Is "Type S" a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:34 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is "Type S" a joke?

Now that we see the RSX-S and the TL-S and they all have less than well-tuned sports suspensions with shitty tires, huge body roll and one and a half feet of wheel well gap--is the Type S badge a joke?

I mean, really, as soon as people got a feel for the Type S cars and their shortcomings in sportines all anyone could think about is the type R's.

Is a CL really only a Type S if it has Springs, sways, Konis and headers?

The additional sportiness of the "Type S" cars is nowhere near what you get from the sports packages from other dealers.

What do the rest of you think?

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-27-2001, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think we understand your comment...
Old 06-27-2001, 11:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add Brembo Brakes, please!

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Konig Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 06-27-2001, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

??

I don't think the wheel gap on the CL-S is big. The gap on my minivan is much larger (about 2 inches more).

I agree with the handling, sways are definitely needed!

Don't forget the CL is Luxury first, Sport second. Compared to the CL-P, the type-S does have a good suspension!
Even the solara's and maxima's rock like a boat, its more a factor of its size. The 3 series bummers are tighter, because they are the size of an integra, very small compared to a CL.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Rod
Drifting

The CL-S' wheel gap is HUGE!
Old 06-27-2001, 11:51 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the Type-S badge is a complete f-in joke.

Acura needs to get a clue

I agree, shitty tires, lame handling, 4x4 wheel gap. Makes no sense.

Type S is barely worthy of a SE or EX label... let alone a Type S label. lol

oh well.

anyway, dont Acura isnt totally to blame. Frog Design (www.frogdesign.com) is the consultant on brand image.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1SilverKnight Grill
Xephyr CAIComptech Springs
Old 06-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Powered By HONDA

wheel gap does not mean anything ok.. i am pretty satisfy my car..u can not judge a car by its looking..

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 06-28-2001, 12:01 AM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S:
wheel gap does not mean anything ok.. i am pretty satisfy my car..u can not judge a car by its looking..
</font>
i'm satisfied with my car.

but I dont think my car is worthy of being called a Type-S.

think about every other manufacturers "sport line"... Audi (S) BMW (M) Lexus (L) Mercedes (AMG) they all make wickedly sporty, yet incredibly luxurious cars out of their sport line.

Acura makes shit with its sportline... sure they have Type-R but they dont do shit with it... plus their just confusing shit by making two "Type" lines. Also, they strip the luxury out of the R line... so Type-S should be a good blend... but its not much of a blend of either... it leans more towards family car then luxury or sport. I want a CL Type-R

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by soopa (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 12:10 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
i'm satisfied with my car.

but I dont think my car is worthy of being called a Type-S.

think about every other manufacturers "sport line"... Audi (S) BMW (M) Lexus (L) Mercedes (AMG) they all make wickedly sporty, yet incredibly luxurious cars out of their sport line.

Acura makes shit with its sportline... sure they have Type-R but they dont do shit with it... plus their just confusing shit by making two "Type" lines. Also, they strip the luxury out of the R line... so Type-S should be a good blend... but its not much of a blend of either... it leans more towards family car then luxury or sport. I want a CL Type-R

</font>
Adam, we are going to seriously send you in for an attitude adjustment. What else could you buy for $30K that even comes close to the Type S? We all seem to be trying to make this car something it is not. It's a great car with all its limitatiions, etc. How would you like to be the new owner of another car that you paid $10K more for and had some of the same issues. Try on an Audi A6 sometime. Talk about compromises. Or a Maxima with its butt ugly styling (same price range) with its surging at 60MPH (smog control related) issues and lame headlights. Get my point?

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02
DOM 3/2000
Self proclaimed President of the "No Scratched Rim Club"

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!

edit *dons flame suit* Flame away!

