1/4 mile track questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4 mile track questions...

Is it better to have less air preasure, or more? Is it worth it to remove the spare/jack? Will the moonroof visor hinder the runs?Running friday night in South FL. First time. The other cars are mostly the TL's.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: 1/4 mile track questions...

Originally posted by JasonT
Is it better to have less air preasure, or more?

If you are running regular street radials, definitely DO NOT lower the air pressure. It is a myth that low air pressure will give you more traction on regular street radials. Besides, anyone that races knows that lowering your air pressure to "help" you out of the hole will also cause more drag (wider contact patch) towards the end of the track. In other words, if lowering your air pressure won't give you a big gain in the beginning of the race, it is a waste because it will slow you down on the top end.

However, if you're using drag radials/slicks or generally any "sticky" tire, go ahead and run lower pressures.

Is it worth it to remove the spare/jack?

Yes. Excess weight is your enemy. A spare tire/jack won't make a big difference, but it will make a difference.

Will the moonroof visor hinder the runs?

Might as well take it off. Keep the car as aerodynamic as possible for the best times.

Running friday night in South FL. First time. The other cars are mostly the TL's.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

I always thought to lower your air pressure no matter what. But I trust Tom2 so go with him. Good Luck!:P
Old 06-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare and Jack might weight 20lbs tops. That isn't going to take too much off of your time. I thought it did but then i tested it and it didn't make any difference at all. I'm talking .01 of a second or something like that. Save yourself the trouble. I've never tested the moonroof visor.

Since this is your first time just enjoy the experience. You'll want to concentrate on the launch. Don't stomp on it unless you have fresh tires otherwise you'll just spin your tires and get very bad times. Don't brake torque. You will want as little fuel in the tank as possible.

If you get bad times don't worry. You'll get better as you race more.

As far as letting out air pressure. It depends on your driving style. On 235 tires letting out air pressure will cause you to loose speed on the top end. You'll need to evaluate how sticky the track is that night and in general. Talk with the other racers to get an idea.

In our cars....the first 60' feet is EVERYTHING!
Old 06-07-2002, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

One more question...
From other peoples experience what gear is best to run the 1/4 mile?
shifting 1-2-3?
SS?
Or using D3?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2002, 07:52 AM
I LOVE MY CAR

I think gate shifting 1-2-3 was most effective....
Old 06-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JasonT
One more question...
From other peoples experience what gear is best to run the 1/4 mile?
shifting 1-2-3?
SS?
Or using D3?

Thanks
I get the best times with D1-D2-D3.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Banned

Re: Re: 1/4 mile track questions...

Originally posted by Tom2
If you are running regular street radials, definitely DO NOT lower the air pressure. It is a myth that low air pressure will give you more traction on regular street radials. Besides, anyone that races knows that lowering your air pressure to "help" you out of the hole will also cause more drag (wider contact patch) towards the end of the track. In other words, if lowering your air pressure won't give you a big gain in the beginning of the race, it is a waste because it will slow you down on the top end.

However, if you're using drag radials/slicks or generally any "sticky" tire, go ahead and run lower pressures.
So how does lowering pressure work for DRs, but not regular street radials? You still have the larger contact patch to deal with on the top end.

I just think it is bad advice to flat out say it won't work. There's a lot of variables in drag racing, tire pressure being one of the most important. Many others get favorable results from lowering tire pressure on regular street radials. Mind you, I am not suggesting he go down to 18 psi, but why not try and experiment at 24-26 psi and see how it pans out? Everyone's individual driving styles vary as well, and what does not work for you might work for someone else in the same car (different feel, etc.)

Granted, I drive a rwd car, but on regular street radials I would always 60' about a tenth better as well as ET a tenth better running at 24-25 psi vs. 32-35.
Old 06-08-2002, 08:26 AM
Unregistered Member

Re: Re: Re: 1/4 mile track questions...

Originally posted by Pull_T

So how does lowering pressure work for DRs, but not regular street radials? You still have the larger contact patch to deal with on the top end.

Here's how it works:

If you lower your pressure with drag radials, you'll get the benefit of being able to come out of the hole harder/faster. Yes, you'll still have to deal with the extra rolling resistance on the top end, but the benefit that you already got out of the hole will more than offset the top end penalty.

If you lower your pressure with regular street radials, you won't get enough of a benefit coming out of the hole to compensate for the extra rolling resistance on the top end.

In other words, lowering your pressure will ALWAYS cause extra rolling resistance....... but the real question is which type of tire can OVER compensate for this problem. Obviously, full glue slicks are the best choice for low pressures. Drag radials are still okay, but regular street radials are a bad choice because you'll never be able to come out of the hole hard enough to make up for the loss of top end.

I just think it is bad advice to flat out say it won't work. There's a lot of variables in drag racing, tire pressure being one of the most important. Many others get favorable results from lowering tire pressure on regular street radials. Mind you, I am not suggesting he go down to 18 psi, but why not try and experiment at 24-26 psi and see how it pans out? Everyone's individual driving styles vary as well, and what does not work for you might work for someone else in the same car (different feel, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with pressures. I was only giving him the advice that he asked for based on my drag racing experiences, which started back in 1987 with my first quick car-- an 87 Mustang GT.

Granted, I drive a rwd car, but on regular street radials I would always 60' about a tenth better as well as ET a tenth better running at 24-25 psi vs. 32-35.

I'm not doubting you, but let me ask you this--

How can you possibly know that? Unless your car is super-consistent, you have no way of knowing if 10 pounds of air pressure in your tires is giving you a tenth. On street tires, a manual trans Mustang is HARD to race consistently.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

times

Hey JasonT
I think ss mode is the best! unless you can shift first right away without hitting the the rev limter your better off shifting in sport mode to the red then shifting before the limter kicks in. that's how i do it and have done pretty well that way. i drop my tire presure to 32psi got good tracation and still had a good top end!!! but zapata is right it depends on the day and track condtions!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/4 mile track questions...

"How can you possibly know that? Unless your car is super-consistent, you have no way of knowing if 10 pounds of air pressure in your tires is giving you a tenth."

You are a well respected member of the board (and with good reason). I understand what you are saying here, but the other side of the coin is how do I know that lowering the air pressure is NOT helping ET? I don't, so I experimented with different pressures and came up with 22-25 psi (depending on track conditions) would yield my best results.

I wasn't trying to assert that lowering air pressure would guarantee a better ET, not at all, just that people should not be adverse to experimenting with air pressure. Heck, for me, half of the fun of going racing is tweaking the small stuff and logging results with different conditions/settings.

My point was just that your "DO NOT lower the air pressure" was a bit strong since everyone's results may vary.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Unregistered Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/4 mile track questions...

Originally posted by Pull_T

My point was just that your "DO NOT lower the air pressure" was a bit strong since everyone's results may vary.
Okay, point well taken.

I should have said that in my experience, lower air pressure on regular street radials does not help your ET.

Of course everyone has the option to try whatever works best for them.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

times

Everyday is different and this is true i use to have a civic that ran 12.00et and 11.50et and everyday was different from the rest experimentimg is the the only way. i know that atco raceway rents out the track maybe we can all get together and do this was mon etc.. night maybe englishtown would do this mike at et javiar are pretty cool at et i klknow them both. maybe if alot are intrested i cold look into this at atco or racewaypark!!!!