Yes, I searched (TEIN STECH question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I searched (TEIN STECH question)

...I searched long and hard and I couldn't find the answer to this question.

Is it possible to run the Tein Stech springs on the stock shocks? Would that be a suggested setup. If so is anyone here running that right now? So far I've been reading that people who are running the Stech springs have the basic or SS setup. Hmmm...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhm you cant have the S.Tech springs and basic or SS coil-overs at the same time.

But to answer your question, the S. Tech's are designed to be used with the OEM struts, but in time they will wear out and ride like crap.

So you have two choices:

1. S. Tech springs and aftermarket struts

2. Full Coilover set up

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

ILMH - whom are you quoting when you flippantly disregard the OP's question by saying "they will wear out and ride like crap"?
How do you know they'll be a "crap" combination?
I see this more and more on here - recommending nothing but $800+ coilovers or spring/shock combos.
Not everyone wants to or has the funds to play at this level.
And I for one, abhor the constant spouting of OEM shocks being worn out before their time using aftermarket springs. Where's the data proving this is the case?

I'm not having a go at you per se, but there are more than two choices. Those may be the ones you're happier to promote, but the replacement of the OEM springs, is STILL a valid option for whomever can only afford so much.

So, you and the rest who knock spring only upgrades - stop it. Give the questioner ALL the options and prices, and let them decide based on available funds and possible pros and cons of each option.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
We are just giving our opinion, if you have springs w/ stock shocks and happy with it. Then it's fine.

If you got tired seeing people blashing aftermarket/stock shocks, there must be a reason. Go to CRSX, or TSXC, or G35 forum, and run some search. A lot of people find their ride got harsher and bumpier after a period of time, the earliest I see is 3 months, some are after 2 years. It has a lot of variable to involve, e.g. road condition, driving habit.

If the driver does concern about the performance and ride quality, there's doubt to suggest aftermarket spring. Eventually, the driver needs to replace the OEM shocks to aftermarket. Isn't that the same amount of $$$ compare to a simple aftermarket spring/shocks combo, or coilover?

Afterall, the thread-starter was looking for options and opinion, because he has no experience on it. So, we should suggest the best/cost-effective way for him. Decision making is not from us anyways...
Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, I've been running the Comptech 110-155 springs (for the TL) and got a 1" drop on stock shocks. Zero problems, great ride (not to harsh) and the stock shocks have not failed. I have heard a drop over the magical 1.5" (like the Comptech 110-160) seems to have had more issues with shock failure. That is an assessment based on usage around here. I also agree that coilovers, though a great option. If you are deciding to do springs now and shocks later, the cost will be very close to coilovers or a spring/shock combo, so I would suggest waiting until you get the money.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
you can run s-tech springs on stock shocks for about 6-12 months. i had mine on for about 3 months without issues. BE ADVISED, YOU'RE STILL GONNA NEED A REAR CAMBER KIT
Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by godfather2
you can run s-tech springs on stock shocks for about 6-12 months. i had mine on for about 3 months without issues. BE ADVISED, YOU'RE STILL GONNA NEED A REAR CAMBER KIT
Just to cover a Marcus (MrHeelToe) , at the very least get your OEM toe adjustment done.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Here to poke fun at you!

Originally Posted by moda_way
FYI, I've been running the Comptech 110-155 springs (for the TL) and got a 1" drop on stock shocks. Zero problems, great ride (not to harsh) and the stock shocks have not failed. I have heard a drop over the magical 1.5" (like the Comptech 110-160) seems to have had more issues with shock failure. That is an assessment based on usage around here. I also agree that coilovers, though a great option. If you are deciding to do springs now and shocks later, the cost will be very close to coilovers or a spring/shock combo, so I would suggest waiting until you get the money.
^^
So what your saying is, the lower you go...the more chance of your shocks biting the dust?

Thanks for the help guys, everyones opinions are appreciated .
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PWAiN
^^
So what your saying is, the lower you go...the more chance of your shocks biting the dust?

Thanks for the help guys, everyones opinions are appreciated .
Well, there is no garuantee that a 1" drop wouldn't, but I'd say I push my car fairly hard and my stock original shocks are fine.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Lowering springs will always work with stock shocks. However, the stock shock is valved according to the stock spring. So when lessening the travel of the stock shock it does change the ride. Additionally, the lowering springs tend have to stiffer spring rates b/c they are a shorter spring and therefore you don't want them to compress as much or you will have extreme lowering and probaly rubbing. So you will shorten the life of the OEM shock but if you only have 20k miles on your shocks then just use the springs. If you have 50k on your shocks I would be hesitant to just install springs b/c you will probably be doing the job again shortly b/c you will need new shocks.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by PJS
ILMH - whom are you quoting when you flippantly disregard the OP's question by saying "they will wear out and ride like crap"?
How do you know they'll be a "crap" combination?
I see this more and more on here - recommending nothing but $800+ coilovers or spring/shock combos.
Not everyone wants to or has the funds to play at this level.
And I for one, abhor the constant spouting of OEM shocks being worn out before their time using aftermarket springs. Where's the data proving this is the case?

I'm not having a go at you per se, but there are more than two choices. Those may be the ones you're happier to promote, but the replacement of the OEM springs, is STILL a valid option for whomever can only afford so much.

So, you and the rest who knock spring only upgrades - stop it. Give the questioner ALL the options and prices, and let them decide based on available funds and possible pros and cons of each option.
Not starting an arguement but just answering your question.

I am quoting myself. I have owned three cars so far where I have only installed springs on OEM shocks. 93 Civic 32k mi's installed (now on tokico blues), 91 Accord 40k mi's installed (now on Tokico Blues), 04 TSX 2 months after delivery (I had H. Tech's now I have Tein SS's). Now granted each drop was over the 1.5inch mark originally.

