3.5L Conversion with 0.25OS 05RL Pistons Finally Complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Never had a clean run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, opened it up last night just through the gears and didn't hold it for long just to be safe and yes it definitely is NOT at the top end of my estimate. But it could very well be at the bottom end of it. My guess is that with my mods, I gained about 40+HP. More of the power seems to reside in the low end torque. Low RPMs and even 4th gear pulls a lot harder. So I guess the HP numbers won't blow people away but the TQ should be a little more impressive.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU are my HERO!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro

Sounds
So, what was the setup? Same as 02AV6?
RL pistons, Type S block, Odyssey or MDX internals?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by av6ent
Sounds
So, what was the setup? Same as 02AV6?
RL pistons, Type S block, Odyssey or MDX internals?
Pretty much except for that of course the obvious one is he has an entirely different fuel management system (which is currently causing him WOT issues), he has a SC, mine has the 0.25 over bore and 0.25 oversized RL pistons and I also threw on my UR underdrive crank pulley and got it balanced with that on to create a smoother running engine (which he may have done?).
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Let us know the dyno numbers!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:38 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by All Mine
I can't wait to see to dee some dyno numbers. Ayougo got some nice stock numbers. What size turbo are you going with?
ive gone through a couple and found the best one. I chose the GT28 71R
Old 11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

hey just in case you didn't know, over bore does NOT change compression! By the way, what kind of downpipe do you have, or did you paint the Comptech one with that wierd gray color.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:21 PM
That's Racist

Does doing the 3.2-3.5 swap also include a new transmission?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

But anyway nice upgrade
Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

no
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Does doing the 3.2-3.5 swap also include a new transmission?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rtatsutani
Pretty much except for that of course the obvious one is he has an entirely different fuel management system (which is currently causing him WOT issues), he has a SC, mine has the 0.25 over bore and 0.25 oversized RL pistons and I also threw on my UR underdrive crank pulley and got it balanced with that on to create a smoother running engine (which he may have done?).
I was asking about short block . OK so, just .25 oversized pistons difference.
And he has NO WOT issues and running on stock crank pulley.

Curious how much you dyno NA
Old 11-02-2005, 06:57 PM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by typeR
im going on 2 years with this stock trannny
I was never more disapointed with mine....Thus a new 6sp(no auto!!)
GTO 400/400.

Congrats rtatsutani on your conversion and....
for living in Hawaii...nice
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
time for a turbo with that 3.5 swap

time for a turbo with that swap now from allmotor? could it been done? seems to me like that would be a lot under the hood....
Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by zenkaij32
hey just in case you didn't know, over bore does NOT change compression! By the way, what kind of downpipe do you have, or did you paint the Comptech one with that wierd gray color.
That is untrue. The equation to derive Compression Ratio includes Bore, stroke, combustion chamber and the volume equation. It may be slightly negligible b/c the bore is only .25 but it still adds to the displacement and compression.

And where'd you see the pic of my comptech downpipe? Real life? Anyhow, it was cleaned I think using some kind of acid dip and sand blasting.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by av6ent
I was asking about short block . OK so, just .25 oversized pistons difference.
And he has NO WOT issues and running on stock crank pulley.

Curious how much you dyno NA
Really? So he got everything to run smoothly? Was it just his EU giving him WOT issues?

And only 500 more mi. to go.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

So you mean to tell me that the overbore piston that you got from Acura for the 05 RL that was meant to take up slack in older motors or after machine work will raise the compression in an 05 RL? I dont think so! In any case factory pistons add the over bore just slightly below deck level to compensate for the extra material they added on the sides. So regaurdless of your over bore you DO NOT make higher compression than anyone else with 05 RL pistons. In any case all you did was take up the slack that you created when boring out the sleeves.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

I know you can't wait until those 500 miles are completed.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Never had a clean run

So you mean to tell me that the overbore piston that you got from Acura for the 05 RL that was meant to take up slack in older motors or after machine work will raise the compression in an 05 RL? I dont think so! In any case factory pistons add the over bore just slightly below deck level to compensate for the extra material they added on the sides. So regaurdless of your over bore you DO NOT make higher compression than anyone else with 05 RL pistons. In any case all you did was take up the slack that you created when boring out the sleeves.
Oh shit, good point, totally overlooked that. Assumption of bore in CR equation increasing CR = Increasing bore also increases the combustion chamber which would negate the increase in CR. Smart man
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
What ever your last dyno run was NA, I'm going to assume you got around 10-15 more whp but a good amount of more torque, especially in the low end.

