Anybody driven there CL's from NY to FL or vice versa??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:33 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody driven there CL's from NY to FL or vice versa??

Guys thinking of taking the CLS6 down to Florida during the summer time. How is the ride going down I-95 to FL? What is the gas mileage I schould get? Schould I ride down with the 18's or stockers?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
PM Titand19. He moved down there. I did a lot of highway driving with my 19's to MD and DE. I was getting anything from 24 to 27 MPG, sometimes more. You should be fine with the 18's.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
PM Titand19. He moved down there. I did a lot of highway driving with my 19's to MD and DE. I was getting anything from 24 to 27 MPG, sometimes more. You should be fine with the 18's.

Ravi.........whats up man......spring is almost here maybe in a month we schould plan a ross dock meet..

anyway thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe fuzzy02cls has done this before in his 6 speed.

And like Ravi, I get great milage on the highway, when I went down to Maryland, I got close to 30 MPG with the 18s on. You should be fine.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Beware of leakage

Ralph, when did you get a 6 speeder ?

(I"m behind)
Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
I believe fuzzy02cls has done this before in his 6 speed.

And like Ravi, I get great milage on the highway, when I went down to Maryland, I got close to 30 MPG with the 18s on. You should be fine.

Yeah I drive that all the time. Different cars, different times. I couldn't even count now. Just say I really hate to fly, or at least I did

Nothing to it. Make sure you stay ahead of the gas guage. Try to stop where there are some fast food places, or motels. Some of the gas signs you see, the stations are no longer there.
Be carfull in the Maryland/baltimore area. Lots of unmarked cops, driving non police issued cars.
Traffic can be a bitch in the northern VA area. There's a big mall off 95, & several construction area's.
I don't play in VA with speeding. I have seen friends from there get pulled over doing 1 mile over. I still use my V1, but I hide it behind the tint strip when I drive through VA.
Once you get into N Carolina, the limit goes to 70. You can get by doing 80 & not get pulled over. If you have a detector go faster. Down 95 throught N & S carolina, it's really straight. A bit boaring.
In GA, the limts are all over the place, 70, 65, 60, back to 65 or 70. Just do the flow of traffic & you should be fine.
BTW try to stay in the right lane unless your passing someone. You'll get some crazy ass road range drives that will not like you.
When you get to FL, look out, They tend to use laser alot. There's this bridge that goes from GA into FL. I have seen speed traps set up right after that bridge with tons of FL troppers using laser & KA, & they have the Camaros to chase you down.
Mileage should be in the upper 20's, if you keep it at 80, You can get 30+ but you'll have to drive like granny.
For the ride, You'll be fine with the 18's. The roads are fine. Nothing like NY. When I had 18's I drove up, not a problem untill I got to NY.
I drive at night, makes the trip alot faster cause your not dealing with traffic.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Yeah I drive that all the time. Different cars, different times. I couldn't even count now. Just say I really hate to fly, or at least I did

Nothing to it. Make sure you stay ahead of the gas guage. Try to stop where there are some fast food places, or motels. Some of the gas signs you see, the stations are no longer there.
Be carfull in the Maryland/baltimore area. Lots of unmarked cops, driving non police issued cars.
Traffic can be a bitch in the northern VA area. There's a big mall off 95, & several construction area's.
I don't play in VA with speeding. I have seen friends from there get pulled over doing 1 mile over. I still use my V1, but I hide it behind the tint strip when I drive through VA.
Once you get into N Carolina, the limit goes to 70. You can get by doing 80 & not get pulled over. If you have a detector go faster. Down 95 throught N & S carolina, it's really straight. A bit boaring.
In GA, the limts are all over the place, 70, 65, 60, back to 65 or 70. Just do the flow of traffic & you should be fine.
BTW try to stay in the right lane unless your passing someone. You'll get some crazy ass road range drives that will not like you.
When you get to FL, look out, They tend to use laser alot. There's this bridge that goes from GA into FL. I have seen speed traps set up right after that bridge with tons of FL troppers using laser & KA, & they have the Camaros to chase you down.
Mileage should be in the upper 20's, if you keep it at 80, You can get 30+ but you'll have to drive like granny.
For the ride, You'll be fine with the 18's. The roads are fine. Nothing like NY. When I had 18's I drove up, not a problem untill I got to NY.
I drive at night, makes the trip alot faster cause your not dealing with traffic.

Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!

I drove up a couple of times about 3 years ago, just wanted to refresh my memory and also wanted to know how the ride was with the CL for 20 hrs.

I just hope I do not draw attention to myself, the last thing I need is tickets, out of state tickets!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chopper
Ralph, when did you get a 6 speeder ?

