Acura ads.....why so serious???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 09:13 PM
aka davo-tsx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura ads.....why so serious???

I think Acura needs to lighten up on their ads. They're always so uppity and serious compared to the Maxima and Subaru WRX commercials.

I saw the new WRX ad in Car and Driver...."The new WRX doesn't just hug curves. It throws them in a headlock and gives them a noogie". That statment alone makes me want to drive that car.

The new Maxima commercial with hardcore straight-line accereration, cool music, great camera work makes me want to hop in that car and floor it.

IMHO, Acura's ads just don't appeal to the general public and drives them to want to buy their car. I would bet that word of mouth and return customers are 99% are their business. Whew, got it all out of my system.

------------------
'01 CLS #4055 Red/Parchment-all the goodies
Old 04-18-2001, 09:15 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Amen to that. Nissan commercials rock. Honda commercials are getting better at least though...not Acura though. Fine, the TL-S one is not bad...

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~#10,029!!~ ~Navi!~ ~XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~ ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps AND high-beams~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~
As per CLPower's request, I have removed my former post count(which was 500 :p)
Old 04-18-2001, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I think the reason why the CL-S commercials are so serious is because Acura was targeting an older market. From this forum, it seems like they were entirely wrong on their marketing scheme!
g

------------------
'01 Silver::TYPE-S (navi)
::Spoiler::
::Comptech Springs::
::18"ADR Enigma & 225/40
::35%tint all around
::type-s license frame
::Acura Winter Mats
::Polarg M-6

Click here for pics of my CL!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Yeah, it's clear from the CL-S ads and even the new TL-S ads (which I like better) that they were targetting the 35-54 age group, so they have a softer edge to them.

My favorite car ads are still the 95-96 nissan 300ZX ads with the toy 300ZX and barbie and ken dolls. The whole "life's a journey, enjoy the ride" campaign rocked. Made me buy a 300ZX. ;-)
Old 04-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
they didn't even have real actors in the cl-s commercials, just some retarded people driving arund and dancing (no offense to retarded people).

the tl-s commercial has people talking...they probably had to pay more for talking people.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheelchairs come to mind when I see the CL-S stuff...

I don't get it....

Perhaps, the ad. agency doing the Maxima and WRX commercials can help out.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-18-2001, 09:51 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kastegir:
Yeah, it's clear from the CL-S ads and even the new TL-S ads (which I like better) that they were targetting the 35-54 age group, so they have a softer edge to them.

My favorite car ads are still the 95-96 nissan 300ZX ads with the toy 300ZX and barbie and ken dolls. The whole "life's a journey, enjoy the ride" campaign rocked. Made me buy a 300ZX. ;-)
</font>
You mean this one

http://www.adcritic.com/content/niss...bie-dolls.html
Old 04-18-2001, 10:03 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Nah, the funniest commercial from Nissan was the one with the birds mimmicking a scene outta Top Gun with the birds *firing* at the Nissan, now that was hillarious!!
Old 04-18-2001, 10:04 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kastegir:

</font>
That Nissan ad was awesome,Van Halen wailing"you really got me",i loved it.
I'm 47 and the Acura ads for CL-S do nothing for me.The TL-S ads are way better but nothing close to stressing performance like the Maxima ads,now those get my attention.

------------------
San Marino Red
Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
Old 04-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Heh. That's the one.

The other Nissan one's cool as well. The original Lincoln LS ad was pretty great too.

My point was that Acura/Honda needs to be MUCH more creative. Right now the car sells itself because it has to It'd be nice if that ads helped. The only reason I even knew about the CL-S to look at it was some of the print ads they do in magazines. Otherwise, I probably would've bought a 325 by now.

[This message has been edited by kastegir (edited 04-18-2001).]
Old 04-18-2001, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Seriously nissan ads kick ass... ACURA ads blow

when i see the wrx commercial God that makes me want that car soo bad

------------------
Silver CL-Type S
Polarg M-19 turns blue,white,and amber
All blue interior lighting along with hte plate hehe
Wheel Locks
next mods:CAI, air scoops
Old 04-18-2001, 11:22 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
Nah, the funniest commercial from Nissan was the one with the birds mimmicking a scene outta Top Gun with the birds *firing* at the Nissan, now that was hillarious!!</font>
They've got that one too

http://www.adcritic.com/content/niss...gun-birds.html
Old 04-18-2001, 11:40 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by synth19:
I think the reason why the CL-S commercials are so serious is because Acura was targeting an older market. From this forum, it seems like they were entirely wrong on their marketing scheme!
g

</font>
Unfortunately this forum does not represent the typical CL driver. Only a certain type of people participate in auto chat rooms/newsgroups/discussions. So the make-up of this forum cannot be used to determine the typical CL driver.

As for the CL commercials, the difference is in the ad agency. Creativity can be had at a price.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 04-18-2001, 11:47 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by frederix:
You mean this one

http://www.adcritic.com/content/niss...bie-dolls.html
</font>
That $1 million ad was considered a total waste of money and a flop by the entire advertising industry. No message, no point, and no appeal to the target audience. Result: no add'l car sales and a discontinued model. But it was COOOOOL!

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 04-19-2001, 02:05 PM
Meat Popsicle

If you look at who posts in this forum there are about 20-40 really active posters. That certainly does not represent the majority of owners of an Acura. Just hang around the dealers service area when you drop your car off. The owners are not the under 25's that seem to do the majority of the postings.
With the exception of the Civic slammers, Honda customers tend to be conservitive in their choices in long term buying. They don't mind spending a bit more for an Accord over a Taurus, since down the road it will pay off. And for the most part, the zero to sixty time is of little significance compared to cost of ownership, trade in, insurance cost...
Acura is Honda's brand for the grown up customer. They don't need to show you the cars details, since as a Honda customer, you most likely know about it already. The ads are meant to evoke a feeling about the car, and that feeling seems to be aimed at a mature audience. They want to show their car in your lifestyle. ( Or an idealized version of your lifestyle. )
Face it, the average Acura ( non- Intergra ) customer is not out crusing "hotties" and drag racing every dumb ass with a death wish that the see on the street. That may appear to be the majority lifestyle by reading this group, but even most of them will grow up eventually.

Nissan shows the Maxima sliding sideways with Roger Daltry screaming in the back ground because they want to attract young buyers. They want customers who buy from gut reaction, because if they research the cars, they do not compare favorably to Honda and Toyota in areas related to long term ownership. I am not knocking the Maxima, if you like it, fine. It seems like a decent enough car.

Thats my theory and I am sticking to it.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments