'01 CL - Cool feature? ... Not! Or Maybe it's me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001 | 01:58 AM
Intermediate

'01 CL - Cool feature? ... Not! Or Maybe it's me!

Okay, I locked myself out of my CL-S (car was on) this weekend:

- turned on the car to warm it up
- started to wipe off some of the dirty surfaces of the interior
-opened the trunk to put some stuff in ... left the trunk open
-left the door open
-proceeded to wipe the inside part of the door and accidentally locked the doors.
-shut the door and, TADA!, I locked myself out
-the car was still running
-but the trunk was open!

Luckily, I did not lock the rear hatch that allows into the interior of the car. It took me about a half an hour to find the right stick. I unlocked the doors by slipping the stick through the rear hatch and tapping the unlock switch.

This happened to me for the second time. I guess that I will have to respect Honda's decision to allow the doors to be locked when the engine is running.

------------------
'01 CL-S PDG stock
Old 02-26-2001 | 02:41 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dmercado:

-left the door open
-proceeded to wipe the inside part of the door and accidentally locked the doors.
-but the trunk was open!

Luckily, I did not lock the rear hatch that allows into the interior of the car. It took me about a half an hour to find the right stick. I unlocked the doors by slipping the stick through the rear hatch and tapping the unlock switch.

This happened to me for the second time. I guess that I will have to respect Honda's decision to allow the doors to be locked when the engine is running.

</font>
This happened to an ex-girlfriend of mine while she was borrowing my Camaro (about 10 years ago). The car ran out of gas before she could get it open.

At least you got in.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-26-2001 | 12:32 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Mine will NOT lock with the key in the ignition. You may have a problem. Hardly ANY cars with remote lock/unlock will lock with the key in the ignition. If you attempt to lock mine, it will immediately pop to unlock.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-26-2001 | 12:34 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Where is your second key?, your valet key? to far to get hold of one, then call Acura's TLC, number is sticked on the drivers' window. It is free!.

------------------
Black, Eboney, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 02-26-2001 | 02:12 PM
Advanced

I just read in the drivers maunal on Saturday that our cars have "Lockout Prevention". This is supposed to work whenever the key is in the ignition.

However, it's mainly for the driver's side. If the drivers door is closed it is possible to lock all the doors from the passenger side with the key in the ignition (i don't know abou the trunk). So if you had your driver's door shut and were in the passenger side and accidentally hit the lock button, that's why it locked. If not then i'd ask your dealer to check the system and the chip in your keys to make sure they're working properly.

Best o'luck

------------------
Bullet-TypeS
'01 Acura CL Type S
San Marino Red/Spoiler/ Mud guards/Fenderwell trim/Wheel locks/Front-end cover/ PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow bulbs/CAI (coming soon)...
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

-left the door open
-but the trunk was open!

</font>
ROFLMAO!!! I feel for you man, but the image of you poking into the passenger compartment with a broomstick is too funny! :-)

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on Stock 17" CL-S wheels
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:33 PM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This happened to me for the second time. I guess that I will have to respect Honda's decision to allow the doors to be locked when the engine is running.

</font>
If the driver's side door is OPEN when you have the car running and you try to lock it, it won't lock. If it's closed, of course it will let you lock it because that'd be like being in the car and you want the door locked.
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Definitely a situation that could be resolved with a second key & remote. If that is not possible a car with OnStar might be in your future.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 02-26-2001 | 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

$10 says the driver's side door was closed and he locked it from the passenger side and closed that door. My 99 TL and my 91 Integra do the same thing. Not sure why you would want to be able to lock it from the passenger side.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Old 02-26-2001 | 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Bullet_TypeS and NSX_Next: You hit the mark on that one, and to clear up my story correctly, the driver side door was closed, the engine was running, and I had accidentally hit the lock switch on the passenger side door.

------------------
'01 CL-S PDG stock
Old 02-26-2001 | 08:42 PM
Coming to a city near you

Bullet_TypeS and NSX_Next: You hit the mark on that one, and to clear up my story correctly, the driver side door was closed, the engine was running, and I had accidentally hit the lock switch on the passenger side door.
</font>
What's the problem then, all cars are designed to lock the door. Otherwise people could carjack ya. Maybe I'm missing something here???
Old 02-26-2001 | 09:30 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I did the same thing in December. I posted it to the old board, the day it had big trouble. When it came back up I couldn't access the post to complete the story. Mine was running, drivers door closed, cleaning the passenger side door panel. I must have hit the lock button. I closed the door and DOH! It was 2 days after the blizzard. TLC said they couldn't get anyone to help for 3 hours because of the backlog in my area. I finally had a friend go and get the wifes keys from her office. The car ran in my garage for 1 hour and 15 minutes DOH! I still have the valet key on my keyring because, [bold]I won't do something stupid twice.[/bold]

On the next service visit I told my SA about my brain-fart. She said "next time it happens call me. "I'll have a porter come out with another key." Oh yeah, I learned a pretty cool secret about the car. I won't post it here. If you are interested. Email me.

------------------
OK, so what's the speed of dark?

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote