Community Architect
robb m.

Received 632 Likes on 281 Posts
that picture was taken at main st unionville and hwy 7 in markham
Old 08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LegendC
The NSX has been out a whole lot longer than the Viper so numerically there are more of them than the Viper, this does not make it any more or less exotic though.

the NSX came out in 91

the viper came out in 92-93

i wouldnt call that "a whole lot longer"
Old 08-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jimcol711
im sorry but being hand built does not equal a 40 THOUSAND DOLLAR upcharge over a car like the Z06 that is (somewhat) mass-produced and will slaughter the NSX in any type of competition known to man.

on a more equal price playing field, id say the new Dodge Viper has the NSX beat in every single comparative category or competition known to man as well (even though the Z06 already does this with ease) and there is no doubt, owning a viper is much more exclusive than an NSX. any chump can go pick up a 92-94 NSX in good shape for less than 30k and tell his freinds its a 2000.

not true, the 92-94 were 5 speed manuals, whereas the 2000 is 6-speed. also, i've seen more brand new vipers (3) than brand new nsx's (0). that exclusivity part is subjective. im with zap. also, maybe in your area the buyers are more concious about reliability which would explain the greater number of nsx
it's just a matter of interest that's all.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
Don't be such a simpleton and make it about HP numbers.....if you followed the evolution of the NSX you wouldn't be saying it's basically the same car.....cause it isn't.
Ok, so except for the 20hp and 6spd, what are the differences ??

Just trying to learn something here...
Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Instructor

The NSX has been out a whole lot longer than the Viper so numerically there are more of them than the Viper, this does not make it any more or less exotic though.

The new Viper is selling for more than a new NSX right now....the price of the Viper has consistantly gone up while the NSX has maintained it's price position since 1997.

The NSX isn't about raw horsepower, 1\4 mile times, etc.... It's about a well balanced sports car built to Honda ideals. The reliability, revability, smoothness and quality we have come to expect from a Honda \ Acura product.

The NSX is very long in the tooth though, but it has a tough life as a low sales volume halo car. It needs a supercharger to compete in serious racing, but the balance and lightness of the car keep it competitive. More horsepower does not always equal more speed if you can't get the power down.
Is the NSX really considered to be light???

*These numbers are the lowest I could find for each model*
NSX
Curb Weight 3153/NA LB

350Z
Curb Weight 3188/NA LB

The reason that I bring this up is because the 350z is commonly known as being a 'fat pig' although it is 35lbs heavier than the NSX. So in essence wouldn't that make the NSX porky as well?

I also looked up the weight distribution for the NSX, and something doesn't add up here. How is it that Honda managed to get the NSX to handle so well even though it has 40/60 weight distribution?? I thought that 50/50 was the ideal balance for good handling.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:08 PM

can you get a 40 dollar oil change on a viper like you can on an NSX? Just out of curiosity.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah...The Viper SRT-10 is really nice monster at $86k!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Banned

well i'm gonna throw in my .02, and say that if i had 90k, and it had to be spent on one car, every last dime, and i had a viper or an nsx to choose from, i'd probably choose the nsx. and i choose it only because i've driven probably 20 vipers and about 7 nsx's. even though the nsx is slower, i get a lot more looks sitting in traffic in an nsx than i do in a viper. you really dont see that many nsx's driving around, and its not that bad of a car like some people make it out to be. the interior is very nice and the engine does sound beautiful. i've had customers let me borrow everything under the sun, and when i pulled up to the valet in the nsx, they were very impressed, but the when i had the viper it was kinda ho-hum reception. the viper is still a badass car though, if you wanna go fast in a straight line, that is the car for you, and the engine has a great rumble. i guess all im' trying to say is different strokes for different folks
Old 08-18-2003, 01:40 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

NSX haters :sqntfawk: :pfawk: :thumbsdn:
Old 08-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Katana18
the viper is still a badass car though,if you wanna go fast in a straight line, that is the car for you, and the engine has a great rumble.
The Viper outhandles the NSX...

Old 08-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Speaking of wheel gaps:

It looks ALOT worse in person

Vette isnt a shabby looking car but this interior is just pathetic... Can u say "Cavaliar"

And it gives just as many, if not MORE problems
Old 08-18-2003, 02:04 PM
I love my CL-S

http://www.jgtc.net/index_en.htm

fuck your viper or vette

these cars will rape your domestic pos " in any type of competition known to man"
Old 08-18-2003, 02:17 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Originally posted by Habiib
Is the NSX really considered to be light???

*These numbers are the lowest I could find for each model*
NSX
Curb Weight 3153/NA LB

350Z
Curb Weight 3188/NA LB

The reason that I bring this up is because the 350z is commonly known as being a 'fat pig' although it is 35lbs heavier than the NSX. So in essence wouldn't that make the NSX porky as well?

