Alpha Werks headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 PM
yeah..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alpha Werks headers

I would just like to share to everyone how I wasted 6 hours of my time today. I went to Vertex Motorsports to get my Alpha Werks headers installed only to find out that the headers don't fit. Steve, the guy who worked on my car, confirmed that the "A" pipe screw holes don't line up w/ the holes on the front header-- the holes are about a half an inch apart from each other. Since I was not about to force the header in there, I decided to just put my stock ones back in. I called the Alpha Werks customer service line and spoke to Carlos and he confirmed that out of a batch of 100 headers they make, there might be 4 or 5 bad ones (Where the hell is the quality control at?!!). I tried to call Excelerate (the place I purchased my headers from), but they're closed until Tuesday. But if Excelerate really does "strive to offer the highest quality performance parts .. accompanied by attentive customer service" (as listed on their website), then they should refund my money plus the labor costs ($388). I'll keep you guy's posted on the outcome of this.
Right now I am sick to my stomach that Alpha Werks has such low standards when it comes to manufacturing a product. For everyone who has AW headers, I'm glad you had better luck than I did.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:13 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Damn man! Sorry to hear that. Was this today? I thought I saw a CL around there today. Steve is a cool guy! Good luck with the headers.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah..

Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
Damn man! Sorry to hear that. Was this today? I thought I saw a CL around there today. Steve is a cool guy! Good luck with the headers.
Yeah it was today and that was probably my car you saw (black CL). I was the guy right across from it. Steve is a pretty cool and well knowledgeable guy. I felt bad for wasting his time, though.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Another HUGE reason to spend the extra cash and go right the first time... COMPTECH
Old 09-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Another HUGE reason to spend the extra cash and go right the first time... COMPTECH

to yo motha
Old 09-16-2005, 08:55 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Yeah, Vertex installed my nitrous kit when I had it. Are they going to send you another set of headers or refund you that money you paid? Holy crap, did they go up in prices? Back when I got my headers installed I thought they only charged like 3 hours or labor. Ok so that was your CL i saw. I was going to go by there while I was taking a break from lunch and then had to go back so didn't have a chance to stop in. Anyway, good luck on resolving the issue!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
no offense but two things o would have checked before hand is ...one put the headers together first before i even took it in to install and two it has been common to put the rear bank to the front collector and front to rear if you understand what im saying?....100% that wasnt the case?

on a side note i went to KFC the other night and i was like whats the difference between the honey BBQ and sweet and spicy? the kid at the drive through acctually said and i quote " the honey BBQ is like BBQ with honey and the sweet and spicy is like sweet and ...spicy"

ohhh no shit?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:58 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by typeR
no offense but two things o would have checked before hand is ...one put the headers together first before i even took it in to install and two it has been common to put the rear bank to the front collector and front to rear if you understand what im saying?....100% that wasnt the case?

on a side note i went to KFC the other night and i was like whats the difference between the honey BBQ and sweet and spicy? the kid at the drive through acctually said and i quote " the honey BBQ is like BBQ with honey and the sweet and spicy is like sweet and ...spicy"

ohhh no shit?

lol
Old 09-16-2005, 10:14 PM
yeah..

Originally Posted by typeR

ohhh no shit?
That wasn't the case. We tried that. The problem wasn't the placement of the holes themselves, but it was the way the "A" pipe was bent, it wouldn't line up w/ the front bank. So even if I put it together before hand, I still wouldn't be able to tell if it was defective (unless I was familiar w/ how the A pipe's shape was supposed to look like). Maybe Excelerate sent me the wrong type of header?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Advanced

i just got miine in the mail from excelerate.. they look good i dont understand what does not fit? i hope i dont have any problems installing mine
Old 09-17-2005, 12:11 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just got mine too and one manifold has both connecting surfaces bent, I tried to attach to A pipe and it doesn't fit properly. and on that same manifold the ports look small and they were not machined

check this out A header bad, B header good
http://www.belcomnet.com/headers/
Old 09-17-2005, 12:19 AM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Darn man that doesn't sound too good either.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Advanced

so they arent fitting becuse they are bent? or warped?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by belcom
just got mine too and one manifold has both connecting surfaces bent, I tried to attach to A pipe and it doesn't fit properly. and on that same manifold the ports look small and they were not machined

check this out A header bad, B header good
http://www.belcomnet.com/headers/
I thought mine were bad. The A-pipe flanges and collector flanges on mine are about the same but the head flange on your's is really bad. Is it the picture or is the "A" header more yellow than the other. Looks like it was used and discolored by heat but inside the port looks clean. These things must be made overseas. Not only are the flanges not flat on mine but they aren't parallel to each other either. Everything had to be put together as loose as possible and "pulled" together with the bolts. I suspect they'll eventually crack with the stress that's put on them by forcing them together. I guess that's what I get for thinking this was a good deal.

I also talked to Carlos and he quoted it a little differently "Out of 100 THAT GET SENT BACK 4 or 5 will be bad." Do that many people have problems with these?

On a good note, your O2 sensor bung looks like it's angled back giving it more clearance. Mine was straight and hit the engine. I had to some grinding to make it fit.

Dan
Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by illogical
I tried to call Excelerate (the place I purchased my headers from), but they're closed until Tuesday. But if Excelerate really does "strive to offer the highest quality performance parts .. accompanied by attentive customer service" (as listed on their website), then they should refund my money plus the labor costs ($388).
First of all, don't try and smear my name before you have even contacted me. I have a solid reputation on this forum and I will not have you bad mouthing me because you may have an issue.

Now, I am on vacation but wanted to check for the forums and my PM's so I have come across this thread. Now, if you happen to have a valid issue in reference to the fitment of the headers and you need a replacement you will need to contact Alpha Werks at 1-800-758-9105. I have already sent some information to them regarding your issue and will help you in the communication process with them. I will be returning to my business on Tuesday.

It is possible that you received a defective header. If so, they will replace it. And no, I did not send you the wrong header. The headers are the same for the CL/TL/Accord V6.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
yeah..

Originally Posted by Excelerate
First of all, don't try and smear my name before you have even contacted me. I have a solid reputation on this forum and I will not have you bad mouthing me because you may have an issue.

Now, I am on vacation but wanted to check for the forums and my PM's so I have come across this thread. Now, if you happen to have a valid issue in reference to the fitment of the headers and you need a replacement you will need to contact Alpha Werks at 1-800-758-9105. I have already sent some information to them regarding your issue and will help you in the communication process with them. I will be returning to my business on Tuesday.

It is possible that you received a defective header. If so, they will replace it. And no, I did not send you the wrong header. The headers are the same for the CL/TL/Accord V6.
How am I smearing your name? You sold me DEFECTIVE SHIT! You smeared your own name! And I don't want a replacement. Why would I want to waste my time with another AW header? I just want my god damn money back PLUS labor costs.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:03 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by RooEng
I thought mine were bad. The A-pipe flanges and collector flanges on mine are about the same but the head flange on your's is really bad. Is it the picture or is the "A" header more yellow than the other. Looks like it was used and discolored by heat but inside the port looks clean. These things must be made overseas. Not only are the flanges not flat on mine but they aren't parallel to each other either. Everything had to be put together as loose as possible and "pulled" together with the bolts. I suspect they'll eventually crack with the stress that's put on them by forcing them together. I guess that's what I get for thinking this was a good deal.

I also talked to Carlos and he quoted it a little differently "Out of 100 THAT GET SENT BACK 4 or 5 will be bad." Do that many people have problems with these?

On a good note, your O2 sensor bung looks like it's angled back giving it more clearance. Mine was straight and hit the engine. I had to some grinding to make it fit.

Dan
You know I never thought about the discolouring, and with all the scratches on the flange it and does look somewhat used. That is an interesting point. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I so wanted to install this weekend but it seems that I am out of luck
Old 09-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Did anybody else have this problem or similar when they got it through Exelerate?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Illogical, It isnt Excelerate's fault that the parts were defective. I dont think such a high Rep Vendor would jeperdize its business to sell YOU a defective parts if he know about it. Alpha Werks is the one responsible for the headers. You should contact that company and have them refund you the amount you spend trying to install the headers. Theres no reason to include Excelerate name in this thread at all.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:58 PM
drop em like its hot

seriously excelerate has done nothing wrong at all, he has been responsible and very respectful in his business dealings with people on the forum and has went the extra mile to make sure we were satisfied with his business.

i have AW headers and fitmet was like a glove. it seems that there are bad batches out there being sold, which is a big for AW.

hope you get this resolved, i understand you're upset but dont go flaming the wrong people.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

as for me, I am not flaming at all. and never mentioned Excellerate and that it was his fault. However Excellerate being the seller of the product should make sure that the defective pieces are replaced and customers kept happy. I sent him all the pictures right away and told him there is a problem. We'll see what happens next week. The only thing I am worried about is the shipping, I already had to pay taxes and brokerage fees besides the $50 for shipping. so the shipping cost me overall $150 US. So AW should incur shipping chargers for the defective piece back and forth.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
comptech

sorry to hear that man.. when did you purchase this aw header from excelerate? I purchased mine from him around this May, but never had the chance to install it. I am hoping I wont have any problem with the fitment because i was told it was the batch that has everthing corrercted in term of fitment etc....
Old 09-17-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah..

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. If you want to, just install it yourself and see if everything fits together, rather than bringing it to a shop (that way you don't have to pay labor in case it doesn't fit)

I do believe Excelerate to be a reputable company as I have bought other items from them as well. I just got pissed when they said that I was "smearing" them.. not exactly the response I was expecting, and that was not my initial intention in my first post. Sorry if it was taken that way. But I will be contacting Alpha Werks this week and razing hell. So let's put this shit to a close.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:28 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by illogical
How am I smearing your name? You sold me DEFECTIVE SHIT! You smeared your own name! And I don't want a replacement. Why would I want to waste my time with another AW header? I just want my god damn money back PLUS labor costs.
Turn it down a couple notches..M'kay. I am quite sure you will be taken care of in a professional manner.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Instructor

hope this gets resolved m'kay