'01 CL-S Suspension, I/H/E opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
'01 CL-S Suspension, I/H/E opinions

Alright.. ive been reading the archives for hours. In terms of suspension i was reading the archive of H&R Sports vs Comptechs. Any other opinions.. i dont want the rake look but ive seen CL's with the Comptechs that didnt look like that.. which is better quality... also will the Sports be too much of a drop.. camber issues? Maybe then i should just go with H&R OE Sports.. which i heard after settlin create a 1" drop.
Secondly, the intake i chose. The CT icebox, and i want the CT headers but a grand is hard to come up with... ill probably get them anywas.. but none of the exhaust really appeal to me.. the Comptech is only axle back and whats the B-pipe thing? Greddy, HKS? any other opininos.... and i heard the sway bars do miracles.. which brand though CT? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Springs: All personal preference. H&R Sport and CT will give about the same drop with the H&R dropping a little more in the rear. H&R OE Sports are a waste of money in my opinion. Hardly any drop. As far as camber, its different for each car. Probably has alot to do with the install itself.

Intake: Again, personal preference. CT costs a little more than AEM or Injen. CT has dyno'd slightly better (1-2 hp better) than the AEM or Injen. AEM and Injen are louder than the CT

Headers: If you've actually searched you'll learn CT are the only way to go. Proven build quality, longevity, and performance.

Exhaust: Comptech sells a Cat-back but I think it is close to $1,000

None of the exhaust choices out there are good for more than 5hp. HKS is the cheapest and doesn't droan as much as the CT exhaust.

B-pipe connects the headers to the Cat. Worth about 5 hp.

Sways: CT is the way to go.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Audi S4 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with everything mr steve said ...

however just remember I've done my hours and hours of research searching this forum, reading hundreds upon hundreds of posts .. and I formed my own opinion that Comptech is the way to go so my opinions are biased .. my sig will say it all.

Comptech is definetly the way to go if you don't want to deal with a camber kit. I think its a perfect drop for the car and no camber kit is required. I've had no problems with mine.

The sways are also amazing. With the springs, sways, and a set of decent shocks, 95% of body roll is eliminated without murdering your ride comfort.

Intake: I've had both the AEM and the Comptech. There are countless threads debating comptech and AEM .. I'm sure you've read. It basically comes down to AEM has a very mean growl during vtec, which I loved, but alot of other noises I did not. Hissing with the A\C comes on, hissing at light throttle, and very loud hissing on cold startup. The AEM eliminates most of the other noises but still gives a noticeable growl during vtec. You can get back a little of the AEM growl I've heard by replacing the foam filter that the icebox comes with for a K&N. After having both, I prefer the icebox.

Headers: As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to go than comptech .. Lots of people have installed the stones and obx's with no problems, but lots more have had horror stories. Welds cracking, O2 sensors not fitting on the Stones, flanges warped, blah blah blah .. do a search you'll see. Don't think I've ever seen a problem with a comptech set, at least one that wasn't resolved by Comptech themselves.

Exhaust: Again, I have the comptech exhaust, love the sound. love the look. I have vid clips of it if you'd like to hear them. I've heard HKS in person, and a sound clip of the greddy. The only attractive features of them is that I've heard they don't drone as much on the highway, but honestly it doesnt take long to get used to that. and there is always the option of the quiet tips. By the way, don't expect any performance gains from exhaust because there isn't any noticeable ones.

