Is the 2003 preferred over the 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the 2003 preferred over the 2001?

I see more 2003's posted here than 2001's, whats the deal? Are they more reliable, or is it just the better look/
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Most certainly. The 2003 was the only year the manual transmission was offered. The automatic transmissions have a critical design flaw that causes them to fail at a very very high rate. Some have had to have their automatic transmissions replaced 3x in just 10k miles. Acura originally extended the warranty on the automatic transmission to 7 years or 90k miles but the problem is that it's a design issue, so replacing the transmission doesn't mean it won't fail again.

I would never consider an automatic CL-S. And while it is possible to convert the auto to a manual, it's costly to do so. You're much better just finding a manual to begin with.

In addition, the manual comes with a limited-slip differential and makes more WHP. Plus manuals are always more fun to drive. The manual also lacks the traction control (made up for by the limited-slip inclusion) which cuts power to the engine when slippage is detected.

The visual differences aren't much. The 2003 has body-colored side mirrors, different wheels (better looking in my opinion), different exhaust tips (again I prefer the fuller look), smoked tail lights, and doesn't have the driving lamps (which are worthless anyways).
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheWeez
Most certainly. The 2003 was the only year the manual transmission was offered. The automatic transmissions have a critical design flaw that causes them to fail at a very very high rate. Some have had to have their automatic transmissions replaced 3x in just 10k miles. Acura originally extended the warranty on the automatic transmission to 7 years or 90k miles but the problem is that it's a design issue, so replacing the transmission doesn't mean it won't fail again.

I would never consider an automatic CL-S. And while it is possible to convert the auto to a manual, it's costly to do so. You're much better just finding a manual to begin with.

In addition, the manual comes with a limited-slip differential and makes more WHP. Plus manuals are always more fun to drive. The manual also lacks the traction control (made up for by the limited-slip inclusion) which cuts power to the engine when slippage is detected.

The visual differences aren't much. The 2003 has body-colored side mirrors, different wheels (better looking in my opinion), different exhaust tips (again I prefer the fuller look), smoked tail lights, and doesn't have the driving lamps (which are worthless anyways).
I've driven a 2001 for about 10 years now and did not know this. I guess my 5AT isn't all that special :p Awesome that the manual has LSD
Old 09-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,474 Posts
^
Should you decide to keep the car and the factory auto 'craps the bed', one can salvage the reliable utility of an automatic 2G CL with an improved 06-07 non-hybrid Honda Accord V6 transmission swap. It's all in what the personal circumstances are present at the time.
The following users liked this post:
SwiftKit (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta
^
Should you decide to keep the car and the factory auto 'craps the bed', one can salvage the reliable utility of an automatic 2G CL with an improved 06-07 non-hybrid Honda Accord V6 transmission swap. It's all in what the personal circumstances are present at the time.
many thanks, I was completely unaware of this. I think I got lucky with my trans, bc im nearing 150k with no problems other than a few kicks when it shifts rarely every now and then (been happening for ages).

Are the V6 Accord transmissions known to experience failure at a lower rate, or does it eliminate that problem completely? How much can I expect to find one for? Gonna check ebay, im curious how much a 15 y/o tranny goes for
Old 09-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,474 Posts
Originally Posted by SwiftKit
many thanks, I was completely unaware of this. I think I got lucky with my trans, bc im nearing 150k with no problems other than a few kicks when it shifts rarely every now and then (been happening for ages).

Are the V6 Accord transmissions known to experience failure at a lower rate, or does it eliminate that problem completely? How much can I expect to find one for? Gonna check ebay, im curious how much a 15 y/o tranny goes for
In short, the Accord auto tranny was updated to 'fix' the issues that caused many of the initial failures. There is plenty of info on this forum if you want to search for it.
You can use ebay or car-part.com and they should give you an idea about what to expect mileage and price wise. The AV6 trans HAS to be from an 06-07 non-hybrid with a BAYA trans code.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta
In short, the Accord auto tranny was updated to 'fix' the issues that caused many of the initial failures. There is plenty of info on this forum if you want to search for it.
You can use ebay or car-part.com and they should give you an idea about what to expect mileage and price wise. The AV6 trans HAS to be from an 06-07 non-hybrid with a BAYA trans code.
Awesome, thanks! I'll take a look at some threads and bookmark them if the need to swap ever presents itself
Old 09-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Blacked out housing for the headlights, clear upper portion of the taillights. Interior door panels are also different.
I think 03s had silver trim instead of wood grain for the interior.