3.5 CL- S Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by sgmotoring
No the A/C tensioner bolted right on.
i ask this because this caused a 3 day delay in my install...they dont bolt right on per say...the way the a/c on the type S and belt tensioner mount on the j32a2 is different then the j35a4 but if they had more then just short block from the 3.5 then they probablly had the bracket nessecary to install the a/c and tensioner...was your 35a4 brand new?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, I installed a brand new short block. What year MDX block did you have?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact the guy name Austin519 .... I think he lurks around the "other" acura forum www (dot) acura w*o*r*l*d (dot) com -- ahem, take the "*" out .... he as TLS w/ 3.5L conversion, SC'ed, rebuilt tranny and all kinds of craps.....the amount of $$ he pumped into the car is almost insane!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Originally posted by scalbert
Yes, it is perfectly normal and what we have witnessed.

Here is my take on why the knock is gone. The boost went up because the airflow ingested by the engine was reduced; there was more resistance to flow. What might have been occurring is that once the VTEC change over occurred there was an in rush of air lowering the boost and fuel pressure. But with more air entering and less fuel we went lean. Because more air was entering the motor the power potential was greater but was offset by the lean condition. With the IMRC disconnected there is lower airflow/more boost to keep the fuel pressure higher and keep it from going lean.

Just my hypothesis on the matter.
So you think that my car is running lean. But when I got it dyno with a air/fuel chart(before the swap), it said that I was running very rich. I have been trying to solve this pinging noise without closing the IMRC. I even went in and remove one blade and have the other close. Anyway anyone know how to retard the timing a little? Let say 5 degrees? thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
2 C Not 2 Touch

Man, when you get this done, take some pics and show us! Gotta see this!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

So you think that my car is running lean.

Anyway anyone know how to retard the timing a little? Let say 5 degrees? thanks
I can't say for sure, just conveying what I found. It was obvious that on my car and a few others the car did go leaner when the VTEC change over occurs.

As for the timing, I can control mine +/- 20 degrees.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=118776
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

As for the timing, I can control mine +/- 20 degrees.

I was hoping that I can retard it without buying anything. I am now messing with the Air Temp sensor but I am not sure if that could retard my timing( I am going to tell my computer that the outside air temp is 180% let see if that work). I have not read the whole post on e-managment because I didn't know that it can retard timing. I thought it was a piggy back ECU messing with fuel and vtec. I am talking to www.splitsec.com in Santa Ana. They have a nice timing retard unit that I can change the boost/timing in the car. I just want to know if it is the timing or the fuel that is leaving all those gravels in my exhaust before I go out and buy something.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

The e-Manage directly controls each ignition coil signal with 256 cell based on boost and RPM. It is direct control and not a trick to try and get the timing you desire.

By altering the IAT signal you may get less timing but you have also changed the calculated load value and would lean out the mixture. The IAT accounts for about 20% - 30% of the load calculation. You could also fool the ECT and achieve the same thing but again with consequences. By changing either the IAT or ECT you will also alter fueling which may or may not be much of an impact. But cold start issues will show up and be problematic.

The best bet is the e-Manage especially when you are doing what you are. It would give you complete control over the fueling and timing. I know and have used SplitSecond's products in the past, they are good. But in this case the e-Manage is the better bet.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:00 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by randomwalk101
Contact the guy name Austin519 .... I think he lurks around the "other" acura forum www (dot) acura w*o*r*l*d (dot) com -- ahem, take the "*" out .... he as TLS w/ 3.5L conversion, SC'ed, rebuilt tranny and all kinds of craps.....the amount of $$ he pumped into the car is almost insane!!!
He is a moderator on that site.

He never installed the s/c...it is for sale.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Just got my car dyno. You can see it on 6spdmanual post. OK, how much for the E-Managment with plug and play? The guy at dyno said he guarantee my car is running rich. He like me didn't believe that just by unplugging the IMRC will make the pinging go away. But I showed him that he was wrong . I have some question on the dyno result, I will ask it there.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro

Just got my car dyno. You can see it on 6spdmanual post. OK, how much for the E-Managment with plug and play? The guy at dyno said he guarantee my car is running rich. He like me didn't believe that just by unplugging the IMRC will make the pinging go away. But I showed him that he was wrong . I have some question on the dyno result, I will ask it there.
Here is the dyno -
Old 01-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

OK, how much for the E-Managment with plug and play?
When available, which should be within a month, and with the support tool which allows for programming; I suspect it will be in the $675 range.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

