Acura CL/TL S Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Got DEP???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaVtec21
120's the fastest I've ever gone, and probably as fast as I ever will go on the highway. It was scaryy as hell!!! Once I passed 110 and the lines on the road become ONE big one, I felt like if I hit one little bump in the road I was done!!! The car felt completely unstable at that high speed. The only reason I went that fast to begin with, was cuz some ricer in a '94 Prelude with an unpainted body kit and coffee can exhaust thought he could take me on!!! I had to smoke him and teach the poor kid a lesson!!! I mean c'mon now, wouldnt you have done the same?!?!?!!
That was the first time that I had this car over 140mph...
Came out of the toll booth and this queer in a civic hatchback that was half primer and half black (aftermarket panels) with a soda can exhaust, tried to pass me...
It's kind of funny, because I'm doing 85 by time the lanes merge from 6 to 3 and I'm already about 5 cars on the kid. So I just kept the gas down until I was going 140 and he was about 12 car lengths back... That's when I noticed how fast I was actually going and had to take the right exit haha... I think I scared some people then...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by pits200
Lots of you people who say your car feels unsafe over 100mph is probably because of unbalanced tires, slightly bent rims, and/or cheap tires. At those high speeds you really start to notice the difference between quality tires and cheapies.

I got a slightly modded suspension, but even before that, I could easily cruise at 100mph without a problem.
My car actually feels more reliable when I'm doing 120 then when I am going 60... Maybe that is all because I am used to going fast more so than slow. I'm the guy who is taking his time driving on the highway, but feels like he is being blocked in when people are only going 80... Not sure why (need for the speed I guess).

I have BRIDGESTONE HP50 ( I have had no problems with these tires, even at over 100 on wet roads) on stock rims and they handle great. I paid $160 for each, instead of the $75 for cheapies that these people seem to have. I don't even have any mods for suspension or anything...

I have some phone video (poor quality) of myself doing 110 in the snow and a tractor trailor that jacknifed on the other side of the highway. It's about how these people GET SCARED WHEN THEY GO FAST. If I was to post about races like most people on here, they would all be the same... "I waited for him to catch up to me, gate shifted to third at 80 and as soon as I hit 110 and looked in my mirror, they were hitting the brakes... " So many people just get scared after hitting 100.

As most people don't like it, I feel comfortable when my car feels like it is just 'floating'. Kind of feels like those cars at the amusement park when you were a kid that had rails on each side to keep you in the lane...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Got DEP???

Here's an example of me in my mustang. It took me 15 minutes (literally) to go 42 miles to a friends house (from when I hung up, until I walked in her door). I know my car (stock) had a max speed of 155, but I had all sorts of aftermarket goodies. So, if you do the math 42 divided by .25 (15 min = .25 of an hour) = 160 mph. So I guess that is the fastest I have gone in my car...

My motorcycle was only 140 mph, but I didn't want to push it without my helmet.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Did 120mph once on my Honda Nighthawk 550s. The front tire was so bald threads were showing. I'm still here.

Several months later I get cut off by an elderly taxi driver while doing 40mph. the bike was crushed on impact. THere were dents in several areas of the bones in my lower left leg but no breaks or blood. Still here. Sued the living shit out of the small time cab company and put them out of business.

Got cut off by a redneck in a pick-up truck when I was doing 100mph in my 97 Nissan 240SX SE. Crushed the front end all the way up to the firewall. As soon as the car stopped sliding on the asphalt I opened the door and walked out - No injuries. Still here
Old 12-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Got DEP???

Ha...
Speed isn't always the factor in crashes.

