6-speed trans leak found during 15k service

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed trans leak found during 15k service

Took my 6-speed in for its 15K service at Los Gatos Acura a few days ago. All went well till they told me there's a leak in the transmission. Transmission was removed and the tech showed me that trans oil was leaking all over the inside housing and if left untouched, could leak oil onto the clutch. They kept the car a couple days to run a dye test and found nothing. Dealer called the factory about it... they told dealer it was possible the trans casing was overfilled when the car was built. Dealer told me they'll monitor my car till I show up for the next service. Car drove fine when I picked it up... and get this: no more 2nd gear grittiness! Anyone with a 6-speed experience any trans leakage?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

So what happens if oil leaks into the clutch? Does it slip until it burns off or does it do permanent damage? Is there a dipstick for the MT oil?
Old 01-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must be the first member of the six-speed tranny high mileage club, considering it was only released last March.

Did you note the leak on the outside or in your driveway/garage? I wonder why they would have opened your tranny otherwise.

mt6forlife - To check a manual transmission's oil you have to remove a bolt a stick a finger inside to check the level. It's unusual for a manual transmission to burn or digest oil so it is generally only checked at major maintenance intervals by a tech. I'm not sure what happens if your clutch gets oil on it, but it probably is not a good thing.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I've got over 20K on mine and it was also purchased last March.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:22 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

mine too.....just past 21k....damn job....anyways, my guess is that it was checked at the 7500 service and someone filled it to high....the two services ive been to, no problems have been found, now at this third one, i just have to make sure they dont find all my mods ...also maybe get my rotors cut b/c of all the vibration when braking....but other than that, ive been really pleased
Old 01-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro

Originally posted by mt6forlife
So what happens if oil leaks into the clutch? Does it slip until it burns off or does it do permanent damage? Is there a dipstick for the MT oil?
The oil soaks into the clutch material, and the clutch won't slip properly (sounds stupid, doesn't it). Same thing happens with brakes. If you get oil on the pads, the wheel will lock up since the pad doesn't slip properly.

Not sure if it'll wear off over time though. I guess it depends on how much oil got onto the clutch surface.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that I'm trailing with about 8.5K miles. Of course my commute is only 6 miles and I've been flying those longer trips more so then driving.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Instructor

mt6forlife- I didn't notice any actual leakage of trans fluid on the garage floor. When the car was brought in for service, the tech showed me areas of seepage where the trans mounts to the engine block. It wasn't enough to cause fluid to drip, so to be safe, the tech removed the trans to inspect the inside. Nothing but oil residue all over the inside housing. If the oil seepage were to continue undetected, it would eventually "flood" the clutch and cause burning (of oil) and major clutch slippage. So far it's been 3 days since I picked up the car, and so far, no problems and no signs of futher leakage. And the 2nd gear engagement is still smooth. Before the 15K, it used to have that notchy/gritty feeling. Kind of strange that it hasn't come back since the trans was reinstalled.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

This is very interesting. Especially the part about second gear being smoother. I took a look at the Helms manual and discovered the fill hole is on the top of the trans. THere is a check hole on the side but if it was left in when the trans was filled at the factory it could very easily get over filled. I noticed a little oily residue on the outside of my trans while installing headers so I think I'll pull the check plug and check it out. I wonder if all this second gear notchiness could just be from too much oil in the trans.