3.5 races on the way to Ohare Airport

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
3.5 races on the way to Ohare Airport

On the way to the airport today and interestingly enough, three (and a half) folks wanted to race. The airport is about 45 min from my home/office and today it took 32 min to give you an idea of the increased overall speed to get there.

Off of I55 and on to I294 and I see this Bonneville SSE coming on my like crazy (behind me). I know he wants to play. We are approaching the toll and at that point I notice that an IS300 is next to me. The SSE is so in a hurry he is doing a crazy maneuver in traffic while everyone is braking for the toll and he finds himself in front of me.

Time to pay the toll and the SSE and the IS find themselves paying at about the same time. I am behind the SSE and paying with iPAss. Gate is open so no need to stop.

The SSE floors it! I can hear his tires screaming loudly. The IS was not expecting it so he is left behind, though I am flooring it. By the time I get to the upper rpm in 1st the SSE brakes due to traffic ahead.

These sort bursts of power continue with the SSE while I am constantly behind him. Due to traffic we never really had a good chance for a clean race on 294. It was evident though that I could take him only if above 5K rpm on my tack. I have driven the SSE’s engine on other cars as rentals and once again it’s proved that GM pushrods are truly great on the highway and at low and mid rpm. Overall I was surprised at how quick that thing was.

The SSE is left behind after I redlined 3rd (around 113mph) once on him. Maybe he thought I am crazy, maybe otherwise, but he is not racing any more.

Approaching the second toll 5 min later and the IS300 shows up out of nowhere doing significantly more than I was at the time (about 80mph).

So we find a place where we can go at it as the lanes increase for the toll. Once he realizes I am behind him and while in 3rd and doing about 90 he floors it and I do too. I redlined 3rd and we were dead even! In accelerating that is. Meaning I was always behind him though I never pulled on him. I went to 4rth only for 3-4 seconds and expectedly I started falling behind. Plus it was time to start braking due to toll traffic ahead.

I was surprised at that. I am assuming the IS was a 5 speed MT. Though even with the MT IS, I was expecting to slightly be pulling on him at the top of my third. He was alone in the car, I was too, I had about 50-60 pounds worth of luggage in the trunk, the fuel tank was a little above half way and it was 39 degrees outside.

I remember noticing the IS’ calipers being red when I first saw the car 20 min ago. Not sure if that says anything.

We are approaching the toll and at the last minute he takes the non-iPass lane and I stay on the iPass lane. I am going relatively slow to kinda wait for him to catch up with me and in the process I find myself cutting off a 2 door late model Accord. He gets pissed at me and cuts me off next. Fair. Then I see him accelerate all the way to 90mph and staying there. I want to wait for the IS, though this 4 cylinder (assuming from the single exhaust tip) Accord, I can teach a lesson.

The IS is nowhere to be found. So I am thinking, OK I will go for this Accord. The Accord never accelerated fully, though at some point he was doing 100 mph. My ideal mph range to race on the highway is 80mph to redlining third at 113mph or so. I am sure all of you with auto cars feel the same way. I mean there is no other spot to race on highway speeds with this car. Second redlines at 70mph and 4rth is useless. So…that’s all we’re left with.

For that reason, I want to wait for some traffic so the Accord slows down and then he’ll see how much slower he is. Actually “she” is. I later realized it’s a she. I also later realized that she is still pissed at me due to the “cut off”. It was really not intentional; I hate doing that to people.

My chance comes along and we are doing 75mph and have an opening. While coming close behind her, she stomps on the brakes! Dump b!tch! I fly by her while waving and I see her being animated in the car, hand gestures, etc. Sorry but, no road rage for me. I will race to crazy speeds and avoid doing it in traffic, but no way I will mix racing and road rage on the road. Even when I lose I am happy to lose, I know exactly what my car can do and assuming all others are stock, I know just about what to expect from others as well.

