for all you mod freaks...question about intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for all you mod freaks...question about intakes

is it just me, or do the filters on some intakes look/feel really crappy? a friend of mine just got a weapon-R intake for his ride, and i was looking at the filter. that stuff feels like the cheap-ass sponge material i can get at a grocery store. it's like a foam sponge. is this how they are now? i remember when trust/greddy/hks had cone filters and it didnt feel this cheap. was it just cuz it was a weapon-R intake?

[This message has been edited by Cee eL eS (edited 02-07-2001).]
Old 02-08-2001, 04:57 AM
Pro

Cee eL eS,

The Greddy/HKS/AEM/RSA intakes are very well made and use good quality material for the intake. The Greddy and HKS uses a different kind of filter material...foam like material if I recalled correctly; whereas the AEM/RSA uses K&N's paper-like filter material. Weapon R intake foam-like material is rather poorly made in my opinion, as I would agree with you, seeing it first hand myself. Supposedly, the Weapon R intake allows more air flow than the other types of intake; however, this also allows more particles to get into your internal engine components.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-08-2001, 05:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah some companies intakes use different filters. I suggest getting one that uses K&N standard filters...they look awesome and perform great!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

The K&Ns do not let any water in also.... Something to keep in mind.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 02-08-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro

ah, i c...good to know that some intakes are still actually worth getting...

btw tel1sps, u say k & n dont let any water in. does this imply that some other intake filters do? which ones?
Old 02-08-2001, 08:12 PM
Banned

That is bullshit!!! The material used is like a sponge, but its the oil used that keeps particles out....Besides, a K&N is just a piece of paper with the same oil. Let me ask you a question, if you drop water on a sponge does water get through to the other side? No, it absorbs it. What does paper do? Essentially the same thing, except paper can absorb less. No intake will keep water out if it gets drenched...K&Ns that have been hit with water are just as useless as any other filter..And when you were talking about Greddy and HKS filters...they are exactly the same as a Weapon-R filter...the increased flow comes from the design of the filter.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Old 02-08-2001, 08:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
That is bullshit!!! The material used is like a sponge, but its the oil used that keeps particles out....Besides, a K&N is just a piece of paper with the same oil. Let me ask you a question, if you drop water on a sponge does water get through to the other side? No, it absorbs it. What does paper do? Essentially the same thing, except paper can absorb less. No intake will keep water out if it gets drenched...K&Ns that have been hit with water are just as useless as any other filter..And when you were talking about Greddy and HKS filters...they are exactly the same as a Weapon-R filter...the increased flow comes from the design of the filter.

</font>
um you are completely wrong. The HKS one is made of foam. The weapon-R one is a piece of shit paper filter that can not be cleaned or well maintained. The K&N one is a combination of different papers that filter the air very well. The reason water doesn't get into a K&N is due to the oils they use on there filters that prevents water from seeping through.

HKS & K&N are very good filters. The weapon R one is good too, but when it gets about 5000 miles on it i suggest you give it the boot and replace it. It'll be more harm cleaning it then replacing it.

------------------
"the needle got buried at 140.....1,500 RPM later...the tach got buried"

pays to be young and crazy

99 3.0 CL
55 Chevy Suburban (chopped, dropped, tubbed and FLAME RETARDENT!!)

58 Eldorado Biarritz
Old 02-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Pro

Moonmaster,

I agree with you that the oil will trap alot of particles, but the more air flow going thru the filter, the more particles it will bring with it. Oil can only do so much. There have been flow studies that show the superiority of high performance intakes compared to stock; however, there's a point of diminishing return. More flow possibly means more power, although that's debatable.

I can't recall, but there was an article in C&D or was it SCC ~ 3-4 yrs ago that did a comparison flow among the various intakes, showing flow rate. The Weapon-R and RSA does flow quite-a-bit compared to other aftermarket intakes, beating out HKS, Greddy, and K&N, but there were more particles trapped in the oil and internal components of the engine.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-08-2001, 08:28 PM
Pro

Moonmaster,

I agree with you that the oil will trap alot of particles, but the more air flow going thru the filter, the more particles it will bring with it. Oil can only do so much. There have been flow studies that show the superiority of high performance intakes compared to stock; however, there's a point of diminishing return. More flow possibly means more power, although that's debatable.

I can't recall, but there was an article in C&D or was it SCC ~ 3-4 yrs ago that did a comparison flow among the various intakes, showing flow rate. The Weapon-R and RSA does flow quite-a-bit compared to other aftermarket intakes, beating out HKS, Greddy, and K&N, but there were more particles trapped in the oil and internal components of the engine.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs