Another big brake question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Another big brake question

I've been researching the differences between the big brake setups and simply the Rotora and upgrade pad setup. Is it true there is only a 5 to 10 foot change in stopping distance with the CL's?

There's a two year old thread on the subject I was wondering if there's an update from someone. Trying to choose between BBK's and headers.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
5-10ft difference? I don't think so...

IMO: BBK > Headers

the best mod for this car
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

Thank you!
I was hoping you'll respond.
I had a little scare and started leaning heavily toward the brakes. It just didn't sound right that using four piston calibers would give you just ten feet. Some say it's overkill but I'd rather stop quick than go fast it this point in my life.
I'll use my next spare grand on the headers.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
5-10ft difference? I don't think so...

IMO: BBK > Headers

the best mod for this car
It's amayzing the difference in breaking with the BBK and SS lines. THe only down side is that I find myself letting off of the brakes because the drivers behind don't expect the car to stop so fast. BBK definitely will give you more control and confidence in situations that can go bad real quickly.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the bbk come with rotors, as well?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by All Mine
Yes. Usually the rotors are larger than stock and come with the calipers.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by All Mine
ROTORA's BBK for the CL/TL/TSX includes enlarged slotted and drilled rotors (14"), 4-Piston calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and racing ceramic pads. This obviously all for the front of the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by Excelerate
ROTORA's BBK for the CL/TL/TSX includes enlarged slotted and drilled rotors (14"), 4-Piston calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and racing ceramic pads. This obviously all for the front of the vehicle.
I think you need to check your facts. 1 Piece 13" rotors for the Rotora CL/TL kit (330mm X 23mm). The kit also comes with Carbon Kevlar Pads - Not Race Ceramics. Pads are considered Street Performance and are similar compound to Axxis Ultimates.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Adventurist.

14" did sound good though, huh?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
14" did sound good though, huh?
I wish. Would have given me a reason to upgrade my wheels too
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

THANKS........
Helpful as usual!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Instructor

To the OP, just out of curiousity, do you race and/or track your CL? Do you find that you're nailing the brakes hard regularly? If not, I'd suggest going with a very high performance pad before moving up to the BBK. Its hard to imagine why there's a need for a BBK on most CL's out there. Having powerful brakes is great, but seems like a significant expense for something that you'll rarely get any tangible benefit from. I have a NSX that I put stainless steel brake lines on along with track pads (Carbotech Panther Plus), with stock calipers and stock rotors and I can stop unbelievably well with this setup. If you are not racing the car (heck even if you are), I would try this step first before spending all that money on the BBK.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
What to do, what to think

Originally Posted by GOTTSPD
To the OP, just out of curiousity, do you race and/or track your CL? Do you find that you're nailing the brakes hard regularly? If not, I'd suggest going with a very high performance pad before moving up to the BBK. Its hard to imagine why there's a need for a BBK on most CL's out there. Having powerful brakes is great, but seems like a significant expense for something that you'll rarely get any tangible benefit from. I have a NSX that I put stainless steel brake lines on along with track pads (Carbotech Panther Plus), with stock calipers and stock rotors and I can stop unbelievably well with this setup. If you are not racing the car (heck even if you are), I would try this step first before spending all that money on the BBK.
good point...i was just thinking about upgrading the pads and rotors on stock calipers
Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
What to do, what to think

but although the BBK kit also gives a nice look into the car...its all bling just like the SPOON calipers...works as equal towards the stock calipers
Old 08-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Adventurist.

I disagree. The brakes on the CL just plain suck, I have never driven a luzury car with such substandard brakes that the CL has. It was a great surprise to me that Acura would have the balls to put single piston calipers on a 3500# car that has the ability to accelerate like a bat out of hell but stop like a ball rolling down a hill.

The BBK has saved my ass numerous times from incidents where I would have been well into the next cabin of the car in front of me because the lady in front of me decides to brake at a green light on her cell phone.

Upgrades in lines, pads, and rotors only edge itself over the performance of the stock braking system. The BBK leaps and laps around the stock braking system...

There is a big difference between an NSX (which has the braking capabilities) and the CL (which Acura marketed pre-G35 as a performance coupe).
Old 08-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

No it's an all street auto, I haven't taken it to the track or driven it in a way where I do alot of heavy braking or sudden stops. I currently have Rotora slots, Axxis Metal masters and stainless lines and did feel comfortable with that setup. But that little adventure earlier plus the almost endless cell phone talking, paper reading, oh shit that's my turn road rookies out here just makes me feel that a investment in safety may be worth it. I know there are a few options left before spending that kind of money and I thank you for pointing some out but some investments pay dividends in the long term.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
1 Piece 13" rotors for the Rotora CL/TL kit (330mm X 23mm). The kit also comes with Carbon Kevlar Pads - Not Race Ceramics. Pads are considered Street Performance and are similar compound to Axxis Ultimates.
You're right. I did my calculation wrong. It is 13 inches. But to you, there is an optional racing competition ceramic pad that you can get with the kit although it does come standard with the street performance pad.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by Excelerate
You're right. I did my calculation wrong. It is 13 inches. But to you, there is an optional racing competition ceramic pad that you can get with the kit although it does come standard with the street performance pad.

Key word is Optional. I know that there's a ceramic pad option. Red Rider used to run those in his kit. I was just stating that they don't come with the kit. Ceramic race pads typically need to be warmed up before they reach their full braking potential.

BTW - what's your price on replacement pads for the BBK (standard Carbon Kevlar units)? I may want to keep a spare set around.