ARE ALL THE MODS REALLY WORTH IT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARE ALL THE MODS REALLY WORTH IT?

Whats up guys...i have a question to ask that I may really use your advice on...
I just bought myself a TYPE - S in red. with NAVI.
I wanted to ask all you TYPE S owners (the ones with the headers, springs, sways, CAI's, filters, exaust, and stuff) ...do you see a real difference in performance...im not talkin DYNO, i mean in real life...you see that your car is faster?
Or is it not worth the upgrades? Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Do a search for Dyno on this board. You will see that people gained a lot of HP from intake, and especially headers.

spiro
Old 03-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
Do a search for Dyno on this board. You will see that people gained a lot of HP from intake, and especially headers.

spiro
</font>
That's not what he asked.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Racer

when i read a post about the lighter rims making a big difference in performance, and also some people take it so far and say stuff like "half a tank of gas is way faster than a full tank" and stuff like that, makes me think its not worth it at all.

Personally, I always have a lot of stuff in the trunk, and if not people with me on weekends, and i always keep my tank full..if i was gonna get the mods, i would only feel how the car would be like with just me in it..if i wanted to do this, i would just empty the car, leave the gas on low, and kick everyone out and drive around and save lots of $$$.. know what i mean?

but this is just me..

i dont know a lot about cars, i read this on this board, but if half a tank of gas makes the car half a second faster, then these mods that only really get you to 6 seconds 0-60 are not worth it for me again this is just me
Old 03-28-2001, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Absolutely!! When I had just the headers I was able to beat my friends CL by 2 car lengths to 60 and 3.5 to 4 lengths by 90. ~40 ponies for ~$1,500 + installation is a good deal.
If you're thinking of modding your suspension buy tires first.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 12:57 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

it all comes down to your hobby and preference... someone would spend thousands to gain couple of horsepowers; someone would spend all the money on the look; someone would cut on other expense to spend on the car... etc, there is nothing wrong with that...

as for me, I am still looking the mod that gives you the most hp... yeah, I care about performance.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
Scrached three rims.
Old 03-28-2001, 01:16 AM
ACME sucks!

I love my springs!!! The best investment I've made since the stock market started its downturn!!!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

Competch springs/35% tint/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim
Old 03-28-2001, 01:36 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

The stickers are definetly worth it.

------------------
OK, so what's the speed of dark?

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 03-28-2001, 02:00 AM
Instructor

So let me ask you this...I belive a stock
CL-s can do 0-60 in like 6.7
Whats the best youve gotten with 1 person, half a tank, and headers and the deal.
I think if it doesnt do that much, ill just put on springs..like EIBACH pro kit (which by the way..lower your car 2 inches...can a CL-s handle that in the city...or is that too low?), also an MBQUART sound system...with 8 fullsize speakers, 5 custom fit tweeters, Rockford Frostgate 10000 watt amp (up too) CAPS, alpine head unit, DVD PLayer, 3 TVS (one is the nav screen) and One laptop. Total price for all this would run me about 5500. Would you rather have all that...or headers and exaust and the deal. I just thinkin to myself...if the performance is truly greater, then ill get the performance mods...if it gives me a .5 second quicker 0-60 time...i much rather get the luxury items. Please, i would really appreciate your opinion on this one. By the way, are there any ground effects available for the CL yet...the TL has them, and that thing came out a year later...damn those acura execs!!!
Old 03-28-2001, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Also forgot...MIKE told me that if i want to mod my suspension, i should get new tires first. Can you guys tell me why, and what do you suggest are the best tires to get for the CL???
Im asking cause i read some reviews, and they said the CL tires have very little protest, so I took that as a good thing.
Im probably wrong.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:16 AM
- daemonichris -

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nirvanaib:
So let me ask you this...I belive a stock
CL-s can do 0-60 in like 6.7
Whats the best youve gotten with 1 person, half a tank, and headers and the deal.
I think if it doesnt do that much, ill just put on springs..like EIBACH pro kit (which by the way..lower your car 2 inches...can a CL-s handle that in the city...or is that too low?), also an MBQUART sound system...with 8 fullsize speakers, 5 custom fit tweeters, Rockford Frostgate 10000 watt amp (up too) CAPS, alpine head unit, DVD PLayer, 3 TVS (one is the nav screen) and One laptop. Total price for all this would run me about 5500. Would you rather have all that...or headers and exaust and the deal. I just thinkin to myself...if the performance is truly greater, then ill get the performance mods...if it gives me a .5 second quicker 0-60 time...i much rather get the luxury items. Please, i would really appreciate your opinion on this one. By the way, are there any ground effects available for the CL yet...the TL has them, and that thing came out a year later...damn those acura execs!!!
</font>
why not get everything?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Nighthawk Black/Ebony
Two 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs, Kenwood 600-watt Amp
Custom CAI
Cleared Headlights, everything Polarg
Old 03-28-2001, 04:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The stock tires tend to fold under spirited drving and squeal like a stuck pig when you push them hard. All in all they just stink.
I've heard good things are the Bridgestone Potenza RE730 and the Toyo T1S Proxies.

