After 2yrs the CL is back...might need some help though :/

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 2yrs the CL is back...might need some help though :/

A little backstory...

I bought my 03 CLS6 back in '05 and quickly began the modding process.. I believe my sig has them listed..but the ones in question are the engine mods. I began with comptech headers and ice box, then Magnaflow mufflers and lightweight aasco flywheel and spec stage 2.5 clutch (I had turbo plans), along with a bunch of suspension mods and wheels.

Heres where my issues began..Well 2 years ago I did the 105k maintenance and at the same time I installed the flywheel and clutch. Almost immediately afterwards i stored it for the winter and didn't really get a chance to drive it after the mods. The following spring I pulled it out of storage and drove it for a couple weeks. I noticed it wasn't as responsive in lower rpms and to be honest seemed slower than before the clutch and flywheel. But I bought an '04 M3 and instantly let it become my daily driver last summer so I literally didn't drive the CL again till last month when I finally got it back on the road.

I'm still feeling like its just not the car it was before, and I don't think it's because I'm comparing it to my M3! Haha! I brought it to my mechanic for alignment and to get checked out at the beginning of this spring and he said its
not throwing any codes or anything and had no real thoughts on why it's not driving the way it used to.

I've heard that with lightweight flywheels that the car will wind up slower in the low rpms and faster at higher rpms..and that is kinda how my CL now drives..I mean vtec REALLY screams now lol. But I can't help but feel that this sluggish 0-20mph acceleration isn't the way it should be.

Does anyone have any thoughts?? I was thinking that between all the bolt on mods that maybe I need an engine/ecu tune? But from what I remember there is no quality ecu tune for our cars.

Any help is appreciated! This car is no longer my mod project because of the M3 so I'm not trying to dump a ton of money into this problem.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Bump? All these views and no ideas? Help please!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After it has been sitting that long have you done any Fuel Treatments or checked your injectors or anything? Maybe a good Seafoam Treatment might help out. Just a thought. And i hope you changed the oil too 1st after sitting that long.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
The lightweight flywheel lets the engine build RPMs easily, there is no dead area.

The heavy 20s (assuming theyre still on it), could be the culprit, but it would probably slow the car down all over the powerband.

I agree with mojo, fuel may be the issue.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04mojogt
After it has been sitting that long have you done any Fuel Treatments or checked your injectors or anything? Maybe a good Seafoam Treatment might help out. Just a thought. And i hope you changed the oil too 1st after sitting that long.
When I first took it to my mechanic to get looked over it was not running well, it was engine surging and just running rough. So I ran some stuff through while I was there with them and after a full tank it was running just fine.

I don't think it has something to do with the car sitting his because this is how I remember it driving before i parked it all that while ago. But I had only driven on the new clutch and flywheel for a couple weeks and i kinda just assumed it was the car wearing in the clutch and flywheel.

And in terms of the wheels, they never made me notice a lag in performance in the past and they were on for 2 years before the clutch and flywheel.

I wish I had a video of the tach when accelerating...what's happening is if we're to go WOT in any gear really, when I punch at low rpms there is literally a lag and the throttle response just isnt there at all. I don't get it, I've never had a car have this sluggish feeling.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The lightweight flywheel lets the engine build RPMs easily, there is no dead area.
That's what I thought. But it's the opposite, it feels like something is holding back the RPMs from revving up up until about 3500-4000rpms