After market Security System

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
After market Security System

I was wondering if I should get any after market Alarm System for my CLS? If yes, than what is the name of the alarm system/model that I should get?
Is it really worth it? or it is a waste of money?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's more important to you? Security, or features?
Security,
No matter what alarm you have if somone wants your car bad enough, they will get it. An alarm will slow this process, & make a theif think about going after a lesser hassle free target. Does an alarm help I'd say yes. I have 1 on every car I have had, or still have.
Features,
Some have remote start, window roll up, paging, etc. I bought my alarm for the remote start too. It's great in the summer. I can start the car from my office, & when I leave the car is nice & cool. Or it heat up the car too. I have a Viper 550ESP. Goto http://www.directed.com
I have heard good things about Clifford, & Compustar alarms. I migth try 1 in my next car. But I tend to stay with what works for me.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally posted by JasonT
What's more important to you? Security, or features?
Security,
No matter what alarm you have if somone wants your car bad enough, they will get it. An alarm will slow this process, & make a theif think about going after a lesser hassle free target. Does an alarm help I'd say yes. I have 1 on every car I have had, or still have.
Features,
Some have remote start, window roll up, paging, etc. I bought my alarm for the remote start too. It's great in the summer. I can start the car from my office, & when I leave the car is nice & cool. Or it heat up the car too. I have a Viper 550ESP. Goto http://www.directed.com
I have heard good things about Clifford, & Compustar alarms. I migth try 1 in my next car. But I tend to stay with what works for me.
Is Viper compatible with CLS alarm? I do not want to run into any electrical problems.

My primary concern is security, even though features are nice.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by russianDude

Is Viper compatible with CLS alarm? I do not want to run into any electrical problems.

My primary concern is security, even though features are nice.
Thanks for the info.
If you're looking for an aftermarket alarm for security the best thing to do would be to replace the factory alarm with a new one... not to hook it up with it...... Then you can get a sweet alarm with all kinds of sensors, etc. that will protect your car. Features should be secondary....
Old 06-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Viper, & most of the Alarms out there have a factory alarm disarm wire. It's so the aftermarket alarm can be used in place of the factory alarm, with out any electrical issues. The Viper disables the factory alarm. The factory remotes won't even work anymore. If you need to take out the aftermarket alarm, like I will when my lease is up, that factory disarm wires gets taken out, & the factorty alarm will work like it should.
A side note, none of this effects the computer that reads the chip in the key. You still need a proper key with the right codes to start the car. With the remote start you need to get a bypass that holds a programmed key to tell the alarm brain the correct key is being used. This goes into a black box & is hidden out of site under the dash somewhere. You can get an uncut key, & get it programmed. This way if anyone breaks into your car, & happens to find that key, it still will be usless cause it's not cut.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by juniorbean

If you're looking for an aftermarket alarm for security the best thing to do would be to replace the factory alarm with a new one... not to hook it up with it...... Then you can get a sweet alarm with all kinds of sensors, etc. that will protect your car. Features should be secondary....
I dont think you can remove the stock alarm in the CL since it's integrated to the ECU. But you can by-pass or make it work along with you new alarm (like I did).