That torque curve is wrong, or rather, not what it should be. That is not just fuel issues.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Audi S4 driver

friend of mine with a whipple s\c uses an MSD ignition with boost timing master to retard timing .. for every lb of boost it sees, it retards the timing a set amount of degrees .. whatever you choose on the dial. from 0-3 for each lb of boost. I dont know if that would help.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by blader
friend of mine with a whipple s\c uses an MSD ignition with boost timing master to retard timing .. for every lb of boost it sees, it retards the timing a set amount of degrees .. whatever you choose on the dial. from 0-3 for each lb of boost. I dont know if that would help.
on what kind of car?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Satin Slayer

He never installed the s/c...it is for sale.
why not
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally posted by ModAddict
on what kind of car?
lol actually a 95 3\4 ton Suburban with a worked 454. best dyno 350RWHP and 530RWTQ.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:53 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

why not
I'm sorry...I don't know the story. I'm getting conflicting stories from f/s posts on here and the other site. It's best taken up with him. All I know is that it's new/never installed for sale.

<edit> Oh, the s/c is in perfect condition...don't want anybody getting the wrong idea. I think it's more of a personal nature. So, somebody help him out...BUY THE SUPERCHARGER!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by blader
That works with distributor ignitions with a single ignition signal. We have six individual ignition signals so it won't work for us.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Suzuka Master

why not
Never got around to it before other, and more important, financial requirements arose.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

That torque curve is wrong, or rather, not what it should be. That is not just fuel issues.
Why do you think that the torque curve is wrong? I don't understand the dyno chart enough to diagnose the problem just by looking at it. I have a base run chart with the old 3.2L supercharge and IMRC connected. This engine makes more HP and Torque until the Vtec kick in which is about 4800 rpm. Then from 5000-6000rpm it made similar hp and torque. Somehow I have a spike at 6000 rpm and that seem to drop 10 hp instantly. Does anyone know what that spike is? I think it is from closing the IMRC. I knew a few of you have dyno your car with the IMRC disconneted, so how many hp and torque did you lose? Could it be that my trans is slipping?(don't feel it ).
Pulling the supercharge and get a base run is the last option. I am too lazy
Old 01-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

you know when i had issues after my install which turned out to be a bent throttle plate on the TB...one of the things doug wanted to look at was the placement of the head gaskets...he said it would be easy to put them on backwards
Old 01-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Originally posted by typeR
you know when i had issues after my install which turned out to be a bent throttle plate on the TB...one of the things doug wanted to look at was the placement of the head gaskets...he said it would be easy to put them on backwards

I don't think I installed the head gasket backwards. What would happen if it was installed backwards? I would think you will have some kind of leak. I have put about 1000 miles on the engine, no leak or overheat symptoms.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you think that the torque curve is wrong? I don't understand the dyno chart enough to diagnose the problem just by looking at it. I have a base run chart with the old 3.2L supercharge and IMRC connected. This engine makes more HP and Torque until the Vtec kick in which is about 4800 rpm. Then from 5000-6000rpm it made similar hp and torque. Somehow I have a spike at 6000 rpm and that seem to drop 10 hp instantly. Does anyone know what that spike is? I think it is from closing the IMRC. I knew a few of you have dyno your car with the IMRC disconneted, so how many hp and torque did you lose? Could it be that my trans is slipping?(don't feel it ).
Pulling the supercharge and get a base run is the last option. I am too lazy
AT one point, Syncivic (MR. 3.5L conversion) said a non-functioning IMRC would drop high-end HP by around 15-20 HP. You are about 20 HP.

I really wonder what your compression ratio in your MDX block is. When I did the calcs based on certain assumptions, I came up with 11.26. (Type-S heads with 3.5 bottom end). I wonder if your timing is getting retarded BIG TIME.

The IMRC trick is getting rid of your ping issue (thanks to Scalbert’s (aka Steve's pioneering work). However, is there a trade-off when you hit the dyno that has not been documented to date? In a way, the curve seems to look like what one would expect if the IMRC was broken.

The other issue is related to the rod ratio and longer stroke of the 3.5L vs. 3.2L.

The longer stroke boosts the intake velocity of the intake charge and what may be a "practical fix" for a 3.2L with S/C may not be ok for a 3.5L with S/C. The 3.5L is going to pulling a lot more air through the whole RPM range and as you've seen from Type-R's dyno, the midrange is what gets the big boost -- there is finally some restriction in the intake or exhaust that limits the gas flow of the N/A engine (this is typical of strokers). If you are already reaching high intake charge velocities that boost the mid range, while only increasing the peak HP @ 6K+ RPM by a small amount WITHOUT a S/C, what does that say if you kill the gas flow with the IMRC being closed?

