5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.

O.K. here's the update. The car is back with the Supercharger and the Big Brake Kit installed. WOW !!!!!!!!!!! I'm very happy First off, the car sounds pretty much the same at idle and low revs in D5, but as soon as you punch it welcome Mr. Supercharger !!! The whine is intoxicating and i'm gonna go there as much as possible, good thing gas prices are coming down a little I picked up Hammerman and we took a little run that involved stop sign to stop sign driving, maybe he'll post later, his shorts are still drying We had a blast, literally. The car feels much better at low rpms, and WOW what a kick over 60 mph !!! and that sound, yeehaaaa. I can't wait to get on the freeway and let loose. So not bad for the first day back, i'll drive it and get used to it and see what surprises there are. Although i feel more power in the wheel and the gas pedal, torque steer was not a problem even with VSA off. I think Comptech did a nice job, it fits in perfectly and has just enough power without being dangerous or ruining the day in and day out driving feel. The car feels normal until you punch it. As for the brakes, they look awesome and feel good. I really didn't stress them too much even though with the ceramic pads no break in is necessary. I did have 2 brand new Toyos installed on the front so i didn't quite push it as hard as i could have, they do need 100 miles or so break in. Anyway that's it for now, i'm excited as you can tell, i love this car even more now By the way, yes it has a tranny cooler, came with the kit, my mechanic said it lowers the temp about 50-60 degrees. Also, i'll post pics as soon as i can.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
CCOOOLLL!!! Congrats man!!! When are you going to the track and/or dyno?
Old 04-12-2003, 01:41 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

You are happy... but let us see dyno graphs and some 0.25 miles runs slips... with some 35 WHP more all accross... i.e. some 260 WHP and some 225 lbft of torque, I expect some 14s flat at 100+ MPH.

If it does not do 14s flat... it is not worth it!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:41 AM
///M POWER

bad ass man, when did the blower for the auto get realesed, i believe ur the first to have it!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:42 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn... everyone and their momma is getting a supercharger, except me... lol PICS PLEASE!@!

Your brake kit must be sweet tell us how good the stopping power is once you give it a go
Old 04-12-2003, 01:43 AM
East Coast Boost.!

That's crazy, post pics.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

3.5L pack for the Auto is not that bad after all.. it could be tuned by having optimized Compression ratio.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Mike
CCOOOLLL!!! Congrats man!!! When are you going to the track and/or dyno?
Thanks Mike. Dyno as soon as possible. I'd like to get to the track before it gets way hot here in Sacramento.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by darrinb
bad ass man, when did the blower for the auto get realesed, i believe ur the first to have it!!!
Thanks. It's been available for about a week, there is another thread on an install with pics.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:55 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
You are happy... but let us see dyno graphs and some 0.25 miles runs slips... with some 35 WHP more all accross... i.e. some 260 WHP and some 225 lbft of torque, I expect some 14s flat at 100+ MPH.

I hope to be in the 13s Just gotta get the launch down, there was some wheel hop that i haven't had before. By the way, im going with 270 + on H.P.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
damn... everyone and their momma is getting a supercharger, except me... lol PICS PLEASE!@!

Your brake kit must be sweet tell us how good the stopping power is once you give it a go
13 inch rotors, 4 piston calipers, ceramic race pads. Can't wait to run a track day
Old 04-12-2003, 02:05 AM
?!?

you know what i have to do
Old 04-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by nokio
you know what i have to do
I know There's another post with pics, i'll get mine up shortly.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

i'm sure it will be in the 13's.

it had better be
Old 04-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Drifting

See you at the meet Glenn .
Old 04-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

what about the tranny? did you install a tranny cooler as well??

and what was the total cost of the s/c and install??

sidemarker
Old 04-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Re: 5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.

Originally posted by Red Rider
O.K. here's the update. The car is back with the Supercharger and the Big Brake Kit installed. WOW !!!!!!!!!!! I'm very happy First off, the car sounds pretty much the same at idle and low revs in D5, but as soon as you punch it welcome Mr. Supercharger !!! The whine is intoxicating and i'm gonna go there as much as possible, good thing gas prices are coming down a little I picked up Hammerman and we took a little run that involved stop sign to stop sign driving, maybe he'll post later, his shorts are still drying We had a blast, literally. The car feels much better at low rpms, and WOW what a kick over 60 mph !!! and that sound, yeehaaaa. I can't wait to get on the freeway and let loose. So not bad for the first day back, i'll drive it and get used to it and see what surprises there are. Although i feel more power in the wheel and the gas pedal, torque steer was not a problem even with VSA off. I think Comptech did a nice job, it fits in perfectly and has just enough power without being dangerous or ruining the day in and day out driving feel. The car feels normal until you punch it. As for the brakes, they look awesome and feel good. I really didn't stress them too much even though with the ceramic pads no break in is necessary. I did have 2 brand new Toyos installed on the front so i didn't quite push it as hard as i could have, they do need 100 miles or so break in. Anyway that's it for now, i'm excited as you can tell, i love this car even more now By the way, yes it has a tranny cooler, came with the kit, my mechanic said it lowers the temp about 50-60 degrees. Also, i'll post pics as soon as i can.
TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Geeesh red.... way to go... You said you would be one of the first to jump all over the Auto S/C.... did you slap that Supercharged by Comptech sticker on the ass end of the whip?..LOL
Old 04-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Certified Lurker