[This message has been edited by gto2050 (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 12:17 AM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
Adam, we are going to seriously send you in for an attitude adjustment. What else could you buy for $30K that even comes close to the Type S? We all seem to be trying to make this car something it is not. It's a great car with all its limitatiions, etc. How would you like to be the new owner of another car that you paid $10K more for and had some of the same issues. Try on an Audi A6 sometime. Talk about compromises. Or a Maxima with its butt ugly styling (same price range) with its surging at 60MPH (smog control related) issues and lame headlights. Get my point?

</font>
He said he's satisfied with his car, like most of us here are, but just thinks that a Type-S designation deserves more attention to the sporty character of the car. I'm very happy with my car too, but do think that certain things would've made it better. The only one I can speak of from experience is the suspension. Comptech springs should've been included from the factory, they make the car drive much better and don't compromise ride quality or ground clearance. I'm sure others can list many more examples.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok, just measured wheel gaps:

CL-S : 2 inches
Sienna: 3-3/4 inches
Power Wheels jeep wrangler: 2-7/8 inches
(didn't have anything else in the garage to measure)

------------------
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, SplashGuards, K&N 33-2178.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:21 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:
He said he's satisfied with his car, like most of us here are, but just thinks that a Type-S designation deserves more attention to the sporty character of the car. I'm very happy with my car too, but do think that certain things would've made it better. The only one I can speak of from experience is the suspension. Comptech springs should've been included from the factory, they make the car drive much better and don't compromise ride quality or ground clearance. I'm sure others can list many more examples.</font>
That's my point....all these things that we say we want cost $$ and we wouldn't have a $30K car. If the CL-S was $34,000 would you have looked elsewhere? I would have.

------------------
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
DOM 3/2000

Old 06-28-2001, 12:22 AM
The Creator

gto: dont make me smack you j/k

no im not saying im upset with my car at all... I love my car and I wouldnt buy anything else if I was doing it again.

BUT... what I'm saying is... my car doesnt deserve a Type-S designation. Just by calling it that Acura dilutes how seriously they are taking by the public and by critics. We get terrible reviews cuz our car is pretending to be something its not.

It should be SE trim or something... not a Type-S model. Which is supposed ot be the ultimate sport line as Acura likes to portray it on its website.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 06-28-2001, 12:24 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

gto: dont make me smack you j/k

no im not saying im upset with my car at all... I love my car and I wouldnt buy anything else if I was doing it again.

BUT... what I'm saying is... my car doesnt deserve a Type-S designation. Just by calling it that Acura dilutes how seriously they are taking by the public and by critics. We get terrible reviews cuz our car is pretending to be something its not.

It should be SE trim or something... not a Type-S model. Which is supposed ot be the ultimate sport line as Acura likes to portray it on its website.

</font>
Oh, as Emily Latilla used to say on Saturday Night Live....."Never mind!"...

------------------
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
DOM 3/2000

Old 06-28-2001, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, the Type-S badge is a complete f-in joke.

Acura needs to get a clue

I agree, shitty tires, lame handling, 4x4 wheel gap. Makes no sense.

Type S is barely worthy of a SE or EX label... let alone a Type S label. lol

oh well.

anyway, dont Acura isnt totally to blame. Frog Design (www.frogdesign.com) is the consultant on brand image.

</font>

from what i heard it was originally going to be a se version but it was cheaper for acura to just use the S embluem instead of se. YOU know acura, they'll do anything to cut cost.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter w/ J&J RAP CAI. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:30 AM
Old timer

I'm with JZ and Soopa - this is a fucking joke.

I took the "TypeS" badge off the back of my car because it's not worthy of that until I have intake, headers, sways, springs, and shocks modded.
And that ain't happening anytime soon on my budget.

I don't want some punkass in a supercharged Civic killing me and thinking he's killing the best Acura (besides the NSX) around.
Get real - he's just killing a sedan with an itty-bitty horsepower boost.
When I have a supercharger and the aformentioned mods done, I'll consider putting "TypeS" back on my car.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
I smell Comptech springs and sways in the near future! w00t!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

If the CL-S was $34,000 would you have looked elsewhere? I would have.
</font>
Same here, if my CL-S wasn't under 30k, I would have went for something else.

