods for my car...i would sure as HELL smack the living sh*t outa'v an s4...when the balance is even, then the s4 ppl can brag and do ur thing...but i dont have 40 g's...a s4 with only 30 grand worth of "stuff" would be killed by our cars....guaranteed. we'll talk when iget my 5,000 supercharger plus another 5 grand worth of mods....till then...enjoy urselves!!

</font>
Let's not bring the mods into play here.... then you'll have the civic guys over here talking about their 10-sec daily drivers. An s4 is not in the same class as a CL-S. You wanna compare...compare yourself to an M3...more even battle now.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 02-28-2001, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Agreed. I've got a G4 and haven't heard of those times. You'll need Swift's torque converter to get in the mid 13's in the quarter and low-mid fives to sixty. Now I've seen film on that little $900 mod doing its business.

Hey gs400TRD, those are G-tech times, right?

I've only seen 2 GS400's at the strip and none have even been close to 13's (best I recall seeing was a 14.3@98)

We dyno'd one once (two years ago)and were surprised to find that it only made 229 at the wheels. We dyno'd a Chevy police cruiser on the same day that put down 220 despite being rated at 40 hp less crank compared to the GS(of course, who knows what police cars really get under the hood).

Not saying GS's are slow or anything, but your times sounded a bit quicker than anything I've seen, or seen published.

UL
</font>
Old 02-28-2001, 08:39 PM
Old timer

The S4 is like $10k more than a Type S so it better be beating it.

If I could afford an S4 I'd get it.
Old 03-11-2001, 02:56 PM
Race Director

great story!

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-27-2001, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

I looked at the Acura CL and CL-S before buying my 2000 Audi S4 Tiptronic (auto trans) car. In the past, I had an '89 Legend Coupe that I loved, and my family has had many Hondas. My only complaints about the Acura CL/CL-S was that there was no availability of seating surface other than leather, and no telescoping steering wheel. When the driver's seat was far enough back for my leg length, the steering wheel was too far away to be comfortable. My S4 has Alcantara seating surface. Also, I preferred all-wheel-drive. Other than that, I loved the CL/CL-S. I think its a great bargain.
As for the racing, my auto-trans S4 is currently all stock (no chip yet). I have raced a couple CL-S cars in street races in my area, and my car was faster. That was no surprise, as I expected it to be a little faster based on published numbers, etc.
The poster who said that the S4 was unimpressive and seemed slow when he test drove it, I would say, I agree that the tiptronic S4 does not "feel" like it accelerates fast. However, it is deceptively fast. The speed pours-on smoothly and quickly. I have street raced Mustang GT cars that I know "feel" fast when your in those cars, and yet in my S4 I am nose to nose with them up to the ~100mph that we slowed down at. The two cars were evenly matched, yet the sensation of speed and acceleration in each car is TOTALLY different. I think this explains the feeling that the S4 tiptronic "feels" slow.

------------------
2000 Audi S4
Old 03-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Dave - I seriously looked at an S4 a little while back - awesome cars . Other than the seat feeling way too high (sitting on top of it rather than down in the car), I didn't have much else to complain about (well, shifter is LONG, but UUC fixes that).

I've seen a lot of posts on Audiworld about tranny chips in addition to ECU chips. Folks report greatly reduced shift times along with better mapping for shift points. Think TAP along with maybe APR has 'em?

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 03-27-2001, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

Actually the two most well-known "tiptronic-chips" with the biggest fanfare are the GIAC and MTM chips. Come on over to www.audiworld.com and check it out. Sorry for the off-topic banter, I know this is an Acura website. I was just doing some investigation for a friend who is modifying his Acura CL Type S.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:29 PM
Instructor

DOH! I knew that TAP gets all their chips from GIAC don't they? :embarrassed:

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 03-29-2001, 09:59 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boss Hogg:
Come on over to www.audiworld.com and check it out. Sorry for the off-topic banter, I know this is an Acura website. </font>
Frankly, there appears to be alot of respect for the S4 here. An S4 guys seem to be okay....unlike those BMW PRICKS!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 04-05-2001, 02:09 AM
10th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by carlsonho:
Yeah, turbo cars fly!!!! but without the right skills, you'll watch yourself die!!

</font>
I have a 700 HP supra and I don't consider myself a great driver. Turbo cars are easy to drive but you have to get use to them. The Audi s4 will crush a CL-S in most cases. With about 2K in mods(computer, exhaust w/no cat, K & N) the S4 could match, if not beat the new M3. One problem with the S4 is some horrible gas milage partly due to its all-wheel drive set up. My supra still gets about 17 MPG if I stay off the gas. I love the CL-S, I have a 3.2 TL and my brother has a CL-S. I don't think any car in the $30K range can come close to what our cars offer.

Sam

Old 04-05-2001, 02:42 AM
Banned

I've got personal experience killing an S4 off the line with my '98 stock M3. The S4 was also stock. $2k of mods to the S4 and it can take out the new M3????? It can top 4.7 secs? New M3 is an 3.2L inline 6 engine producing an amazing 333bhp with NO NO NO NO turbo or any form of supercharger.

As for the guy who said "the s4 is $10k more than the CLS so it better beat it", I say, thats pathetic. A lexus IS300 is more than the CLS and it still can't kick the CLS ass straight runs (what gives there?). A BMW 540i 6 speed is about $23k more than the cls and still the CLS gives it a good run for the money (what gives?). The CLS is about $5k more than a Camaro SS and still loses (how come?).

Thanks for your time.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
Old 04-05-2001, 03:07 AM
10th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
I've got personal experience killing an S4 off the line with my '98 stock M3. The S4 was also stock. $2k of mods to the S4 and it can take out the new M3????? It can top 4.7 secs? New M3 is an 3.2L inline 6 engine producing an amazing 333bhp with NO NO NO NO turbo or any form of supercharger.

</font>
Sorry to burst your BMW superiority complex, but an S4 properly moded will put close to 300 RWHP. I'm not talking about taking the head off the engine or swaping turbos either. Chip, air-filter, and exhaust. The new M3 is a whoop ass pice of great modern technology but it's killable. All wheel drive cars can lanch like no other cars. The lancer and wrx sti have close to 280 AWHP and have 0-60 times in 4.5-4.7 range and 1/4 mile times in the low 13's. 0-60 are faster then your 333 HP M3 and the 1/4 miles times are similar. These are from high boost 2.0 L engines. The S4 has 2.7 L. Look here to see what HP you can realize from a forced induction engine like and S4

http://www.mtm-online.de/English/A4/Preise/s27_265.html

or

http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by...4_biturbo.html

As to killing an S4, well you are probably a better driver or he had a bad launch. A pre 2001 m3 and S4 have almost identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. AWD cars are tricky becasue you need to lauch the holy-cr@p out of it or you wont get the wheelspin causing it to bog.

Hopes this helps.

Sam

[This message has been edited by BPUKiller (edited 04-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BPUKiller (edited 04-05-2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 01:15 PM
Banned

BPUKiller:

Just checked out those websites you just pointed to. Damn those upgrades are CHEAP!!! Ok, I agree, a properly mod-ed S4 will kill the new M3. Damn those are low prices for those mods! Thats amazing, wish my M3 had prices like that for modifications!

Thanks for the insight.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
Old 04-05-2001, 08:45 PM
Ace rider

I haven't raced an S4, but I wouldn't anyway...love them though. If I were still in Boston, I'd have sprung for the extra 10k for the 4-wheel drive which is awesome.

However, I did sit in a European S3 Manual (an S4 engine in a little light hatchback). I was in the passenger seat while the driver was racing an Alfa Romeo and some Peugeot in the streets of Paris at night. That was one race I'll never forget, screaming by everyone, weaving in and out, going under and over bridges...kind of a high-speed tour of the city

The S3 kicked serious ass, we were waiting for the other two cars for a couple of minutes after we lost them!

Okay, I was wrong, the S3 didn't have the S4 engine. Sorry! I guess it's all relative when the other cars you're racing aren't that fast!

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i

[This message has been edited by Dacat (edited 04-05-2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 10:35 PM
10th Gear

For the guy commenting on the Avant, was it an RS4? Those are europe only (perhaps one was imported) and make 380 hp stock. Even then though, a supercharged NSX typically puts down at least 300 wheel hp and weighs susbstantially less, even without adding passengers to the Audi.
UL
</font>
Wanna see a dyno of a superchared NSX??

Take a look at my site.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/samqui25?...l=fld7&.src=ph

For a car that weighs about 3200 lbs 277 RWHP is nothing great. 241 ft*lbs of torque isn't that much either. I felt sorry for this guy since he spent so much money. A stock S4 is about as fast as a sock pre 3.0 l NSX. A lighly moded S4 should beat a new Zenardi edition in my opion. I drove a S4 with a chip and exhaust. It seemed about as fast as my supra was when is was stock so I'm guess it was clost to 300 hp if not more.

Sam