Cool, ive rode in types1967's supercharged 6 speed and the thing is out of control, im jsut dont know if it is worth it for only 35 hp, but i guess ill wait and see a dyno/track times to prove it. Congrats though!
Old 04-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Old timer

Awesome. How does the SC for the auto differ from the 6speed besides the trans cooler? Is it reduced in power?
Old 04-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by mattg
i'm sure it will be in the 13's.

it had better be
I'm sure if i didn't get it into the 13s, you would
Old 04-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by sidemarker
what about the tranny? did you install a tranny cooler as well??

and what was the total cost of the s/c and install??

sidemarker
Yes i did, i wouldn't have installed it without. It reduces the temp about 60 degrees according to the Tech who did the install. It's actually cooler with the SC and cooler than stock. With install close to 5K.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: 5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.

Originally posted by torqueaholic
TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lifes a crapshoot !! I'm goin for it. My dealer has me covered, that's why i've done all my work and installs there. I also think that Comptech kept the output lower than they could have to preserve the tranny and driveability.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Smitty
Geeesh red.... way to go... You said you would be one of the first to jump all over the Auto S/C.... did you slap that Supercharged by Comptech sticker on the ass end of the whip?..LOL
I haven't gotten the stickers on yet, that will be good for an extra 10 H.P. I did put on the " Race Proven by Comptech " license plate frame though, removing my AEM frame, bye bye intake
Old 04-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Collective27
Cool, ive rode in types1967's supercharged 6 speed and the thing is out of control, im jsut dont know if it is worth it for only 35 hp, but i guess ill wait and see a dyno/track times to prove it. Congrats though!
It's at least 35 and maybe over 40 and that's through the whole rev range. I understand that there will be a piggy back for the ECU that will get the extra H.P. they wanted. I don't think they wanted to hold up the project any longer.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by JRock
Awesome. How does the SC for the auto differ from the 6speed besides the trans cooler? Is it reduced in power?
The 6 speed is getting 55+ to the wheels, the auto is probably 40+. I'll take it
Old 04-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: 5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.

Originally posted by torqueaholic
TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aren't you are crying OLD NEWS here

you think neither Red Rider or MtBikR have heard of the trannys going out on auto CL-S before Do you hang 'round the M3 forums and remind them of the engine blows as well? It gets old man, we’ve all heard it. Frankly I have started to think less and less about my auto…. Life goes on man
Old 04-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes i did, i wouldn't have installed it without. It reduces the temp about 60 degrees according to the Tech who did the install. It's actually cooler with the SC and cooler than stock. With install close to 5K.
not bad price for everything install. does that also include the new battery and did you use the comptech tranny cooler???

did you change out your spark plugs too??

sidemarker
Old 04-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

can you zaino the SC?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Red Rider, It's great to here things are going well with your new blower! The big brown truck should be here next week, (right Dean?), with the next SC kit that I will be installing on my 03 TL-S. I've been pushing to get the upgrade pulley because 93 octane is the norm here and I have a wideband o2 meter to keep a close eye on the a/f ratio.

I've been told the blower is not de-tuned for the auto trans, but rather because of lean conditions at the top end. The lean conditions can be solved with larger injectors, and a rising-rate fuel regulator. The hold up is they are working on a controller to pull timing out at high boost . The boost upgrade, when available, will bring us another 20+hp.

Have fun boosting, but watch out for the law.

And yes, the tranny chiller comes with the kit.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

nate'sCLS: I agree with you. I don't worry about my tranny. If it goes it was meant to go, hopefully it won't be problematic. Thankfully, those who have had to deal with tranny failure haven't had any major accidents, so on the whole, the probabilty makes it almost insignificant to worry about versus some other things on my mind (not even car related). I don't worry about my car, I enjoy it. It is there for me and is the way it is because of me. Our personalities show through just as much in what we do to our cars, as it does in the comments. that we post. Anyway, my car is a release for stress and the pressures of everyday on-goings. I try to make it a source of joy and not one of negative thoughts, only enjoyment!