(I"m behind)

yup for about 2-3 months......had the 02 CL-S, traded for a 05 RSX-S, didnt like it got the 6-speed (still stock as of now) just waiting till it gets a little warmer out

How is the GS-R???? I sure do miss my integra
Old 03-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
yup for about 2-3 months......had the 02 CL-S, traded for a 05 RSX-S, didnt like it got the 6-speed (still stock as of now) just waiting till it gets a little warmer out

How is the GS-R???? I sure do miss my integra
Well I'll be damned lol , Did you get another SSM ?
What didn't you like about teh 05 RSX-S I saw a Red one at our local dealer and was very eye pleasing.

The Gizzer is fine, and here are some new pics of her.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/new-photoshoot-gs-r-299827/
She's about to get her full 2.5" Header back Exhaust with resonated Test pipe put on in about a week.
(mods so far, listed in sig)
Old 03-20-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chopper
Well I'll be damned lol , Did you get another SSM ?
What didn't you like about teh 05 RSX-S I saw a Red one at our local dealer and was very eye pleasing.

The Gizzer is fine, and here are some new pics of her.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299827
She's about to get her full 2.5" Header back Exhaust with resonated Test pipe put on in about a week.
(mods so far, listed in sig)

sweeeeeeeeeeet!

RSX-S just wasnt for me, plus the 6 is blk on blk, let the waxing begin
Old 03-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Guys thinking of taking the CLS6 down to Florida during the summer time. How is the ride going down I-95 to FL? What is the gas mileage I schould get? Schould I ride down with the 18's or stockers?
I've driven from Philly to Miami too many times to recall. My 03 6-spd has 74K miles on it.

I've done it in 17.5 hours door to door but at that rate you won't get max mileage. Above 90mph mileage really drops off. Moderate driving will get you a reliable 28mpg.

Stockers should be easier on your butt. Consider how many continuous hours you plan on sitting.

The actual ride is quite pleasant if you go on a non-holiday period. For instance, right now is BAD as everyone is going to Orlando. I-95 is a continuous string of vans and SUVs.

Police here in Maryland are notorious so be careful. You probably already have a good radar detector so make sure you use it.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The actual ride is quite pleasant if you go on a non-holiday period. For instance, right now is BAD as everyone is going to Orlando. I-95 is a continuous string of vans and SUVs.
Unless you drive at night like me. I miss all the traffic this way. Like leave NY at 8pm, drive straight get into FL at 8 or 9am the next day, I'm back in West Palm by 2pm.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

I drove from PA to Cocoa Beach FL back in 2001 with my Red 2001 Slushbox CL-S.
I averaged 28-29 MPG and once got 31.
It’s not that bad a trip if you have at least one other driver to share the duties.
My wife didn’t want to drive so I did the entire thing myself.
We left at about 8AM and stopped for the night in South Carolina. Then finished up the trip the following morning.

Just last month, three friends and I did the drive down to Florida for the Daytona 500 NASCAR race.
We took his new Toyota Sienna minivan and drove straight through.
I think we set a new minivan speed record on the way down.
We left Quakertown PA at 10PM and crossed Georgia/Florida border at 10:30AM the following morning.
We rolled into Orlando at 12:30 so our entire trip was only 14 1/2 hours !!!
According to our calculations, we AVERAGED nearly 75MPH and that’s with two fuel stops.

Definitely don’t do the trip without a V1 (or something nearly as good) sitting on the dash.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Team Owner

Should I ride down with the 18's or stockers?
If you have the 18’s on, just be sure to watch out for construction zones.
When I drove down to Virginia last year I hit construction outside of Washington DC.
It was dark and I hit this one section of uneven roadway at about 75MPH and the entire car shuddered.
I thought for sure I blew both front tires.
I slowed way down and got off at the next exit to survey the damage.
Somehow miraculously nothing was bent.
I think it’s because my Rims are forged and quite strong.
A lightweight 18 or 19 would have been destroyed.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Ravi.........whats up man......spring is almost here maybe in a month we schould plan a ross dock meet..

anyway thanks for the info!
Definately. I missed the one this weekend, was sick as a dog. Called out sick as a dog today. Can't wait for spring.

Liks Shawn S said, watch the construction zones. I have a friend that drives from VA to NC all the time and she said it's usually smooth sailing. Keep an eye out for "the man" and you should be OK.

Post some pics of your car, I think I only saw the ones from the dealer.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:08 PM
06nbp/blk int/navi/6mt

i drove a 27 ft penske from jax, fl-to my hometown brooklyn ny and then back.
the drive sucks. north carolina is so boring and long and do you know what its like to have that truck on the new jersey turnpike in traffic! it was hell! and the truck was manual. i would say that your ride will be great in the cl, but you should put the stockers on in case of a blow out. are you driving straight through?? i did and it only took me 18 hours non stop minus gas, food, and a few bathroom breaks.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:43 PM

thanks for all the info guys.........I would like to put the 18's on for the ride down, Also it would be with my girl and she doesnt drive stick so it will only be me driving witch I dont mind. I just cant drive with the stockers while I am in FL