another race, another innocent person dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002 | 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SiGGy
I'm sorry, but it's not the guys fault who pulled out in front of them. It's the kids racing who's fault it was. It makes me a bit sad hearing about this. As I have lost a few friends in car accidents. Anyone who says it's the guys fault who pulled out in front needs to grow up a bit. And stop making excuses...

If they were only going 40, the accident most likely would not have happened. Nor would there be any likelyhood of their being any casualtys. And then accident would have been cause by the guy pulling out. Not the young and dumb kids racing...

We used to race all of the time where I'm from. Late at night and back in an industrial area. No people around. And you could go weigh in your car on the truck scale... (this is in suburbs of Chicago, and even Downtown by lake and pulaski)

Also, look at who we know who was breaking the law. The racers were speeding... thats a fact. The guy pulling out was not... that's also a fact. Try judging a car's speed at it is comming straight towards you, it isn't easy. Watch a race on TV sometime, you see the cameras looking at the cars head on, they don't look like they're moving all that fast. As soon as you seem them hit a turn, they zip out of the frame at 120... Also, at night it gets dark... Get it? Dark? As in little or no light. Try turning off the lights in your bedroom... can you see? Try turning on a flashlight. Can you see? Yes... but not as well as you would with the normal lights on. Duh... The racing individuals were 100% at fault. Accept it and move on.
Old 01-21-2002 | 11:01 PM
Old timer

I'm sorry, but it's not the guys fault who pulled out in front of them
That's right, the fault is not his, the fault lies with the kids racing. I'm glad you're able to tell us this, because none of us knew this before you informed us of it. In fact, we haven't been discussing that at all in the past three pages, so I'm glad you brought that up.

And Scorpius, your valued contribution to this thread is also highly regarded. You, too, deserve many thanks and much admiration for your conclusion that it is indeed dark at night.
Old 01-21-2002 | 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm ?!?!?

lol

I was just stating my opinion to those who still thought it was "the guy pulling out" fault.

I don't believe any of our comments were directed to anyone specifically, but more the ideas. Too bad they *offended* you. As it is just *my* opinion.

This is a sounding board... a forum... You going to get everyones opinions like 'em or not...
Old 01-21-2002 | 11:27 PM
Old timer

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm ?!?!?

lol
Oh just a little.

I was just stating my opinion to those who still thought it was "the guy pulling out" fault.
I don't think anyone's insinuated that it was that guy's fault.

I don't believe any of our comments were directed to anyone specifically, but more the ideas. Too bad they *offended* you. As it is just *my* opinion.
Uhm, who is offended? I'm not offended at all. I don't think anyone else is offended either. What exactly were we supposed to be offended by?

Personally, I found it quite interesting that you would argue against an idea that no one has put forth, and by doing so you only ended up saying what the rest of us have been saying for the past three pages.

If anything your post was comical, not offensive. Unless I missed something in your post with which you intended to offend?

This is a sounding board... a forum... You going to get everyones opinions like 'em or not...
Congratulations, you've successfully identified the type of website at which you are posting. I'm sorry I don't have a prize available for you.
Old 01-21-2002 | 11:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

LOL

ok... I'm not going to get into a sarcastic war with you. common...

I agree with your comments about it being redundant. It is... SO WHAT? I was just reinforcing what was said with my own words. Which is why I was stating its a sounding board/forum. Somtimes people feel better when they can state their own opinions. It allows some to release a bit with their own words.

My post was supposed to be a bit amusing especially the last paragraph. But the 1st paragraph was serious. If you didn't have any issues with my post why would you follow up with one saying it was redundant? and follow up with such childish sarcasm? What did/do you have to gain from it?

If I did misread a post prior and someone didn't say "it was the guy pulling out fault" then my bad... If that is the case, there is much nicer ways of correcting people.

anyway... were getting completely off subject.
Old 01-22-2002 | 07:05 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by Scorpius

Also, look at who we know who was breaking the law. The racers were speeding... thats a fact. The guy pulling out was not... that's also a fact. Try judging a car's speed at it is comming straight towards you, it isn't easy.
The racing individuals were 100% at fault. Accept it and move on.
The racers were speeding - that is breaking the law.

The other driver pulled out into their lane, taking away their right-of-way.

That is also breaking the law.

You can not take away another drivers right-of-way. I don't think the guy even tried judging the other cars speed. Assumptions should not replace judgment. He assumed they were not speeding.

