03 ABP CLS-6 in Honda Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ABP CLS-6 in Honda Tuning

My friend just told me that an 03 CLS-6 is in Honda Tuning this month. It's a 3 or 4 page article. I believe they ran 14.5 stock with it and then bolt on a blower.

I'm going to pick up a copy just for the article!

Old 05-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
They probably only run 14.2 with the blower like Car and Driver did
Old 05-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

http://hondatuningmagazine.com/featu...ht_comptechcl/

Cruise Missile

Comptech Neuspeed supercharged Acura CL Type-S
By Josh Jacquot , Brian Konoske

Not every road test is about the numbers. Occasionally, we get our hands on a car with modifications that fall more on the side of subtlety than outright speed. And sometimes we don't even need to drive that hard to realize an improvement. Such is the case with Comptech/Neuspeed's Acura CL Type-S.

The CL is a big car, more than a foot longer and nearly 200 pounds heavier than a Lancer Evolution. And its target market demographic leans more toward Geritol and tea parties than Red Bull and the World Rally Championship. But it's also a really nice car, fast, smooth, comfortable with lots of amenities. This example even has the optional GPS-based navigation system. And it's at home in the fast lane. More than once we found ourselves cruising at double the speed limit, in climate controlled, GPS-guided, leather-wrapped comfort. All of these features come on the stock CL. However, the best parts on this particular car don't.

Comptech uses an Eaton M62 Generation 4 roots-type supercharger to motivate the CL far beyond Honda/Acura's original aspirations. This positive displacement blower fills the manifold with 5 psi to create one of the smoothest and most linear power deliveries we've experienced. And speaking of power, there's plenty of it. The stock CL Type-S is rated at 260 hp and 232 lb-ft of torque. On our dyno it put down 221 hp and 202 lb-ft of torque. The Comptech-boosted car was far more motivated: call it 289 hp and 246 lb-ft of torque. With a maximum power gain of almost 75 hp, it's fair to say Comptech has managed a healthy improvment.

One of the best things about this kit is its simplicity. Engine management consists of a magic box, which lies to the ECU about manifold pressure, a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pump. That's it. If we didn't know how well it works, we'd probably question how effective such simple mods can be. But, after driving the car more than 600 miles, we can say it works.

Actually, we drove the car in two configurations. First, when we performed instrumented testing, it was outfitted with Comptech springs and anti-roll bars, Koni dampers, Work wheels and Comptech's cat-back exhaust. Then, when we spent time driving it on the road several months later, it was fitted with Neuspeed springs, a Neuspeed rear anti-roll bar, another set of Koni dampers, but with the same valving, BBS wheels and a Neuspeed cat-back exhaust and short-throw shifter. Comptech's supercharger was in place for both tests, as were the BFGoodrich g-Force KDW tires. Therefore, the performance numbers in this article and the accompanying spec box were tallied with the car in configuration number one, and the on-road driving impressions are with configuration number two. We hope that's clear. Regardless of hardware, the open road is where any CL is most at home. The Comptech/ Neuspeed CL will hold its own in the mountains, but at 16 feet long and nearly two tons, it'll never change direction like smaller cars that are at home in that environment.

So instead of our usual mountain flogging, we headed across the California desert in search of open roads with miles of screaming fast lanes. And we were impressed. Just getting the CL up to speed is a chuckle. Roll into the throttle too aggressively in second gear and you leave two wide swaths of BFGoodrich's best up the on-ramp. This display comes courtesy of the helical limited-slip differential. Juvenile antics like this and hard corner exits are about the only time the differential makes itself obvious. Acura's engineers integrated the traction devices perfectly into the chassis and it's truly a necessary addition--there when you need it, invisible when you don't.

The supercharger is slightly more obvious. We noticed a resonance or two, which aren't present in a stock CL and there's some belt whine. These were relatively minor issues and would never keep us from recommending the blower. After all, a stock CL also doesn't lay stripe in second gear or outrun your average Corvette wanker at passing speeds. And that's really the most impressive characteristic of the CL: freeway passing. There's very little need to drop a gear with torque everywhere and the ability to rev to 6900 rpm. So when you roll into the throttle in sixth gear, you surprise the guy two lanes over in the C5 Vette. We did it more than once.

Straight-line performance is better than stock, although the difference isn't as much as the dyno numbers suggest. The quarter-mile time comes down .3 seconds to 14.2 from 14.5 seconds. Trap speed is also better (97.9 mph stock vs. 101.7 mph in supercharged trim). The biggest problem is getting the 3,461 pound Acura out of the hole. Finding a launch rpm that results in the best compromise between wheelspin and engine bog isn't easy with a light flywheel taking much inertia from the drivetrain. More often than not, we ended up spinning the BFG rubber through second gear, which is fun, but not all that quick.