I'm predicting I'll only see around 250whp (i like to under estimate so I dont get my hopes up) with my J35 swap. The only advantage I would have would be the fact that I'm swapping in the 6spd tranny, therefore I should have slightly more hp coming to the wheels with the smaller percentage of drivetrain lose. My car has been in the shop for a good while though, because they've been busy with the SEMA cars.

Goodluck with your dyno...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by Cocoa
What ever your last dyno run was NA, I'm going to assume you got around 10-15 more whp but a good amount of more torque, especially in the low end.

I'm predicting I'll only see around 250whp (i like to under estimate so I dont get my hopes up) with my J35 swap. The only advantage I would have would be the fact that I'm swapping in the 6spd tranny, therefore I should have slightly more hp coming to the wheels with the smaller percentage of drivetrain lose. My car has been in the shop for a good while though, because they've been busy with the SEMA cars.

Goodluck with your dyno...
Tranny swap? Geesh, and I thought the 3.5 conversion was a tough one. If you don't mind me asking, how much is that swap gonna cost you? That involves a ton of custom work if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Mistake again. A J series tranny will bolt up to a J series block. The only thing that may need to be modified would be the hole in your floor for the cables to go through. Just have to buy the linkage, shifter, cables, tranny, gauge cluster (so you dont have those stupid letters anymore. on top of that you get LSD. Just send the car back to WMR they'll hook it up!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Never had a clean run

Mistake again. A J series tranny will bolt up to a J series block. The only thing that may need to be modified would be the hole in your floor for the cables to go through. Just have to buy the linkage, shifter, cables, tranny, gauge cluster (so you dont have those stupid letters anymore. on top of that you get LSD. Just send the car back to WMR they'll hook it up!
Ooooh. Man, you work for WMR? Haha, puttin in this plug! Wow, that's a definite maybe! Damn, gotta to find a wrecked CL and take the trans from the junk yard and have WMR take a look and give me an estimate. Unfortunately my pockets are completely empty now so maybe sometime next year.

So you're saying it should be cheaper than the 3.5L swap??? I hope so Maybe I could get it earlier than I thought.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. The ECU is different as is the subframe, axles, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and pedal mounts (there are not holes to bolt up a clutch pedal) on the 6MT CL-S. It's a lot more than just bolting up the transmission and changing a few interior pieces.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

It's not impossible (although to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been done, at least no one here has done it) but the 3.5L swap is a walk in the park in comparison.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I'm sorry but you are mistaken. The ECU is different as is the subframe, axles, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and pedal mounts (there are not holes to bolt up a clutch pedal) on the 6MT CL-S. It's a lot more than just bolting up the transmission and changing a few interior pieces.

If this is the case, then no 6spd for me.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

All the little things would really be a bitch. Things like how the cruise control is connected to the clutch. Different sized tach, etc etc.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
the axels are the same on the 6mt, the motor mounts arent that different the manifolds are the same,however inside the car i think things get tougher...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
B A N N E D

the axels are the same on the 6mt, the motor mounts arent that different the manifolds are the same,however inside the car i think things get tougher...
a 6spd conversion is alot harder than most assume. Each car was desighned for its particular tranny. Swapping transmisions that are similar but completely different for the car is a tough task. The chassis,pedals, connectors, everything !!, is different. Its a dawnting task and if it is to be done sucessfuly, alot of time, and research is required for a succesfull swap. This is no Honda civic auto to manual, its a completely different ball game when your dealing with precision engineering and different chassis structure. Although difficult, id say the swap is a plausably achievable.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

I thought the axels were different. Hmmm. I know he would need different manifolds. His headers won't fit on the 6MT cars.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Never had a clean run

