Old 02-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
well, tustin acura here is pretty cool...knowledgable, and friendly so :P
Old 02-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by acuraboy
umm no not when comparing the cost of a "severe" service schedule over four years or 50K miles.....which dealer do you go to that you'll spend less than 2 grand on service for the term of the warranty?
Well, if you're asking me personally, then I must explain that I do ALL of my own maintenance. So I guess you could say that I'd spend $0 at a dealership for maintenance.

That would put me about $2000 ahead of the game.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just do your own maintanence service! if it aint broken then dont fix it!

sidemarker
Old 02-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Well, I think this is a really good discussion about the positives and negatives of our cars. General consensus seems to be:

1) The car itself is great, and a wonderful value.
2) The dealers may vary from region to region, but in general, they fall short of the standards set by Lexus/Acura.

Good points made by all.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 AM

If cars are built to LAST, they won't need scheduled maintance included. Then they jack the price up for the car. It is such a gimmick. Scheduled maintance is not confident inspiring
Old 02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
If cars are built to LAST, they won't need scheduled maintance included. Then they jack the price up for the car. It is such a gimmick. Scheduled maintance is not confident inspiring
Well, I agree with you to a certain extent. However, most (except maybe Audi) will last fairly long... except for those german electrical glitches. And those german cars offer free scheduled maintenance also.

Lexus even offered to do my first two maintenance oil changes... after I closed the deal on my S4. So in effect, Lex also helps out with that cost. It's not a huge deal in overall cost, but it's small evidence that those brands know that everything is in the details.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Under the radar

Well the Acura dealership I go to is pretty much the same as the BMW dealership I used to go to.

It's really depressing to hear how much people LOVE to complain. Working customer service for a year and now listening to majority of people on this board is really a downer. Acura makes an excellent product with excellent value. Will there be a bad experience once in awhile? Of course. This will happen in any car or car service place.

I think there is another reason for reduced sales. How many people, especially in an aging marketplace want a two door car? It seems that with the continued success of SUVs and crossover vehicles that people want size and sportiness. The exceptions of course are the G35 coupe and 350Z, which are the new and "in" thing right now, plus they have a HUGE marketing campaign behind them. The other popular two doors all fall in a lower-price category or a higher dollar true sports class.

This thread started as an irrational rant and should've been treated as such.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Wishin' I was in the Keys

Originally posted by CLSter
This thread started as an irrational rant and should've been treated as such.
I would agree that the thread started as a rant, but I think it evolved into a honest discussion of both good and bad experiences.

You are right that people tend to focus on the negative. For my part, I have been extremely happy with both of our Acuras. I did have a sh*tty time purchasing my wife's though. Was it specific to Acura? Yes and no. Most people can relate to a bad salesguy. It happens. But when it happens at an Acura dealer and this being an Acura related chat board, it is relevant.

What we need to observe is whether a pattern of good or bad experiences emerge for particular dealers. Then this thread has served a purpose.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is a really old thread but it's still true today. It is ridiculous that we pay what we do for our acuras and the service is that horrible.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

did you ever stop to think maybe it's just YOUR dealer and the people around there that have shitty attitudes and horrible customer service skills? Acura of Glendale, where I got my car and had my tranny replaced is freakin incredible. The service rep. was super nice, fought to make sure I got a tranny replacement OUT OF WARRANTY, had me shuttled to my house and back, let me test drive the loaners, gave me a loaner TL, had my car ready in 2 days, and has a beautiful showroom/dealer/lot with good coffee (not nasty, rusting pots), teas, bagels, donuts, and coffee cake. Don't say all when you mean some. Don't say some when you mean a few. Don't say a few when you mean a couple. And don't say a couple when you mean one.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
NNH's recent post regarding the decreased number of acura cl's points to Acura's very poor effort at being a true luxury brand. Their inability to provide a true luxury experience is what makes the brand worse. In fact, most of my friends love their acuras, its just that the dealers make us feel like lucky grown up honda drivers. Every other luxury car marque has made me feel like a true luxury car owner, not a grown up honda owner. Here are some of the shortfalls I have noticed:

1) No loaner cars
2) Honda buttons/switches all over the Acura cars
3) Lackluster showrooms
4) Paying for maintenance
5) Very poor "concierge" service
6) No food when I try to service my car over lunch (Mercedes and Lexus does this).
7) Poor service hours
8) A general condescending attitude towards the buyers.
10) A lack of going the extra mile for their customers
11) Slow adoption of higher end features... ie dual zone climate control, large sunroofs, awd, adaptive cruise control, adjustable suspension, a real computer interface, auto up and down, a working cd player.
12) Slow response to problems: I've had my cd changer changed twice now and it still doesn't work. (Doesn't eject/play my discs) So what do they say? "It's just that some of your cd's causes the player to bind up and stop working, so you should stop playing them."

Its sad, considering the engine, transmission, and suspension setups are competitive with everyone else's.

I love my Cl-s MT because of its rarity, its sleek look, and its engine/transmission, but Acura can be sure I won't ever buy a car from them or Honda again.
Some of those are true and some not for my Acura dealership. First, my dealership does give loaner cars to people who are 25+ years old and are still under warranty, plus if you aren't 25(like me) They will at least give ashuttle ride from and back to the dealership no matter where you live in the city.
Second, 7:30am -6:00am isn't too bad for service hours, just wish they were open on weekends. Third, I have never been "looked down on" when I was looking to purchase a car.
Fourth, they always wash and detail my car if I take my car in for service. They work around my needs and really tend to help out when purchasing a vehicle or doing a service.
My only complaint is that when I was dealing with the transmission issue it took them a whole day just to tell me they could not duplicate the issue and I would have to bring my car back, the ast time I was there. Other than that I have not had problems. Staff is friendly, and willing to help and actually remember who I am.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Back to a MT!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my first Acura from Brookfield (around Milwaukee), my dad bought his there and my sister in law bought a used Camry from them. They have a nice show room, great sales people and a great service department. Moving to Florida, I started going to Courtesy in Sanford and service has been pretty good when RJ worked there, but it was weird when you knew more about what was wrong than the techs (thanks a lot to this board!). From what I heard, if you take a CL to Fountain Acura and you’re not 40 they treat you bad. This being said, both dealers sales departments were terrible. Courtesy was a downright insult to my intelligence and I don't think they knew they were dealing with and engineer to plays with numbers. Not only that, they called me a few weeks ago asking how I was enjoying my car I never bought. I took a friend to Fountain, who was looking at switching from his Nissan to a Lexus or Acura. I was embarrassed for taking him there. We had a backwoods sales man who barely knew the product. The Lexus dealer was very nice though. I will probably drive an Acura as long as they still make manuals when I need to replace mine, but I will probably look into buying it from WI and driving it down. Acura is trying to reach a luxury perception in the general public such as BM and Lexus, but if you’re not already in the Acura loop, I'm sure it looks like a fancy Honda. I hope the requirements for sales people is revamped!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by usaf2008
I know this is a really old thread but it's still true today. It is ridiculous that we pay what we do for our acuras and the service is that horrible.
lexus is even worse, so if you think you have it bad your a dummy. only service worth a shit is BMW. they pay for everything under the sun accept tires for 50k miles
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
the acura dealership near me is horrible. i will never have my car serviced there
Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have to admit that the Acura of Serramonte (Daly City, CA) has always treated me pretty well.

Besides costing an arm and leg for parts or service...I have no major complaints.

They have donuts....never game em a shot.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

What a whiner. You're driving a car that is, at best, 5 or 6 years old and is worth probably $9,000.00. If you like 'luxury' so much why don't you buy a $40,000.00 Mercedes-Benz and put your money where your mouth is?

I work for a Mercedes-Benz dealer and loaners are not always availble and I've never heard of people getting lunch for free. BMW pays for your maintainence but guess what... you're paying for it in the price of the car!

Mercedes-Benz's service dept. isn't open on weekends and all new Acuras have 'dual zone climate control.' Geez.

Grow up dude!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
What a whiner. You're driving a car that is, at best, 5 or 6 years old and is worth probably $9,000.00. If you like 'luxury' so much why don't you buy a $40,000.00 Mercedes-Benz and put your money where your mouth is?
well, he made this thread in 2003 when his car was worth a lot more than $9k
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

ROFL!

Originally Posted by SG81
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
It's almost like Acura actually listened. Most of the features he complained about not having showed up in the 2004 models.

I think the real reason for the lack of sales for the Cl back in 03 was the fact that it was a relatively large coupe which is never going to be a car that works well for the majority of buyers. Coupes never sell as well as sedans.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
NNH's recent post regarding the decreased number of acura cl's points to Acura's very poor effort at being a true luxury brand. Their inability to provide a true luxury experience is what makes the brand worse. In fact, most of my friends love their acuras, its just that the dealers make us feel like lucky grown up honda drivers. Every other luxury car marque has made me feel like a true luxury car owner, not a grown up honda owner. Here are some of the shortfalls I have noticed:

1) No loaner cars
2) Honda buttons/switches all over the Acura cars
3) Lackluster showrooms
4) Paying for maintenance
5) Very poor "concierge" service
6) No food when I try to service my car over lunch (Mercedes and Lexus does this).
7) Poor service hours
8) A general condescending attitude towards the buyers.
10) A lack of going the extra mile for their customers
11) Slow adoption of higher end features... ie dual zone climate control, large sunroofs, awd, adaptive cruise control, adjustable suspension, a real computer interface, auto up and down, a working cd player.
12) Slow response to problems: I've had my cd changer changed twice now and it still doesn't work. (Doesn't eject/play my discs) So what do they say? "It's just that some of your cd's causes the player to bind up and stop working, so you should stop playing them."

Its sad, considering the engine, transmission, and suspension setups are competitive with everyone else's.

I love my Cl-s MT because of its rarity, its sleek look, and its engine/transmission, but Acura can be sure I won't ever buy a car from them or Honda again.

1. Never had a problem getting a loaner
2. Who cares, I have never mistaken my CL-S for an accord and I have owned both
3. Again who cares, reliability and service is where it is at....
4. Why do you think that BMW or Mercedes cost $10+ K more for a less reliable car?
5. What? you want the dealer to do everything for you?
6. Got snacks and drinks where I take my car
7. Lack of business causes this......
8. Only if you are young stupid and arrogant lawl......
9. You missed #9
10. Extra mile? what? it's a car dealer not someone trying to sell you a house....
11. What? TL / CL got HIDs before most in their price range, TL-S Smokes pretty much any 325/35 of the same year, CL-S was reviewed as one hot coupe with an engine that is like no other (C&D, MT, R&T), had VSA, 4 Channel ABS, etc before most others in their class, came loaded and are the best bang for the buck in their class.
12. Never had a problem with my in dash changer, are you using after market CD with lablels?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
funny how past meets present. ed

this is more of a cartalk thread