Alignment/Camber Question w/ Comptech Springs-

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:57 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Alignment/Camber Question w/ Comptech Springs-

I have searched and read many posts regarding alignment and camber after spring install. I did some research, and have some questions.

I want to find a shop like NTB or Firestone that offers "unlimited" alignments. Each shop has pros and cons.

NTB's 5 year unlimited alignment is $139, as long as they do ALL suspension work. Technically, if my shocks go out, my dealer with replace my shocks under my extended warranty until 100K (they have told me), NTB does not have to align the car. Camber kits if needed run $30 for the rear, plus $30 a side installed, with no front camber kit available.

Firestone offers "as long as you own the car" unlimited alignments for $150, with no limitations as to where suspension work is done. The ONE problem with this, is that they say that they would need to set the car to manufacturer specifications, meaning that if the car is lowered, the height will be out of Acura spec, and the geometry of the suspension would be different than spec, and they would only perform ONE alignment (for $150!). Jim at Firestone in Silver Spring told me that I can bring the car in, and they could do a review on the car to see if they can align it for $25, and if they can, they would put the money towards my alignment. They also quoted me a strange price for camber kits, $100 a side???? wtf.

In any event, if you have any experience with either NTB, Firestone, or can help point me in the right direction regarding this upcoming alignment (after I get my springs installed later this week) that would be great.

Also, at what point should I get a camber kit? Do they make them for the front suspension? Do Comptech Springs "settle" like other springs? I am saving up for some nice Pilot A/S tires in 10K miles, and want to do everything I can to promote their health and longevity-

I ask all this so I am prepared to do everything right, and not get myself stuck waisting money. I have never lowered a car, and the one person I personally knew with a lowered car got himself over his head in problems.

Obviously, I feel comfortable enough throwing down for CT springs, and think it'll be a VERY worthwhile investment. Can't wait for them to be installed!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help-
Old 01-13-2004, 04:00 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had Comptech springs for over 30k miles. I have no camber kit, and did not align the car (or even check it) afterwards until I bought my new tires and my guy did it for free since I had a slight pull when my new Nittos were installed (25k miles later). The alingment revealed the car was not out of line, in fact, one of the tires had a bad, directional patch that caused the pulling and it was replaced immediately.

I'd skip the lifetime anything. Regular 5k rotations should let you know if you are seeing excessive wear that would be alignment related...
Old 01-13-2004, 10:50 PM
One who Laps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Comptech drop affected my front camber adjustment as it wore out the inside tread on my front tires.
I bought a set of Dunlop SP9000's and took the car to Acura, they also reccommened a camber kit. Bought the Comptech front cambers at $198 for the pair and paid 2 hours labor at $170 to install at Acura, book was 3 hours for the labor.
They did the alignment and the car is perfect with no uneven tire wear.
Anyway, that cost me $440.00 to get right but some others have been fine.
If you call and ask Comptech, they will reccommend buying the cambers for a spring install.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:28 AM
DC Cruiser

There's one front camber problem, anyone else??
Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by greyjhu
There's one front camber problem, anyone else??
Mine gives me nothing but trouble and Acura has been no help. Mine has to be aligned no less than every six monhts (I'd do it more often if I could afford it). According to the dealer reports, the alignment is really out of wack each time. The worst part is I try and baby the car to the point I hate driving it.

I'll have to look into this unlimited alignment deal. I only need it for another year. Yeah!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:06 PM
DC Cruiser

Can anyone else give me their input??
Old 01-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Banned

yes my Input is put in the Comptech springs and shocks (Koni) and get an alignment after 200 miles.

I asked master Acura tech Jens at Park Avenue Acura and he told me the front is fine and the rear will have a slight negative camber but nothing that a rotation wont fix.

Comtpech springs you have no worries thats why they cost so much.

put them in and enjoy save your money instead of camber kits
Old 01-16-2004, 06:39 PM
DC Cruiser

cool, thanks Lou!!

anyone else have any experiences they would like to share?

thanks for your help-
Old 01-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

I've had my Comptech springs and Konis installed with no alignment for over 5k miles with perfectly even tire wear and the car drives like a dream.