15k checkup, ripp off

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15k checkup, ripp off

Okay despite the fact that people here told me that the 15k was a crock of $hit. I still went cause I needed an oil change. So this time I bought my own mobil 1 5-w30 for 4.50 a bottle instead of having the dealer charge me 8 bucks for it. and even had a free oil change coupon. And I also told them NOT to change my air filter and NOT to wash my car. The regualar cost would of been 105 but they charged me 72.30.

Here is what Acura says what should be performed at 15k.

Replace engine oil, filter and drain plug washer with Genuine Acura Parts
• Replace air filter with Genuine Acura Parts
• Inspect wiper blades, belts, hoses, fuel lines and exhaust system
• Inspect and rotate tires
• Inspect front and rear brake assemblies
• Check/adjust fluid levels
• Inspect steering system, suspension components, alignment and parking brake
• Road test

But what they actually did was.
15k service 50.05
1 abk-1010 Brake Clean 5.85
1 b1700 Washer Fluid 1.99
1 203 MI3 Deposit control 10.95
and environmental fee 2.50

When first told the guy that I didn't want the filter changed he said they don't change it out at 15k. Then I asked him why it was listed on the acura site.
my service took about 1:20 and never did I see my car go for a test drive. And for cleaning the brakes all they basically did was water down my rims and brakes.
And for the MI3 Deposit Control I wasn't sure what it was. When I asked the service guy he said it was some 'fuel addictive' they reccommend. What kind of fooken fuel addictive cost 10.95?? and no where in the manual does it say they should put this POS crap in my car. errrrrrrr

Oh, I also asked about the glowing VSA light and they just said, the light is probably leaking through the vsa triangle and it's just a glowing effect. OKAY AND ??? are u gonna fix it??? He said it ususally happens when we turn the car on and have our lights on and thus having the dash light on makes the VSA triangle glow.

ERRRRRRRRRRR.

Not a reccommended service if u ask me.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:54 AM
White Lightning

yea i had the same problem too. They were rambling on what should be checked up. Thank goodness I have a good father. He taught me all the tricks and trade and not to believe anyone they say. So, I just told them, its my car, whenever i need something, I will come in and have u guys get it fixed. So I just asked for oil change and filter also. 10 minutes later, the dumbass didnt listen to me and said, we think your transmission fluid is bad and you need a new one. So I get all pissed off saying, Did you not hear what i said when i first got here? I was so pissed off i threatened to call the Acura headquarters to give the dealership a bad rep. Next thing you know, they're saying "im sorry sir" HAHA.

My advice, anyone should check on their car and see what needs to be done.

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 05-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Meat Popsicle

Buddy,
That VSA lamp does not glow day or night on my car.
Go bitch them out, and don't forget to complain loudly on the Acura service survey that you'll be getting in a couple of weeks. Make sure you let them know that service that you receive is a large factor in your next buying decision!

We had a problem with a howling brake on our Toyota Sienna mini van. They tried to fix it at the 15K service visit, but I don't think that they even drove the car. The service manager was giving my wife a runaround about gettin a loaner from the dealer for the re-visit of the problem, since they could not provide a time for the resolution of the compaint. ( We bought the car from another dealer BTW, just like my Acura, bought on price, service by location)The survey came from Toyota, and I attached a typed letter detailing our service problems. Bingo, 5 days later the service manager is dropping an Avalon off at my wife's place of buisness, and taking the Van in for the repair. Two new rear drums later, we were happy Toyota customers.

The dealer that services my car ( Continental Acura, Lisle, IL ) gives you a cassette with an audio recording from the service tech explaining what they did. Very nice touch.

Dispute the fuel additive charge if it isn't listed in the 15K service description in the manual.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 05-10-2001, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

7.5k checkup last week for me. Actually wasnt bad. I told them about the moonroof rattle, and that the passenger airbag cover was coming off, and that the engine was idling rough and not to change the oil (I do that).

They fixed the moonroof rattle, rotated the tires (no balance, kind of odd, but I decided if it vibrated at all I would return and have them fix it) checked the engine idle, ordered a new airbag, and washed the car (next time I wont have them do that). And put fuel injector cleaner in the tank (which fixed the rough idle).

I'm going to mention that they didnt balance the wheels before they rotated the tires which is just plain stupid.

And I didnt see them drive the car anywhere except in and out of the garage.

72$

Bubba

------------------
'01 Black Cl-S
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Gouge in rim from Mobil touch-free wash
Old 05-10-2001, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, pohanka's customer service manager always sends a letter just before acura does and asks if I can't fill out Excellent service for EVERY single answer give her a call.

Im deff. callin this women up. I also referred like 6 people to that dealer in the past 6 months.

And for the glowing VSA. i know a hand full of people here have the problem so I'll go pursue it somemore.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:58 PM
10th Gear

Oh yeah, and no where did I see a torque wrench being used on the tires after rotating, so if the brakes get warped, they buy me new ones.

Bubba

------------------
'01 Black Cl-S
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Old 05-10-2001, 01:02 PM
Instructor

I called the 1-800 Acura number and asked them about the VSA light thingy since mine glows too. They said that the dealer should test it out and if it's not supposed to be like that, they need to fix it. Next time i go in to service my car, i'mma nag them till they fix it.

------------------
White/Ebony CL Type S with Navi, 35% tint, Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh shoot, I forgot to get my headers retorqed too.

------------------
CL-S

Old 05-10-2001, 01:11 PM
10th Gear

I'm neytral on pohanka. I like the fact that the service dept stays open late and on the weekends. I also like Bill ( the guy who showed me the car).