I also looked up the weight distribution for the NSX, and something doesn't add up here. How is it that Honda managed to get the NSX to handle so well even though it has 40/60 weight distribution?? I thought that 50/50 was the ideal balance for good handling.
On production numbers...http://members.aol.com/nsxsounds/numbers.html Thats only through 1997, but the US sales have only been a couple hundred a year for the last few, which acutally picked up with the 2003 release.

Viper numbers
http://ivr.viperclub.org/vin.html

I guess the NSX is not dramatically lighter than a lot of its competition, but it was also a pioneer in aluminum construction that has benefited much of the industry (Audi Space Frame comes to mind). Also, compare the NSX to the 350Z, nearly the same weight and horsepower and RWD, and the NSX is still faster.

I wonder too about the 40\60 split, I remember reading somewhere that 50\50 is not ideal for rear engine cars because you want the rear a little more planted.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What I don't understand is how the people who have never compared an NSX and a Z06 by actually driving them can truthfully say one is better than the other.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Instructor

On production numbers...http://members.aol.com/nsxsounds/numbers.html Thats only through 1997, but the US sales have only been a couple hundred a year for the last few, which acutally picked up with the 2003 release.

Viper numbers
http://ivr.viperclub.org/vin.html

I guess the NSX is not dramatically lighter than a lot of its competition, but it was also a pioneer in aluminum construction that has benefited much of the industry (Audi Space Frame comes to mind). Also, compare the NSX to the 350Z, nearly the same weight and horsepower and RWD, and the NSX is still faster.

I wonder too about the 40\60 split, I remember reading somewhere that 50\50 is not ideal for rear engine cars because you want the rear a little more planted.
From what I've been reading the NSX has excellent gearing to take advantage of its powerband, and also that it looses less HP to the wheels since it is Mid-Engine + RWD. But I don't know about that stuff and what determines a cars straight line performance, so I can't say if its true or not...
Old 08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

The Viper outhandles the NSX...

ummm.........no it doesnt.......the nsx hugged corners,even when i was taking them at about 70mph,while in the viper it always felt as though the back end was gonna slide out on me......the nsx is way better in handling, hands down...the viper isnt bad in handling, just not as good as the nsx
Old 08-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I love my G sedan

Current and Upcoming Japanese supercars:

Lexus something
Acura NSX
Infiniti GTR
Mitsubishi EVO
Subaru STI
Mazda RX7

They are pretty much all three-characters/numbers names(at least the abbreviation is), so the one from Toyota/Lexus should follow this tradition too.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

.the nsx is way better in handling, hands down...the viper isnt bad in handling, just not as good as the nsx
Are you kidding me? The Gen II Viper pulls a .98g on the skidpad to the NSXs .93g.

The new Viper SRT is 1.15g

"The Viper isn't bad in handling"

Yeah, no shit.

Are you the same retard that made those dumb comments about leasing a little while back?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Does this one look like a 4x4?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gun...ar.jpg&.view=t
Old 08-18-2003, 03:28 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Nuff Said
Old 08-18-2003, 03:30 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

the Viper is produced in very low production numbers to maintain exclusivity (LOWER production numbers than the NSX in fact)

please, enlighten me.
Look at the production info I found. In 94 over 3000 Vipers were built. That about equals the first year of NSX production, but production has been down for the NSX ever since.

the Viper is far from "cheap plastic, mass produced, dime a dozen" the amount of R&D and engineering that went into the viper, and the new gen viper easily equal or surpass all the R&D that went into the NSX almost 15 years ago.

please, enlighten me.
How on earth can you make this statement? What do you have to back this up? Sure, modern R&D is awesome, but what was ground breaking about the Viper? NSX is all aluminum, VTEC, and uses titanium internals. The Viper motor started its life as a truck block.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by CL P Diddy
[IMG]Nuff Said
Blah, looks like the interior of the 300ZX I had 11 years ago......except for the yellow seats/trim.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

beltfed, totally agreed, the NSX interior is VERY dated. its nice, its stylish, its clean, but it IS VERY DATED! its not as nice as the CL/TL interior, thats for sure. and as for the pic of the vette interior. please....someone tell me what is wrong with it?? its functional, its practical, it looks nice. waht the hell is the problem with it??
Old 08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Shogun Assassin

and as for the pic of the vette interior. please....someone tell me what is wrong with it?? its functional, its practical, it looks nice. waht the hell is the problem with it??
let me get this straight: you like the "plastic-fantastic" look?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Banned

Are you kidding me? The Gen II Viper pulls a .98g on the skidpad to the NSXs .93g. the new Viper SRT is 1.15g

"The Viper isn't bad in handling"

Yeah, no shit.

