Is Acura CLS class higher than Maxima SE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 697 Likes on 539 Posts
Is Acura CLS class higher than Maxima SE?

Let me guys know if you agree with me:

Original thread:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...46#post1014246

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bkknight369
ACTUALLY...a FULLY decked-out maxima (with EVERY option) would cost most than the cls...I was actually considering buying a maxima before my cls, but...i dunno...i didnt really want to spend 32k+ for a nissan...course this was well before the production of 350z was announced
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry buddy, but its not true... Fully loaded maxima is cheaper than CLS.... go to www.carsdirect.com
Acura CLS 6 speed: $31,050 ( no navi)
Fully loaded 6 speed Maxima SE 2003: $26,959 (no navi)

There is no way on earth you will ever buy CLS 6 speed no navi for $27K.... Nissan is giving $1000 customer rebate...

Regardless of this, let me give you a very simple example... you meet somebody and ask him,
"What do you drive?"
Answer: "Acura" or "Nissan".

Which one sounds better?

Don't get me wrong, if I hear the answer "BMW", I will like it better over "Acura"....

The name "Acura" itself has more weight, its a premium model of Honda.... and Maxima is not a premium model of Nissan... we should be talking about Infinity to be fare.
(compare Infinity to Acura... Acura will probably blow!)

I am sorry, but to be fare, Maxima is bellow Acura CLS... its very close, but its a class bellow....

And I don't want to hear all this crap about features in maxima, performance and etc that makes it similar to CLS....
Maxima is a great car, and in fact we have 2003 maxima SE in our family.... but lets not push it to the same level with Acura.... its silly to do that....

Its like BMW is BMW, no one cares that its only 325 ...

People are paying money not only for features/comfort/performance, they are also paying money for the NAME and REPUTATION.

EDIT: 350ZX is a two seater sport car, it is in its own class...
Old 11-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
You sound like a moron sir.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
absolutely....acura is above nissan, i dont care what the price is, etc..its all about the name, acura = infinity.....honda = nissan, thats the bottom dollar truth....the maxima boys will cry and say differently but face facts, acura = luxury (or near luxury according to some) and nissan = economy
Old 11-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jimcol711
absolutely....acura is above nissan, i dont care what the price is, etc..its all about the name, acura = infinity.....honda = nissan, thats the bottom dollar truth....the maxima boys will cry and say differently but face facts, acura = luxury (or near luxury according to some) and nissan = economy

So with that being said... then you are saying that the is300 has more luxury than the CLS cuz of the name?

Cuz we all know Lexus has more luxury than Acura.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
So with that being said... then you are saying that the is300 has more luxury than the CLS cuz of the name?

hahaha, not really...i drove an IS300....while i will admit typically lexus has a tighter fit and finish than acura, the IS300 is pretty cheap inside, i just cant make myself beleive the interior is luxury....even the exterior..those altezzas...blaah....the way i see it acura is in the same level with lexus, infiniti. lexus bigger cars are definately a step above the TL or the RL as far as im concerned but the IS is definately not above the CL-S as far as luxury or fit and finish are concerned..
Old 11-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,051 Likes on 3,578 Posts
You sound like a moron sir.
That's Mr. Moron to you buddy!
Old 11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Banned

Re: Is Acura CLS class higher than Maxima SE?

A Moron and he was wrong. lol

27k for my car new...

28k for a 6spd right now at dealer locally. CL-S bran new.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, is the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V a step below the Acura RS-X or the WRX? If you're gunna argue the nuts and bolts of whether Acura is superior to Nissan, you gotta compare some other similarly priced/equipped cars in different classes.

I do have to agree that TL-S vs. Maxima ... Acura is lessy cheesy inside (despite the overall "theme" of a cheesy dashboard) than the Maxima, the exteriors are the same in terms of fit and finish, the leather in both are the same to me, the overall engine quality and tranny quality .. who knows.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:34 PM
The Liquidator

there r cloths u can buy from walmart that r cheaper but almost the same as the ones from a mall...Its the brand name that counts!