The 1st gen CL was a bit smaller & lighter, I wonder if the 3.2 engine would have fit in it?

------------------
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, SplashGuards, K&N 33-2178.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:48 AM
Rod
Drifting

That's my point....all these things that we say we want cost $$ and we wouldn't have a $30K car. If the CL-S was $34,000 would you have looked elsewhere? I would have.

</font>
I doubt they'd raise the price of the car by much, not even $1k. For example, how much more money do you think it would've cost to design and manufacture springs similar to Comptech springs (or just use Comptech springs) over the Type-S springs we currently have in stock form? Not much, if anything at all. Sways are probably along the same lines. Headers would've brought up the cost, but they'd be able to claim about 290 HP from the factory. The rest of the exhaust is efficient, but looks cheap. How much more expensive would nicer stainless steel tips have made the car?
Old 06-28-2001, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

We get terrible reviews cuz our car is pretending to be something its not.

</font>
What's really happening is we (some of us, anyways) are pretending our car is something it's not. The car isn't pretending to be anything. A "Type S" is different from a "Type R". It's supposed to be a diluted version - nevermind that marketing crap that says it's not. If Acura wanted to make a CL Type R, they would have. But they'd rather sell cars (imagine that!)

You can love your car all you want, but this all comes down to the old saying... if you wanted a BMW (or Lexus or Audi or whatever) then you should have bought one.

This car is an all-around great performer in ALL aspects even in stock form. That's why we all bought it. If you add a few mods, you sway the luxury/sport ratio over to the sport side. If that's still not enough, then you really should have bought a different vehicle.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:51 AM
Old timer

The point isn't that more performance would mean a higher price on it - the point is for the price we DID pay, we didn't get the level of performance we think we should have, especially the performance worthy of a "Type S" badge. The reason being it's neutered.

Once you do all the Comptech mods and an intake, you have the car JZ, Soopa, I, and others have begun to realize we think we should have had right out of the showroom.

I guess it just comes down to Acura always keeping the old people crowd in mind when they design their cars.

If they designed the CL/TL for a younger crowd, I don't think they would have put the resonator on the intake, the restrictive headers, or the weak suspension on it.

Sure, it's a level above a Honda Accord, but that's not what we're concerned with - the point is not CL-S vs other cars, it's CL-S stock vs. CL-S how it should be (aka with all the current bolt-ons we can do).

It's neutered and we end up paying about $2k in mods and installs to get the performance out of it that it should have stock.

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 12:57 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

I have to agree with Gold. I see a lot of the board members complain about the characteristics of the car.... I can understand problems that crop up after u have had the car for a while... ala the Slush shift, the actuator etc... But When I see the Type S badge, I see "Sporty" and not "Sports Car". That emans it's a slight improvement over the standard model. IT's not as if Acura was dumb enough to label it a Type R, cause then I'd be pissed and not even consider buying the car. I'll tkae the CL for what it is: A sporty Luxury coupe. Nothing more, nothing less.

-John.

------------------
Dammit, where's my CLS??!@
Old 06-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
I guess it just comes down to Acura always keeping the old people crowd in mind when they design their cars.
</font>

You got that right. Just think to yourself, what will be your next car? Acura really doesn't have anything much better. You have to go to the M5 or so.

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 01:10 AM
Rod
Drifting

</font>
Well, the "old crowd" can stick to the CL-P.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:13 AM
Old timer

My second choices were either a Maxima SE (notice they don't try to call it a TypeS or anything) or a Camaro SS.

I fell in love with the luxury of the Acura, but I didn't realize how much it lacked in the performance area until I rode in Joe's and JZ's ones with the headers, intake, suspension upgrades. That amount of performance SHOULD have been standard.

