Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

The last time I had cool air and was running the higher boost pulley I was fighting knock which turned out to be an issue with the FPR. Now that all is fine with the fueling the car is doing great and I experienced something which worried and excited me at the same time.

It was 48 degrees on my way in to the office this morning and the car was feeling lively. Anything over 3/4 throttle in 1st gear will cause them to break loose at any RPM; I expected this. But while in 2nd I rolled on the throttle and when the VTEC change-over occurred the tires broke loose. Thinking it was just a fluke due to road trash I tried it again and the results were the same. So I tried it a third time and there was the tire spin at 5k revs to redline.

BTW, this is not with the stock tires, I am running 235/45/17 AVSES100’s on the stock rims.

So the car really likes the fuel it was starving for previously. But the FWD deficiency is really showing its head. I can only image what it will be like with the IC and more boost.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
It's been in the 50's here the last two mornings and my new Nitto's are hating me for it! I love the sun and fun of Florida, but I'm happy it's cooling off. I really want to take this thing to the track a few times before going further with more mods...

I'm gonna see my family soon in your neck of the woods. I definitely wouldn't mind taking a spin in your CL-S!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Drop me a note when your up this way...
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was in the 70s-80s for a long time here, and then it suddenly dropped to low 50s. I took the car out yesterday and man was i surprised at the power difference. I can only imagine what it's like w/ the SC.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Low vapor pressure gasoline started flowing in the pipeline on Sept 15. The good stuff is at most pumps by now.
This affects 48 counties around Atlanta. Good gas until May.
Get ready for a little better mileage too.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Pro

i had wheelspin in 3rd it was 44degrees this am and wow what a difference like steve said.we need that ic on days like this running like an animal.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is it normal for the PCM to run rich until the car warms up? I thought it was a loose connection on the wideband, but now I wonder if it's being told to keep it rich while it warms up.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
///M POWER

dont ya love the cl-s in cold temps
Old 09-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
Is it normal for the PCM to run rich until the car warms up? I thought it was a loose connection on the wideband, but now I wonder if it's being told to keep it rich while it warms up.
To a point, yes. But it doesn't take long to go into closed loop for idel and part throttle. I assume you are talking about WOT pulls while warming??
Old 09-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by darrinb
Try a blown CL-S as the difference with varying ambient conditions are much greater than with the NA version.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert
To a point, yes. But it doesn't take long to go into closed loop for idel and part throttle. I assume you are talking about WOT pulls while warming??
No, first thing, on these 50* mornings, the wideband stays bottomed out as I motor easy, out of the neighborhood and on to the main roads. Then at some random point, no more than 5 minutes, it starts reading normally.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:02 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Drop me a note when your up this way...
I wanna come up there just to ride in your car!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by 1killercls

:ghey:
Old 09-30-2003, 03:05 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by CLpower
:ghey:
SAVAGE!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Sounds good Steve!!

Wish I had the turbo still... we could drive cross-country
Old 09-30-2003, 08:54 PM
///M POWER

are you up in the mountains steve??

if u get down to sea level i'm sure it will feel way different too
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

Steve, you gonna have to deal with all the crazy golf traffic this week up 1-75 and 575? All this beautiful weather has everyone driving around, traffic has been worse than normal...can't imagine how bad it will be later on with all the action going on at Crabapple
Old 10-01-2003, 03:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Wish I had the turbo still... we could drive cross-country
So we could race and you could beat me with your superior launching ability and greater power.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:43 AM
Suzuka Master

are you up in the mountains steve??

if u get down to sea level i'm sure it will feel way different too
I live near the start/end of the Appalachian mountains. My house is between 1200 - 1300 feet, office sits just over 1000 feet and I often travel in some areas over 2000 feet. When I head through central Alabama I normally notice a slight difference as this is only a couple hundred feet up.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1killercls
Better yet, I'll look you up when I'm in the Tampa area. Just tell me which bar to go to...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ATLcl98
Steve, you gonna have to deal with all the crazy golf traffic this week up 1-75 and 575? All this beautiful weather has everyone driving around, traffic has been worse than normal...can't imagine how bad it will be later on with all the action going on at Crabapple
What is going on this weekend, I've heard that traffic is expected to be bad?? I beleive there is something going on at the golf club in my neighborhood (Towne Lake Hills East which I am not a member of the golf club nor do I play).