All drivers involved carry responsibility for the accident. How much will be up to the court system.
Old 01-22-2002 | 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Bluto

The racers were speeding - that is breaking the law.

The other driver pulled out into their lane, taking away their right-of-way.

That is also breaking the law.

The guy pulling out probably assumes they were doing 40mph... at night at a low angle its hard to tell speed... Why is this such a hard concept? Its the racers fault, end of story.
Old 01-22-2002 | 07:27 AM
Intermediate

JRock - looks like you'll have to start all over again....

I completely agree with your line of logic. Was the event affected by an outside influence...yes...the guy that pulled in front of the racers...therefore, his fault. QED

BTW, I would contend that drivers in Florida - all of it - are the worst. My wife works for emergency services and has people on a daily basis pull out in front of her 80,000 lb firetruck. That by definition would be a moron.

Old 01-22-2002 | 08:19 AM
Old timer

The guy pulling out probably assumes they were doing 40mph...
"Assumption is the mother of all fuckups" I believe is the phrase.

To put it in everyday language, just because you assume doesn't make you right. You can assume the road will be clear and pull out into traffic, but when you turn out to be wrong, you would be the one at fault for ASSUMING instead of actually VERIFYING. However in this case they were racing so they were equally at fault, as both parties are apparently breaking the law according to Bluto and REDLINER.

It seems no matter how you try to spin it, Scorpius, you're still wrong.

REDLINER - ah yes, you have all the senile retired people in Cadillacs who don't deserve licenses. Meanwhile I deal with the inbred retards in pickup-trucks, SUVs, and family sedans. Take your pick, I guess. :-\
Old 01-22-2002 | 08:53 AM
Race Director

if the racers were speeding, it was not the guy who pulled outs fault.

I was in an accident like this before, and because my friend was speeding, he was at fault. He bumped some other persons bumper, nothin major, but it was his fault for speeding.

The scenario was identical to the one above, except it wasnt as fast, and no fatalities.

I could tell how fast cars are going, but its hard. Its also definetly not supposed to be a requirement to be driving on the road. And you cant expect peopple to be able to tell how fast others are going.
Old 01-22-2002 | 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JRock

To put it in everyday language, just because you assume doesn't make you right. You can assume the road will be clear and pull out into traffic, but when you turn out to be wrong, you would be the one at fault for ASSUMING instead of actually VERIFYING. However in this case they were racing so they were equally at fault, as both parties are apparently breaking the law according to Bluto and REDLINER.

It seems no matter how you try to spin it, Scorpius, you're still wrong.
The courts would tend to agree with me... They were speeding... not only speeding, but twice the limit. Therefore it was 100% their fault. What part of that don't you understand? Also, how many times do I have to say its hard to judge a car's epeed at a low angle? Maybe tatoo it on your forhead? Jesus Christ... Get your head out of your ass and catch a dose of reality.
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:41 PM
Old timer

... not only speeding, but twice the limit. Therefore it was 100% their fault.
So if they were only going five over the limit, it wouldn't be 100% their fault? What kind of silly logic do you use?!

And for the last time you simpleton, I already agree it was their fault. Stop preaching to the choir, as it were.
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:52 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by amirsafdari
And you cant expect peopple to be able to tell how fast others are going.
No but it should be a requirement to be able to tell "going fast" from "going slow". But of course we've come to accept stupidity from drivers and thus we don't require them to be able to tell relative speed. This is what needs to be fixed; Stupid needs to be prevented from getting behind the wheel. I believe I addressed this in much detail previously.

Contrary to what we would be led to think, driving is not something any idiot can do successfully. The number and variety of accidents that can and do occur proves that. The number of stupid maneuvers we see performed all throughout the day just reinforces it.
Old 01-22-2002 | 01:02 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Definately sad to see. With more and more young drivers on the road this stuff is gonna keep happening.
I think there are less teens in this country now, by percentage, than there have been since the Baby Boomers.

I think teens today are often careless and our driving schools are jokes ...
Old 01-22-2002 | 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

They might as well sell licenses in .25c machines.

Since they just seem to give them away now! Anyone can get one!
Old 01-22-2002 | 03:21 PM
Banned

So if they were only going five over the limit, it wouldn't be 100% their fault? What kind of silly logic do you use?!