Think of it this way: If they'd just given the car proper headers, they could have claimed 290. WTF were they thinking?!

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:16 AM
5th Gear

I think you guys are right to a point.Acura should have put more thought into the car,like its suppose to be sportier than the TL sedan yet it does not come with many things...For instance you still can not buy a after market or for that matter a factory under body kit,yet they make it for the TL TYPE-S....The only thing that I have to say is that if the CL-S came all fixed up the price would be more...I shopped around before I bought this car and I know that compared to the beemer in the same cat...a lot of the features were extra...Where as the CL-S they were standard....To me the car is great....Besides if the car came with every little thing what fun would that be because then there would be no customizing....What do you think the people with the civics are doing.....

------------------
2001 CL TYPE-S
San Marino Red
2.5-2.0 drop
Comptech filter/custom exhaust
18"chrome LowenHart wheels, spoiler, custom sub-box, driving lights
Old 06-28-2001, 01:18 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
But When I see the Type S badge, I see "Sporty" and not "Sports Car". That emans it's a slight improvement over the standard model.
-John.
</font>
Yeah, it's kinda like we bought the CL-P but ordered the "sporty" option ... better handling and tires and wheels than the P but not better than the R.

And to compare the Type S to the AMG and M versions of Mercedes and BMW is ludicrous. Considering the additional cost of those "add-ons" and then comparing them to our CL-S, well ... it's just ludicrous.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK, Comptech Sways
Lic: THX CBOE
Old 06-28-2001, 01:27 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
But When I see the Type S badge, I see "Sporty" and not "Sports Car". That emans it's a slight improvement over the standard model.
-John.
</font>
Yeah, it's kinda like we bought the CL-P but ordered the "sporty" option ... better handling and tires and wheels than the P but not better than the R.

And to compare the Type S to the AMG and M versions of Mercedes and BMW is ludicrous. Considering the additional cost of those "add-ons" and then comparing them to our CL-S, well ... it's just ludicrous.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK, Comptech Sways
Lic: THX CBOE
Old 06-28-2001, 01:29 AM
Old timer

And also Acura kinda screwed us out of real performance modding because they used a quick-fix to up the hp numbers: they upped the compression ratio.
And doing that kills a good chance NOS or forced induction will be able to do too much to further improve numbers.

A CL-P or Accord V6 should be able to take a much bigger shot or higher BAR than our car can without detonation or engine damage.

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

And also Acura kinda screwed us out of real performance modding because they used a quick-fix to up the hp numbers: they upped the compression ratio.
And doing that kills a good chance NOS or forced induction will be able to do too much to further improve numbers.

A CL-P or Accord V6 should be able to take a much bigger shot or higher BAR than our car can without detonation or engine damage.

-J
</font>
those are the kind of words that give me hope
Jrock you made my day!
and yea i bought a S emblem, havn't put it on
till its "ready" or matured

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
• Build date: 10/00. VIN 24225
• Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
• Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
• HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

• Planning: 17" rims w/ Bridgestone Potenzas (730),
Comptech Springs & Sways, V1
• [Photopoint Album Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics II]

Other
• [Yamaha Home Theater Gear]
• [DVD List]
• [June 3rd Sunday Cali. BBQ: Irvine Park]
Old 06-28-2001, 03:55 AM
Race Director

i got the most bang for the buck, and it happens to have xenons, hi/lo heat seats, 6cd, and 17" rims..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
MOD @ WWW.POSTWHORES.COM
Old 06-28-2001, 05:50 AM
RWD convert

I agree on the compression ratio statement. I can run more NOS than you can! That makes me more Fast and Furious! j/k

------------------
Y2K SaTiN SiLvEr BoTTleFeD 3.2TL
-AEM Short Ram intake
-AEM Tru-power pulleys
-NOS 70 shot wet Nitrous System
-Magnaflow exhaust
-Ground Control coil overs
-BLITZ 1.3 kg radiator cap
-Factory underbody kit and Wing
-Mesh grill
-Body color door handles
-20%/35% Llumar Platinum tint
-Räzo Shifter
-2 Rockford 10" XLC subs/Boss Audio CLR60 amp

[This message has been edited by [VTEC]TL (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 10:31 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Now I think many of you have missed my point.