I was going to Montreal for new years eve and didn't leave until 5:30 pm (5 hr drive usually) on new years eve. All of my friends were already up there so me and my buddy took my integra and flew up... Problem: There was a few inches of snow on the ground and it was snowing heavily... Got more than half way through Vermont in about two hrs (was driving about 120 the whole time) and the snow got so bad (plus winding road) that I had to slow down to around 60. At that time, I took my foot of the gas and let the engine slow me down... BAD MOVE! The rear end kicked out and I was heading for a cliff! I pulled the e-brake and steered into it and all was well, thankfully. So I decided "Ok, I need to go slower!" and did the same thing again, not realizing that that was why I lost control... This time I was all the way over and doing around 40... Car kicked out again and I pulled the e-brake and my buddy asked if it was OK. I simply said "Nope, where hitting it" and BAM! Nailed the gaurd rail and I ended up sideways across both lanes (right after the crest of a hill too) and I knew there was a bunch of cars that I had just passed coming my way. I started the car as quick as I could and pulled off an exit that was right there. I got out and checked the damage... I buckled my hood, smashed my headlight and half the bumper was hanging off.
I ripped the bumper in half, threw it in the back seat and m buddy said "Now what, we going home?" so of course I said "Nope! Number one rule of leadership... Mission accomplishment!". So finally after a nerve racking drive, I get to the Canadian border and Customs asked me "Business or Pleasure". I gave him my Military ID and said pleasure. They gave it back and said, have a good night. I was shocked! Here it was, New Years Eve and I pull up with a car that is smashed and has one head light and they didn't even ask if I had been drinking or anything! I saw about 6 cars off the road on my way through the Canadian roads and was driving very cautiously.

The next day I finally realized why I had lost control... Bald tires in the rear and engine braking had caused the front to brake while the rear was free to slide...
Always replace bald tires! Oh, and after I got back on the highway, it sounded like the small stock lip was rubbing so I got out to rip that off and I thought about the noise a little more. I had heard it before on a mustang I had when I was 16. The noise reminded me of when my lug nuts were loose on one of my aluminum rims. I got out and checked it... Sure as shit, they were about 3/4 way off on the front side that hit the guard rail. Thankfully that didn't fall off on me HA!
Live and Learn...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I should have taken a photo of the speedo of the Chevy Uplander I recently rented - at 220kph! Actually, I was stopped and still in park, but the needle zings all the way over when you first start the thing up - it was the most exciting part of the drive, actually.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I got mine up to 130 or so. Never really cared to go faster. I think a couple years I got old and decided I didn't care to kill myself trying to go faster than 85-90.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I should have taken a photo of the speedo of the Chevy Uplander I recently rented - at 220kph! Actually, I was stopped and still in park, but the needle zings all the way over when you first start the thing up - it was the most exciting part of the drive, actually.
True, but would you have the RPM's to back it up. If you were doing 220KPH in an Uplander, the RPMS would have been like 5500 and not the 800rpms it idles at. You also would have to be a mad man to do that.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Got DEP???

Drive fast, take risk...

If you are to scared to drive that fast, why would you want to spend so much money to make it that fast???

If you can't handle driving fast, get yourself a minivan...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Got DEP???

I take that back... Back in 1996 when I worked at a Chrysler dealership, I had a caravan up to 110-115 mph and it drove pretty smooth, but most people probably couldn't handle that...

Just don't drive fast!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redsly
Drive fast, take risk...

If you are to scared to drive that fast, why would you want to spend so much money to make it that fast???

I race all the time, but only up to about 70mph. If the race isn't definitive by this speed, so be it. You can still have a good time with a fast car and not go 140mph.

You ever go on the highway and notice that every Vette you see is going like 65.2mph and is never speeding. When I drive on the highways, the cars I notice that are going the fastest are:
1.) Minivans with dad drivers
2.) Old civics that look like their body kit is going to fall off.
3.) 1994 Pontiac Grand-ams
4.) V-6 mustangs

Just because you have a fast car, it doesn't mean you have to drive like a lunatic.

I like a big v-6 because your car doesn't always have to downshift and sputter to make it up a huge hill. But in all honesty, our cars are only slightly above average in speed compared to cars out of the factory now adays.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redsly
Drive fast, take risk...

I spent the money because I could. Not because I wanted to go fast. If that were the case, I would have gotten a Supra or something like that. Not a CL.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by pits200
I race all the time, but only up to about 70mph. If the race isn't definitive by this speed, so be it. You can still have a good time with a fast car and not go 140mph.

