6spd, 2nd gear notchiness when car is cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6spd, 2nd gear notchiness when car is cold

Forgive me for the apparent noob question but there are sooo many transmission threads talking about the 2nd gear overheat weakening/recall in the automatics, I can't find good info on my situation. I am having the notchiness from 1st to 2nd when the tranny/car is cold. Going through the gears helps a little but not as much as just driving the car for a few minutes. I have also noticed shifting to neutral, hesitating, then shifting to 2nd helps slightly. After searching, I came across these.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102651
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180839

I just got an '03 CL-S 6spd and it has 60,000 miles. It was single owned, adult driven, and I can see it wasn't really beat on. Additionally, double clutching in an attempt to bypass the synchros proves ineffective which leads me to believe it is something other than bad synchros.

Has there been any resolution to the problem that helped people (Aside from driving only in the summer)? Has anyone figured out what the problem is? I will be putting on a Neuspeed shifter but I don't really expect to help with this problem.

Any direction towards an answer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Also, if this needs to be moved to problems & fixes, please do so; I am still in the process of learning the ins and outs to this site.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Jimmy, alot of us 6speeders had that same issue when we bought our cars new.

I got my 6spd in Oct (2002), so it started having the notchiness right after I bought it. When spring came, it went away. And on the following winter when I had 12K miles on it, it didn't seem that "notchy" anymore. I chalked it up to the tranny wearing in, and me getting used to the shifter.

Hopefully Jproy will pipe in, as he had some resent 6spd tranny work done...

Other have tried some other transmission fluids with varying results...

edit: I've moved this out of the transmission forum as that's for the auto guys. You're probably right on this being a "Problems and Fixes" post, but I'll move it into the General discussion forums since this is starting to become a FAQ (frequently asked question).
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah, I saw your response in the other thread and was hoping wouldn't get a "search for notchiness" answer. I only worry because despite having the 100,000 mile certified warranty on this car, I would rather now have problems from the get go or if it is a problem, have it fixed so that if it reoccurs, I am not SOL.
I am also disappointed Neuspeed discontinued their catback since I think they make great systems (aside from that chipping issue) but that is another story.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
Yeah, I saw your response in the other thread and was hoping wouldn't get a "search for notchiness" answer. I only worry because despite having the 100,000 mile certified warranty on this car, I would rather now have problems from the get go or if it is a problem, have it fixed so that if it reoccurs, I am not SOL.
Don't worry about it, stiff shifting when cold is quite common with a manual. Both my RX7 and Audi of some years ago were the same way.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
More reading for ya':

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178800

The guys over on the 3G TL board have a lot more experience with using non-honda MTF...

I'm still using the stock stuff, but might try something else like Redline's MTF when I change the fluid.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had grinding issues with 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at 25000 miles. Took it to the dealer in B'ham and they replaced the 2nd and 3rd gear sets. The night after I got the car back it grinded going into 2nd. it never grinded again going it third. I found that when the tranny is cold, if you get quick with a high RPM 1-2 shift you will always get grinding. I read here that people were only getting grinding when cold so I started to pay attention to it. It seemed to me that I could only get the car to grind when it was cold after I started paying attention to it. At about 75000 miles I switched my fluid to Redline MTF. Shifting was noticeably better leaving the local Honda dealer I had change the fluid. However, I still experienced grinding although less frequently. I have found that in order to minimize grinding, do not ever shift quickly or at high RPM until you have been driving for at least 15-20 minutes. You must allow time for the thermal energy from the running engine and friction to fully saturate the gears and synchronizers. In addition to this I have found that before you even start to pull the stick to disengage the gear you are currently in, to go to the next gear, you must make sure the clutch is completely to the floor and stays there during the entire shift.

The Honda Accord I owned for 190000 miles before my CLS6mt was a 5mt and I may have grinded the gears once or twice while I owned it. My point is I am not new to a stick. I dogged the hell out of that car. I would yank the stick out of gear before the clutch ever made it to the floor, if it ever even made it there during shifting. I would have the clutch back out about the same time the stick popped into the next gear. It was one fluid motion. I can’t do that in the CLS6mt without grinding if trans is remotely cold. If it is warm there does not seem to be a problem.

At 82000 miles my input shaft seal failed on my trany along with the clutch and rear main seal among other things. I had the mechanic replace the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th gear and synchronizer sets while everything was open. It cost about $750 for the gears and syncros. Now I think it shifts better than ever before with the original fluid in it. I am going to the dealer to have the new formulation MTF installed. I do not know if it was put in or not. If it does not improve shifting I will go back to the Redline MTF. Many of the TL, S2K, and CL guys have been using the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified formula with great results In the Manual Transmissions but I am skeptical about other adverse effects, corrosion etc.. Sorry for the long rant. I hope this helps some. Jim

you can check out my delima at:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184275
Old 10-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've noticed that other cars that I've owned that are MT have the same issue as the CLS6mt. My '95 Yota did this, same as my '99 VW VR6 and '02 VW 1.8T, and my divorced '06 Benz 6mt.

I've mashed on those cars to as well and the same thing always happened when it was cold. Can't shift from 1st to 2nd in high RPM unless the MTF is warm and meshing through the gears.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippee
Don't worry about it, stiff shifting when cold is quite common with a manual. Both my RX7 and Audi of some years ago were the same way.

Every stick I had weather it was a POS beater or the CLS the cars always shift a bit harder in cold weather. Has to do with the fluid.
Now honda just came out with an updated manual trany fluid you may want to check out. It may help these things.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
if you get quick with a high RPM 1-2 shift you will always get grinding
You can fix this by doing the clutch dampner mod that we just found out about.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input.
I know that I have had good luck with just Penzoil Synchromesh in other cars which is essentially the GM stuff without as much friction modifier but also much less in cost. I think that stuff was like $12 per quart.
I was just shocked that the temp went down and all of a sudden it is like I am scared to shift into second for the first 5-10 mins. I personally never encountered as pronounced of a notchy feeling as that.
I'll try the dampener, the neuspeed SS, and switch the gear oil and see what it does; other than that, this is one bad ass car.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the money, I think the car is awesome too.