Over time the ride quality diminished. Now at first I hadn't noticed. But back in the days in 1999, when I rode in a friends car, who installed Tokico Blues on Eibach sportlines the difference was night and day to me. So maybe the ride didnt seem like it diminished due to it being so gradual.

Now in each case I was takin the "cheaper" route which eventually turned out to cost the same as a CO assy. in the end by todays standards, (1998 - Eibachs $256 Tokicos $ 425) . Only cuz I desperately wanted to lower the car and at the time I was only working part-time

Why did I keep repeating the same process? Now that I think back who knows hahah. I guess I just cant stand a stock height car

But I was just giving my opinion and experinece. Now to each his own. I know many who are just as happy with my percieved "crappy ride" and thats fine. I just thought I'd share that this is a common side effect of using lowering springs on OEM struts that arent designed for them. (considering drop height) They are just goin to wear prematurely.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Lowering springs will always work with stock shocks. However, the stock shock is valved according to the stock spring. So when lessening the travel of the stock shock it does change the ride. Additionally, the lowering springs tend have to stiffer spring rates b/c they are a shorter spring and therefore you don't want them to compress as much or you will have extreme lowering and probaly rubbing. So you will shorten the life of the OEM shock but if you only have 20k miles on your shocks then just use the springs. If you have 50k on your shocks I would be hesitant to just install springs b/c you will probably be doing the job again shortly b/c you will need new shocks.
I have less than that, and I really don't drive the TSX hard so I may consider the Tein Stechs. These can go 1.5-2', how low or high do people go to avoid damage; (i.e. rubbing, lower life of shocks) all the while giving the car more of an aggressive stance? I've been trying to figure out if the 1' drop will really look any different from stock. I will also be sticking with the stock wheels for a while.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

1-1.3" would seem to be the best compromise on OEM springs.
If you are wanting to get aggressive, then as pointed out, the option is limited to serious money on decent coilovers with or without damping adjustment.
Some like to fiddle, others are happy to go with what the particular brand/model has been designed/valved for.

If it were me - Swift springs or AMR Engineering coilovers. The former more expensive (a bit) than others, the latter very good value for money as they'll do custom spring rates depending on your style of driving and what you're aiming for looks/handling wise.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM

If you want an Idea heres what my car looked like when I was on H. Tech's
1.2 F .80 R. On stock rims and aftermarket ones.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Racer

That looks great for such a mild drop. What size are you aftermarket rims. The drop looks GREAT with both stock and your aftermarket rims. I'm asking because I have a set of 18's going back on as soon as this crappy weather breaks. Did you have to by a camber kit with such a mild drop, or did you just re-align after?

Again, ILMH that is one sweet lookin ride.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
If you want an Idea heres what my car looked like when I was on H. Tech's
1.2 F .80 R. On stock rims and aftermarket ones.
thats a nice drop. not too high, not too low either.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kennungesser
That looks great for such a mild drop. What size are you aftermarket rims. The drop looks GREAT with both stock and your aftermarket rims. I'm asking because I have a set of 18's going back on as soon as this crappy weather breaks. Did you have to by a camber kit with such a mild drop, or did you just re-align after?

Again, ILMH that is one sweet lookin ride.
Thanks!! I appreciate the compliments.

Well the second pic they are 17x7.5 with a 45 offset on factory tires

The third they are 18x8 49 offset on 225/45's (i now have 235/40's)

I realigned the toe. The front camber was still within tolerance but the rear camber was out at -2 degrees. I never did the rear camber recall or purchased a camber kit. The tires wore evenly across the whole tread. Front and back.

Once again thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Racer

You are very welcome. Now I know what Im going to do this summer. I showed my wife the pics and SHE even liked it. Thats a big deal comming from a very practial woman..You know the type, gas in, turn key, point A to point B, yadda yadda yadda. Over the years she is getting better though, I had the TB out of my truck and was polishing it in the front room, and she knew what it was!! That almost floored me!! She wont let me spend ANYTHING at the momment, we are giong on a cruise next month, so any extra cash is going to the Carribbean with us. Not that I am complaining, lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

That picture of your car with the stockies speaks for itself, indeed a reasonable ride height and aggressive looking at the same time. Def. gets rid of the dredded 4-finger wheel gap .
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Eat my shorts!!

I was in the same boat you're in. I didn't want to spend an outrageous amount of money for spring/shock combo. So I bought some s-techs and installed it with a help of a friend. It rode like stock and I was please..until 8k later, the shocks blew out. Now I had to spend an extra $600 for shocks and there was only two or three to pick out. Went with Koni's and LOVE IT!! It handles extremely well. Got an alignment and my left rear was -2 degrees while the right was -1. Left it like that and after 10k miles, tires still look like new. Btw, I don't have stock tires on...i have the yoko avid v4s which i believe have a long tread rating.

My suggestion is to go with the shock and spring combo...I regret my decision to go with springs in the beginning bc later on i had to spend an extra 100 and time to put shocks on.

Also for some reason, I have half a finger gap in the front and 1 1/2 finger gap in the rear. This gives my car a really sport stance.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Eat my shorts!!

I forgot to mention...you will not be able lift the car on a regular hydraulic lift. I have to drive my car on blocks of wood then lift. You can do that or buy a low racing lift which cost around 150-200
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Well after some serious thinking, I've opted to go with the Tein Stechs. Placed the order last night. I'll keep you guys posted to the install and what not. Thanks again for everyones input!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

They arrived this afternoon!
I get them installed tomorrow