Five minutes later and IS shows up again out of nowhere 2 lanes over doing a million miles per hour! OK. This time, what I want to do is have him behind me, go down to 60mph in 2nd and start racing from there, till redlining 3rd. Tried it three times with him, he did not get it. Every time I slowed down (and he was on my tail each time), I could see him on my mirror, he was looking to change lanes. He wanted to find an opening to pass me. Though no can do…due to traffic. Well stay there guy. Race while behind me. If I walk on you, fine, if you stay on my tail then we are either par or you’re quicker. We don’t have 2 lanes available. Tried it three times as I said. At that point, my exit off of 294 for the airport came up (I think 194?) so I had to go. He continued straight.

Last toll before the airport and for the first time ever, I spot a CL. I have never seen a CL which was not a Type S on the road ever! Many TL cars though no CL cars. It was exactly my color too (black). And what do you know…he is actually racing. And you know we are in an “S” situation, so I find myself racing a CL in the twisties! I noticed more how my car floats at the limit than how much faster I was as compared to him. The straights come and he is flooring it. We are in second. It was evident that my car was significantly faster above 4K rpm. So that’s it. That was way more than enough for one day.

Well…it got a little more interesting in the end. I park in the outside Ohare Parking lot and what do I see while picking up my bags from the trunk? The SSE which I raced comes and parks kitty corner of me! I look at him, he looks at me, and we start walking towards the terminal. Then I thought I lost him, later he is exactly behind me in the security line! Small world.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
cliff notes?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 3.5 races on the way to Ohare Airport

Originally posted by gavriil

Approaching the second toll 5 min later and the IS300 shows up out of nowhere doing significantly more than I was at the time (about 80mph).

So we find a place where we can go at it as the lanes increase for the toll. Once he realizes I am behind him and while in 3rd and doing about 90 he floors it and I do too. I redlined 3rd and we were dead even! In accelerating that is. Meaning I was always behind him though I never pulled on him. I went to 4rth only for 3-4 seconds and expectedly I started falling behind. Plus it was time to start braking due to toll traffic ahead.

You made a mistake by going from 90 no power if left in D5. You should have either dropped it into 3rd or went at it from 80. If you did you would have walked away easily.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: 3.5 races on the way to Ohare Airport

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
You made a mistake by going from 90 no power if left in D5. You should have either dropped it into 3rd or went at it from 80. If you did you would have walked away easily.
When I race, I am never in D5. I am always in Sport Shift Mode. I was always in 3rd.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Mr. Hyde came out to play .
Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice work, do u have any mods
Old 02-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice runs all around.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Chemmech
Looks like Mr. Hyde came out to play .
Hehehe... Yeap...
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by darrinb
nice work, do u have any mods
None. 100% stock.
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Nice runs all around.
Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Beware of leakage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting races SSE, IS, CL, fuck the accord. Now the SSE, was it truly an SSE or was it an SSEi ? I think the SSEi is the only supercharged, unless you are talking about the new Boneville, to which I do not know the trim levels of.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Chopper
Very interesting races SSE, IS, CL, fuck the accord. Now the SSE, was it truly an SSE or was it an SSEi ? I think the SSEi is the only supercharged, unless you are talking about the new Boneville, to which I do not know the trim levels of.

Actually I think it was an SSEi
Old 03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally posted by mattg
cliff notes?
I think I need a copy too.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:07 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I saw "3.5 races" in the subject and thought it would be about an encounter you had with a "3.5" CL. Never thought you actually meant 3 and a half races.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
sounds more like they were driving and you were racing. pretty cool nonetheless. where in chicago are you again, cause those 294 tolls, one at like 80th something and the other by oakbrook are what i take everyday.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by UNCTYPE-S
sounds more like they were driving and you were racing. pretty cool nonetheless. where in chicago are you again, cause those 294 tolls, one at like 80th something and the other by oakbrook are what i take everyday.

I live in Bolingbrook, but I go to the airport a lot. So 55 north to 294 north, etc.