6-Speed questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-Speed questions

Has anyone who has driven a 6-speed noticed these two characteristics:
1) To me, the clutch seems grabby and non-linear.
2) When you shift....IF you pause between shifts, with the clutch in, the engine management system holds the throttle open, and 4000rpm or so on the tach between shifts (TRY it and see). This makes the low rpm handling (think parking lot) somewhat jerky and non-linear>
OK, so flame me about being "jerky" but those of you who have actually driven the car, please give me some feedback.
A) did you notice it?
B) Do you think it was just my unit, or is it characteristic of the 6 speed CL's?

Finally, has anyone actually taken their car to a drag strip? If so PLEASE post your time and speed in the quarter (and race weight if known)

Thank You,

Garrett Waddell
Old 04-15-2002, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

I haven’t really noticed what you are saying about the clutch.
I DO notice the engagement point is fairly close to the floor and quick to engage.
THIS took some getting used to and it’s not a problem any more.

As for the throttle hanging open, I think every fuel injected MANUAL Tranny car I have driven does this.
Some are worse then others and I think they do this because of emission controls.

And I haven’t been to the track yet.

Shawn S
Old 04-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clutch seems fine to me. Had to get used to it of course.

Haven't noticed the clutch rpm thing. Will have to pay attention to it tomorrow. But i can't imagine it racing the engine to 4k though. The MR2 (EFI & stick) just drops to idle rpms with the clutch in.

Drag strip isn't for me. Not why I bought the car. I probably will get it dyno'd in a few months though.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was used to a civic clutch before I got my cl-s. I took about two weeks to get used to. I have felt the car a bit jerky at parking lot speeds but just attributed that to my lack of "feel" with the car. I will now pay attention to see if the engine actually holds RPMs during a long shift.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:58 PM
Racer

I didn't have this at all this morning. Corvette, are you saying that it will hold the rpms for like a second or 2 after you push in the clutch and pop it out of gear, and then it drops down to the idle rpm? Or will it hold it no matter how long you have the clutch in?

I've gotten used to the slow speed while moving around parking lots, have a parking garage here at work to drive in/out each day. Usually I just build up some speed and throw it in neutral and coast to next turn or stop, then throw it in second after coming out of the turn.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:39 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: 6-Speed questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corvette
[B]Has anyone who has driven a 6-speed noticed these two characteristics:
1) To me, the clutch seems grabby and non-linear.
2) When you shift....IF you pause between shifts, with the clutch in, the engine management system holds the throttle open, and 4000rpm or so on the tach between shifts (TRY it and see). This makes the low rpm handling (think parking lot) somewhat jerky and non-linear>
OK, so flame me about being "jerky" but those of you who have actually driven the car, please give me some feedback.
A) did you notice it?
B) Do you think it was just my unit, or is it characteristic of the 6 speed CL's?

Finally, has anyone actually taken their car to a drag strip? If so PLEASE post your time and speed in the quarter (and race weight if known)

Thank You,

1) Yes, it is non-linear. Especially when compared to an Eclipse or LS clutch. Both of those are very progressive. However, I wouldn't use the term "grabby". I'd use "engages positively". I've had to pull up my seat a bit more than in most cars to have better control of it but I'm used to it now.

2) Yes, I've noticed the RPMs held between shifts. I suspect that it's to keep emissions down. MTXs tend to have higher emissions due to the frequent RPM changes when shifting gears. This is the usual solution. I don't attribute any jerkiness to this.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe it has a really heavy flywheel to help keep up the RPM's? Somebody send their flywheel off for some weight reduction and see if that helps.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Instructor

As for revs not dropping as fast, the NSX does this, the RSX does this but to a lesser degree and the S2000 almost does not do it...
Old 04-16-2002, 08:22 PM
7th Gear

Thanks guys,

Thats exactly what I was looking for, FEEDBACK". I appreciate it because it gives me a basis upon which to measure my cmplaint: ie is it just ME, or do others notice it too, and is it just this car, or is it symptomatic of this combination. I think that A) it IS symptomatic, and it is caused by the engine management (probably because of emissions), and that I probably WILL get used to it.

Again, If anyone does go to the strip (great real world dyno) I would sure like you to post the results. ET is traction dependant and doesn't mean anything, but MPH aginst car race weight (and altitude!) is everything.

Thanks again.

Garrett
Old 04-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by Achance
Maybe it has a really heavy flywheel to help keep up the RPM's? Somebody send their flywheel off for some weight reduction and see if that helps.
This car has a "dual mass" flywheel as per:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...1/article.html

I don't know exactly what this is but I wonder how it affects shift quality.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Racer

ohhhh.....it like holds it there for a split second after you push in the clutch. Gotcha. Yeah it does that. Sorry, I thought you meant it held it there forever
Old 04-17-2002, 12:08 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it holds the rpm for what seems like less than a second. The clutch feels natural to me, but I drove the Legend 5-speed for 13.5 years, and there seems to be a family resemblance.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:54 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Corvette
Thanks guys,

Thats exactly what I was looking for, FEEDBACK". I appreciate it because it gives me a basis upon which to measure my cmplaint: ie is it just ME, or do others notice it too, and is it just this car, or is it symptomatic of this combination. I think that A) it IS symptomatic, and it is caused by the engine management (probably because of emissions), and that I probably WILL get used to it.

Thanks again.

Garrett

You MUST be new to the board!!! If it is FEEDBACK you want, you came to the RIGHT place!!!!!!! These people won't shut up!!!! If you have a decent question, you will usually get a GOOD response. Usually really quick too!!! CONGRATS on your new purchase!!! WELCOME to the board!!!!!! I hope that you keep up with the board and post some of your experiences with your new 6 speed!!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by codehead
The clutch feels natural to me, but I drove the Legend 5-speed for 13.5 years, and there seems to be a family resemblance.
YES.....My 91 Legend Coupe 5-Speed did the same thing.

Shawn S
Old 04-17-2002, 08:27 PM
7th Gear

Well guys, again I thank you. I have several cars, and belong to several different boards. There are some people who have legitimate problems, post, get responses, but forget to post the results. This board works best when there is good feedback, so I'm really pleased to see you have it here.

By the way Aztec, How much did the springs and shocks cost, where did you buy yhem, and did you install them yourself, or if not, how much for the install? Your car looks great lowered.

Garrett Waddell
Old 04-19-2002, 07:10 PM
im back

i haven't noticed it being like jerky but i do notice the engine take a while to rev down, however, when i push the clutch to the floor and power shift, every once in a while i get a grinding noise and its pissing me off, does anyone else have that??
Old 04-20-2002, 01:15 PM
7th Gear

My opinion, for what its worth, is that you do NOT power shift. Definition, shifting without lifting off the gas. It's bad for the synchros, and will eventually result in a damaged or failed transmission. I lift slightly while racing. These are not drag racers.
If you want to power shift, get a mustang.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:15 PM
East Coast Boost.!

RPM

I just got my 2003 and you're right. The rpm does stay around 4000 for about a sec or 2 after you hit the clutch to shift. It's kinda strange, but gotta live with it.