03' Hyundai Tiburon V6 Review (*non-acura warning*)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
03' Hyundai Tiburon V6 Review (*non-acura warning*)

...for anyone that cares

My roomate recently bought an auto version of the 03' Tiburon and I was so impressed by it's performance for the price, I figured i'd write it up. He paid 17k and some change for this car.

Exterior: Car looks very nice, low slung and aggressive. The wheels are a bit too small, if you get an auto tranny you're forced to go with what appeared to be 16" alloys. !7's are available on the manual version. It doesn't have a cheap plasticky look that I am used to seeing on other Hyundais. Looks beefy and solid.

Interior: Very good quality; reminded me of the inside of an audi or volkswagen minus some chrome /metal highlights. The controls were very well laid out, and nothing felt cheap or flimsy as I was expecting. The perforated leather seats were very good quality, on par with other cars costing much more. The side bolsters were very large, even more so than my Z, and hugged you in place firmly around turns. There were stitched leather inserts in each door that added to the sporty/quality look of the interior. The leather smelled great. Radio sounded good; the tweeters built into the front window corners work well for a stock setup. Minuses would be head room; I really doubt anyone over 6 foot could comfortably fit in this car. He has the sunroof, so without it headroom may be improved slightly. The doors close with a solid 'thunk'.

Engine/Performance: The V6 is very quiet, smooth and torquey. Not throw you in your seat fast, but FAR from a 4 banger feel. I was amazed how solid this car felt when accelerating. I had driven a hyundai scoupe back in 93' and this car is NOTHING like it. No squeaks, rattles, creaks, even over some pretty rough roads. No noticeable torque steer. The tiptronic shifter worked a bit sluggishly..gear changes took too long, almost negating the usefulness of it. Cornering was very good for the tires the car had on, i'm sure with 17's the car would feel more stable in the turns.

Overall I was extremely impressed with his car; enough to prompt me to write this. If I were looking for a second car in that price range, I would definitely consider this one. The warranty on these cars can't be beat either (10yrs/??miles). I think hyundai has really made a comeback, and if people can get past the Hyundai stigma, this car is a great value.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm i always told my self i would get one of those if it wasn't a hyunda. I 1st saw it over a year ago in korea and thought it was a supra at 1st from the headlights.

i might have to go test drive one. for 10year 100k warranty deff sounds good for a 2nd car.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:03 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,916 Likes on 2,616 Posts
Its that hyundai stigma that kept me from even driving one when i had to buy a new car. I looked but wouldnt drive it, found the CL a few days later.

Wonder if i missed out on anything...
NAH

Glad it got a good review though, it actually looks pretty tight visually.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:sqnteek:
Old 06-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: 03' Hyundai Tiburon V6 Review (*non-acura warning*)

Originally posted by zeroday
...for anyone that cares

You trying to say something??? Get it through your head Zero, YOU are more than welcome here... We just don't want or need 10 Z or G threads open up at one time. That is what all of that was about...

I test drove the Tiburon last year.. felt like a tank and the resale was 50% after the first year, nothing to write home to mom about... Seen a few worked over real good, I was impressed, they make alot of parts/body upgrades pieces 4 them... They tried to market it to the age group of 25-30 yr old males, but I see nothing but girls driving them around Pittsburgh..

Smitty

p.s. Warranty work on those is like trying to pull teeth from what I heard.. Didn't someone sue them because it took like 3 months to get a replacement part?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,916 Likes on 2,616 Posts
Guess i truly didnt miss anything then.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
hmm i always told my self i would get one of those if it wasn't a hyunda. I 1st saw it over a year ago in korea and thought it was a supra at 1st from the headlights.
.... Except for the whole Supra part...
Old 06-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: 03' Hyundai Tiburon V6 Review (*non-acura warning*)

Originally posted by Smitty
You trying to say something??? Get it through your head Zero, YOU are more than welcome here... We just don't want or need 10 Z or G threads open up at one time. That is what all of that was about...
uh... dude by saying "If anyone cares" I was actually just implying that it's an inexpensive hyundai and that it's likey not many people here are considering something in this price range....most reviews here are for competing models to the CL....and I put the non acura warning up because Beltfed did that and it cracked me the hell up so I thought i'd copy cat him for the fuck of it. Didn't mean anythng by it really...ok thats a lie :P .

Originally posted by Smitty

I test drove the Tiburon last year.. felt like a tank and the resale was 50% after the first year, nothing to write home to mom about... Seen a few worked over real good, I was impressed, they make alot of parts/body upgrades pieces 4 them... They tried to market it to the age group of 25-30 yr old males, but I see nothing but girls driving them around Pittsburgh..
well it's a 17k$ car whatdya want...I just thought it was a really good deal for the money. It's not comparable to a CL...totally different price range
Old 06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Zapata
your not gettin snobby on me here Zapata are ya?...I KNOW what you used to drive :P . Nxt time it'll be a Z review how bout that .
Old 06-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

17k i guess its a better buy then a civic SI

sidemarker
Old 06-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Hyundai is the best value for ur buck
Buy it, keep it 10 years. I have driven many Hyundais (outside US though) and I am satisfied with the quality/price ratio.