And then what is going on around Crabapple?? Guess I won't head over to Pappy Red's BBQ this weekend.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:52 AM
Atl/Mia reppin'

Its the American Express Match Play Championship...big non "major" golf tourney. Not really sure what course its at, I just know its one of the new ones up in Cherokee Country. Tiger Woods was down the street today at Piedmont Park doing some random demonstrations...He even had a competition with Mike Vick to see who could get closer to putting their respective "balls" inside a box. Supposedly Tiger's gf wasn't going to show up, so I figured it wasn't worth me going to
Old 10-01-2003, 04:05 AM
Disproportionate Member

Re: Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

The last time I had cool air and was running the higher boost pulley I was fighting knock which turned out to be an issue with the FPR. Now that all is fine with the fueling the car is doing great and I experienced something which worried and excited me at the same time.

It was 48 degrees on my way in to the office this morning and the car was feeling lively. Anything over 3/4 throttle in 1st gear will cause them to break loose at any RPM; I expected this. But while in 2nd I rolled on the throttle and when the VTEC change-over occurred the tires broke loose. Thinking it was just a fluke due to road trash I tried it again and the results were the same. So I tried it a third time and there was the tire spin at 5k revs to redline.

BTW, this is not with the stock tires, I am running 235/45/17 AVSES100?s on the stock rims.

So the car really likes the fuel it was starving for previously. But the FWD deficiency is really showing its head. I can only image what it will be like with the IC and more boost.
Nice! Yeah, FWD is hurting us all. I really wish I'd have just gotten a G35C.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ATLcl98
Its the American Express Match Play Championship...big non "major" golf tourney. Not really sure what course its at, I just know its one of the new ones up in Cherokee Country.
It's right on the Fulton and Cherokee Counties (Alpharetta/Woodstock) border. I know where it is at and am dreading this. I live a couple miles from downtown Woodstock and it doesn't have the capacity to handle much traffic. Nor do any of the roads heading to the venue.

I think I'll stay home this weekend...
Old 10-01-2003, 04:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

Originally posted by Aquineas
Nice! Yeah, FWD is hurting us all. I really wish I'd have just gotten a G35C.
I love my CL-S6SC and love driving it. The HLSD does help some particularly in the turns. However, I have learned that a judicious right foot is required to drive smoothly.

I sometimes regret getting rid of my wife's E46 328i this last spring. I considered keeping it, adding forced induction and selling CL-S6 (we had to get rid of one car to make room for something which could fit the double stroller ). But the BMW had about 35k miles and the CL-S6 had 6k. Add to that I would have taken a hit on the CL-S6 and made money back on the sale of the BMW the decision was made easier. So with twins on the way the financial aspects become more important than the pure driving thrill.

But I do sometimes miss that balance and what it would have been like to have added forced induction to it.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:42 AM
///M POWER

Re: Re: Re: Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

I love my CL-S6SC and love driving it. The HLSD does help some particularly in the turns. However, I have learned that a judicious right foot is required to drive smoothly.

I sometimes regret getting rid of my wife's E46 328i this last spring. I considered keeping it, adding forced induction and selling CL-S6 (we had to get rid of one car to make room for something which could fit the double stroller ). But the BMW had about 35k miles and the CL-S6 had 6k. Add to that I would have taken a hit on the CL-S6 and made money back on the sale of the BMW the decision was made easier. So with twins on the way the financial aspects become more important than the pure driving thrill.

But I do sometimes miss that balance and what it would have been like to have added forced induction to it.
was the bimmer 4wd??
Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...

was the bimmer 4wd??
Nope, just the standard RWD like on most BMWs. Only the 330xi is AWD and that is rare; in fact I haven't seen one here in the south.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
///M POWER

theres alot of xi's and 4matic benzes here though, prolly cause of the winter...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:34 PM
One who Laps

Scalbert, what did you do with the FPR to solve you're fuel deficiency and stop you're detenation problem.
Please enlighten me.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by sonor kid
Scalbert, what did you do with the FPR to solve you're fuel deficiency and stop you're detenation problem.
Please enlighten me.
Initially I pulled it apart and rebuilt it along with adding a new sealing washer on the adjustment screw. Now I have a new unit; Comptech swapped it out as it still wasn't right.

The current unit is working beautifully, tracking with the boost/vacuum as it should. Having the proper fuel levels makes a significant difference and the car is a blast to drive.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Scalbert,