Also forgot...MIKE told me that if i want to mod my suspension, i should get new tires first. Can you guys tell me why, and what do you suggest are the best tires to get for the CL???
Im asking cause i read some reviews, and they said the CL tires have very little protest, so I took that as a good thing.
Im probably wrong.
</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 03-28-2001, 04:48 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

Im probably wrong.
</font>
I would have to agree with Mike. I bought springs shocks and sways and put'em all on at the same time, and I regret it. I took the Koni's off and the ride improved but I miss the ride of my old springs. Don't get me wrong, the Comptech springs make a dramatic handling improvement. I just don't think it's a fair trade for the ride sacrifice. I'm going to take them off when I upgrade the wheels and tires. I anticipate keeping the sways, But if I'd done it right I'd be trying the sways after my wheel and tire upgrade was done.

That's just my opinion - lots of people are happy with the springs, as I'm sure they'll tell you. For my part I have a new respect for the Acura engineers who had to make a compromise between handling and comfort. I think their compromise is better than Comptech's improvement.

I think for wheels and tires the hot ticket is some light and strong 17 x8 rims and some 235/45-17 tires. Toyo T1-S's seeem to be the favorite. I'm considering these myself, or Pzero Rosso's.

I think the headers are absolutely worth it. I don't think I want the increased noise associated with a CAI, though.

I also think upgrading the brakes was a good thing.

Getting rid of the Bose stereo was worth it, too.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:47 AM
Pro

Nirvanaib,

It all depends on what your priorities are. Do you want power or cornering performance?

IMO, suspension/tires/rims are the best bang for the buck. I replaced my springs and sways with Comptech. Thus far, I have not regretted anything. This modification has transformed my CL-S into a luxo canyon carver. The body roll is definitely less and transitional movements are much more stable now than before. Ride is more firm, but not bone jarring. I think the firmness has a lot to do with the sways than the springs.

My next modification would be tires as they are the most crucial aspect of your car's cornering capability. In fact, if I were to do it over again, tires would be my first modification, followed by springs, then sways.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 03-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here's my opinion....

Springs/sways: Incredible performance value. For about $1000 installed these two things will transform the handling of the car. Absolutely no regrets.

Headers: Nowhere NEAR the value of springs/sways. For $1200 installed you get a very very SLIGHT increase in acceleration from 5000rpm to redline. Yes, you can feel it, but just barely, IMHO. Do I regret getting them? No. But I could have lived without them.

CAI: Don't have it yet, but since it's only a couple hundred bucks I don't really care what it'll do for my car. I just like the sound so I'm getting one
Old 03-28-2001, 02:39 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FDao:
Nirvanaib,

It all depends on what your priorities are. Do you want power or cornering performance?

IMO, suspension/tires/rims are the best bang for the buck. I replaced my springs and sways with Comptech. Thus far, I have not regretted anything. This modification has transformed my CL-S into a luxo canyon carver. The body roll is definitely less and transitional movements are much more stable now than before. Ride is more firm, but not bone jarring. I think the firmness has a lot to do with the sways than the springs.

My next modification would be tires as they are the most crucial aspect of your car's cornering capability. In fact, if I were to do it over again, tires would be my first modification, followed by springs, then sways.

</font>
That's interesting!

I wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Did you, by any chance, put your sways on after your springs?

I was just wondering if you could comment on what the ride was like with springs and stock sways, and how it changed when you added the Comptech sways.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2001, 03:36 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FDao:
Nirvanaib,

</font>
I agree woth Fdao 100%. IMO the car is fast enough for stock susp. I would recommend susp mods before HP mods. So what if your goes from 0-100 in 5 seconds, your suspension/tires have to be able to handle it. If I had it to do over again I would get tires first... then springs.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1