Alternative V1 installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002 | 09:02 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Alternative V1 installation...

I don't have pics yet but I recently installed my V1 using my preferred & very easy method: from the front courtesy light, just above the rearview mirror.

BTW, I chose to place the V1 on the windshield directly below the rearview mirror. Placing it to the left, like Shawn's, partially blocks the visor.

This is the 3rd car (94 SHO, 99 SHO, 03 CL) it's been in and this method worked fine.

This installation uses the coiled cord. I prefer it because it is simpler to hide when the V1 is dismounted.

1) Remove the plastic lens (instructions in manual).

2) Drop entire light housing by removing 4 machine screws (Phillips heads). You can now easily see the front gap between the headliner and the roof. You will be fishing the power cord through this gap to the V1.

3) The housing is fed by 2 wires. Both are striped but one is mostly black. This black wire is the ground. The other is "hot".

4) Mount your V1 in your preferred position.

5) To determine how much of the coiled cord will be exposed, plug one end into the V1 and fish the other end through the gap in the headliner back to the exposed wires in step 2.

6) Connect your V1 ground to the black wire and the other wire to the "hot".

7) There's going to be a lot of slack wire and coiled cord left over. Wrap into a tight small bundle and shove the slack into the the empty space between the headliner and the roof. Of course, you can cut all the slack off but your next car may require more wire then you have remaining.

8) Turn on your V1 to make sure that all is working properly.

9) Reinstall the courtesy light housing with the 4 machine screws while making sure the slack wiring is not in the way.

10) Reinstall the plastic lens.

11) When the V1 is not installed I leave the suction cups on the windshield and coil the coiled power cord around the rearview mirror bracket. The cord is unobtrusive there as it disappears in the spotted black background above the mirror.

12) Enjoy the V1!
Old 03-30-2002 | 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Sounds OK, but isn’t the courtesy light “HOT” all the time.
That means you need to remember to turn the V1 off and remove it from sight whenever you park.

And you’re right about my way being in the way of the visor.
It’s just something I’ve learned to live with.

Shawn S
Old 03-30-2002 | 09:20 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by Shawn S
Sounds OK, but isn’t the courtesy light “HOT” all the time.
That means you need to remember to turn the V1 off and remove it from sight whenever you park.

And you’re right about my way being in the way of the visor.
It’s just something I’ve learned to live with.

Shawn S
Yes, it's hot all the time and you do have to remember to turn it off. However, it won't kill your battery even if it's on overnight as it draws very little power. Over 3 cars, I've learned to remember this and it's no problem. Sometimes it's better to do things yourself. After 25 years of driving automatics I'm back in manual transmission car. I didn't forget how to use it.

Ordinarily, I don't use the V1 in normal urban driving. I only use it for highway trips and the method I described permits very quick installation and removal. Also, did you notice how the glove box is perfectly sized to hold the V1 with the Acura manual binder next to it? BTW, I keep the V1 in my old Passport pouch as Mike doesn't sell one.