I need some help
For the last two weeks or so, I have been getting strang readings from my gauges. I.E. Under WOT my boost gauge (autometer full electronic sewwp, no vac) actauly maxes out at 7-8 psi, but I DON'T have the high boost pulley??? It used to max out at 4.5. Inconjuction with this oddity is another problem, my fuel pressure, which at idle is around 38hg, only maxes out at 90hg during WOT, before it would peg at the 100 mark, obviously higher than the gauge goes, until I left off WOT or the car shifted.
These gauge readings have been occurring exactly the same during WOT runs for the last 2 weeks, any ideas? Where to start?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by MtBikR
For the last two weeks or so, I have been getting strang readings from my gauges. I.E. Under WOT my boost gauge (autometer full electronic sewwp, no vac) actauly maxes out at 7-8 psi, but I DON'T have the high boost pulley??? It used to max out at 4.5. Inconjuction with this oddity is another problem, my fuel pressure, which at idle is around 38hg, only maxes out at 90hg during WOT, before it would peg at the 100 mark, obviously higher than the gauge goes, until I left off WOT or the car shifted.
These gauge readings have been occurring exactly the same during WOT runs for the last 2 weeks, any ideas? Where to start?
First, I assume you mistakenly put your fuel pressure engineering units in Hg, where it should be in PSI. The first thing I would do it unhook the boost gauge sensor and hook it up to a known pressure source. This will verify it as it maybe off, they do go bad sometimes.

The fuel pressure could drop for various reasons but we should be sure on the boost readings first. This could just be an electrical issue with the sensors and/or gauges.

As for the boost increasing, if it has, the only real culprit would be a block catalytic converter. You would need to pull it and visually inpspect it.

But first, verify the gauges and then move on to the next step.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Alirhgt, I'll start with your reccomendation, thanks for addressing my issues. Any suggestion for where I should "t" the boost line in? Not sure where I have it now, I will have to check. And yes I messed up my fuel pressure, the gauge is a 0-100psi
Old 10-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Must be nice to have the s/c.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't know, it's going to be 100 today.:thumbsdn:
Old 10-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Scalbert,

would you mind pointing me in another right direction? I did a search but couldn't find what I thought I was looking for. I seem to remember that you had problems (I know there was more than one) with the FPR, however the particular one that I am concerned about it is a noise problem based on where/ how it was instructed to be mounted. Is this correct and if so what did you do to rememdy it. I have been running the blower for about 5 months and haven't ever heard the noise that I have been lately. But for the last two weeks (in conjuction with the fore mentioned pressure discrepencies) I hear a scrapping/vibrating sound eminating for the center of the dash near the window. From talking with the guy who did the recent interior work, he thinks it's comming from the FPR which is mounted on the firewall near where it sounds like the sound is comming from. It only makes the noise under heavy throttle and gets louder the higher the WOT rpms go. Is this just a mounting/ location issue, or should I look at my FPR as the possible cause for my strange fuel pressure problems? Thanks as always for any insight.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

My sound problem from the FPR was remedied by using some foam pad insulation. This took care of it completely. Also, the sound occurred at idle when the engine speed was low. Once the revs climbed there was enough other sound to drown out the vibration from the FPM. A simple test would be to unbolt the FPR from the firewall and go for a quick run.

However, this would affect boost at all. Boost levels would be irrelevant of the fuel supply or pressure.

You may want to unbolt the cat and have a peak. A blocked cat could cause the boost to creep up, it will also increase EGT values and possible induce knock. This might be noticed as a scrapping sound. But also a faulty blower could make that sound.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

You remember my post SC dynos right? I would love to have this turn out to be a faulty blower, hence why I haven't gotten the gains that one should expect for my setup. The odd thing about the CAT is that car wasn't showing extra boost or this sound until just a week ago. I will have the cat taken off and looked at, I am just wondering if it could of happened basicaly overnight? I am more in the camp that my boost gague (while I think it works fine) is giving me bad numbers, or that the bad numbers are being caused by a bad blower. But my FPR shoundl't be related to anything w/ the boost pressure correct? but obviously has a big role in explaining the possible cause for my lower max. fuel pressure.
I am not familar with how knock sounds, I always wondered about it w/ everyone mentioning here. Since your FPR make it's sound at idle and was drowned out higher, I am to believe that what I am hearing is something other mounting vibrations now. Please describe what my engine would sound like knocking, since the sound is only with WOT and hard driving. The car feels admittedly slow, but then again I have always felt that since it was confirmed via the dyno.
I know there a nice fast smooth working machine somewhere under my hood just waiting to be discovered. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
///M POWER

Originally posted by joedokes28
I wouldn't know, it's going to be 100 today.:thumbsdn:

damn that sucks, its been in the 50's here for the past few weeks, and then monday we got into the upper 70's, feels way different
Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh my EGT values are around 10K+ a 100 of so at idle and climb above 12K under WOT. My boost level last night under WOT through multiple gears maxed out at 10psi. I wish it were real, sure doesn't feel like it is. I am sure if the boost is really increased for whatever reason (ie cat) that my ecu is pulling timimg because the car just doesn't feel that fast. can't get the fuel pressure to go above 90psi still either.

Quick Reply: Ah, Cool Air and Having Fuel...