6-speed trany question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:26 PM
GEB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed trany question

I've had my CL-S for about 3 weeks now and I'm trying to get use to the 6-speed and the clutch. I've noticed a few things that seem unusual to me and I'd like to know if any of you other 6-speeders notice the same thing.

1) When I'm up-shifting from any gear to the next, I notice that the RPM's hesitate before they go down. (ie, I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I'm at 4K as I push the clutch and get off the gas, the engine stays at the 4K for about a second before lowering to a normal idle speed).

2) I get a bump of speed when shifting into 2nd that is very noticeable. I've tried to smooth it out but unless I'm pushing the car hard, I get the bump. I've driven manual transmissions all my life and I've never had a car that engages so though in second.

3) I had a little problem with the clutch on Sunday. I was taking a right at a green light so I put it into second ... let the clutch out ... and it started slipping like crazy. It was like the pressure plate hadn't fully released the clutch. Lots of burning clutch smell! I pulled over and pumped the clutch a few times. Everything seems fine now.

The car only has 17K on it and it drives great. These are pretty small items (except for 3) but I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced similar problems/issues.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:48 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
#1I think it's programmed to hold rpms to allow for smoother shifts, (not that that is a good reason) and I don't really like it, seems to waste gas, #2, I've never noticed this on mine,# 3 seems like a problem.
Do you know how old the previous driver was and any history of use. The clutch can easily be abused with all the hp. My 6 speed has 14,000 miles and I have never experienced any slipping or burning smells. I'd have it checked and see if the previous owner ever had it checked out at the dealer.
Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Masshole

I get #1 and #2 all the time.

It is a tough clutch to get used to, compared to all the other ones I have driven, IMO.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 and 2 the same, 2 is very hard to control, since this is my first clutch I have driven for more than an hour it doesn't seem too bad. Somedays are better than others.
3, I have never experienced this personally, I did allow some retard drive my car and he did create the burning clutch sensation all because he wanted to spin the wheels...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

do people with LWFW see this problem too? I would think that would help. Is the OEM flywheel single or dual mass? I know the dual mass ones in the audi's kinda hang up there too. A LWFW made a nice diffrence.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1 & 2) It took me a little time to get used to shifting with the clutch and the way the engine holds the RPM up between shifts. You basically need to adjust your driving style when up shifting. It helps to time your up shifting with a slight delay before letting the clutch out and applying some accelerator for normal driving. When you're really on it, it's less of an issue since the RPMs are in the higher range and usually match up better with quick shifting into the next gear up.

3) For normal driving, I let the clutch out and let the car start rolling without applying any throttle. As the RPM starts to drop off too much, I'll apply a very slight amount of throttle to keep the RPM up until the clutch is fully engaged. This all takes place in a second or less. Only then will I give it more throttle to accelerate. Otherwise, the clutch will slip too much on you.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

1) I believe its a dual-mass flywheel, which is why theres that hesitation
Never had #2 or 3 sorry and good luck
Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Where is my super sauce?

The OEM flywheel is dual mass.

The RPM hanging thing (#1 above) is something built into the system. We all have it. I thought the consensus here was that it's an emission (or other engine management) thing controlled by the ECU. My understanding also is that a lot of newer manual transmission cars are doing this. I've seen people post about this same issue on the Subaru boards.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:30 AM
GEB
Racer

Thanks for all the info. I'm no longer worried about issue 1 or 2. The 3rd, well, I'll worry if it happens again. Next time I get my oil changed at Acura (4 years free oil changes!) I'll report the problem just in case it happens again.

BTW, I looked at all the service records for the car ... the guy who owned it before me happened to buy it there and had it serviced there. He's a friend of the fleet manager I was dealing with. He even called him while I was there to have him find and drop off the second remote for the doors. Great dealer so far (you really never know how good the dealer is until you have a problem). Anyway, thanks for the help. GEB
Old 02-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Pro

as stated by my 6 speeder brethern 1 & 2 are normal but regarding your #3 issue explain it more...was it a "shudder" , uneven', "staccato" like feeling and then when you clutched it again and hit the gas it resolved itself ?? if so....this has been hppening to me lately also. There is a recent thread about it on this forum...can anyone track it down?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro

Here it is : http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=130587
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is definitely a tricky clutch to drive smoothly. I get annoyed when driving with my gf because it tosses her head forward unless I REALLY let the clutch out slow, but slipping it to that point isnt good either.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Masshole

Yeah, my gf bitches all the time about it too! I'm just like, "shit, you couldn't drive this car smooth if your life depended on it." (Not like she'd ever get the chance though!)
Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 AM
GEB
Racer

Originally posted by 6speedctrlfreak
as stated by my 6 speeder brethern 1 & 2 are normal but regarding your #3 issue explain it more...was it a "shudder" , uneven', "staccato" like feeling and then when you clutched it again and hit the gas it resolved itself ?? if so....this has been hppening to me lately also. There is a recent thread about it on this forum...can anyone track it down?
No, I don't think it's the same thing. It was definetly like the clutch was stuck half in ... but just the one time ... now it's fine.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro

I like the rocking back and froth motion........
Old 02-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Drifting

ive gotten sick because of it before