Still, much of the difference in the quarter-mile time is realized by 60 mph. Our stock CL hit that mark in 6.3 seconds, while the supercharged car did so in six seconds flat. Once the cruise missile is fully hooked up, which doesn't really happen until the end of second gear, the improvement is better. Fifty-to-70 acceleration was a full half-second quicker in the supercharged car, dropping from 3.2 to 2.7 seconds.

The big, sticky tires, the Comptech lowering springs, Koni dampers and the larger Comptech anti-roll bars increased the tuna boat's lateral acceleration from .83g stock to .90g.

Braking is significantly improved, thanks to Brembo's Superturismo front big brake kit and stickier-than-stock 225/40ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force KDW rubber. Our stock tester stopped from 60 mph in 135 feet, while the heavier Brembo- and BFG-equipped car stopped in 120 feet.

Again, it's not so much the numbers that matter when you drive a supercharged CL. If wading through freeway drones and working over unsuspecting Corvette drivers is your thing, then this CL is for you.

bolts&washers

Comptech's 2003 Acura CL Type-s

Propulsion
The otherwise stock 3.2-liter V6 is force-fed through a Comptech intake mated to the company's CL-S blower (Eaton M62 roots type). Comptech headers and cat-back exhaust huff out the spent charge. Engine management is kept to the basics, requiring only Comptech's high-pressure fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and electronic signal modifier. Power hits the ground through a mostly stock six-speed transmission, upgraded with Comptech's clutch disc and aluminum flywheel.

Rims & Rubber
BBS RGR wheels (18x7.5) shod with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW meats (225/40ZR-18) comprise the contact patch.

Stance
Koni adjustable dampers sit at all four corners, wrapped with Comptech springs and a 27mm roll-bar up front, a 22mm bar in back.

Resistance
Up front, Brembo four-piston calipers bite on 13-inch rotors using Porterfield R4-S pads. Stock calipers and rotors are retained in back with Porterfield pads. Goodridge braided lines and Motul fluid provide the pressure elements front and rear.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Wow, only .3 less. Why is that?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

LOL I was correct!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:31 AM

LOL I was correct!
I thought that there would be a huge difference in numbers (stock vs. blown), but I guess i was wrong. Can anyone clue me in on why it isnt? Or is that normal?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:44 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those numbers they gave off of the dyno - were those whp? or did they make the adjustments? they didnt specify...

-Alex
Old 05-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I Heart 6 Gears.

Yea thats rediculous!! steve wuts up with that... this makes me not wanna bolt up my supercharger i just got!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok so why did I just spend 5.74$ when the article is online, with pictures and all!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

i agree for almost 4 grand, you'd expect a heftier hp gain... too bad vortec doesnt make superchargers for our cars
Old 05-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
Ok so why did I just spend 5.74$ when the article is online, with pictures and all!
LMFAO, damn that's an expensive magazine!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

They can't drive for shit. The supercharger in my automatic CL-S dropped my ET almost a full second and raised the MPH by 8.

And those dyno numbers are WHP and those numbers are about right for the stock boost pulley on a 6MT. The HBP would push that well above 300whp
Old 05-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

i agree for almost 4 grand, you'd expect much more... too bad vortec doesnt make superchargers for our cars
Old 05-29-2005, 12:12 PM

They can't drive for shit. The supercharger in my automatic CL-S dropped my ET almost a full second and raised the MPH by 8.

And those dyno numbers are WHP and those numbers are about right for the stock boost pulley on a 6MT. The HBP would push that well above 300whp
Is 300whp dyno'd or is that an estimate? Sorry if that sounds stupid.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:38 PM
drewLS6 soon

Originally Posted by AMorgCLS
LMFAO, damn that's an expensive magazine!

canadian
Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Just the header would have brought it down to 14.2 !?! Someone needs to learn how to drive!

Anyways... considering we can run 103-104 mph NA is pretty impressive considering the S/C car musters up a whopping 101...

All of US know that the improvement with the Comptech S/C is much more than how it is represented in this article. It's unfortunate that the FWD layout and mediocre driving results in this type of publicity.

Also, the 'magic box' - its the MAP clamp!?!?!?!?! It is not engine management.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
But then they don't expect the ass whooping you boosted guys give them when they try and race

It still amazes me though that no magazine can drive a boosted CL right. Maybe its just this car that seems to be used for every write up is a fluke. Cause we all know that the car should be quicker.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

What I'm wondering is how they ran 14.5 @ 97.9mph stock ???

That's like 2mph and 0.3 seconds quicker than I managed.

