01 CL Type-S, new for me, now its gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Master of Mountain roads

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 01 CL Type-S, new for me, now its gone

Oh happy days! I bought my CL yesterday. She is a sweet silver thing, in as good a shape as 10 years and 200,000 miles can leave a car. Everything works, newly rebuilt transmission (2,000 miles on it), new tires, new brakes, new coil-packs, new battery. The owner's manual was in the glove box, the radio code was in an overhead compartment, the car came with 1 key and no Fobs. Oh, did I mention that a spare engine (60,000 miles) came with the car? I got it for $3,801.

So, I bought the car on E-Bay, some of you may have seen it. The sale ended last sunday night (monday morning actually) and my wife and went to pick up the car yesterday - about 150 miles to the east of here.

So, we show up and look long and hard at the car. I like it and hand over the money. We go pick up the spare engine (I took my pickup truck to pick up the car), then we go to to the DMV and 12 minutes later - really, I kept track - I walked out with the title transferred and a new tag in my hand.

So, now get this. We get back to the guys house, take off his tag, put on my new one and what do you think happens next? You got it, my wife grabbed the key from the guy, hopped in the car, and with a smile on her face said "I'll see you at the house".

And this morning rolls around with visions of mountain twisties dancing in my head (West Virginia has some of most desolate and sportiest roads in the country) but it was not to be. At six this morning young-son grabbed the key, jumped in, and headed for work.

I'll get my chance to drive it, I know I will .......
Old 09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
So, have you driven it yet

Keep an eye on that transmission too. Keep up on the 3x3 flushes too.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd rather keep an eye on your avatar
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
the kid is gonna beat the shit outta that trans and it's gonna go bye bye ona nice hot summer day.

i beat the crap outta mine when i got it, and even beat my moms CL up even more back in the day when i was a youngin.

hopefully he's not a speed conisour like I am
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
at first it sounded like someone scammed you on a deal lol but its all fine its your son having fun lol you may get lucky and drive it someday
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and good luck getting a chance to drive it
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
Welcome.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Ha! lol, what a great post. Had me thinking a crash took it from you. But no it's everyone else in your life driving it before you.

Can't believe you got a spare motor with the deal. Too bad it wasn't a spare transmission because that's whats going to go first in the long run. The motors on these cars are bullet-proof. But the auto trans are glass. The best thing you can do like civicdrivr said is keep up with your atf fluid changes. Never, ever... ever let that fluid get burnt.
You got the car cheap enough that if the trans does go you could replace it with the honda odyssey trans that don't fail like the CL/TL/MDX trans do. The info is on this site to do the swap, hope that you don't have to search for it.

Any plans to mod it?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Master of Mountain roads

Well, thank you all for the welcome.

I finally got to drive it saturday morning. I got up at daybreak and got to the car before anyone else was awake. I headed east into the mountains and drove two of my favorite motor-cycle roads. Before I knew it I was in western Maryland so I turned north thinking I'd hit the interstate back to the west. It was farther to the north than I had estimated, but who's complaining.

When I hit the Interstate there was a suprising lot of traffic. Never the less I let it roll a little bit and found myself cruising down the road at 105, and the car was loafing. I came steaming past an SUV like it was parked and I noticed a pair of WVU flags waving out the windows. Holy Crap! "There's a football game today in Morgantown" the voice in my head screamed. That meant that there would be State Police and radar everywhere. I slowed right down and enjoyed the rest of the ride back home - 225 miles in total.

Yeah, its a shame about the transmissions in these things. I told the guy I bought it off of that I had already written off the transmission (even though its still got 4 months left on the guarantee) and have just got it in my mind that next spring I will replace it.

So once I had decided that I would replace it, and had read every post on every forum I could find on the subject, I decided I'd just Pick up the '07 Oddy transmission, mate it to my spare engine (in which I will replace the belts and pumps and anything else that it needs) and then have my mechanic put them in the car in the spring. My guy will do the switch for a flat rate of $200.

So all is good. My son is 36 and he's pretty light on the throttle foot, a lot easier on the car than I am to tell the truth. I'm not worried about him thrashing it, but I might get a little carried away myself. One thing for sure ... I sure do like that car!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Glad to hear it. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Yes, post some pictures
Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great news glad your enjoying it! Definitely pictures would be nice!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! I have seen that car on ebay. And I drove the roads in WV. You will have a lot of fun driving the CL.

You can also avoid a lot of issues but not driving the car hard when you first get going (for five minutes or so), especially in the winter time. Keep the rpms low (1500s) and let it warm up. Once on the open hwy, the CL will show you what it is made of. Listen to the engine yowl.

Originally Posted by ThomWV
Oh happy days! I bought my CL yesterday. She is a sweet silver thing, in as good a shape as 10 years and 200,000 miles can leave a car. Everything works, newly rebuilt transmission (2,000 miles on it), new tires, new brakes, new coil-packs, new battery. The owner's manual was in the glove box, the radio code was in an overhead compartment, the car came with 1 key and no Fobs. Oh, did I mention that a spare engine (60,000 miles) came with the car? I got it for $3,801.

So, I bought the car on E-Bay, some of you may have seen it. The sale ended last sunday night (monday morning actually) and my wife and went to pick up the car yesterday - about 150 miles to the east of here.

So, we show up and look long and hard at the car. I like it and hand over the money. We go pick up the spare engine (I took my pickup truck to pick up the car), then we go to to the DMV and 12 minutes later - really, I kept track - I walked out with the title transferred and a new tag in my hand.

So, now get this. We get back to the guys house, take off his tag, put on my new one and what do you think happens next? You got it, my wife grabbed the key from the guy, hopped in the car, and with a smile on her face said "I'll see you at the house".

And this morning rolls around with visions of mountain twisties dancing in my head (West Virginia has some of most desolate and sportiest roads in the country) but it was not to be. At six this morning young-son grabbed the key, jumped in, and headed for work.

I'll get my chance to drive it, I know I will .......
Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Tell your son to GTFO it's not his car LOL

Welcome anyway though... I thought your story was going to go like this.

Buys CL
Wife drives CL
Wife crashed CL/someone keyed CL or something along those lines
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM

^ Thats the feeling I was getting. Im glad it didn't turn out that way.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Glad your enjoying the car finally. And welcome!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Master of Mountain roads

Oh, I don't have any good pictures of the car yet. I tried to get some yesterday but because of where and how its parked at the house I just could't get a picture worth taking.

I'll take it somewhere soon to get some pictures but for now if you go to the E-Bay sale the guy had a number of very good pictures of the car. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ht_1138wt_1167