Soopa, JRock--for the most part I think you caught my drift.

Acura has attempted to market the "Type S" as the sports version of the CL, and in doing so, and in accordance with their past image of "Type" cars they have failed miserably. I mean really, I need to take a CLP and a CLS out back to back to check out the differences.

What I know is that the CLP is only marginally slower than the S and honestly the tires on the P are not much worse than those on the S. What I think you get with the Type S is the following: for about 10% more money you get about 10% more performance, and that's not much.

Put it this way, I was thinking about it in these terms. If I were running at the track and they announced what type of car was running I would simply list it as an Acura CL b/c I think the type s shit is bologne. Now, on the other hand, if I had a type R I would proudly announce it.

I'm just saying that the more time goes by the more I think type S is a farce.

I'm not making statements about what is good, or what type of car it is, or the value etc. What I am saying is that Acura threw this label on and at first it caught a lot of attention. And, they marketed it almost as a replacement for the Type R early on. Like it was a serious sports car. And now with the RSX type S and heavens forbid when they come out with an MDX Type S (which I think will be the gayest designation in the world), there will be nothing special about the S designation. Type S--ha.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-28-2001, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:

*(snip)*
Don't forget the CL is Luxury first, Sport second. Compared to the CL-P, the type-S does have a good suspension!
Even the solara's and maxima's rock like a boat, its more a factor of its size. The 3 series bummers are tighter, because they are the size of an integra, very small compared to a CL.
</font>
I'd have to disagree with the majority here and say that the Type-S badge is exactly what it's supposed to be. Look at the CL-P and CL-S... those differences are what make the Type-S. I think you guys are expecting and confusing the Type-R designation with the Type-S. This car does everything that it is designed to do. It's not meant to compete with the M3 or AMG Mercedes.... not at the $30k price range anyway. The cars in it's class, it outperforms at least most of them. If you want a true Luxury sports car, get an M or AMG or wait until the next go around for the CL / TL / RL because down the road when they get redesigned, they will be going after the big boys, but for now, they're doing what they were designed for....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0
Mods: * PIAA Superwhite Headlights ** Rabrig Superwhite corners ** PIAA 1100x Superwhite fogs ** Clear Bumpers (finally) ** tinted windows (20% rear / 35% rest) ** Weapon-R F1 Carbon Intake ** (NOW FOR SALE!!)<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/juniorbean" TARGET=_blank>
For pictures of my car, click here</A>

Moderator - 1st Gen and Car Talk
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-28-2001, 11:40 AM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lead_sled_dog:
And to compare the Type S to the AMG and M versions of Mercedes and BMW is ludicrous.
</font>
It's not us who is trying to compare to other manufacturers sportlines... its Acura who is trying.

They have this whole section on their website dedicated to their ultimate Type-S line.

But Type-S really doesnt mean shit now... especially with the RSX.

I mean look... the RSX Type-S is just a reincarnation of the Integra GSR.

They shoulda just continued calling the cars GSR if they were gonna piss on their Type-S line anyway.

My point is... I'm not bitching about my car. I'm completely satisfied with every preminition I had about the machine. I am just bitching about how retarded Acura is... they really need help! If any of you are marketting/biz.dev/product.dev gurus then please go get yourslef a job at Acura and give them some help!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 06-28-2001, 11:56 AM
SatinCL

OK, this CL-P whipping-boy shit is really starting to get to me.

Reality check: the CL-P outsells the CL-S 3-to-1.

It's all good.....I had to vent y'all.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33

DOM: 5/00
Old 06-28-2001, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
Now I think many of you have missed my point.