So, in one case you’re possibly getting rid of some timing issues, but in another you’re possibly cutting off air flow and completely negating the whole reason of using a 3.5L block.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here and just tossing out some "food for thought."

While I was looking at the curves over on the Comptech site, I was struck by the complete reversal of TQ curve slope!

How brutal would it be to make a dyno run with the IMRC valve normally operating?

Have you contacted Comptech?

Who did you get the 3.5L short block from -- and is it dead stock (no replacement rods and/or pistons).
Old 01-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by EricL
AT one point, Syncivic (MR. 3.5L conversion) said a non-functioning IMRC would drop high-end HP by around 15-20 HP. You are about 20 HP.

I really wonder what your compression ratio in your MDX block is. When I did the calcs based on certain assumptions, I came up with 11.26. (Type-S heads with 3.5 bottom end). I wonder if your timing is getting retarded BIG TIME.

The IMRC trick is getting rid of your ping issue (thanks to Scalbert’s (aka Steve's pioneering work). However, is there a trade-off when you hit the dyno that has not been documented to date? In a way, the curve seems to look like what one would expect if the IMRC was broken.

The other issue is related to the rod ratio and longer stroke of the 3.5L vs. 3.2L.

The longer stroke boosts the intake velocity of the intake charge and what may be a "practical fix" for a 3.2L with S/C may not be ok for a 3.5L with S/C. The 3.5L is going to pulling a lot more air through the whole RPM range and as you've seen from Type-R's dyno, the midrange is what gets the big boost -- there is finally some restriction in the intake or exhaust that limits the gas flow of the N/A engine (this is typical of strokers). If you are already reaching high intake charge velocities that boost the mid range, while only increasing the peak HP @ 6K+ RPM by a small amount WITHOUT a S/C, what does that say if you kill the gas flow with the IMRC being closed?

So, in one case you’re possibly getting rid of some timing issues, but in another you’re possibly cutting off air flow and completely negating the whole reason of using a 3.5L block.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here and just tossing out some "food for thought."

While I was looking at the curves over on the Comptech site, I was struck by the complete reversal of TQ curve slope!

How brutal would it be to make a dyno run with the IMRC valve normally operating?

Have you contacted Comptech?

Who did you get the 3.5L short block from -- and is it dead stock (no replacement rods and/or pistons).
ericL the thing i'd like to add is if i remember right, he (sgmotoring)made a comment when the 3.5 was first done ,before the imrc that the mid range torque was much improved (according to the butt dyno) but the top end was lacking...looking at the dyno i was supplied with my conversion,and my matching butt dyno ,this is where my car pulls hardest

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/a...p;postid=842780
Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Thanks for your input eric. It is a brand new stock short block from Acura. Uhh... No I haven't contact Comptech, I don't know how they will react when I tell them that I have a 3.5L with a aftermarket pulley. (maybe void my warranty? ) But my next step is to reinstall the original pulley and open up the IMRC. I would like to see if the pinging is still there and go from there. I think the easy fix will be lowering the boost for now. Is anyone willing to share their upgrade supercharge pulley diameter from the groove? thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

ericL the thing i'd like to add is if i remember right, he (sgmotoring)made a comment when the 3.5 was first done ,before the imrc that the mid range torque was much improved (according to the butt dyno) but the top end was lacking...looking at the dyno i was supplied with my conversion,and my matching butt dyno ,this is where my car pulls hardest

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/a...p;postid=842780
Here is the dyno chart again (this is the one that came from Doug): http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/at...&postid=842780

Yes, the torque (and accel does peak around 5K).
Old 01-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for your input eric. It is a brand new stock short block from Acura. Uhh... No I haven't contact Comptech, I don't know how they will react when I tell them that I have a 3.5L with a aftermarket pulley. (maybe void my warranty? ) But my next step is to reinstall the original pulley and open up the IMRC. I would like to see if the pinging is still there and go from there. I think the easy fix will be lowering the boost for now. Is anyone willing to share their upgrade supercharge pulley diameter from the groove? thanks
Is there a way to just ask Comptech, "Hey, how would the S/C work on my car if added an MDX bottom end (later)?" "Would I need to consider any changes or issues?"

The other steps you have mentioned seem reasonable places to go from here. (open IMRC, lower boost).