You ever go on the highway and notice that every Vette you see is going like 65.2mph and is never speeding. When I drive on the highways, the cars I notice that are going the fastest are:
1.) Minivans with dad drivers
2.) Old civics that look like their body kit is going to fall off.
3.) 1994 Pontiac Grand-ams
4.) V-6 mustangs

Just because you have a fast car, it doesn't mean you have to drive like a lunatic.

I like a big v-6 because your car doesn't always have to downshift and sputter to make it up a huge hill. But in all honesty, our cars are only slightly above average in speed compared to cars out of the factory now adays.
Having the power is great. I have avoided many accidents due to the fact that I can get up and go to advert from some idiot side swiping me. Your list of cars is very well observed here too. I used to love when a v6 mustang would try to race me in my integra... It was nice knowing that a 4-banger could kill a v6. That was then though...
I also agree, that you don't have to go that fast. I was just stating that people who try to go that fast shouldn't spend the money to do it if they are scared to do it. You are more than correct about the fact that having the power is more than a good reason to spend the money. I went to Connecticut this weekend in my fiance's 06 civic and it seemed so slow to get up to certain speeds.
When she was sleeping I went to a mall to get an engagment ring and on the way back I was speeding to get back before she woke up. Everyone on the highway was going exactly the speed limit, but when I passed them, they would speed up behind me until I moved back to the center lane.

Matter of fact, leaving the Crystal Mall, I saw a silver CL or TL (I only saw it from the back at a distance) that was the only car around to actually take off and drive fast.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

Yes but it is nice to have a 500 HP cl-s tho
Old 12-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I spent the money because I could. Not because I wanted to go fast. If that were the case, I would have gotten a Supra or something like that. Not a CL.
I understand completly. I didn't write a book for a change and it didn't get my point across. I was stating that towards the people who say that they feel like their car is going to fly off the road by hitting a rock at 100 mph. I don't think a person who can't handle driving fast should be trying to. I gotta go get my fiance' a dress for the Marine Corps Ball. I'll be back to try and clear this up...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

150 Is pretty fast..

GUYS PLEASE BE CAREFULL IF U THINKING ABOUT GOING THAT HIGH
Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Buying a car that has the capacity to do around 150mph in the right conditions/mods but whinning about being afraid of going too fast is like buying a Boeing 757 and being afraid to go over 500 feet - it simply doesn't make sense. Do what the other dude said and get yourself a minivan. Better yet wait until the power company gets ready to sell their fleet and get yourself an electric car.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered CL-er!

My other car is a 97 Malibu. When the suspension was gone with worn tires, The fastest i did was 115mph and the crazy thing is it felt comfortable. The whole car would rattle and shake. Now since I changed all the sruts and tires (oem) I don't feel the comfort level to push to those speeds again. I think it all has to do with a comfort level . Plus, the car as 85k. It may be time to change the sway bar mounts and any other bushings. j
Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by USURPER
Buying a car that has the capacity to do around 150mph in the right conditions/mods but whinning about being afraid of going too fast is like buying a Boeing 757 and being afraid to go over 500 feet - it simply doesn't make sense. Do what the other dude said and get yourself a minivan. Better yet wait until the power company gets ready to sell their fleet and get yourself an electric car.
So, based on you're logic....if everyone on here are not planning on hitting the limiter, then they should get a mini van. You right, I can't understand why I never saw that before. Thanks for opening my eyes.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,094 Posts
I think you're all right in a way. I don't get why people buy Vettes and Porsches and do 65 mph on the highway and probably never even come close to pushing the car to where it's made to go, but at the same time a CL, be it a CL-P or a CL-S, isn't one of these cars and shouldn't be doing 150 mph without the proper mods and on a track, not on a public road. I love the fact our cars are as fast as they are, but I love it because people under rate them or don't see a luxury coupe as a fast car, not because it's a sports car. That's why I got my CL-S. I had a SC'd Civic Si that would smoke most CLs but I got rid of it to have a comfortable, reliable car that could still hang stop light to stop light, not for going 150 mph. :2 cents:
Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered CL-er!