-Rolf
Old 03-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Suzuka Master

if i had to do it all over again

i would keep the AEM CAI and comptech headers, and neuspeed strut tower bar

i would change the exhaust from comptechs to the GReddy Evo Duals, tokico illuminas/comptech springs to TEINS coilovers, comptech sways to the neuspeed rear race bar and front sway bar

sidemarker
Old 03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Intermediate

RE: VID CLIPS

Blader could you please post or PM me with the vid clips>>> thanx
Old 03-16-2004, 05:40 AM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check my sig
Old 03-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Audi S4 driver

Re: RE: VID CLIPS

Originally posted by billy the kid
Blader could you please post or PM me with the vid clips>>> thanx
Original thread: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...mptech+exhaust
Old 03-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Cruisin'

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Comptech Sway Bars?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

how much do the Comptechs actually drop the car?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Excelerate
how much do the Comptechs actually drop the car?
It ends up being around 1.25" in the rear and 1" in the front..... probably the perfect drop on our cars as they give the best combination of drop and ride quality.

If I had to start over again I'd do the mods in this order:

+ Intake - sound is intoxicating... will always be my first mod
+ Springs - more aggressive stance and handling.
+ Tires/Rims - stocks suck.... 18" rims/tires to take advantage of the springs
+ Sways - to complete the handling package. Strut bars may be added as well.
+ Headers - now that you can handle the curves time for more speed.
+ Exhausts - mostly for looks and sound. I love my Comptech's, but for 1-3hp... should be the last mod.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

you dont think it would be better to go with the H&R OE Sports or Sports.. i was told that although the OE Sports say only .5 in drop in rear and .75 in drop in front they generally settle a quarter inch lower.. so youre lookin at almost one inch
Old 03-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Comptech all the way IMO.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

but why do you say Comptech all the way... have you tried the H&R Sports or OE Sports?? what didnt you like about it?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
It ends up being around 1.25" in the rear and 1" in the front..... probably the perfect drop on our cars as they give the best combination of drop and ride quality.

junior not trying to sound disrespectful but that is way off...very close for the H&R o.e. though more like 1.0 front 1.4 rear...the coms are every bit of 1.5+ front and 1.0+
back when i concidered springs i gathered data from atleast 20 cars...i cant quote every drop anymore but i can say this...all these springs were made for the accord V6 and all except CT drop the rear more than the front...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

but why do you say Comptech all the way... have you tried the H&R Sports or OE Sports?? what didnt you like about it?
I got the H&R Sports as a gift and I love them, however, if I started all over again I would have gone with the Comptech's. The ride is a little smoother and the Comptech's drop the front slightly lower then the back, whereas the H&R Sports are an even drop. I'm sure you're saying... well, that's what I want.... well yes... but if you put any little thing in your trunk the rear looks slightly lower then the front. I have a system in my trunk... so I have that slightly lower in the back look.

Not only that, but the Comptechs are made specifically for our car whereas the H&R share part numbers with the Accords... so you're better off with Comptech IMO....
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by typeR
junior not trying to sound disrespectful but that is way off...very close for the H&R o.e. though more like 1.0 front 1.4 rear...the coms are every bit of 1.5+ front and 1.0+
back when i concidered springs i gathered data from atleast 20 cars...i cant quote every drop anymore but i can say this...all these springs were made for the accord V6 and all except CT drop the rear more than the front...
haha, you're right... I was looking at the wrong line on my sheet

whoops... 1.5"/1" is the advertised amount
Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Race Director

I have no experience with the H&R's however after doing the research i loved the subtle drop that the CT's give along with the raked look over time.

I'm a little CT bias b/c i prefer most of their stuff to the competition.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Revving at 9K...

Nothing wrong with both AEM or Injen CAI, I've had Injen for almost 2 years now. Not a problem.

But if Icebox was out back when I was shopping for an intake, I would have bought the icebox.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

well i guess i just dont want to sacrifice the ride comfort that i have and im tryin to find what spring offers the best handlin coupled with ride comfort.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sidemarker
if i had to do it all over again

i would keep the AEM CAI and comptech headers, and neuspeed strut tower bar

i would change the exhaust from comptechs to the GReddy Evo Duals, tokico illuminas/comptech springs to TEINS coilovers, comptech sways to the neuspeed rear race bar and front sway bar

sidemarker

Except...

