2001 Acura CL will start with starting fluid but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:54 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Acura CL will start with starting fluid but won't stay running

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 CL that will start with starting fluid but the quickly stops and not stay running. I got help from my last post from this community on the knock sensor and where it was located. I found that the knock sensor wire was chewed away. I put in a new wire I purchased from the Acura dealer and was hoping that was the reason the car would not start. The car now will crank but not run, but if I spray starting fluid, it will start and run for a few seconds and then stop. I replaced the fuse/module under the dash for the fuel sensor, but made no difference, The fuel pump was replaced last year.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have a reader machine to read the codes but no specific code came up. It says ( Emissions Related Engine DTCs, No power train DTCs or Freeze frame data is presently stored in the vehicle's computer ). When I had to take the top of the engine / what the youtube video called "The Beehive" off and I also had to take out the front fuel injectors to get to the knock sensor to replace the chewed wire, I noticed the fuel injectors very dirty. Would the dirty fuel injectors keep the car from starting ?

I appreciate any help from the community.

Thank you,
Haroldredmond
Old 10-26-2022, 10:16 AM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Haroldredmond
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 CL that will start with starting fluid but the quickly stops and not stay running. I got help from my last post from this community on the knock sensor and where it was located. I found that the knock sensor wire was chewed away. I put in a new wire I purchased from the Acura dealer and was hoping that was the reason the car would not start. The car now will crank but not run, but if I spray starting fluid, it will start and run for a few seconds and then stop. I replaced the fuse/module under the dash for the fuel sensor, but made no difference, The fuel pump was replaced last year.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have a reader machine to read the codes but no specific code came up. It says ( Emissions Related Engine DTCs, No power train DTCs or Freeze frame data is presently stored in the vehicle's computer ). When I had to take the top of the engine / what the youtube video called "The Beehive" off and I also had to take out the front fuel injectors to get to the knock sensor to replace the chewed wire, I noticed the fuel injectors very dirty. Would the dirty fuel injectors keep the car from starting ?

I appreciate any help from the community.

Thank you,
Haroldredmond
If they're clogged, then yes, it'd prevent fuel delivery.
Try a fuel pressure test using a gauge.
Does your fuel pump start when you turn the key to electronics? You should hear it for a second or two, then it'll cut off. I've had a fuel pump issues in the past. Had a brand new one fail on me within a month of use. Then another one a month later. It was a head ache.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
clearly a lack of fuel. Rat chew more wires? Fuel fuses? Disconnect fuel line have some one turn on the key quickly to see if you're getting fuel in the engine bay. Cuts problems in half
The following users liked this post:
Thefireball (10-27-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:31 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Check the fuel pump relay. Last time mine went out, I took the plastic cover off the relay and one of the two relays wasn't working.
The following users liked this post:
Thefireball (11-03-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 12:03 AM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RooEng
Check the fuel pump relay. Last time mine went out, I took the plastic cover off the relay and one of the two relays wasn't working.
I always forget about the fuel relay.

Yeah, give it a check. It's a simple fix with a soldering iron. Just reflow the solder on the board, and it should work. Or grab one from another car & test it.