Where to buy snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy snow tires

After discovering that the stock tires for the TSX are terrible in the snow I decided to get a winter set up. The front tires on my car have a few hundred miles on them, they were put on when I bought the car.

I just bought a set of used RSX 16" wheels and now I need some rubber. I have read a few snow tire threads and am going to look at tire rack for reviews. I was wondering where I can get the best deal on tires. I am in Hartford, CT and have a BJ's membership.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by fujiteam
After discovering that the stock tires for the TSX are terrible in the snow I decided to get a winter set up. The front tires on my car have a few hundred miles on them, they were put on when I bought the car.

I just bought a set of used RSX 16" wheels and now I need some rubber. I have read a few snow tire threads and am going to look at tire rack for reviews. I was wondering where I can get the best deal on tires. I am in Hartford, CT and have a BJ's membership.
I've always bought online (I've used Tire Rack a number of times). I can't help really you with a local spot (though I am near Hartford), but BJ's might work or Town Fair Tire (I think they'll match any price). A recommendation is not as easy as it sounds. You need to decide if you want to go the budget route, or price no object.... or in between. You should try and determine how much "snow tire" ability you really need. Do you need to be mobile at all times, or can you sit out a nasty commute? What are the odds that you'll get caught far from home and need to get there? I've been using winter tires since before they became known as something besides just "snow tires" and one of my first pieces of advice is to not buy more snow tire than you need. The more aggressive ones (Firestone Winterforce comes to mind) tend to be more noisy, many are not great in the rain (which we get here even during the winter), they don't last as long (it's softer rubber and it wears faster) and the dry and wet weather handling suffers (funky tread design and that softer rubber thing again). So..... try to be honest about what you need. I would suggest using Tire Rack's survey database and their test results as a good starting point. I assume you'll get recommendations here (I'm going to refrain), but take all (including my comments I guess) with a grain of salt. We all have our favorites. You may encounter supply problems this late in the season. Many will be sold out, so you might have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice (or you might get lucky). I assume you'll buy the correct 205/60x16 size, and it's a pretty popular size.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
9th Gear

fuji - let us know how you make out. I just picked up a 2008 TSX and with the recent snow found out but tires are also terrible in the snow. I'm going to be shopping too but I will probably mount to my stock 17" wheels.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey guys, I would try the Tirerack as they have a warehouse in Windsor,CT. near Bradley Airport.
The other place I would shop is Reliable Tire on Maple Ave in Hartford. Anthony & his brother are the owner and they will give you a good deal. You could also try Tire City in East Hartford, but Relaible tire gave me better price.
I do NOT deal with Town Fair anymore. They don't know what they are doing and they are expensive.
I bought a set of winter wheels & tires for my wife's 2010 TL from Tirerack and picked them up in Windsor for like $850. I got 17's for the car.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced

I went into Firestone since I was nearby. They quoted me on Firestone Winterforce tires for $71 a piece. Tirerack has them for $68 and they get pretty good reviews. I just need to make sure they take the "Road Hazard Protection" off the quote.

With everything all said and done it looks like I will have all 4 wheels and tires for a little over $600.