Wish I had magic bullet, but...
Old 01-31-2004, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

There are quite a few conceptual aspects here. Based on Brad's dyno, unplugging the IMRC made little difference in the mid range or top end power. But this was on a blown 3.2L. With increased displacement other variables are brought into play which those of us also running under boost do not have.

It is far too easy to plug the connector back in and see what the new results are. But IMO, this is not the source of the problem. Even on an NA vehicle with a faulty IMRC there was a slight recovery at the end. However, this is boosted and once again, aspects are unknown. Testing would be the easiest route to gain the needed knowledge.

Just as an aside, I will be running my car with and without the IMRC next Saturday on the dyno. I'll be running it on factory tuning and then with the e-Manage tuned. This may not lend any information for this situation as I am running a 3.2L engine.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

The longer stroke boosts the intake velocity of the intake charge and what may be a "practical fix" for a 3.2L with S/C may not be ok for a 3.5L with S/C. The 3.5L is going to pulling a lot more air through the whole RPM range
What is also interesting is that sgmotoring is seeing about the same boost levels. Conceptually he should see lower numbers since the blower is moving the same amount of air as the rest of us but the engine should be ingesting more. Boost should be lower in this case by as much as 0.5 - 1.0 PSI depending on the RPM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

last thing ill add here is...i was also told it would be faily easy to put the cams in wrong...something like have the front of the cam in right but the rear one tooth off?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

There are quite a few conceptual aspects here. Based on Brad's dyno, unplugging the IMRC made little difference in the mid range or top end power. But this was on a blown 3.2L. With increased displacement other variables are brought into play which those of us also running under boost do not have.

It is far too easy to plug the connector back in and see what the new results are. But IMO, this is not the source of the problem. Even on an NA vehicle with a faulty IMRC there was a slight recovery at the end. However, this is boosted and once again, aspects are unknown. Testing would be the easiest route to gain the needed knowledge.

Just as an aside, I will be running my car with and without the IMRC next Saturday on the dyno. I'll be running it on factory tuning and then with the e-Manage tuned. This may not lend any information for this situation as I am running a 3.2L engine.

Well, I did see one graph dated 1-31-04 with and without the IMRC and the HP/TQ looked pretty close on a 3.2L with S/C.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

last thing ill add here is...i was also told it would be faily easy to put the cams in wrong...something like have the front of the cam in right but the rear one tooth off?
A possiblity...

There is just something very strange about that 6k bump and TQ rolloff.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

I don't think I missed time the cams timming. I assembled the complete engine before dropping it in the car. When the engine is on a stand, it is pretty easy to installed the T-belt. But I will check. Scalbert, I do see that I am loosing a little boost pressure at higher rpm. I think the boost pressure drop when Vtec engaged. Wow EricL, that 3.5L without a blower made more hp than mine with S/C. I need to get my car fixed!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think I missed time the cams timming. I assembled the complete engine before dropping it in the car. When the engine is on a stand, it is pretty easy to installed the T-belt. But I will check. Scalbert, I do see that I am loosing a little boost pressure at higher rpm. I think the boost pressure drop when Vtec engaged. Wow EricL, that 3.5L without a blower made more hp than mine with S/C. I need to get my car fixed!
Do you know how radical the port & polish job was? Just curious...

With your stuff sorted out, you should be making crazy HP (even with the slushbox).
Old 01-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Not sure, but it is as wide as the gaskets would allow.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I did see one graph dated 1-31-04 with and without the IMRC and the HP/TQ looked pretty close on a 3.2L with S/C.
I wasn't aware of another, just the one below which I re-posted for Brad yesterday. This was without headers so the torque drops off similar to what occurs in stock form.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

I could hardly see the different in HP and TQ with the IMRC close or open. He did not make to much HP either. I was just wondering why 6spdmanual got a 15hp increases just by opening the IMRC?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

How did you come out with 11.26 to 1 compression ratio? What kind of assumption did you have to make in your calculation?. I thought my engine have no more than 10.2 to 1 compression ratio.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I could hardly see the different in HP and TQ with the IMRC close or open. He did not make to much HP either. I was just wondering why 6spdmanual got a 15hp increases just by opening the IMRC?
With the blower, the IMRC doesn't have the gains the N/A has, so there's very little difference. If you look at 3800 rpm on the S/C dyno with and without the IMRC, you will see that the large dip disapears w/o the imrc connected. That is about the only difference.

Quick Reply: 3.5 CL- S Conversion