0% APR for 72 months @ 17K, thats it $236/month + tax with 0 down for a car that will give u 100,000 powertrain warranty. Who cares about resale value after all that time!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

I really like the exterior styling of the new Tiburon. (It took a lot for me to say that outloud for the first time.) But seriously, I think Honda/Acura could take a lesson in coupe design from of all places Hyundai.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zeroday
your not gettin snobby on me here Zapata are ya?...I KNOW what you used to drive :P . Nxt time it'll be a Z review how bout that .

eh man, i rocked the stanza It was a great car and really didn't want to part with it. I have no shame
Old 06-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
The tiburon V6's are great cars. They get great reviews around the world. They have also been doing very well on the rally circuit. It cannot be compared to the last generation. Those things are fugly. I think these are great looking.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a lot of Tiburons dirving around here. I'd say its 1/2 Girls to boys dirving them. The car looks very aggressive however it looks very very small inside. (never sat in one)

How did it compare to the Z in interior room and how did ya feel in it Zeroday?
Old 06-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

My cousin has one and when we're hangin' out, she let's/makes me drive. I actually like the Hyundai. It is a very underestimated car!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:47 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a bunch in Florida, too. Mostly younger kids driving them and they look pretty cool...
There was a blue one on display in Daytona at the Spring Break Nationals/Tuner Bash with a huge widebody kit and molded spoiler. It did look like an exotic car from afar...In fact, it was one of the better looking, clean show cars on display...
Old 06-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Chaptorial
There's a lot of Tiburons dirving around here. I'd say its 1/2 Girls to boys dirving them. The car looks very aggressive however it looks very very small inside. (never sat in one)

How did it compare to the Z in interior room and how did ya feel in it Zeroday?
my car has more headroom...and doesn't feel as cramped....I fit ok in it but i'm just a witta guy ( 5'8"). Like I said before, I just don't see how anyone over 6 ft tall can fit in this vehicle. The seats felt great though...very supportive. I'd pimp it if I was looking in this price range...probably only if I was planning on keeping it for the long haul though; resale isn't too good.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 701 Likes on 543 Posts
Hyndai is POS, no wonder they are selling them so cheap.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by russianDude
I beg to differ. They're not spectacular cars by any means, but they're decent. And Hyundai is actually making a name for themselves these days. I'd pick one over a domestic, that's for sure.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraFan
I'd pick one over a domestic, that's for sure.

:shakehd:

I can't believe you just posted that.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Scrib

:shakehd:

I can't believe you just posted that.
Elantra/Focus/Cavalier/Neon/Ion...which one would you pick? The Elantra has been getting better reviews than the Civic these days.

Sonata/Taurus/Malibu/Sebring/Saturn LS...The Malibu is just plan dull, the Taurus is dull and is fading into oblivion. And Saturn just isn't getting it done these days. This one would be close with the Sebring but I've never been a fan of Dodge/Chrysler.

Santa Fe/Escape/Tracker/Vue...ok, this one would have to be an Escape followed by the Santa Fe.

XG350/Impala/Intrepid...ok, this one leans more toward domestics.

Tiberon/Cavalier coupe/Focus Coupe/Mustang/Ion Coupe...Mustang would win but if you add any features, you start going out of the Tiberon's price range. And the Tiberon's exterior styling is better than the others.

Ok, so "any day" is a stretch...how about "most days". I'm not saying Hyundai are incredible cars. I'd still take pretty much any Japanese car over them but they're better than most domestics. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me. It's just an opinion.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:57 PM
lover and fighter

Um, not trying to start a war but here goes:

If I had the choice between a Neon (I MIGHT, JUST MIGHT go with the SR4T instead at $20k), a Cavlier, a Sunfire, a Focus or a Tiburon, I have to admit I'd take a Tiburon...
I'd never take one over a Sentra, a Civic, a Corolla or the Mazda3...Never...
Old 06-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple

If I had the choice between a Neon (I MIGHT, JUST MIGHT go with the SR4T instead at $20k), a Cavlier, a Sunfire, a Focus or a Tiburon, I have to admit I'd take a Tiburon...
I'd never take one over a Sentra, a Civic, a Corolla or the Mazda3...Never...
However, I've never liked Neon's build "quality". Sure, the SR4T is stupid-fast...but what's performance if there's no quality. But you're right, I'd still take a Japanese over a Korean or American.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i drove my friend's 6speed before... i took me 5 mins to find out where reverse gear is..... but overall.. it is good enough for its price.....

and it has a lot of aftermarket support:

Old 06-10-2003, 04:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraFan
However, I've never liked Neon's build "quality". Sure, the SR4T is stupid-fast...but what's performance if there's no quality. But you're right, I'd still take a Japanese over a Korean or American.

have you seen the SRT-4 yet? The build quality is vastly improved over the regular neon.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:14 PM
lover and fighter

Vastly improved on a Neon is like saying "vastly improved" on a Tiburon.
It's the same thing!!!

The pic above shows a very similar kit to the one in Daytona...Car looks very sexy with the wide-body...
Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally posted by russianDude
Wyhat are you talking about. Its far ahead Hummer, Land Rover, Mini and Saab! And its much cheaper.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:39 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd still take a turbocharged srt-4 neon, work the motor and spank all who i encounter.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by r10apple

It has already begun.. hold on!!!!... Zero's thread is now gonna take the stage right NEON turn....

Smitty..

NEON is a NEON... come on... THEY are DODGE JUNK!!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Now, I don't want to get in an arguement either...I don't like calling any car a "POS" or "Junk"...what I can say is I had to drive a Neon for a week last year and it was one of the most poorly made cars I've ever driven. They may have improved the car's quality...but it would take a lot of improvements to bring it up to Hyundai's standards (not that Hyundai's standards are a benchmark of quality or anything).