PH
Old 11-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Race Director

ive personally never liked any japanese cars...thats why im gettin out of this gig.

their all the same shit to me, except for lexus.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Of course the CLS is in a different class then the Maxima.

First, the CLS is a 2 door, Max is a 4 door.

Like Jim said:
acura = infiniti
honda = nissan

Maxima and it's competitors

Now that's just how edmunds groups 'em but I would also say that the Nissan Altima 3.5L 5spd is also in the same midsized sedan class too (the max has an edge w/ a 6spd, but it also costs more).

Now comparing the G35c and the CLS.... that's another story

G35c and it's competing vehicles
Old 11-27-2002, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i agree amir, you're much too good for the japanese cars.

Old 11-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro

Originally posted by amirsafdari
ive personally never liked any japanese cars...thats why im gettin out of this gig.

their all the same shit to me, except for lexus.
you're leaving the acura-cl.com gang?
Old 11-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

fare => FAIR

fare - fare for flights or the bus fare.

fair - equality in opportunity, rules keep things fair.

sorry that was bothering me while i was reading this.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by mattg
i agree amir, you're much too good for the japanese cars.

i didnt say that...

i just dont like them...never have.

the feel, and just the drive doesnt compare to my old bmw...

thats why im going back to german cars...i speak from experience of driving LOTS of german cars most of which belonged to my parents, owning a german car...and owning 3 japanese cars...

and im not all about the name...in fact, i hate it...thats a reason why im going with the audi...its pretty low profile.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by RichS
you're leaving the acura-cl.com gang?
no im gonna pull a jesal and go german, but still be around
Old 11-27-2002, 10:13 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
not that it matters to the thread anymore, but b4 I bought my '03 CL-S I had priced and driven an '03 Titanium model Maxima SE. The price of the SE starts about $4k less than the CLS, but by the time you add the Meridan package (leather seats), the auto climate control - which includes the 200 watt Bose sound (still sucks), and other features to make it 'fully loaded' the difference in the price of the SE and the CL-S closes dramatically. The only things the SE gives you over the CL-S are: more interior head room; more useable cargo space (when you consider the 60/40 rear folding seats); the additional 2 doors; and the spoiler is already figured into the price. The CL-S gives you: 5 addit horses; options are cosmetic - no interior upgrades; buckets which are far more comfortable than the Max ((this is something I couldn't understand, as my Y2K SE had very comfortable buckets but the '03 felt like leather bench seats)); and more smiles to the miles.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
fare => FAIR

fare - fare for flights or the bus fare.

fair - equality in opportunity, rules keep things fair.

sorry that was bothering me while i was reading this.
Fu*k you too buddy...
Old 11-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Is Acura CLS class higher than Maxima SE?

Originally posted by SilverBullet
A Moron and he was wrong. lo7l

27k for my car new...

28k for a 6spd right now at dealer locally. CL-S bran new.
Are you aware that car prices are different depending on the area? In TX, cars are probably cheaper than here....

Its a fact, CLS will cost you at least 2-3K more than fully loaded maxima SE. ( Don't also forget that you have to add spoiler on CLS to make it look like maxima SE ( which comes with a spoiler)/

The price quote I gave is for Philadelphia area, TX has cheaper prices..... so don't try to be smart

PS. I am only talking about market prices, fu*k the MSRP ... that is for dummies...
Old 11-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know, is Lexus a better name than Acura? It's debatable.... But its clear that Acura is a better name than Nissan....

You missed my point, its not only features, comfort, luxary, or performance that gives value to the car.... its the freaken name...

You've got BMW, well in my oppinion 300 series are over-priced as hell, they are not really offering anything special to pay top $$$ ... but people still get them, because its BMW.

