All mods for the CL...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All mods for the CL...

Hey guys, just got my car back from the dealer for the tranny replacement and I must say the vehicle is slower. The shifting is slugish and I feel as though it lost power. What are all the bolt-ons for these CL's and i'm not talking about a supercharger. I know we have intake, exhaust, headers, thermoblock spacers, cooling mods, apexi vafc. We also have the superchargers and nitrous and turbos but those are costly. What else is there? Intake manifolds? Bigger throttle bodies? Camshafts? Would anyone recommend the 3.5L upgrade over a blower? If so why or why not?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There are only the simple bolt-ons, thats it.

Search would have easily answered your question too.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
There are only the simple bolt-ons, thats it.

Search would have easily answered your question too.
I should have said just I/H/E, pullies, uni-chip, spacers and the cooling mods. More concise.

Then next step is the Supercharger/Turbo/Nitrous.

Thats all we got to work with.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

do not forgot Intercooler.. net 50 whp at 9 lbs of safe boost.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Racer

Has anyone made a Centrifugal supercharger for the CL's? I dont like these M42 styles because of the noise they made.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by peakpowermotoring
Hey guys, just got my car back from the dealer for the tranny replacement and I must say the vehicle is slower. The shifting is slugish and I feel as though it lost power. What are all the bolt-ons for these CL's and i'm not talking about a supercharger. I know we have intake, exhaust, headers, thermoblock spacers, cooling mods, apexi vafc. We also have the superchargers and nitrous and turbos but those are costly. What else is there? Intake manifolds? Bigger throttle bodies? Camshafts? Would anyone recommend the 3.5L upgrade over a blower? If so why or why not?
Nitrous is not costly, only if you install it improperly or put unmarked jets in like someone I know It's the cheapest bang for your buck that is available. You can get an almost new kit on ebay for like $300 if you look. That's 75HP for $300. It doesn't get any better than that.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peakpowermotoring
Has anyone made a Centrifugal supercharger for the CL's? I dont like these M42 styles because of the noise they made.
Comptech is the only one that makes a supercharger.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rtatsutani
Nitrous is not costly, only if you install it improperly or put unmarked jets in like someone I know It's the cheapest bang for your buck that is available. You can get an almost new kit on ebay for like $300 if you look. That's 75HP for $300. It doesn't get any better than that.
I just got a tranny replacement maybe i should think about nitrous. I used to have nitrous on my Honda del sol with the jackson racing supercharger at one point. That thing moved but it was a pain in the ass refilling bottles... So you think 75shot is good enough? Dry or wet? 300 bucks is also pretty cheap, nice...
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rtatsutani
That's 75HP for $300. It doesn't get any better than that.

until your bottle is out of juice then you got shit!

BTW: How much does it cost to refill the bottle? How many pulls do you get before it is empty?... and how many times have you changed your spark plugs??

Add it all up and it is not as cheap as you think it is.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by Smitty

until your bottle is out of juice then you got shit!

BTW: How much does it cost to refill the bottle? How many pulls do you get before it is empty?... and how many times have you changed your spark plugs??

Add it all up and it is not as cheap as you think it is.
True, but for the guy who is just lookin for the quick boost at the track and/or on the street NOS is still very economical. You could probably do about 8 runs on the 1/4 assuming you hit it from the beginning. If you want power all the time, NOS is NOT the way to go like Smitty said b/c it can get expensive.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

do not forgot Intercooler.. net 50 whp at 9 lbs of safe boost.
So the IC will add an additional 50+\-whp to the already stout 100whp from the HPB SC? Daggum. Nice.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by All Mine
So the IC will add an additional 50+\-whp to the already stout 100whp from the HPB SC? Daggum. Nice.

No Ryan... the stock (3lb boost pulley) S/C'er produces about 56HP on a 6 speed CL-S... the 5lb pulley gives it 20 more ponies... the intercooler and 9lb boost pulley is like adding another supercharger to the car because you get 50 more WHP from it... plus it Saves the top half of the motor from all the boost heat that will wear down the top half of the motor alot quicker than a boosted vehicle NonIntercooled CL-S.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

No Ryan... the stock (3lb boost pulley) S/C'er produces about 56HP on a 6 speed CL-S... the 5lb pulley gives it 20 more ponies... the intercooler and 9lb boost pulley is like adding another supercharger to the car because you get 50 more WHP from it... plus it Saves the top half of the motor from all the boost heat that will wear down the top half of the motor alot quicker than a boosted vehicle NonIntercooled CL-S.

Cool. Thanks for the info, Carl. So I do need the IC for an HBP SC. Sweeet.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Not really.

The stock SC pulley gives you 3lb of boost.

The HBP from comptech yeilds about 6-7.5lbs of boost. You don't need the intercooler at this point, nor is it really nessecary, but Comptech voids the warrenty on the blower if you use the HBP.

Scalaberts 9lb pulley gives you...you guessed, 9lbs of boost. But at these boost levels you need an intercooler to keep the charge temprature down.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes and No
for the HBP (5 lbs of boost) you can run the car without an intercooler... but remember ~ HEAT is the #1 engine breakdown agent...

Is it a good idea to run 5lbs of boost and be intercooled.. HELL YEAH... You save the top half of your motor from breaking down.

If you want to run the 9lb pulley (on the end of the Jackshaft of the S/C'er) you need the intercooler for sure or else you will detonate for the heat and blow the motor.

So the guys running 5lbs of boost would be smart if they picked up an intercooler.. that is if they they do not want to rebuild the top half of their motors in the long run.

I had every intention of running the car intercooled and on 5lbs of boost.. But damn it was so awesome when I threw that 9lb pulley on I could not bring myself to take it off..

now I had my fun.. time for some new toys.