Maybe that's "stock" equipped with BFG KDW's ?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I belive there is a CL-S6 in Michingan (jktz13 - could be off) who got those times stock. I believe he may have had slicks though.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
I belive there is a CL-S6 in Michingan (jktz13 - could be off) who got those times stock. I believe he may have had slicks though.
Still, those numbers are way off. What do you think; used slicks on the stock, and street tires for the blown? All in all, they suck as drivers and the driver needs a big fat hehehe
Old 05-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

I've ran head to head up against a stock 6MT. He ran 98+ MPH all day.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slick_CL
i agree for almost 4 grand, you'd expect much more... too bad vortec doesnt make superchargers for our cars

That makes alot of sense. Why would a Vortec S/C'er be any better? Less low end and midrange for a little bit more upper RPM horsepower. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

Is 300whp dyno'd or is that an estimate? Sorry if that sounds stupid.

Well considering my automatic CL-S with the HBP put down 295whp I'd expect to see a SC'ed w/HBP 6MT to put down around 330whp. Although we don't know yet. I'll have dyno numbers for a SC'ed 6MT sometime before July.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:07 AM

Well considering my automatic CL-S with the HBP put down 295whp I'd expect to see a SC'ed w/HBP 6MT to put down around 330whp. Although we don't know yet. I'll have dyno numbers for a SC'ed 6MT sometime before July.
Cant wait to see those numbers Are you getting a 6MT or do you know someone?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

For a Roots S/C thats not bad (75hp @ the wheels), especially if the power is as linear as they say.. Now someone hook up a Centi to one of these cars and we'll see bigger names put down. I just dont know how it would fit, inexpensively.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FroOch
For a Roots S/C thats not bad (75hp @ the wheels), especially if the power is as linear as they say.. Now someone hook up a Centi to one of these cars and we'll see bigger names put down. I just dont know how it would fit, inexpensively.

1) That's only 3.5psi. That's DAMN good
2) A centrifical style blower could be used (you'd still need the long shaft) but for the little bit you gain in the upper RPM range I wouldn't want to lose the low end and midrange power from the Eaton blower.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Cant wait to see those numbers Are you getting a 6MT or do you know someone?

There'll be a SC'ed 6MT outside of my house this week.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I Heart 6 Gears.

whos?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That's good to hear Steve. Keep us posted with Pics. This project shouldn't be too hard to get off the ground since it's half way there.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

whoa buddy....

That makes alot of sense. Why would a Vortec S/C'er be any better? Less low end and midrange for a little bit more upper RPM horsepower. Thanks, but no thanks.
I dont know really, i had a buddy i was talking with and he said that a vortec supercharger is way better than a "root" style s/c... I dont even know really, i was just going by what he said plus the fact that vortec s/c's are real popular and are used a lot, so i figured what the hell. They dont even make em' for our car, so what does it matter huh?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Just because they don't make them for our cars doesn't mean it isn't possible. They don't make a turbo kit for our cars either, yet there are a few of those running around too. Comptech uses a Vortec "style" blower on their S2000 kit and they use an Eaton blower in the J-Series kits. A Vortec style blower doesn't give nearly the linear power gain that the Eaton blower does. Is it a more efficient blower than the Eaton? Does that automatically make it better? no in my opinion. The goal of the Comptech kit on the J-Series is to enhance daily driving which is exactly what the Eaton blower does. There is no lag in the boost response, it just feels like a much larger motor is under the hood.

There's a reason why most OEM superchargers are Eaton/Roots style.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDMj20acL
whos?

Mine
Old 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM
FWD tuna boat

lol...tuna boat!

and i couldnt justify spending soooo much dough on a SC for such a minimal gain.

another reason i will not mod my CL for speed...just isnt built for it...
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Mine
Congratulations. I'm jealous. Did you buy it already super charged? Or what? Once again, congratulations.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by All Mine
Congratulations. I'm jealous. Did you buy it already super charged? Or what? Once again, congratulations.

Details coming to a thread near you
Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

One of the reasons for Comptech's choice is space in the engine-bay... they wanted their kit to have a very factory look and feel

Just because they don't make them for our cars doesn't mean it isn't possible. They don't make a turbo kit for our cars either, yet there are a few of those running around too. Comptech uses a Vortec "style" blower on their S2000 kit and they use an Eaton blower in the J-Series kits. A Vortec style blower doesn't give nearly the linear power gain that the Eaton blower does. Is it a more efficient blower than the Eaton? Does that automatically make it better? no in my opinion. The goal of the Comptech kit on the J-Series is to enhance daily driving which is exactly what the Eaton blower does. There is no lag in the boost response, it just feels like a much larger motor is under the hood.

There's a reason why most OEM superchargers are Eaton/Roots style.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
One of the reasons for Comptech's choice is space in the engine-bay... they wanted their kit to have a very factory look and feel

All of their kits just look like they "belong" there. RSX, S2K, J-Series, etc
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

All of their kits just look like they "belong" there. RSX, S2K, J-Series, etc
...and mine doesn't
Old 05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
...and mine doesn't

For a one-off custom kit it looks damn nice
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Not to hi-jack the thread, but had a SS cover made for the turbo turbine... big reduction in underhood temps!