All you say is "BMW", and you don't need to say more, the name tells it all...
Old 11-27-2002, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
not that it matters to the thread anymore, but b4 I bought my '03 CL-S I had priced and driven an '03 Titanium model Maxima SE. The price of the SE starts about $4k less than the CLS, but by the time you add the Meridan package (leather seats), the auto climate control - which includes the 200 watt Bose sound (still sucks), and other features to make it 'fully loaded' the difference in the price of the SE and the CL-S closes dramatically. The only things the SE gives you over the CL-S are: more interior head room; more useable cargo space (when you consider the 60/40 rear folding seats); the additional 2 doors; and the spoiler is already figured into the price. The CL-S gives you: 5 addit horses; options are cosmetic - no interior upgrades; buckets which are far more comfortable than the Max ((this is something I couldn't understand, as my Y2K SE had very comfortable buckets but the '03 felt like leather bench seats)); and more smiles to the miles.
Again, don't look at MSRP prices... they are for idiots, I am talking about *market price* you get after hours of bargain ....
Nissan currently gives $1000 customer rebate... so with all this savings you will get Maxima SE 2-3K less than it will cost you to get Acura 6 speed CLS (in Philadelphia area). Trust me on this one -- I've done my research ...
Old 11-27-2002, 11:49 PM
puhaha

humm......i think this thread is really pointless
so OK.......Acura is better than Nissan
humm.......ok? congratulations?
Old 11-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Senior Moderator

russianDude

Just curious... but how old are you, and were you born in the u.s? Im just curious.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,051 Likes on 3,578 Posts
I'm glad you put a smiley in yer post Sellout, but I still think that he is gonna be
Old 11-28-2002, 07:03 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your thinking about a Maxima I'd hurry up and get a 03 because the 04s are (if they stay true to the prototypes body style) is ugly(to me but you might like em). and plus rumor is the maxima will be like the avalon and if you want a sport Nissan you'll have have to go with the 3.5 Altima
Old 11-28-2002, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

russianDude

Just curious... but how old are you, and were you born in the u.s? Im just curious.
I am turing 26 soon, nah, I was not born here... but its been a long time since I am here....
Old 11-28-2002, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Why is everybody so pissed off at me? My intentions were not to discredit Maxima, its a great car and I like it .... I just got tired of some Maxima owners thinking that they've got the best sh*t on earth....
They start comparing their Maximas to Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes.... its just way out of line ...

I hope I did not hurt anybodys feelings
Hopefully some of you will have more appriaction for your Acuras.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:54 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Water-S
If your thinking about a Maxima I'd hurry up and get a 03 because the 04s are (if they stay true to the prototypes body style) is ugly(to me but you might like em).
fugly more like it!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
fugly more like it!
And on top of that, 2004 Maxima will be made in USA instead of Japan.

To be safe I'd wait to hear the reviews and quality issues... Its risky to get Maxima made in USA in its first year..... I'd wait few years to see if its still the same quality...
Old 11-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Banned

http://www.gunnauto.com/index2.html

Here is a list of a dealer chain which is usually the cheapest here in town. Non-negotible.

27.5k for a non-navi Maxima loaded. Navi 29k.

CL-S non-navi, 28k, with navi, 30k. They don't show prices online for Acura, but that is what they have marked everytime I go by the dealer.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by russianDude
Why is everybody so pissed off at me? My intentions were not to discredit Maxima, its a great car and I like it .... I just got tired of some Maxima owners thinking that they've got the best sh*t on earth....
They start comparing their Maximas to Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes.... its just way out of line ...

I love my Acura, but also I had 4 Maximas as previous cars.

The Maxima just doesn't have the build quality my Acura does.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by russianDude

I dont know of many people that would think that their Maximas are at the same level as a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes. Now here is my arguement, why do you Acura guys think you are at the Lexus, BMW, Mercedes level??