I would keep the SS OBX headers (consider me one of the lucky ones), Neuspeed strut tower bar & the best of all Neuspeed RACE sways.

I would however like to change the exhaust from Thermal R&D to Comptechs (looks better on a CL than a TL) and change the Injen CAI to the Comptech Icebox/w K&N filter.

I'm still debating on the springs however. At this point, I'm seriously considering keeping the stock springs throughout the life of the car.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Revving at 9K...

Try full suspension kits. I love my Teins, rides great even with my 19's with rubber bands on them. The bonus is that you can addjust everything. The 16way adjustable damper is very nice thing to have. I have them on softer settings when I'm just driving around town, but on more spirited drives, I tighten/stiffen them up for all the twisties.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:18 AM
///M POWER

i have headers, intake, springs, pulley...

none from comptech though
Old 03-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

well i guess i just dont want to sacrifice the ride comfort that i have and im tryin to find what spring offers the best handlin coupled with ride comfort... .and any other opinions?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

well i guess i just dont want to sacrifice the ride comfort that i have and im tryin to find what spring offers the best handlin coupled with ride comfort... .and any other opinions?
Then definitely Comptech all the way....
Old 03-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

well i have decided to go with the CT intake and headers and springs... i dont like the rake look but ive seen tons of CL's w/ CT springs with aftermarket rims that dont have the raked look after, but i dont think ill be doin an exhaust for the fact of the matter that its 1 grand for 5hp.. also CT has a full cat back and also an axle back with a B-pipe option.. which is better or makes more hp?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:24 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

im thinkin of obx heaeders cant afford the ct, and how bad can they be, for 300 bucks you cant lose
Old 03-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Race Director

also CT has a full cat back and also an axle back with a B-pipe option.. which is better or makes more hp?
They're the same thing.

Comptech makes the Axle-Back Exhaust:

& the B-pipe:

Put those two thing together and you have their Cat-back exhaust:

From most places, including the Comptech site, if you buy the Cat-Back combo you save some $$$ over if you ordered the Axle-Back Exhaust and B-pipe separately.

Either way with the CL's exhaust system being as free flowing as it is adding these will only net you 1-3hp at the most. It would become more useful down the road if you plan to go with forced induction by way of a custom turbo or the Comptech Supercharger:

Old 03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

hey chap how is the car performing with those mods
Old 03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by pimpscls
im thinkin of obx heaeders cant afford the ct, and how bad can they be, for 300 bucks you cant lose
How bad can they be?

Well if they don't let you line up the O2 sensor, or the flanges are warped, or if the welds crack, or ........

And the resonance....

That's how bad they can be. I'm sure for every person who had problems there are 10 who didn't but I'd rather gamble in Vegas than at my Acura Dealership.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

Chap doesn't the B pipe go between the headers and the Cat?

I thought it went Headers-Bpipe-cat-exhaust

Does the Bpipe replace the Cat?

I don't think the cat back is a combination of both the B-pipe and the Axle back exhaust.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Audi S4 driver

it goes headers-cat-bpipe-axle back exhausts.
the cat back is definetly a combo of the bpipe and axle back.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by pimpscls
hey chap how is the car performing with those mods
The car itself runs great. Up top on the highway this sucker pulls and pulls. With the addition of the Pulleys she seems to fly through the revs now. Not sure how much power they gave but I swear I can feel it.

Suspension wise the only thing lacking is some aftermarket rubber. The stocker's only have like 8k on them so sometime in the near future I’ll probably get new rubber. After driving my cousins 325ci I wasn't blown away by its handling like I thought. My car feels to me like its right up there with it. (suspension wise)

Over all i'm very happy and no problems so far. Just waiting on the Chip now.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by blader
it goes headers-cat-bpipe-axle back exhausts.
the cat back is definetly a combo of the bpipe and axle back.

Steve the cat-back combo is just the B-pipe and Exhaust. I should know i bought it.