after installing the Xephyr CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:49 PM
Ult
Instructor

after installing the Xephyr CAI

the hardest part of my installation was getting to the resonator bolts. I finally ended up ripping the resonator off the back bolt b/c it was too friggin hard to get the wrench back there.

Anyway, I'm a bit concerned. The plastic covering, part of the CAI, that fits into the black air intake rubbering, doesn't seem to be very snug. Also, the whole CAI seems to be just sitting there with the pressure on that part. For example, in Webtoker's screen shot http://www.webtoker.com/images/car/CAI/11.gif of his CAI, there's a solid brace that holds the CAI onto the car frame. Also, it looks like the CAI that goes into the air intake is snug and tight. For some reason, I don't feel that what I installed is as snug or sturdy. I'm hesitant to go over big bumps for fear of it coming out of the air intake rubbering.

-sigh

[This message has been edited by Ult (edited 02-19-2001).]
Old 02-19-2001 | 11:02 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

i just talked to webtoker (he sold me his intake from xephyr ! ) he recommends leaving the bottom of the stock filter housing in to keep things tight. i think that as long as the bottom is left in and the clamp at the engine is good and tight, you shouldn't have any problems with movement. i will try to put mine in this week and see how it goes. i was also thinking about rigging up some kind of clamp or brace to keep it more stable if i need it...i'll let you know
Old 02-19-2001 | 11:07 PM
Ult
Instructor

I did take Webtoker's advice (good idea, toke) and leave the housting inplace. However I'm more so concerned with the upper part of the CAI that fits into the air intake rubbery. I think it needs two things:

1) a brace that holds it snug to car frame
2) a clamp that binds the rubber housing to the CAI tubing/rubber insert

------------------
-Ult
Old 02-19-2001 | 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Yo it would seem to me if its that flimsy maybe these Xephyr CAI's aren't all they are pumped up to be. I previously owned a 300ZX and installed a STILLEN HI FLOW INTAKE and it was not flimsy. I am hesitant about this XEPHYR CAI neveer heard of them before.
Good luck!

STOCK CL-S
Old 02-19-2001 | 11:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The braces you are looking for, I guess, Xephyr intentially did not ship them, cause under high-temprature oven tests, they were catching fire!.

So, my understanding is that he decided to drop those braces and ship CAI he made. Because peolpe on this borad who ordered his CAI lost patient wiht the delay in shippments.

I believe his CAI is not *complete*. He needs to ship you those brakets or get them welded as in AEM' CAI.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 02-19-2001 | 11:16 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ult:
I did take Webtoker's advice (good idea, toke) and leave the housting inplace. However I'm more so concerned with the upper part of the CAI that fits into the air intake rubbery. I think it needs two things:

</font>
i would definitely get a clamp from an auto parts store (or even home depot). i think toker has a clamp at the top of his, altho the bracket that bolts to the car probably does the best job of holding things in place--i'm sure webtoker will pop up in a little while with some advice
Old 02-20-2001 | 12:31 AM
Drifting

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
[b]
Originally posted by Ult:

</font>

The intake I got from Xephyr and sold to SilverESS had the clamp that bind the rubber housing to the CAI. It was at the bottom of the box. Did you not get one?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Old 02-20-2001 | 12:53 AM
Ult
Instructor

I'll check tomorrow as the box is at work. I might have missed it. (doh!)

Also, the instructions didn't make mention of it, either.

------------------
-Ult
Old 02-20-2001 | 01:00 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ult:
I'll check tomorrow as the box is at work. I might have missed it. (doh!)

Also, the instructions didn't make mention of it, either.

</font>
If I were you I would not run the car at high RPMs until you get that on. I don't trust that spring clip.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Custom AEM CAI
Old 02-20-2001 | 04:59 AM
Instructor

Ult, WebToker,
I'm finally back on the site. Good to see you two still on, along with the rest of the gang.

ULt - whats your number again?? Give me a call to meet up (been a little busy). I definitely want to see the CAI.

I also want to meet up with VDo, in Austin somewhere. Any new Austin guys on the site? The dealer is still selling them like hot-cakes.

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black"
Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.61 at 96.04mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-20-2001 | 12:52 PM
Ult
Instructor

I'm saddened (word?) to say that a clip was not in the box. I'll email Xephyr now and see what he can do to remedy. On the way home from work, I'll try drop by an auto store to buy a clip.

Hollywood... email me

[This message has been edited by Ult (edited 02-20-2001).]
Old 02-20-2001 | 12:59 PM
Banned

Not good...I get mine today, well it was here yesterday but my stupid apartment office was closed when I got home b/c of President's day, so I couldn't get my shipment stupid office.

I will pick it up today and make sure everything was shipped and then do the install either tonight or atleast by the end of the week.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-20-2001 | 11:09 PM
Ult
Instructor

okay, after a quick $3 clamp addon from local auto store, the CAI is solidly inplace in the air intake rubbery.

Now that that's out of the way, the last thing I have left is that the CAI is a bit loose. Lifting it up and down, it feels like the K&N filter is hitting the flap under the car. I really wish I had some sort of brace that would attach the CAI to the frame, like Webtoker has in the link above.

------------------
-Ult
Old 02-20-2001 | 11:56 PM
Team Owner

I sure appreciate all you guys doing the R&D installs on this unit.
Now when I buy mine this summer, it will completely bug free and an easy drop-in mod.

We need to set up a DIY session this summer for the “locals” somewhere in NJ where Xephyr can bring a couple units to the meet and help us install them.

We will drive out of there with faster cars and Xephyr will drive home with a nice pile of cash.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-21-2001 | 02:12 AM
Banned

Shawn,

Sounds like a plan to me lol Aren't we about due for a meet in NJ?

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes