Air Conditioner Recirc

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner Recirc

Silver 3.2CL-S - - With A/C running in Auto mode, if I press the Recirc button the Auto light goes out. Is this normal? Did the A/C kick out? Thoroughly confused in Merrick.

------------------
Searoar
Old 05-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
When you set it below 63, the recu. button comes on till that temp. is reached. You can manually turn the recu. botton on or off.

Ever see those idiots with fogged up windows, well they have their recu. button on, which is not allowing "fresh" air from outside, therefore causing the windows to fog up ! If there is a greyhound bus in front of you, blowing smoke out the pipe, turn "on" your recu. till you get away from the smog.
Got it ?

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 05-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
"Ever see those idiots with fogged up windows, well they have their recu. button on, which is not allowing "fresh" air from outside, therefore causing the windows to fog up ! If there is a greyhound bus in front of you, blowing smoke out the pipe, turn "on" your recu. till you get away from the smog."
```````````

you want to recycle the air to unfog the windows. An a/c takes the humidty out of the air, which means no fogged up windows.

------------------
I think we are all driving the Civic Si's big brother.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
When you set it below 63, the recu. button comes on till that temp. is reached. You can manually turn the recu. botton on or off.

Ever see those idiots with fogged up windows, well they have their recu. button on, which is not allowing "fresh" air from outside, therefore causing the windows to fog up ! If there is a greyhound bus in front of you, blowing smoke out the pipe, turn "on" your recu. till you get away from the smog.
Got it ?

</font>
Are you sure that you "got it" ? You want to re-circulate the air to dry out the air inside the cabin. This then defogs the windows. Re-circulation is not just there so you don't smell bad smells from outside.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - Zaino baby! - Pics of my car

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 05-03-2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 09:53 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
You guys are in a high humidity area ! Different situation here in California !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 05-03-2001, 11:03 PM
Racer

I leave my recirc on all the time. I can't stand the smell of truck exhaust and city air.

As far as the quick defog, I haven't checked the CL-S manual but I think my old honda manual said turn the air to fresh not recirc to get rid of the fogged up windows.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Recirculation if air and fogged up windows are not relevant to each other. Fogged up windows result from high humidity in the cabin. The way to get rid of that (faster) is to get that humid air out OR get the water out of that humid air. Both cases, AC on will help. If you have the Recirc. Air on it will probably happen faster if the outside fresh air is very humid. But all that is irrelevant because our car has a button specificaly for that. It is the one next to the button for the rear window "heater". Not only the AC will come on when you push it but the air will come out of the right venst which is also very important. All this is in your manual.

Now as far as you initial question:

There are 2 Auto modes. The "Auto" and the "Full Auto". The former is when you have the computer figure out not everything by itself. For example if you are in Full Auto and you turn the fan nob nob, it will switch to Auto because you are doing something manually. But the computer is still figuring out other variables like where the air comes out of and if the Air Recirc. should be ON or OFF.

The Full Auto mode is of course when everything is left on the computer to figure out including the Air Recirc being on or off (has nothing to do with if you set it below or above 63 degrees - it is relevant to how far apart are the number of the desired temp and the current temp).

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-04-2001, 12:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beestea:
I leave my recirc on all the time. I can't stand the smell of truck exhaust and city air.

As far as the quick defog, I haven't checked the CL-S manual but I think my old honda manual said turn the air to fresh not recirc to get rid of the fogged up windows.
</font>

Having Recirc ON all the time is not healthy. You need to be bringing fresh air into the cabin all the time if possible. If there is a stink outside that you dont like, then fine, go and put it on. But the rest of the time it should be off so fresh air comes in the cabin. There is one disadavntage to this. There are harmful gases coming from various sources that humans cannot smell so by having Recirc. off sometimes you might be hurting yourself. I think Mercedes has solved this prob by installing a sensor that senses some of these gases and turns recirc on automatically but it is not something that happens often.

The more fresh air you push in and out of the cabin the less chances for you to get sick from low quality air in your car (I know it sounds stupid but that is how it is).

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-04-2001, 12:30 AM
Fastdriver

The recirc will also come on when you first start the car if it has been sitting in the sun and the AC is on. This helps to cool down the interior faster. Once it reaches the desired temp, the recirc goes off.

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior.
[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino Z2/Z6 and two of Z5/Z6 so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!
Old 05-04-2001, 01:48 AM
Burning Brakes

car sitting in 92 heat, set ac to 70, recirc comes on automatically, about 4 minutes later it turns off and the car is nice and cool. This is with black interior.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:37 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:

Having Recirc ON all the time is not healthy. You need to be bringing fresh air into the cabin all the time if possible. If there is a stink outside that you dont like, then fine, go and put it on. But the rest of the time it should be off so fresh air comes in the cabin. There is one disadavntage to this. There are harmful gases coming from various sources that humans cannot smell so by having Recirc. off sometimes you might be hurting yourself. I think Mercedes has solved this prob by installing a sensor that senses some of these gases and turns recirc on automatically but it is not something that happens often.

The more fresh air you push in and out of the cabin the less chances for you to get sick from low quality air in your car (I know it sounds stupid but that is how it is).

</font>

Yah, I've heard this before. I have also heard its harder on the air compressor to leave it on recirc all the time. Still I don't care! I think im a little bit psychotic when it comes to dirt and bad smells, but hey thats the way I am . BTW I did the same thing on my 97 Accord for 3 years without any problems. Plus it still smelled like new on the inside after that long

Old 05-04-2001, 04:29 AM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
You guys are in a high humidity area ! Different situation here in California !

</font>
i agree. here in toronto, recirc works great to clear your fogged windows but if u leave it on for much longer than that, it will actually start to fog up again...strange but true as my other Canadian brethern will attest to.

------------------
2001 stock cls
mods coming soon as the cash does
Old 05-04-2001, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, one more comment -- I leave it on in the congested streets, and turn it off in the hills. And I always get colder inside temps with the recirc on.

So, what's wrong with leaving it on in the city streets -- I have to dust my car off after a ride -- there is black rubber dust, soot and pollen around the car after a few miles.

When off the main blvds, pull in some "fresh" air (if that's what one calls city air).

Works for me -- that's all I know...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic