Acura considers AWD, HYBRID, S/Cs, Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cusdaddy
Sorry, but much of this doesn't get me too excited. An AWD Accord?? Big deal. I own a 03 Accord and it's a good car, but AWD won't do much for it.

2004 AWD TL? Not gonna happen. 2005 maybe

NSX - I've been reading the new NSX will basically be the same car just with new styling. Yawn.

Hybrid Legend - Very interesting concept but I still would prefer a nice powerful V8.

AWD isn't exciting on a platformm that has been traditionally FWD?????????????? But somehow the g35 getting AWD is?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally posted by cusdaddy
Sorry, but much of this doesn't get me too excited. An AWD Accord?? Big deal. I own a 03 Accord and it's a good car, but AWD won't do much for it.

AWD WILL do four things for the Accord (NONE particularly good):
a) increase weight
b) increase maintenance
c) increase cost (MSRP and maintenance)
d) hinder dry weather performance

I dont see a real need for AWD unless you have traction issues (which few Hondas have; at least none that couldnt be fixed with tire upgrades)

Peace
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by F23A4
AWD WILL do four things for the Accord (NONE particularly good):
a) increase weight
b) increase maintenance
c) increase cost (MSRP and maintenance)
d) hinder dry weather performance

I dont see a real need for AWD unless you have traction issues (which few Hondas have; at least none that couldnt be fixed with tire upgrades)

Peace

a. acuras implementation adds little to no weight so it's not a factor.

b. eh....not really i haven't seen anybody with CRVs complaining

c. not much...cost for many honda products is reduced so much because of implementation in other platforms, but we'll see.

d. how can you say that? How is dry weather performance hindered by AWD? Moreover, how is HONDAs AWD variant going to hinder performance
?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Peace. I'm out.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury carmakers are stickin with v8's, which is fine. But some companies, such as Honda, do think about the future. All those genious' think that v8's are so much better, but why? Is it the power? Is it the chance to burn even more gas? WHICH, if you haven't already noticed, is not going to get cheaper as the years pass. I'd like to see how far Honda can go with the hybrid, technology improves with time.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Zapata
a. acuras implementation adds little to no weight so it's not a factor.

b. eh....not really i haven't seen anybody with CRVs complaining

c. not much...cost for many honda products is reduced so much because of implementation in other platforms, but we'll see.

d. how can you say that? How is dry weather performance hindered by AWD? Moreover, how is HONDAs AWD variant going to hinder performance
?
If Honda could add a rear diff and driveshaft without adding weight, I would be impressed!! NOTE: AWDs like FWDs have strong tendency to understeer during hard driving (i.e.: autocross) but carry more weight penalty; see how well the RSX-S and ITR do against EVOs and WRXs on autocross circuits--I have and each time the Acuras did better.

Which of Honda's current AWD implementation is compatable with the Accord (2k3+)?? The CRV?? The MDX?? Answer: None! Not without some measurable development. (Development = Cost)

PEace..
Old 10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by F23A4
If Honda could add a rear diff and driveshaft without adding weight, I would be impressed!! NOTE: AWDs like FWDs have strong tendency to understeer during hard driving (i.e.: autocross) but carry more weight penalty; see how well the RSX-S and ITR do against EVOs and WRXs on autocross circuits--I have and each time the Acuras did better.

Which of Honda's current AWD implementation is compatable with the Accord (2k3+)?? The CRV?? The MDX?? Answer: None! Not without some measurable development. (Development = Cost)

PEace..

Of course adding 0lbs is a bit difficult but the added weight you are making it to be isn't as much as other AWD applications. I suggest you read some of the tech articles on the honda awd systems. I thought the same as you and was quite suprised.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:08 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Originally posted by unsure
i think honda will do turbo...when? beats me.....BUT honda does have a few turbocharged vehicles both auto and marine, and have been toying w/turbos since the early 80s...trust me....i think honda wants to make sure the turbo is done the rite way from the getgo...but i'm afraid they may think that adding a turbo will take away their rep of being a great engine manufacturer
They should have gotten the tranny right from the get go, now they don't have a lux/sprt coupe in the lineup. I think Honda is great and all but they're gonna milk this fwd, V6 thing for as long as they can, they don't give a shit what other car makers are doin. It would be nice if they had rwd, turbo, sc ...etc. Just my 2cnts.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally posted by slyraskal
i agree on this notion, honda needs a mid priced sports car to bring the gap between the civic and the s2000. bad choice of removing the prelude.
Just a thought, but coming from an owner of a first gen cl, why didn't they base the cl off of the last gen prelude instead of the old honda accord(94-95)? They replaced the accord the year after the first gen came out anyways. It would have been more of a real sports coupe, no?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 PM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

one thing. by switching to awd, it will not hinder dry weather performance.

lets just get that straight.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

ref. to Mitsu Eclipse GS turbo vs GSX. Though this is one person's opinion, it's been my experience also: http://www.reviewcentre.com/review23930.html NOTE: The guy's owned both.