The 6 speed Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 08:32 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6 speed Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Ok, there's been a lot of questions about the LSD in the 6 speed, and from my understanding, it's the same technology developed for the '97 Prelude (which came from Indy racing). Can somebody verify that we have the Prelude diff?

Here's a link:
http://www.purehonda.com/preludemt.html

That explains it really well. To summarize:

The Prelude LSD is meant to prevent understeer when cornering (remember how in the auto version of the CL, when accelerating into a corner, just keeps going straight, and doesn't turn -- that's massive understeer).

The Prelude LSD would check steering wheel angles, speed, wheel slip, etc, and transfer power to the outside wheel of a turn. That would make it spin faster, and prevent the understeer (by escentially steering by different tire velocities). Cool idea!

The big question is: Does the CL have this LSD? I've went into corners, and let off the gas or kiss the curb came to mind......

I know older 1/2 ton trucks used to have the "give power to the wheel with the most traction" type differential, which didn't really power both wheels when they started to slip.

I guess the thing is, we need a test subject to rev up a 6 speed, dump the clutch, and tell us what the rubber looks like. If it's like the old truck diff, then you'll see alternating tire marks from the L and R sides. If she locks up to give power to both wheels, you'll see a pair of rubber marks.

Any takers?
Old 09-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
IIRC, what you are describing is the Prelude's more advanced ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) which the CL-S 6MT does not have.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by IntegraVT
IIRC, what you are describing is the Prelude's more advanced ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) which the CL-S 6MT does not have.
Ok, that's what I was wondering. Too bad. It sounds like a really sweet setup. From my experience with the 6 speed, I guessed that it didn't have it....
Old 09-16-2002, 09:04 AM
Pro

Did anyone see Popular Hot Rodding TV this weekend? They had a piece on LSD's, the different types, and how they work.

They had 4 different types, I remembered the 3 main ones!

1) There's a diff. with clutchpacks that link the L and R axles together when slippage is felt. GM was the first to market in under the name "posi-traction". You'll find that in the differentials of trucks, Mustangs, Vette's etc. Plant the gas and you get the twin patches of rubber down the street. When it kicks in, you can here a bang as the clutches hook up.

2) Ratchet type. It's got metal teeth that interlock to hook both sides together. My friend's '94 T/A had this type. You could hear him take a corner a block away, because of the ratcheting noise. Great for straight line power, since it's a solid mechanical connection between both wheels, but sucks on the corners (because of the noise).

3) Cone type. Uses cones with mating recepticles. When slippage occurs, the cones grip via friction to route power to the other wheel. Great since if the LSD packs up, it's basically just a diff. It's quieter.

I think the 6 speed has variant of #3. It would allow one wheel to spin faster than the other, since it's not locked straight through. This is great for control when cornering, but doesn't supply the same traction to both wheels as #1 or #2.

If anyone knows the true design of the 6 speed LSD I'd love to hear about it. I've read that it's the latest version of the diff. found in the '97 Prelude, but that doens't help a whole lot!

Old 09-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
www.quaifeusa.com
it is a helical gear LSD and it uses sun gears as different loads are placed on it different amounts of power are distributed between both drive wheels....and to my understanding the exact same way the HLSD on the prelude works i.e. type SH type S as in sport like the cl-S and H as in helical gear
Old 09-16-2002, 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is some information which might help:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/section_11...cars/info.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm
Old 09-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

after what happen to civic4982

freakin acura should have given the cl-s six speed a type SH badge

this car can not handle the windy roads at all

sidemarker
Old 09-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by sidemarker
this car can not handle the windy roads at all

sidemarker
NOT TRUE

I have pushed my car HARD on the “twisty’s” many times and have yet to swap ends.
He pushed the car beyond its limits on STOCK tires & suspension and that’s why the wreck happened.

Blame the DRIVER, not the car.

Shawn S
Old 09-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
NOT TRUE

I have pushed my car HARD on the “twisty’s” many times and have yet to swap ends.
He pushed the car beyond its limits on STOCK tires & suspension and that’s why the wreck happened.

Blame the DRIVER, not the car.

Shawn S

I agree...I had stock set up and it wasnt all that great...after springs sways and tires is a totaly different car. I am sorry for what happened to his car but if you push any car past its limits, it will give out on you....reguardless of its setup. You should know what it can do before you try it. Just my 2cents.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by scalbert
Here is some information which might help:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/section_11...cars/info.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm
Thanks! That's the info I wanted.