Redrider: I'd be happy to compare thoughts on the blower. I agree you got a good price, With some addtions like oil changes and brake pads installed I ran high near 5 and a half. Maybe I should have come to cali It does feel like driving technique even on an auto has a lot to do with squeezing the best performance out of it. It's not that the blower is any different and that the auto is "that" inefficent, it has to do with the leaness of the fuel at certain points that the auto ecu treats differently than the 6 spd, that's not allowing them to derive the desired gains, I should say it should put out around 50 without a pulley swap after the piggy back because the manual is around 60whp at max

sidemarker: the kit came with denso IK22s and the techs didn't swap them out. I had just recently replaced my old densos with new ones IK20s. Now am I correct in stating that the 20's are colder than the 22's? and If so am I correct in running the IK20s that are currently in the car? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2003, 12:46 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by sidemarker
not bad price for everything install. does that also include the new battery and did you use the comptech tranny cooler???

did you change out your spark plugs too??

sidemarker
The tranny cooler came with the kit from Dean for $3995. The battery was $70, and the install was close to 1K. No on the plugs. I did get new tranny fluid though.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by ModAddict
Red Rider, It's great to here things are going well with your new blower! The big brown truck should be here next week, (right Dean?), with the next SC kit that I will be installing on my 03 TL-S. I've been pushing to get the upgrade pulley because 93 octane is the norm here and I have a wideband o2 meter to keep a close eye on the a/f ratio.

I've been told the blower is not de-tuned for the auto trans, but rather because of lean conditions at the top end. The lean conditions can be solved with larger injectors, and a rising-rate fuel regulator. The hold up is they are working on a controller to pull timing out at high boost . The boost upgrade, when available, will bring us another 20+hp.

Have fun boosting, but watch out for the law.

And yes, the tranny chiller comes with the kit.
Mod, thanks for the info, i've heard the same things about upgrades. So it's good to get the extra power from the SC now, and down the road there could be more Glad to see you'll be getting yours soon, first TL that i'm aware of. Good luck and post your impressions when you install.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by MtBikR
nate'sCLS: I agree with you. I don't worry about my tranny. If it goes it was meant to go, hopefully it won't be problematic. Thankfully, those who have had to deal with tranny failure haven't had any major accidents, so on the whole, the probabilty makes it almost insignificant to worry about versus some other things on my mind (not even car related). I don't worry about my car, I enjoy it. It is there for me and is the way it is because of me. Our personalities show through just as much in what we do to our cars, as it does in the comments. that we post. Anyway, my car is a release for stress and the pressures of everyday on-goings. I try to make it a source of joy and not one of negative thoughts, only enjoyment!

Redrider: I'd be happy to compare thoughts on the blower. I agree you got a good price, With some addtions like oil changes and brake pads installed I ran high near 5 and a half. Maybe I should have come to cali It does feel like driving technique even on an auto has a lot to do with squeezing the best performance out of it. It's not that the blower is any different and that the auto is "that" inefficent, it has to do with the leaness of the fuel at certain points that the auto ecu treats differently than the 6 spd, that's not allowing them to derive the desired gains, I should say it should put out around 50 without a pulley swap after the piggy back because the manual is around 60whp at max

sidemarker: the kit came with denso IK22s and the techs didn't swap them out. I had just recently replaced my old densos with new ones IK20s. Now am I correct in stating that the 20's are colder than the 22's? and If so am I correct in running the IK20s that are currently in the car? Thanks!
I agree with your earlier comment about using the manual mode. The car felt better in that mode, fortunately that's what i use 90% of the time anyway.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Subie Dubie

Just curious, besides MtBikr who else has one installed or on order ?
Old 04-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

you say the dealership has you covered, did they do the install? what dealership is this that has you covered?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine was installed at Scottsdale Acura in AZ. They ordered, installed, and warrenty it. RedRider got his done in CA, which would probaly be of more use to you
Old 04-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Congrats RedRider,I know your havin fun!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just curious, besides MtBikr who else has one installed or on order ?
Supposed to ship this Tuesday for my 03 TL-S.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by JakeCL
you say the dealership has you covered, did they do the install? what dealership is this that has you covered?
Jake, i had it done at Niello. I bought the car there and my wifes MDX also. All service and mods have been done by them.

Quick Reply: 5AT SC and Rotora Big Brake Kit Installed, driving impressions.