And for the last time you simpleton, I already agree it was their fault. Stop preaching to the choir, as it were.
There is a difference between going +5 and going +40mph over the limit. What kind of silly logic are you using?
Old 01-22-2002 | 05:08 PM
Instructor

well regardless of what jrock keeps saying or implying, street racing is not safe and there is no absolute 'ideal' condition for it.

to me this is very similiar to saying:

" i enjoy shooting my rifle. i like to compete with my friends that also like to shoot rifles. but instead of going to a shooting range, i'm going to go into my front yard and place an apple on my wife's head and me and him are going to take turns trying to shoot the apple.. and if a little kid crossing the street distracts my wife and we shoot her by mistake, then whoopdedoo its the idiot kid's fault for distracting my wife.. "

replace racing with competitive shooting, replace shooting range with race track, and replace the guns with cars, and i think you get the point.. a car in the hands of an immature person is nothing more than a 3500 lb bullet anyway..

if this is true then people that race are the biggest fuckups because they assume the road is clear and all theirs..

the simple fact is going twice the speed limit means you are covering twice the road in half the time. and im pretty damn sure no vehicle is able to stop in the same distance as 80mph as they can at 40 mph..
Old 01-22-2002 | 05:50 PM
Old timer

There is a difference between going +5 and going +40mph over the limit.
In our eyes yes, but in the eyes of the law both are completely illegal.

You can go five miles an hour over the speed limit or you can go 20 over, but either way you are still literally and technically breaking the law.

For you to say that if they had only been racing at five over the posted limit they wouldn't have been speeding, or that they would be less at fault is wrong.

And before you try to take this further off-course arguing that going five over is different from going twenty over:

The only difference is in the punishment you receive for going 5 over versus 20 over. Most of the time you will not even be stopped for five over. That doesn't mean it's not illegal or even "less illegal" (which is an impossibility as things are either legal or illegal), it just means the cops know it's not worth their while to pull you over.
Old 01-22-2002 | 05:58 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by nt5k
well regardless of what jrock keeps saying or implying, street racing is not safe and there is no absolute 'ideal' condition for it.
I haven't said anything that contradicts that statement and infact I agree with what you are saying.

if this is true then people that race are the biggest fuckups because they assume the road is clear and all theirs..
Racers on a busy street or a side street, yup, I'd agree with that too.
Old 01-22-2002 | 08:23 PM
Banned

In our eyes yes, but in the eyes of the law both are completely illegal.

You can go five miles an hour over the speed limit or you can go 20 over, but either way you are still literally and technically breaking the law.

For you to say that if they had only been racing at five over the posted limit they wouldn't have been speeding, or that they would be less at fault is wrong.

And before you try to take this further off-course arguing that going five over is different from going twenty over:

The only difference is in the punishment you receive for going 5 over versus 20 over. Most of the time you will not even be stopped for five over. That doesn't mean it's not illegal or even "less illegal" (which is an impossibility as things are either legal or illegal), it just means the cops know it's not worth their while to pull you over.

I understand that... Actually yeah... A cop won't arrest you for going +5... He will nail you to the wall if you're going +40. Go try it.
If you can't see that +5 is different than +40 I don't know what to tell you. Go take a math course or something.
Old 01-22-2002 | 09:02 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Regardless, it's still fucked up, and another loss of life over a macho dick thing!
Old 01-22-2002 | 11:15 PM
Old timer

I understand that... Actually yeah... A cop won't arrest you for going +5... He will nail you to the wall if you're going +40. Go try it.

That would be exactly what I implied. You really don't even read my posts, you just imagine an argument for me, quote my reply, and continue arguing your imaginary argument.

If you can't see that +5 is different than +40 I don't know what to tell you. Go take a math course or something.

And for that post you do now receive:

Congratulations, Scorpius, for being completely unable to comprehend the type-written word.

It is completely obvious to any of us that there is a numerical difference between 5 and 40 miles per hour above a posted limit, however, technically and literally BOTH speeds are illegal. That was my point and in it I am correct.

