6 speeders: Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speeders: Is this normal?

Car has 18k on it and I just noticed this today. Depressing the clutch is fine, car shifts fine, letting out clutch is smooth except if I let out the clutch slowly, during the last little bit before the clutch is not depressed at all there is a small vibration. Kind of hard to explain but I can feel it in my foot and it's kind of annoying. I don't recall noticing this previously.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Sounds like a bit of chatter in the clutch. Have you smelt clutch before? If you heat scored the clutch it could have created a hard spot, and hence the vibration or chatter.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:09 PM
10th Gear

Nope, no clutch smell and with the winter weather around here, I've been driving it about as slow as possible. Today was the first time I've noticed it.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:45 PM
GEB
Racer

I've only had mine for about 3 weeks but it doesn't do that. It's got about 17K on it so the mileage is really close to yours ... I will say that this is one of the toughest clutches I've ever used. The few other people who have driven it stalled her in first. I've never done that but it's really hard to get a smooth transition into second (I usually get a little bump of speed). I'm working on that but I definitely don't feel a vibration. How hard do you drive your CL?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

I'm not hard at all on the car. I live in an area with a ton of police so I really have to watch it. The issue however, isnt when shifting, my shifts are as smooth as they have always been. It's just the very end of letting the clutch out, past the engagement point has a very faint vibration. I really wish I could describe it better.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have this problem and I have 41k on my 6 speed. Some retard I let drive my car was hitting about 5000rpm and didnt let off the clutch all the way, this was the only time I have ever smelled my clutch burning.

I do drive my car hard as well.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I have tons of vibrations so I can't comment. My car had them since the heads were rebuilt at 1200 miles, now almost 16K. Trips do the dealer resulted in denied warranty work because of headers & pullies, so I have to live with it.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Way Fast Whitey

Fuzzy
Why did you have to have your heads rebuilt?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Might just be feeling the throw out bearing spinning on the pressure plate. The "clutch damper" that Acura installs is actually there to prevent these vibrations from being felt.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:30 PM
10th Gear

Should I be worried?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by DCLS
Should I be worried?
Well I would have to feel it before I told you not to worry but it doesn't sound like anything major. Do you notice it all the time or just when the car is cold? Is it something you think anybody would notice or do you really have to be feeling for it? If you are feeling something past the engagement point others might not notice it. I know I let the clutch out quickly once it is engaged so I would never notice.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by CBR1100XX
Fuzzy
Why did you have to have your heads rebuilt?
Long story, It was covered under warranty. Car drives fine, & the same, just have alot more NVH then before.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Pro

DCLS : I am glad you posted this because I have been experiencing the same thing for the last 1k miles or so. I have 11k now. When the clutch is being let out there is the "shudder" and then I have hit the clutch in again and rev it back up and then it comes out clean. Don't race it or anything hard on the car at all. Ive had Acura MT's for the last 10 years and this is not normal I'm thinking. Doesn't happen every time but seems to increase with the colder weather temps. Ive been hoping it was going to resolve itself. lets hear from as many more 6 speeders as possible guys . Assuming it is a "high spot" or something of that nature can this be a warranty issue ??
Old 02-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Cannot say that I've noticed it either, but like ChadT as soon as my foot feels full clutch engagement, I'm releasing the pedal quickly (or at least more fast then slow).

When I first read the post I was thinking DCLS was describing a hydraulic valving problem at the end of pedal travel...could this be a hydraulic issue as opposed to a clutch mechanical issue? Associated with cold clutch fluid? Just a thought.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro

good points but to me it feels very mechanical. When it does happen it just feels like "somethings getting caught up on something" very technical, I know like what was mentioned about the 'ridges' or high spots how does this happen and what can be done about it ??
Old 02-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Slimey
When I first read the post I was thinking DCLS was describing a hydraulic valving problem at the end of pedal travel...could this be a hydraulic issue as opposed to a clutch mechanical issue? Associated with cold clutch fluid? Just a thought.
That's what I'm thinking. I do notice that the clutch feels a little "dead" when the temp is really low. Do you guys feel this even after driving for a while or just when cold? I'll have to see if I can feel it on my way home tonight. Could just be the cold fluid being restricted by the clutch damper.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro

Chad thats what I was thinking about today because even after the car has fully warmed up and the ambient temp. is below say 45 it does seem to not shift as well as it does at warmer temps.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

6speedctrlfreak Yes I also notice when it's really cold the pedal release fairly slowly compered to when it's warm. On my drive home I tried to feel for a vibration. You can feel a vibration if you are pushing on the pedal with the clutch engaged. Seems normal to me. You really shouldn't have any pressure on the clutch pedal once it has grabbed.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:02 PM
10th Gear

I don't know guys. The temps were in the 50s today and on my drive home I still felt it. When you let the clutch out normally and then after it grabs let the rest out fast you don't feel anything. But if you let the clutch out normal to slower you get a (it's not a vibration) notchy-type feeling.

I shut the car off when I got home and tried to see if I could feel the notchiness when I let out the clutch and I couldnt. It felt completely smooth. Car on in neutral, let out the clutch, feel the notches.

Has anyone ever run the car by the dealer service area and asked for one of the techs to just check something out really quick or would it be better to make an appointment? I don't know if this issue is major or not, but it definitely just happened and it's annoying. I also don't think this is weather related since i don't recall feeling this when the temps were in the teens.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro

DCLS: When you say : "I shut the car off when I got home and tried to see if I could feel the notchiness when I let out the clutch and I couldnt. It felt completely smooth. Car on in neutral, let out the clutch, feel the notches" are you saying that just sitting still and the car in neutral you depress the clutch then release and you feel the notchiness/uneven feeling?? I have to try this tomorrow. Also did you get the car new ??
Old 02-13-2004, 05:45 PM
10th Gear

Yes. With the car off, I don't feel the notchiness when I let out the clutch. With the car on, just sitting still in neutral and I let out the clutch, I feel the notchiness.

No, I bought the car used Acura Certified about 3 months ago with 16k on the car. Ive put almost 3k on it.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Most dealers will want you to make an appointment -- if you plan ahead hopefully they'll have a loaner for you.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 AM
GEB
Racer

I would just stop by the dealer without an appointment. I've done it with my Wrangler before and my dealer was happy to spend 5 minutes with me. I would assume an Acura dealer would be happy to do the same. I tried to get a ford dealer to look at something and the service writer acted like I was really putting him out. I would expect more from Acura ... this a good opportunity to test what level of service your dealer is willing to give you. I still drive across town to have my Jeep worked on by that same dealer.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Occasional Browser

i have a shudder too.. it started with the shift in between 1st to 2nd and now it sounds like my clutch is gonna fall apart starting at 1st but i think i need a clutch replacement because my clutch isn't grabbing so well starting off anyways. my dash is squeaking as if it's not following the body of the car and i have weird squeaking noises near the back window somewhere (these noticeable squeaks are annoying.) i drive my car hard all the time and now i need new brakes soon too. 13000+ miles on the car. i'm going to get these problems fixed very soon when i find the time to spare my car and when acura has an available loaner.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Advanced

I'm a newbie cls 6speed (37k) owner and a rookie manual driver. Lets just say I did smell burning clutch off and on for the first few days. I got better after that though.
Anyway, I feel the exact faint vibration when just the weight of my foot is on the clutch pedal. When its all the way to the floor, the vibration goes away. Did smoking my clutch a few times cause this?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

DCLS : I am glad you posted this because I have been experiencing the same thing for the last 1k miles or so. I have 11k now. When the clutch is being let out there is the "shudder" and then I have hit the clutch in again and rev it back up and then it comes out clean. Don't race it or anything hard on the car at all. Ive had Acura MT's for the last 10 years and this is not normal I'm thinking. Doesn't happen every time but seems to increase with the colder weather temps. Ive been hoping it was going to resolve itself. lets hear from as many more 6 speeders as possible guys . Assuming it is a "high spot" or something of that nature can this be a warranty issue ??

well 6spdctrlfreak..it cant be eny thing with the weather because i live in ny and i have a used 2003 cl-s ..6 speed too..and i dont have evny such problemss.. i have right now 32k miles...
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
i noticed sometimes i have a slight constant vibration in my gas pedal when i press it down. what could this be?