Acura of Troy totally f*cked up my car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Acura of Troy totally fucked up my car.

I was having problems with the brakes along with some other minor problems, so I scheduled for an appointment for this past Thursday. The car was ready on Friday, so I left school 80 miles away to pick up my car. I was really glad that it was ready before the weekend.

Well, I got there just in time because of horrible weather (got hit with really bad T-storms) and traffic at 5:45. They closed at 6. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed that the car had some resistance when I applied gas. They had replaced the front rotors and pads, along with the brake booster assembly, so I figured it just had to be broken in.

Well, the problem didn't go away, so I called the dealership at 5:55, but they didn't pick up. So I said screw it and just drove back to school. On the highway, it felt OK. But as soon as I got off and drove at like 40-50 mph, I started feeling the resistance again. I came up to the first red light after I got off the freeway, and the car literally braked to a stop on its own. The only thing I did was let off the gas, and it gradually slowed down and stopped on its own on completely even pavement. And the brake pedal felt really heavy and pressurized, which indicates that the brakes are engaged even though I don't have my foot on the brake pedal.

Then it went away like it never happened. So I drove back to my school home carefully, about 5 miles away. This morning, I got up, went over to my buddy's house, and I was coming back home on the highway. The car was braking harder than ever now by itself, and on the highway, my steering wheel was shaking like CRAZY. And as soon as I tapped on the brake pedal, the front right suspension would hop up and down. I was seriously scared for my life, and my two friends in the car. I called the dealership at the Service Director's direct line and I left a voice mail. After that, I pulled off, went to a friend's house in the area and I called Acura Roadside Assistance. I told the lady that I wanted to get my car towed to my house at school, about 10 miles away, and I would call the dealership to arrange to have my car towed there on Monday. She said no. I asked her why and she said she wasn't allowed to do that. The dealership was closed. I had just called the Service Director's line and I left a voicemail. So I asked her if there was any way I could just have it towed to my house and she said no. So I said, "I guess I will just risk my life on the highway." She said "OK, thank you for calling Acura Roadside Assitance." and hung up on me. Fvcking great. I closed the phone and cussed up a storm while my friends are asking me what they said. They got pissed off, too.

All I was asking was a tow to my house, so I could have the dealership pick it up on Monday, because the dealership is closed, anyway, and I want to be there when my car gets dropped off. I mean, is that too much to ask for? Is their rule so important that they have to let a customer risk his and his 2 friends' lives?

I limped back home, and I was fvcking pissed the entire way. I could count with my one hand the times I had been so mad. I was so pissed off at Acura of Troy, and I was pissed at Acura corporate. This is total bullshit. The dealership knew that I had to make a trip 80 miles each way to get my car serviced, and they just couldn't get it right on the first try. And had they test driven it after they did the brake job, they would've known because "I" felt it and I'm not even an ASE certified tech.

Also, the seat belt buckle still squeaks (they said they lubed it), the retractor doesn't retract fully (they said it was working fine), the new headlights cases still fog up (replaced with new ones), and now the brakes are COMPLETELY fvcked. I honestly do not feel safe driving my car at this point, and I talked to my dad tonight. He is absolutely furious. He'll probably want to go to the dealership with me, and for THEIR sake, I'm going to try to stop him from going because he'll probably beat the living shit out fo them for putting his son's life in jeopardy.

Honestly, is a test drive after a BRAKE JOB too much to ask for? They released the car to me with a huge defect, and the braking system directly affects the safety of the car and its occupants.

They are lucky that I didn't crash today or yesterday and got hurt. They would have to sign the deed over to me on Monday morning if that happened.

I had been worried about the transmission all along, and they bitch-slapped me in a way that I did not expect. Now my car is out of commission, and I am screwed. I have to call my friends for rides until Monday/Tuesday.

Acura of Troy in Michigan... Avoid them at ALL costs.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They did not adjust your brake booster rod right. Usually if you have too many complain in one visit, not all problem will be fixed.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Dragging knees in

sgmotoring --

Could you explain to me in detail? I will be battling with the dealership Monday morning and I could use all the information I could get.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn man...that sounds freakin' rediculous, i had a similar experience with my recently sold 4-Runner at a Toyota dealership (not as dangerous as yours sounds, just 3 coil packs replaced but after getting about 3/4's of the way home, having the same problems i had before and finding out after having my truck towed back to the dealer that one of the coils was defective, and my sentiments were as yours..."Is it too damn much to ask to have a car given the once over before you take the keys and leave the lot?"

Anyways...good luck with it man, maybe you could try swindeling them out of a nice free Keychain or something for your troubles...perhaps a couple of 24 hour test drives with their 04 NSX or something.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:13 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally posted by sgmotoring
Usually if you have too many complain in one visit, not all problem will be fixed.
this always happens, just don't know why they don't do it the 1st time
Old 05-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yet another reason for me to say that Acura's 'total customer care' package is nothing but crap .. their 800# is a total waste too.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completely understand your major disatisfaction with the dealer and Acura Care. But, don't EVER DRIVE THE CAR with the brakes not working correctly.

You should have pulled to the side of the road immediately and called the dealer to come get you. You put yourself and everybody else who was near you on the road at risk. Would it be inconvienient? You bet, but what you'll go through now will be even more inconvienient. Want to bet the dealer now tries to claim (with a little truth) that you were mostly responsible for the new damage to your brakes? I'm guessing that, at least, the rotors and pads are now toast.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Why didn't you just limp the car back to the dealership and drop the key off at the night drop off box???
Old 05-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Why didn't you just limp the car back to the dealership and drop the key off at the night drop off box???
The dealership is EIGHTY (80) miles away. No way in burning hell that I would drive that far with messed up brakes on the highway.

Starter --
Like I said, I called the direct line to the dealership's Service Director and left a voicemail. They were closed (Saturday) and there was no way to get in touch with them, much less have them pick me up.

Either way, yeah, the rotors and the pads are completely toast, I'm sure. They better give me new ones, and they sure as hell better not try to pin this on me. That would be just wrong.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:18 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg rob, thats crazy

they def owe you something, tell them your gona service your car @ suburban from now on
Old 05-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
sgmotoring --

Could you explain to me in detail? I will be battling with the dealership Monday morning and I could use all the information I could get.
The brake booster has a push rod that moves forward when you apply the barke. This booster rod pushes the brake master pistons forward. As master cylinder pistons move forward, it forces brake fluid into your calipers. Brake fluid then forces the caliper pistons forward. This outward caliper pistons motion forces the pads to the rotors. Ok, the problem you have is that the brake booster rod was adjusted to far outward. This out of adjustment rod is pushing against the master cylinder piston forward at all times, which cause the brake to drag. This is a simple explanation of what happen and not going into the primary and secondary ports, cups and etc in the master cylinder.
Damn I hope you can understand what I wrote because I can't.