However when it came to negotiation time for the price, it was just what I expected. I came up with the price that I was going to pay (sans tax), Bill to it to the sales manager, sales manager said OK. Everything going to well.

After the paper work gets filled out I go over the numbers and notice the 150 processing fee and 48$ tax/surcharge.

I say "I'm not paying that (processing fee) nor am I paying that (48$)"

Bill goes back to sales manager. Sales manager comes back says: "I can get rid of the 48$ but not the 150$". I say "I'm not paying 150$ so Mr Pohanka can buy his third house in curacau"

Sales manager gets ruffled. "Were giving you an incredible deal here" huffing and puffing.

I say: "okay, if you get serious, youve got my phone number, now who has my fucking car keys?"(I was trading in my car).

All the while a group of sales guys had congregated at the nearby table and I could tell that they were listeing intently.

My car keys finally arrive and I walk out. I get to the car and just as soon as I put the key in the door....

"Bubba! (not my real name), come on back, well take care of this. "

So they end up putting 150$ more on my trade.

Just like in the manual. Sigh. Why oh why. Is it any wonder most people hate this process?

Bubba

------------------
'01 Black Cl-S
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Old 05-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you have to always be on top of these guys. I had my 15K done this weekend too. Told them I didn't need an oil change casue I did that myself. They heard that. But for some reason they charged me for an air filter even though I ave the AEM. Go figure. They rotated my tires and rebalanced my rims. Changed the tranny oil. Added fuel injector cleaner. And all that BS visual inspection thing. I'm starting to notice a shimmer in my brakes. So next time I'm gonna have them resurface and also change the passenger side airbag cover. The air filter was freaking $19. Total came out to be $176. Not too bad. Oh yeah got a free t-shirt to advertise for them.

[This message has been edited by buddha (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by buddha:
Yeah, you have to always be on top of these guys. I had my 15K done this weekend too. Told them I didn't need an oil change casue I did that myself. They heard that. But for some reason they charged me for an air filter even though I ave the AEM. Go figure. They rotated my tires and rebalanced my rims. Changed the tranny oil. Added fuel injector cleaner. And all that BS visual inspection thing. I'm starting to notice a shimmer in my brakes. So next time I'm gonna have them resurface and also change the passenger side airbag cover. The air filter was freaking $19. Total came out to be $176. Not too bad. Oh yeah got a free t-shirt to advertise for them.

[This message has been edited by buddha (edited 05-10-2001).]
</font>
OMG!! they changed your tranny oil too. I thought this was taken care of months ago. and was cleared up that 15k was WAYYY to early for tranny oil change.

------------------
CL-S

Old 05-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Advanced

I have come to the conclusion that all of those so called "check ups" are all rip offs. I can see paying for a 60k or 75k mile check up. But lets face it. I can get my tires rotated and oil changed for a lot less money at my neigborhood mechanic. The dealers try to tell you that it helps your resale by having all of your scheduled maint. done. I had a 15, 30 ,and 50 thousand mile check ups on my 97 cl. I had all of the recipts. When it came time to trade, the dealer did not even take those check ups into consideration. I could have had my origianl tires and oil, and they would have still raped my on my trade. They try to make it sound like you really need have all of that dealer performed service. NOT. I just got my cls in January. I already got a remider from my dealer that I needed to bring my car in for the 3500 mile check up. I don't need a check up at 3500 miles! Give me a break. It is a freakin honda! If you change the oil every 3k the car will last you at least 100k miles. Don't believe the dealer service hype.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sneakypete:
I have come to the conclusion that all of those so called "check ups" are all rip offs. I can see paying for a 60k or 75k mile check up. But lets face it. I can get my tires rotated and oil changed for a lot less money at my neigborhood mechanic. The dealers try to tell you that it helps your resale by having all of your scheduled maint. done. I had a 15, 30 ,and 50 thousand mile check ups on my 97 cl. I had all of the recipts. When it came time to trade, the dealer did not even take those check ups into consideration. I could have had my origianl tires and oil, and they would have still raped my on my trade. They try to make it sound like you really need have all of that dealer performed service. NOT. I just got my cls in January. I already got a remider from my dealer that I needed to bring my car in for the 3500 mile check up. I don't need a check up at 3500 miles! Give me a break. It is a freakin honda! If you change the oil every 3k the car will last you at least 100k miles. Don't believe the dealer service hype.</font>

Amen to that. My car has not been in for one of those services yet. I've done the minor stuff myself, and had the tires rotated for around $10 at the local tire shop. I am bringing it in for the 60k service soon though. That's a biggie and since my car is going up for sale soon, I want to get it done......

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 05-10-2001, 05:39 PM
Banned

I think for the 30K you get your VTEC solenoid checked and your valves adjusted. Not too major, but you might want to have a mechanic do it, since you need a special tool to adjust the valves. Other than that, I've been to the dealership once. The first oil change to get all the junk out of the motor from that special lube oil. Tranny oil change is definitely a must at 15K...my friend changed it for me (just drain it and flush it and plug it up.) and was telling me about how someone has been driving it like a race car due to all the metal shards...so, just to be safe I would do it at 15K...regardless if you think you need it or not.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 05-10-2001, 07:13 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

I think I am lucky. I get all my service up to 2 years or 24k.

------------------
2001 CL-S Satin Silver/Ebnoy
  • Spoiler/moonroof visor/20% Tint
  • PIAA 19173/19170
  • Mobil 1 Oil/Oil Filter
  • X-Pel/Upgrade Cup Holder
  • Clifford G4 Solaris Remote Start Car Alarm
  • AEM CAI/Denso Iridium Spark

On its way: Comptech Sway Bar/Brake Line/WS Apexi Coilover/AEM Pulley