Nuff said. Headers which i just chromed, intake if no spacer, mounts which I just bought, blah blah blah, gonna cost way too much. The guys at the shop said there's a place here in hawaii who does trans and TC mods. Gonna see what they can do for me and for what price. Nobody got any info on Dr. Evil? Anyone use him?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Racer

Nuff said. Headers which i just chromed, intake if no spacer, mounts which I just bought, blah blah blah, gonna cost way too much. The guys at the shop said there's a place here in hawaii who does trans and TC mods. Gonna see what they can do for me and for what price. Nobody got any info on Dr. Evil? Anyone use him?
Honestly if you love spending this much money I would suggest you get a mid 90's japanese turbo vehicle and modify it. I would suggest a 3rd gen supra or 2nd gen MR2 for this task. Its very easy to get these things into the 12's and 11's with the money your putting in the CL. The CL is a great car but its no sports car, sorry to burst your bubble, I just feel your wasting your money dude.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by peakpowermotoring
Honestly if you love spending this much money I would suggest you get a mid 90's japanese turbo vehicle and modify it. I would suggest a 3rd gen supra or 2nd gen MR2 for this task. Its very easy to get these things into the 12's and 11's with the money your putting in the CL. The CL is a great car but its no sports car, sorry to burst your bubble, I just feel your wasting your money dude.
Nothing wrong with being original and thinking outside of the box. It's not about just going fast like anyone can do with a supra, 240 or MR2, it all about originality and having the best of both worlds including a relatively rare luxury vehicle and decent performance. Isn't this why most of us are modding our cars? Most of the people in this forum know this car is a money pit but we still do it, just to our own abilities.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I thought the axels were different. Hmmm. I know he would need different manifolds. His headers won't fit on the 6MT cars.
i think the manifolds are the same there's just clearance issues when switching to headers and the issue is the priamry rear motor mount
Old 11-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Sorry but you are mistaken. You are right about the ECU though. But everything else subframe, axles, motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds are the same. As for the pedals you just unbolt the brake pedal from the car(auto trans) and bolt in the pedal assembly (manual trans; brake pedal, clutch pedal) run lines, pedal situation solved. Who wants cruise control anyways. Especially not rtatsutani, being from Honolulu. In any case the cruise control is electronic, so get the pinout and make it work. Of coruse everything that im saying is easier said then done but this is the process you would go through. As for the interior he just has to get the shift linkage, shifter box, trim panel and shift boot, and possibly modify the hole a little for the cables.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Nothing wrong with being original and thinking outside of the box. It's not about just going fast like anyone can do with a supra, 240 or MR2, it all about originality and having the best of both worlds including a relatively rare luxury vehicle and decent performance. Isn't this why most of us are modding our cars? Most of the people in this forum know this car is a money pit but we still do it, just to our own abilities.
Very well put. Congratulations on the 3.5 swap. Lets see some dynos. Did you call BSM?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Racer

Sorry but eventually you'll get to the point where you spent more on the mods than you did on buying the car. Trust me I speak from experience. Good luck with your car dude.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Never had a clean run

Originally Posted by peakpowermotoring
Sorry but eventually you'll get to the point where you spent more on the mods than you did on buying the car. Trust me I speak from experience. Good luck with your car dude.
Haha, alright, I'll try to make sure I stop myself from sliding down that slipery hill.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Never had a clean run

Very well put. Congratulations on the 3.5 swap. Lets see some dynos. Did you call BSM?
Not yet, still got 450 more to go. Actually I'll call them to see how they price their dyno runs and when they're avail.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a dyno run with 4 baselines for $45. IT was advertised asa 3 but I wasnted to do at least one run in 2nd and at least 1 in 3rd, so he let me do 2 in each to verify continuity. WAs a cool guy, and I'll be going back there to tune all my stuff when I get it on
Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Haha, alright, I'll try to make sure I stop myself from sliding down that slipery hill.
Be very careful as that slope is extra slippery.......

If I had put the same amount $$$ in the GTO that I put in my TL I would have a 9-10 sec car.

Quick Reply: 3.5L Conversion with 0.25OS 05RL Pistons Finally Complete