Feel free at any time to stop responding to this thread because thus far every response of yours had increased everyone else's awareness of your true level of intelligence.
Old 01-23-2002 | 04:38 AM
7th Gear

jesus

Jesus, I swear, this is the longest thread about nothing. The dude that pulled out did not cause the accident. Nor was he at fault. Have you ever looked at a train coming at you 80 miles an hour. It looks like it's going 20. That's because there's no decent point of reference to judge the speed. Same with a car at night. Dipshits who drive 80 in a 40 CAUSE that shit. And it's their freaking FAULT, too. It's dumbfucks who blame the person pulling out that need to get the fuck off the road. They think they know everything and they don't know jack. I've raced plenty, and I know if someone one pulls out in front of me while I'm doing 90 on S. Lamar, I'm in deep shit, and I deserve it. Fuck. Grow up.
Old 01-23-2002 | 04:52 AM
7th Gear

oh and

another thing. About the 5 mph and 20 mph thing. Yes, they are both illegal. Big fucking deal. Here's a little experiment:

Go run over your grandmother at 5 mph, then run over her at 20, then ask her which one she liked more. Dumbfuck.

The force of impact going 80 is NOT twice as bad the force of impact going 40. It's a shitload more. Open a physics book, and look it up yourself.
Old 01-23-2002 | 08:11 AM
Banned

That would be exactly what I implied. You really don't even read my posts, you just imagine an argument for me, quote my reply, and continue arguing your imaginary argument.

And for that post you do now receive:

Congratulations, Scorpius, for being completely unable to comprehend the type-written word.

It is completely obvious to any of us that there is a numerical difference between 5 and 40 miles per hour above a posted limit, however, technically and literally BOTH speeds are illegal. That was my point and in it I am correct.

Feel free at any time to stop responding to this thread because thus far every response of yours had increased everyone else's awareness of your true level of intelligence.
You have no understanding of anything. How old are you? 16? Since we're posting awards...

The speeders were at fault... plain and simple. I'm repeatingmyself... Yes... because unlike your half assed theories the facts don't change. Get a clue.
Old 01-23-2002 | 10:08 AM
Old timer

You have no understanding of anything. How old are you? 16? Since we're posting awards...
[img]Puerile attempt at countering my image[img]

The speeders were at fault... plain and simple. I'm repeatingmyself... Yes... because unlike your half assed theories the facts don't change. Get a clue.
See this reply for what I would be saying right here:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...667#post669164

You are truly a moron. You can't even read a simple declarative sentence which I have written numerous times in this thread: The racers were at fault.
Old 01-23-2002 | 10:19 AM
Old timer

Re: jesus

Originally posted by jmaag
The dude that pulled out did not cause the accident.
Actually he did. Had his car not pulled out, that accident would not have occured. That is 100% fact.

That can pulling out is a NECESSARY element for the accident to occur.

The fact that they were racing is NOT a necessary element for that accident to occur, because someone pulling out in front of you, no matter what speed you are driving, can cause an accident.

Dipshits who drive 80 in a 40 CAUSE that shit.
Wrong again. You really need to take a course in logic and reason as you clearly do not comprehend what cause and effect are.

The effect of the accident could not have happened without a cause, and that cause is the driver pulling out.

Why is it the driver pulling out and not the racers racing that caused the accident? Because you follow a chronology of events to determine the cause.

First, you have a road.
Then you have two people racing on it.
Then you have someone pulling out.
Then you have an accident.

The cause is clearly the person pulling out. But fault lies on the racers because they were racing and it is illegal.

It's dumbfucks who blame the person pulling out that need to get the fuck off the road.
o_0

I'm not on the road, smarty, I'm sitting here at my computer wondering how people such as yourself and Scorpius perform complicated tasks like eating or brushing your teeth when you can't even delineate cause and effect from fault. Do you eat the food and then try to cook it? Do you tend to put the toothpaste on after you're done brushing? Do you then blame the packaging you didn't even bother to read or the instructions you didn't bother to follow? Judging by your posts, those wouldn't be far-fetched occurrences.
Old 01-23-2002 | 10:25 AM
Old timer

Re: oh and

Originally posted by jmaag
another thing. About the 5 mph and 20 mph thing. Yes, they are both illegal. Big fucking deal. Here's a little experiment:

Go run over your grandmother at 5 mph, then run over her at 20, then ask her which one she liked more. Dumbfuck.

The force of impact going 80 is NOT twice as bad the force of impact going 40. It's a shitload more. Open a physics book, and look it up yourself.
First of all, lose your childish attitude. You sound like Scorpius and it lowers everyone's opinion of you.

Second, it is clear to everyone there is a difference in speed between 5 and 20 and any other number you wish to choose, over a posted limit.

The fact is BOTH speeds are illegal and that was the only point. Scorpius seemed to think that it wouldn't be the racers' fault if they were only breaking the law a little. Thing is, there is no "a little", there is only breaking or not breaking a law. Law is black-and-white, there is no grey area.