Are you the same retard that made those dumb comments about leasing a little while back?
no i'm not the "retard" with the dumb comments, you must be thinking about somebody else.

but, have YOU ever driven a viper or an nsx and actually got to feel how they drive? Or do you just rely on what Car and Driver tells you? Hey , if the vipers numbers are better on the skidpad, so what? who cares? all i know is, when i drove them, my opinion was that the nsx handles better. i didnt notice the .05 difference when i was driving them. sorry
Old 08-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fahoumh
let me get this straight: you like the "plastic-fantastic" look?
I don't mind it, especially if a car looks great has lots of power.

The C6 Vette will address much of the criticism of the current Vette interior.

Personally, when I had my C5 I didn't think it was "that" bad except for the ashtray door, the door panels could be better, and the cheesy radio head unit.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Shogun Assassin

no i'm not the "retard" with the dumb comments, you must be thinking about somebody else.

but, have YOU ever driven a viper or an nsx and actually got to feel how they drive? Or do you just rely on what Car and Driver tells you? Hey , if the vipers numbers are better on the skidpad, so what? who cares? all i know is, when i drove them, my opinion was that the nsx handles better. i didnt notice the .05 difference when i was driving them. sorry
*pssst*....he owns a Viper
Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Banned

good for him, hope he enjoys it!

haha now that i think about it i shoulda checked his sig first
Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Actually, I checked.....you are the retard that made the comments.

Not only are you stupid, you're blind as well. Do you see the Viper listed below (edit- just saw that you noticed). Yes, I actually have the real thing not a 1/8th scale version.

Have also driven the NSX at length, its been out for 100 years.

You are such an armchair enthusiast.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by Beltfed
I don't mind it, especially if a car looks great has lots of power.
really? Personally, I can't stand the cheap look of most domestic vehicles. One example that immediately comes to mind is my cousin's GTP. It looks damn mean because it's black with "fuck-off" dark tint and the S/C'd 3800 series V6 packs a decent punch, but the interior BLOWS.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Banned

really, what did i say about leasing? i dont even remember that. nice to know that you think so much of me that you remember stuff that i wrote that i have no clue about. oh well. good to see that people on this board cant talk about stuff without resorting to childish name calling. will it ever end? If i made stupid comments about leasing.......so what? if i dont own a viper......so what? Hold on, let me bow down to you because you're the best, know everything, and have all the toys.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

really? Personally, I can't stand the cheap look of most domestic vehicles. One example that immediately comes to mind is my cousin's GTP. It looks damn mean because it's black with "fuck-off" dark tint and the S/C'd 3800 series V6 packs a decent punch, but the interior BLOWS.
I do care, but what I meant by cars having lots of power. I'm really referring to Vettes,Vipers, MustangCobras, SVT Lightning.... not your mainstream Pontiacs/Chevy's/Fords.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Shogun Assassin

I do care, but what I meant by cars having lots of power. I'm really referring to Vettes,Vipers, MustangCobras, SVT Lightning.... not your mainstream Pontiacs/Chevy's/Fords.
the look of the Vette interior that was posted didn't seem much better than the interior of my cousin's GTP.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

good to see that people on this board cant talk about stuff without resorting to childish name calling. will it ever end? If i made stupid comments about leasing.......so what? if i dont own a viper......so what? Hold on, let me bow down to you because you're the best, know everything, and have all the toys.
I name call when its necessary, in your case it is.

I'm not the best, don't know everything.......but I know more than you.

As you say though, "so what"
Old 08-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

hey beltfed, if it makes you feel better by calling me names, go for it man! it takes a real man to name call over the computer.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

the look of the Vette interior that was posted didn't seem much better than the interior of my cousin's GTP.
Its not, but your cousins GTP isn't as fun to drive as a Vette, isn't as fast, doesn't handle as well, or look as good (subjective I know).

I'm just willing to give up some interior quality in trade for high performance.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

hey beltfed, if it makes you feel better by calling me names, go for it man! it takes a real man to name call over the computer.
Oh, I would say it to your face as well.......just happens to be that we are having this discussion over the computer.

Unfortunately, I have never been accused of being that nice.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Shogun Assassin

Its not, but your cousins GTP isn't as fun to drive as a Vette, isn't as fast, doesn't handle as well, or look as good (subjective I know).
Well, at least we can agree about the interior quality. I can't agree/disagree with you on the performance difference since I have yet to drive a Vette. :o

I'm just willing to give up some interior quality in trade for high performance.
it's too much of a sacrafice for me...although, I might be willing to let you change my mind with a test-drive of your Viper :P
Old 08-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

as soon as u make it down to orlando, make sure we meet up, so we can have that face to face discussion
Old 08-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

this debate always stirs up trouble....lol.... jimcol still always claiming the NSX isn't worth 90k despite the numerous techinical articles posted, despite the fact the viper is FAR from a daily drive, etc., the list goes on and on..... at some point people just need the throw their hands up in the air and say whatever

Quick Reply: 2003 NSX has the 4x4 look!