2001 CL Front end conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 03:45 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CL Front end conversion question

So I'm probably going to be getting a 01 CL from a buddy of mine, and it needs a front end. I have been looking for weeks and there are no parts cars with a good front end. Is there another car like a TL or Honda that will swap onto the car with little to no modification?

TIA

Old 06-23-2021, 07:15 PM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by MavOG
So I'm probably going to be getting a 01 CL from a buddy of mine, and it needs a front end. I have been looking for weeks and there are no parts cars with a good front end. Is there another car like a TL or Honda that will swap onto the car with little to no modification?

TIA

I've been waiting a long time for CLs to come through my two local pull-a-parts. They're pretty uncommon. It's mostly only TLs that come through, but when the CLs do show up, they've typically been in front end wrecks. I got lucky once and got an untouched mismatched trunk lid that I vinyl wrapped black, so that's cool.
My point is that unless you can find a junkyard off of car-part.com that is willing to ship you a front end, which most, if not all, won't because the shipping is more expensive than the item itself (I've tried multiple times), you're going to just have to wait for a local yard or person to post a listing for one on whatever site you decide to use.
There are also about 2 body kits for these cars, but unless you're a F&F fan, I'd recommend passing on them.

There is also this if you wish to give it a try:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-photograph-gallery-53/hack-ura-cls-6ga-front-end-994352/

​​​​​

Last edited by Thefireball; 06-23-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:36 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Thefireball
I've been waiting a long time for CLs to come through my two local pull-a-parts. They're pretty uncommon. It's mostly only TLs that come through, but when the CLs do show up, they've typically been in front end wrecks. I got lucky once and got an untouched mismatched trunk lid that I vinyl wrapped black, so that's cool.
My point is that unless you can find a junkyard off of car-part.com that is willing to ship you a front end, which most, if not all, won't because the shipping is more expensive than the item itself (I've tried multiple times), you're going to just have to wait for a local yard or person to post a listing for one on whatever site you decide to use.
There are also about 2 body kits for these cars, but unless you're a F&F fan, I'd recommend passing on them.

There is also this if you wish to give it a try:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-photograph-gallery-53/hack-ura-cls-6ga-front-end-994352/

​​​​​
From what I'm seeing online the 2nd gen TL front end looks very similar but i'm not too sure. the car has a passenger-side fender and headlight It needs a bumper cover / hood / driver side fender and headlight
Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Is this a cut to the right front side frame? There appears to be one on the left as well?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:04 PM
I am dumb

From what I'm seeing online the 2nd gen TL front end looks very similar but i'm not too sure. the car has a passenger-side fender and headlight It needs a bumper cover / hood / driver side fender and headlight
From what I've read on here, the front ends are different between the 2g TLs and CLs. That's for both the older and newer body styles that they had. They look similar but won't fit. Might come back with some threads later stating this.
However, I could totally be speaking out my ass and am wrong. I hope I am, because my front bumper has a scratch/hole & a dent in the quarter panel from the previous owner.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:57 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta

Is this a cut to the right front side frame? There appears to be one on the left as well?
Yes its nothing a welder can't fix though.😂
Old 06-23-2021, 10:11 PM
I am dumb

So apparently, a TL front end can fit onto a CL, but it'll take a bit of modification it seems.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ersion-489180/
Originally Posted by ironsurfer129
But ideally can I just change TL headlight, bumper, fender, and hood? or do they not fit at all, because i figure TL and CL have same platform...
One user posted a link to some one who had put on a rear and front bumper from a TL to a CL, but the link is dead.

Here's another thread of some one asking if it's possible, with some one saying no unless modified before it gets hostile:
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-03-cl-476375/

Not only that, but I think the tip on the hood is different between the two. The CL has the grill/emblem piece attached to the hood, while the TL has it attached to the body, I think. So you'd also have to change out the hoods. Make sure if you do decide to do the conversion, in case you get impatient waiting for a wrecked CL, that you make sure you get all the right pieces. There's two different body styles with the TL. First version was more square, while the later ones were more curved. I believe the hood is different between the two. And in case you have or want to, the rear end apparently is a direct fit between the TL and CL with no modifications, at least from what I read.

Last edited by Thefireball; 06-23-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

So apparently, a TL front end can fit onto a CL, but it'll take a bit of modification it seems.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ersion-489180/

One user posted a link to some one who had put on a rear and front bumper from a TL to a CL, but the link is dead.

Here's another thread of some one asking if it's possible, with some one saying no unless modified before it gets hostile:
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-03-cl-476375/

Not only that, but I think the tip on the hood is different between the two. The CL has the grill/emblem piece attached to the hood, while the TL has it attached to the body, I think. So you'd also have to change out the hoods. Make sure if you do decide to do the conversion, in case you get impatient waiting for a wrecked CL, that you make sure you get all the right pieces. There's two different body styles with the TL. First version was more square, while the later ones were more curved. I believe the hood is different between the two. And in case you have or want to, the rear end apparently is a direct fit between the TL and CL with no modifications, at least from what I read.
If I was to Attempt a swap I would buy a whole front-end fenders/hood/bumper/headlights/grille. I recently did A front-end swap on my 03 Ram I converted it to 2006. Wich generation TL do you think would be the best for the conversion?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 PM
I am dumb

If I was to Attempt a swap I would buy a whole front-end fenders/hood/bumper/headlights/grille. I recently did A front-end swap on my 03 Ram I converted it to 2006. Wich generation TL do you think would be the best for the conversion?
It's up to personal preference. I like both the square and round bodies. I think the square looks good on TLs, while the curved looks good on CLs.
I tried looking up the two different body styles for the TL, but I kept only finding the square ones. So I might be speaking out of my ass again. I know there is a different, but it seems to be really subtle.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 PM
5th Gear

It's up to personal preference. I like both the square and round bodies. I think the square looks good on TLs, while the curved looks good on CLs.
I tried looking up the two different body styles for the TL, but I kept only finding the square ones. So I might be speaking out of my ass again. I know there is a different, but it seems to be really subtle.
Yeah I think it changed in 02
The following users liked this post:
Thefireball (06-23-2021)