Acura's main competitor is Infiniti as I see it. Yea some will read the C&D articles and think that the 330ci is a competitior, but its not. In the tests the Acura was really hindered by FWD. Yes they both posted near identical acceleration times, but thats the easy part. Any car company can make cars go fast in a straight line with the right engine. You really cannot compare a RWD car to a FWD car. Acura needs to quit living in the early 90's and finally build a RWD sedan/coupe. Automobile Magazine did a short review on the TSX and they said something to the sort of "Yea Acura really needs another FWD sedan"
Old 11-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SilverBullet
I love my Acura, but also I had 4 Maximas as previous cars.

The Maxima just doesn't have the build quality my Acura does.
Russ I actually agree with you one this one:P

Last night I rolled down my passenger side window and noticed that the power window motor is going. My rear window motor started making noises at 35k, so it was replaced under warranty. Now out of warranty, the passenger window is going. It really pisses me off that a 2 1/2 year old car does this sort of stuff.

I am really starting to dislike my Maxima. Come spring time I probably wont have it anymore. I think I am going to start looking for a CPO 99' M3 coupe manual. I would really like the 350Z, but I am kind of leaning away from it.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Maximized
I dont know of many people that would think that their Maximas are at the same level as a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes. Now here is my arguement, why do you Acura guys think you are at the Lexus, BMW, Mercedes level??

Acura's main competitor is Infiniti as I see it. Yea some will read the C&D articles and think that the 330ci is a competitior, but its not. In the tests the Acura was really hindered by FWD. Yes they both posted near identical acceleration times, but thats the easy part. Any car company can make cars go fast in a straight line with the right engine. You really cannot compare a RWD car to a FWD car. Acura needs to quit living in the early 90's and finally build a RWD sedan/coupe. Automobile Magazine did a short review on the TSX and they said something to the sort of "Yea Acura really needs another FWD sedan"
Nissan finally built a RWD sedan again in a long time in the US. So give Acura/Honda time, its got big plans.

Also Acura Lexus, Infiniti, etc are all compared because they are all considered luxury class. Nissan, Toy, Honda are not.

I have friends that own Lexus and they get in my car and they love it. Acura must be doing something right.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Banned

Russ I actually agree with you one this one:P

Last night I rolled down my passenger side window and noticed that the power window motor is going. My rear window motor started making noises at 35k, so it was replaced under warranty. Now out of warranty, the passenger window is going. It really pisses me off that a 2 1/2 year old car does this sort of stuff.

I am really starting to dislike my Maxima. Come spring time I probably wont have it anymore. I think I am going to start looking for a CPO 99' M3 coupe manual. I would really like the 350Z, but I am kind of leaning away from it.
Yea my 2000 Maxima windows were starting to show signs of slowing down like it was about to go out. I thought they fixed that problem, but was a known issue on the 3rd gens that the window regulators go out often.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Russ how much does a CL-S 6 speed cost without NAVI??
Old 11-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Banned

Russ how much does a CL-S 6 speed cost without NAVI??
In my town, 28k.

So tempting for me....
Old 11-28-2002, 02:40 PM
I love my G sedan

probably CL-S is half a class higher than Maxima SE.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
probably CL-S is half a class higher than Maxima SE.
Okay, so that makes the G35 Sedan only half a class higher, IS300, ES300, BMW 325.....

whatever your dreaming.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:44 AM

It's some of the prick owners. Most Maxima owners see their car as a baby 540 or GS 400. Some new guys with the VQ think it's better than damn near everything. In reading the complaints of the newer models (now they think they have 240hp and not 255) and terrible build quality, advantage CL-S.
Both are GREAT cars for 20k though. Acura dealer service though wonsz Nissan.

How about an I35 to a CL-S?
don't know, is Lexus a better name than Acura? It's debatable.... But its clear that Acura is a better name than Nissan....
Acura has nothing that can touch the GS, SC, LS, LX overall. Look at the price difference.

Quick Reply: Is Acura CLS class higher than Maxima SE?