I never said the impact would be equal at both speeds - why do you insist on pretending I'm some common fool who doesn't know the basics of physics just so you can argue some crazy tangent debate?

Your posts entice me to assume you are merely a second account run by Scorpius. I'll trust you aren't, but your posts lead me to think otherwise.
Old 01-23-2002 | 10:34 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

From a logically point of view, the high speed of the racing car caused the accident.

Why?

Have the same set events except that instead of racing cars use cars running at the speed limit. Then if a car pulled out the car that is closing in from high speed >>may<< have slowed enough to avoid the accident.

This logic could be screwed if the driver of car that pulled out and blocked the lane was so stupid ass driver that there is no way the incoming traffic can slow down to avoid the accident.. So, he is dead and it is his fault....

I see a lof of those stupid ass driver around, I just stear clear of those.... I just wished the can be ticked too... Hey cop ...saw... pull him over...
Old 01-23-2002 | 10:59 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
From a logically(sic) point of view, the high speed of the racing car caused the accident.
No, because until the other car turned onto the road, there was no car to have an accident with. His turning onto the road allowed an accident to be possible.

I see a lof of those stupid ass driver around, I just stear clear of those.... I just wished the can be ticked too... Hey cop ...saw... pull him over...
:sqnteek:

Please, get a dictionary and a guide to forming sentences that make sense. People will actually be able to understand what you're saying. It'll be amazing, trust me.
Old 01-23-2002 | 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

JRock:

God you're tedious... You've voiced your opinion in this thread at least a dozen times. We get it. You’re not going to change anyone’s mind (including mine) that doesn't agree with you and obviously nothing anyone has to say is going to change yours. Are we done now?
Old 01-23-2002 | 11:13 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

:sqnteek:

Please, get a dictionary and a guide to forming sentences that make sense. People will actually be able to understand what you're saying. It'll be amazing, trust me.
It should read:

I see a lof of those stupid ass drivers on the roads.
I just steer clear of those drivers....
I wished cops would ticket those drivers too...
Hey cop ...did you see him?... pull him over...

Is it better?
Old 01-23-2002 | 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Lol I had to signup just to reply to this message. First of all, of course, Im saddened at the loss of innocent life--a loss which Im sure will be used to send the (surviving) racers to jail for a long time. And while I dont have too much compassion for these people, I agree with JRock, in proclaiming the guy who pulled out infront of the honda's as a fuking moron. I live really close to a college in Southern California, and as a result, I see lots of really fast rice rockets flying down the street. But even in the dead of night, on curvy roads, I can tell the speed of oncomming cars enough to know when to merge into the street. I mean comeon, true you dont have to know how to drive Formula 1 racers to get a drivers licence, you do have to have a feel of how other cars on the road are moving. In a 40mhp road, I think anybody (on this board at least), will be able to tell if a person is going arround 80--this doesnt you need to measure the exact speed, but you should at least be able to determine whether, when you merge into a street, the other car reach your position or not.

P.S. While I dont COMPLETLY agree with your position JRock, I must say I admire you for standing up to the barrage of replies by the other people
Old 01-23-2002 | 12:36 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

It should read:

I see a lof of those stupid ass drivers on the roads.
I just steer clear of those drivers....
I wished cops would ticket those drivers too...
Hey cop ...did you see him?... pull him over...

Is it better?
What's a "lof"?

God you're tedious... You've voiced your opinion in this thread at least a dozen times. We get it.
I don't wish to keep pointing out what I'm saying but a couple people (Scorpius and jmaag) can't read and comprehend and therefore can't seem to put the thought together that I clearly said the fault is on the racers.

They insist on continuing to point out that the fault is on the racers and act like I am saying it isn't, when I clearly said that it was (repeatedly as you noticed).

I'm the one who is frustrated here... frustrated by their thickheadedness. I would have liked to have only said it once but aparently their comprehension level requires multiple posts saying the same thing before it sinks in (assuming it will sink in at all).

I can tell the speed of oncomming cars enough to know when to merge into the street.
Exactly. Most normal people can. This idiot who pulled out in front of them cannot. He should have recognized their ridiculous speed and waited until they went by and had safely wrapped their 4-bangers around telephone poles before he pulled out onto the street. And he must have been deaf as well because we can all hear a fartpipe straining from a mile away.