Acura has attempted to market the "Type S" as the sports version of the CL, and in doing so, and in accordance with their past image of "Type" cars they have failed miserably.
</font>
What past "Type" cars? I can only think of the "Type R". Like I said before, Type R does not equal Type S. So why does that make Type S a joke?

I don't see where they've marketed the CL-S any differently than the CL-P. Sure, they mention the 260hp, but who cares? Look at it this way.... every commercial I see is some old farts cruisin' along in the Keys, or Sedona or someplace... just chillin', relaxin' and enjoying their LUXURY sport coupe. I don't know about anyone else, but those commercials don't come across to me as marketing this car as a sports version.

I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board (not necessarily you, JZ) saw the number "260" and were just mesmerized. It's like all they could think of was that 260 is more than 240 (the old M3's rating) and that even though this is a bigger heavier car and they knew it wasn't supposed to be an M3 that it still just had to be something extra special because it had 260hp. Does anyone esle know what I mean? Like the saying goes... horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. I think the number 260 has sold an awful lot of cars to the people on this board. I knew beforehand that this car was marketed towards baby-boomers. I expected it to be exactly what it was in stock form... a little mushy, much more oriented to luxury than sport.

Basically, I don't think that calling it "Type S" is a sham just because this car is no M3.

Old 06-28-2001, 06:09 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

It's not us who is trying to compare to other manufacturers sportlines... its Acura who is trying.

They have this whole section on their website dedicated to their ultimate Type-S line.

But Type-S really doesnt mean shit now... especially with the RSX.

I mean look... the RSX Type-S is just a reincarnation of the Integra GSR.

They shoulda just continued calling the cars GSR if they were gonna piss on their Type-S line anyway.

My point is... I'm not bitching about my car. I'm completely satisfied with every preminition I had about the machine. I am just bitching about how retarded Acura is... they really need help! If any of you are marketting/biz.dev/product.dev gurus then please go get yourslef a job at Acura and give them some help!
</font>
Yeah, this is pretty close to my point exactly. They do place a lot of emphasis on the Type S on the website and I truly believe it is a bit of a gimmick.

But, I do have to admit that seeing the numbers 260HP on the sticker impressed me quite a bit. And, yes, to some extent I was a bit fooled. However, I now know a lot more about cars than I did in the past.

Don't get me wrong about my thread--I totally love my car in its current form. I knew during the first test drive that the suspension was too soft. It's moreso in line with what Soopa said with regard to Acura's marketing and not with being displeased with the car itself.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-28-2001, 06:19 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
The additional sportiness of the "Type S" cars is nowhere near what you get from the sports packages from other dealers.

What do the rest of you think?

</font>
No SHIT!!! You got that right! Look at the BMW 330ci w/sport package. NO WHEEL GAP. Stiff, responsive, THAT'S a fucking sport package!
Old 06-28-2001, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Thats just proves it to us, that are cars are even rarer then the CL-P
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
OK, this CL-P whipping-boy shit is really starting to get to me.

Reality check: the CL-P outsells the CL-S 3-to-1.

It's all good.....I had to vent y'all.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-28-2001, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

I'm with Soopa, JRock and many others here. I like my CLS. I've added springs and Toyo tires. The problem is Acura's marketing. They didn't differentiate the Type S enough from the CLP. ARe they selling more combined CLs because of the Type S? I doubt it. And I'd have easily paid another $2000 for the suspension mods, tires, brakes, and headers that would have put up great numbers in comparo tests. A lot of us have spent that money on mods. Think image too. Acura could have produced an image leading car that makes people talk and brings them into the showroom. They missed it.

I'd offer the 260hp engine and other mods as a sport package for the CLP. Then I'd make the Type S a lot sportier (not a hardcore Type R) and an image car that has the substance to back it up. As a former marketing guy, that's my 2cents.
Again, I'm really happy with my car now but wouldn't have been without the mods.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Is "Type S" a joke?