AEM CAI rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI rattle

Sup guys, I've got this annoying rattle that I'm sure comes from my CAI rattling off one the bolts in the engine bay. I have a bypass valve, and this bolt sits low in the engine bay, before the bend for the air filter. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? Thanks alot guys. I will try and post pics of what I mean if I can.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might be rattleing agains the endge of teh hole where it goes into the fender well where the silencer used to be. I had to get a tube, and slice it downt eh middle and put it as a guard against that forner so that it wouldnt' rub/rattle on that edge. If it's touching any walls or edges see if it's loose enought to pull away from teh wall thengo back and hit it, that could be it.

on a side note... I don't have a bypass valve on my CAI but I live in a hilly region and there is raerly water deep enough to fully submerge teh filter. How does the bpass valve prevent watter getting sucked up anyways, and don't you lose a couple HP from it?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:25 PM
hail to the victors

it happened to mine and dealer fixed it for free.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Blown LS6!!

I did the same thing as Ghost when I had one. Just slice open a piece of a rubber coupling and wrap it around the CAI at the bend nearest the filter (easier if you take the bumper off...)
Old 07-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
on a side note... I don't have a bypass valve on my CAI but I live in a hilly region and there is raerly water deep enough to fully submerge teh filter. How does the bpass valve prevent watter getting sucked up anyways, and don't you lose a couple HP from it?
I never would have installed the bypass valve if this forum hadn't scared me into it. I think it's pointless. You literally have to drive through a puddle of water deep enough to submerge the end of the CAI to suck up water. BTW, I live in Seattle...
Old 07-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
I never would have installed the bypass valve if this forum hadn't scared me into it. I think it's pointless. You literally have to drive through a puddle of water deep enough to submerge the end of the CAI to suck up water. BTW, I live in Seattle...
yeah, some people sure try to scare people here. i've had a CAI without bypass for a long time and drive all the time in heavy rain. u gotta drive through water deeper than ur front bumper and hit the gas.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
for the AEM CAI rattle I wrapped a strip of window molding tape around the CAI where it was hitting the metal. worked great.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MethodRN
Sup guys, I've got this annoying rattle that I'm sure comes from my CAI rattling off one the bolts in the engine bay. I have a bypass valve, and this bolt sits low in the engine bay, before the bend for the air filter. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? Thanks alot guys. I will try and post pics of what I mean if I can.
Had the same "issue" - The CAI was contacting the hole in the fender that the CAI lower tube drops thru. I loosened the lower bypass valve clamp and rotated the lower CAI tube away from the edge... retightened the clamp - worked like a champ...

Total time - 30 min, including troubleshooting... (also checked the lower tube rubber mounting stud for security)

Cheers!

Jim