These people who drive vettes and porsches know there car is fast that's why they drive slow. If they did drive fast they would stick out like a sore thumb and get pulled over. Hitting 150 is just by chance. I don't think anyone here woke up one morning and made it their agenda for that day to hit 150. Then, I may be wrong.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

Just drive carefull guys.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Yeah..use common sense and KNOW your car. if it's getting shaky, take your foot off the gas. If you see brakelights half a mile ahead, slow down. 18 year olds vary in maturity...I know I wouldn't have wanted to go that fast at 18 because I'de fear for my life or my passenger's life. But now that I have been driving a decently quick car, taking it up to 130 on the occasion doesn't really bother me. That and the owners manual says "this car is made to perform at higher than average speeds". Kinda confidence inspiring

Be safe and have fun. Also--remember that Acura HAS to bend over for various bureaucracies when it comes to things like this. My guess is that the 147 MPH limiter is probably the "safest" top speed they would allow. But it's probably the tip of the iceberg as to how fast you could get this car going if you were on...say...the autobahn.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Pro

all I can say is... take the car to the track. Do not go crazy on the road and max out your car. A public road is not a race track. Just when you think no one is on the road someone could pull out of nowhere and wham! it's over! You could get pulled and they would cut up your liscence and tow your car garanteed if you got caught maxing out.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
need quidance on my new

everyone, i just bought a 2001 type s cl and i love it.. i just installed an aem cold air intake and it sounds good. what do i need to put into the car to make it faster...
please let me know
Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

lol, slightly off topic man. I'de check the search button there is plenty of information on the boards.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dlgpapi
everyone, i just bought a 2001 type s cl and i love it.. i just installed an aem cold air intake and it sounds good. what do i need to put into the car to make it faster...
please let me know
500 shot of nitrous
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
500 shot of nitrous
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Intermediate

a tornado and an e-ram electronic supercharger ought to do it
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acurapimp504
My 1st car was a 84 Z28 with a 350 at 15 and my second car was a 86 camaro with a small block 454 at 17. I have only been in one wreck (I wasnt driving) Age doesn't matter, its whether the kid paid for his own car or not.
that's exactly it..
Old 12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Instructor

You know I always love these debates on speed and safety on this website (sarcasm). It doesn't matter whether you own a 1994 Toyota Corolla or a 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish - speed KILLS if you don't know what the hell you're doing, and you don't have to be traveling at 140mph to end your life. Anywhere from 60mph and up will do it in the wrong conditions. What kills me is the Autobahn has been in existence for YEARS. They travel at speeds well above 140 and even 150mph yet they have only had a fraction of the accidents and fatalities in comparison to North America.

You know what the main problem is? The main problem is America's culture. In our society we place taboos on certain cultural practices that are only the norm in other countries, which breeds ignorance. You can buy a beer in McDonald's in Spain and there practically isn't a drinking age in many countries in Europe but if that happened here there would be mass anarchy.

I said all that to say this: If America's culture was better constructed to teach its citizens how to deal with issues such as high speed driving there wouldn't be such a problem. But to acknowledge the fact that American citizens need high speed training leads to the next dilemna: improving highway conditions to support a higher speed of driving. But, no, we're expected to just 'know better' and not travel at high speeds when the average citizen can purchase vehicles that can go well beyond any posted speed limit in this country. Pointing fingers and chastizing people isn't the solution. Education is the key.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

They start drinking under 16 in germany. But they don't get their license's until they're 18 +. We get our license's at 16 in America, and we can't start drinking til we're 21 +.

They learn how to control their liquor AND they are more mature by the time they begin driving. That is the big difference.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:10 AM
THE J35A2...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've hit 160mph on chassis dyno. did 145mph on 71fwy near Chino, CA in Riverside in my 6th gen Accord (J30A1 engine) long time ago, it took me forever to reach that speed. have done several 120mph ran also before.

1996 i got busted for speeding, they suspend my license, when they found a bunch more on my record and have to pay $1800. lesson learned. It's up to ya'll people now to learn yours, i can't stop you guys from doing it, just remember the risks and i'm telling you it's trully painful, specially if you love driving and cars...

i dont wanna be hypocritical on my statement, i still do speed, not as bad as 10 years ago, and i tried not to put other people in danger as much as i can...

strip is the best place if you want to know how fast you are...
Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Intermediate

I hit 117 in fourth and put it into fifth. I got up to 133 and I could have gone into 6th but I decided to let off...too close to new year's = too many cops.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbovation
They start drinking under 16 in germany. But they don't get their license's until they're 18 +. We get our license's at 16 in America, and we can't start drinking til we're 21 +.

They learn how to control their liquor AND they are more mature by the time they begin driving. That is the big difference.

That's exactly my point, which is why in some areas in the U.S. there have been laws that have been put in place that if a kid doesn't maintain a certain grade point average they can't get a learner's permit. They even have a curfew and/or a passenger limit on teenage drivers. Some counties in America are just now begining to catch on but what really needs to be done is the driver's test needs to be revamped to actually educate kids on various driving conditions. It doesn't make any damn sense.

Even when I was in high school in the late 80's and I took driver's Ed they used 30-year-old video tapes and those corny ass automobile desks. I didn't learn one damn thing that I didn't already know from having been driving my dad's custom 350 chevy truck since I was 13. By the time I had reached my senior year in high school nearly half the kids at my school had already totalled at least one car, lost their driver's license due to loss of points or blown an engine from racing too hard. Some of my classmates even got killed racing on dark, country roads with sharp turns at night. I kept the same Scirocco all through high school and college.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by USURPER
You know I always love these debates on speed and safety on this website (sarcasm). It doesn't matter whether you own a 1994 Toyota Corolla or a 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish - speed KILLS
I am just wondering, what kind of cars do you think you see on the AutoBahn??? You think you see a pimped out cavalier with a 4 foot spoiler racing a 1998 Pontiac Grand-Am. I am pretty sure that you see mostly German and European vehicles which are built for top end speed VS. Dodge Minivans and Geo Metros on the U.S highways.

Also, the condition of the AutoBahn is kept in tip top condition, made with all the bells and whistles including banked turns.

Do you really believe the most educated driver in a 1994 Toyota Corolla can go 140mph against an AMG Mercedes.

But I agree that people need to be educated, not really how to drive at high speeds, but how their particular vehicle performs at high speeds.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Pro

Reasons why highways here will never be like the autobahn:

1. America is broke. They will not spend loads of money keeping highways in condition to run those speeds.

2. Cars sold in America are not built like true european cars. They have cup holders, A plug up for your ipod etc. If they got rid of speed limits you would see dumb people talking on cell phones and listening to their ipod at the same time while going over 100 mph not paying attention to anything. An accident waiting to happen there. Cars have to be made for no nonsense driving.

3. No matter how fast you go. Granny in her buick will always go 15-30 mph. I can picture someone opening it up and having to stop suddenly because of old dust bag grave dodger granny.

4. SUV Rollover will be an epidemic. Everyone will wonder why thier yukon or tahoe can make a quick lane change over 110 mph. Lawsuits everywhere because of stupidity.

5. What would we do without world's wildest police chases part 9 on spike TV?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CLsuperhero

1. America is broke. They will not spend loads of money keeping highways in condition to run those speeds.

2. Cars sold in America are not built like true european cars. They have cup holders, A plug up for your ipod etc. If they got rid of speed limits you would see dumb people talking on cell phones and listening to their ipod at the same time while going over 100 mph not paying attention to anything. An accident waiting to happen there. Cars have to be made for no nonsense driving.

3. No matter how fast you go. Granny in her buick will always go 15-30 mph. I can picture someone opening it up and having to stop suddenly because of old dust bag grave dodger granny.

4. SUV Rollover will be an epidemic. Everyone will wonder why thier yukon or tahoe can make a quick lane change over 110 mph. Lawsuits everywhere because of stupidity.

Oh......and speed doesn't kill....it's the sudden stop.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CLsuperhero

I just wanna add to number 3.

Granny in her buick always goes 15-30 mph IN THE FAST LANE!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

i live in the uk and on the "hiway" i got mine up to about 155. with just intake and headers. it took quite a while after 145 tho.

Quick Reply: Acura CL/TL S Top Speed