uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uneven tire wear

i noticed my right front passenger tire has worn a lot more in the inside than the outside. i checked the other 3 and they are pretty even. is it normal to have just one wheel out of alignment or is this a camber issue.

the reason i noticed this is because i noticed a little clunk noise that occurs when i turn and go up/down ramps. i suspect is the shock/strut assembly because nothing looks loose as i can tell. it sometimes sounds like a spring rubbing or spring bouncing kind of noise. the car handles fine and makes no noise when im driving. it's just from time to time on the ramps like i said. anybody have any thoughts? i will be dropping it off at the dealer next week.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The camber is not adjustable on our cars. The only thing that is adjustable is the Toe angles. Out of spec Toe will cause cuping of the tires.

The clunk noise you hear is probably a worn shock that maybe has sprung a leak or something. That could cause the camber to be off on one side but the only way to fix this is to replace the shock. An alignment wont fix the camber issue.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Instructor

worn shocks covered under warranty? or they gonna try and sell me wear and tear bs? they should change both sides right?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
HOWARD911S

yes. worn shock is covered under warranty, my left front shock broke at 20k, its covered fully... that's what bumper to bumper is about though i am not happy that it broke at all anyway at 20k but you are covered,
Old 08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by mojox20
worn shocks covered under warranty? or they gonna try and sell me wear and tear bs? they should change both sides right?
in addition to my last post, IT IS covered under warranty, and no, they only covered 1 side, they dont change both unless the other side show wear and tear..
Old 08-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Instructor

oh yea? how did you know it was broken? did it make a clunking noise too?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Instructor

btw i have the a-spec kit in my garage right now. should i even bother to have them replace the oem shocks? i have about 47k miles.

or should i bring it in anyway........mayeb it's not the shock lol, although everything looks fine to my naked eye.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
HOWARD911S

oh yea? how did you know it was broken? did it make a clunking noise too?
my office is 4 floors underground and it has a circular ramp that leads down. this one day drivnig down, i noticed my left front shock make this... metal squeking noise. sounds like spring being compressed and back, its like metal compress and uncompressed repeated kind of sound, and the car was noticeably more bouncy. i took it in, they checked it was a leak, so replaced the whole part,

since shock wear out gradually. and chaging new one is sudden, i notice lately the ride is a lot lot better.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:13 PM
HOWARD911S

btw i have the a-spec kit in my garage right now. should i even bother to have them replace the oem shocks? i have about 47k miles.

or should i bring it in anyway........mayeb it's not the shock lol, although everything looks fine to my naked eye.
well if it is that shock. hmm broken or leak, you have few option

1)replace factory shock under warranty

2)see how much they would charge you to put on the a spec kit if you waive the broken shock replacement, if it indeed is broken

3) see if they would hand u the factory replacement shock, oem one, cause i think u still want a brand new good original one as spare and see how much they charge to put on the a spec, but might charge u an arm and leg
Old 08-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Instructor

hmmm good points. i can install the a-spec myself but i figure since it's still warrnaty covered im at least 4 good shocks right lol?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Instructor

meant to say im OWED 4 good shocks
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
i noticed my right front passenger tire has worn a lot more in the inside than the outside. i checked the other 3 and they are pretty even. is it normal to have just one wheel out of alignment or is this a camber issue.

the reason i noticed this is because i noticed a little clunk noise that occurs when i turn and go up/down ramps. i suspect is the shock/strut assembly because nothing looks loose as i can tell. it sometimes sounds like a spring rubbing or spring bouncing kind of noise. the car handles fine and makes no noise when im driving. it's just from time to time on the ramps like i said. anybody have any thoughts? i will be dropping it off at the dealer next week.

There are a dozen reasons why one tire might be wearing out.

- your driving habits
- the car hit a curb and bent something

those are the two biggest reasons. Either your toe or your camber is out, and it is most likely the toe, if your car is unmodified.

A worn shock does not alter your alingment angles, so if you are having a clunk it might be a shock. If you are having wear, that is alignment...two separate issues...

The dealer will figure it out and fix it if it needs to be.

And no, if only one shock is bad they do not need to replace all 4. That is unreasonable.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if something wrong with your shocks. try to get them to replace both fronts. Majority of mechanics will replace both if one is broken. ie front left is broken .. both fronts will be replace.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
if something wrong with your shocks. try to get them to replace both fronts. Majority of mechanics will replace both if one is broken. ie front left is broken .. both fronts will be replace.

They may want to sell you two shocks, but under warranty, you might only get one replaced....
Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
"You are just a puppet.."

geez...i dont get it sometime...people ask once about a question to see responces, they get answered...thats fine

BUT ENOUGH ALREADY...if its still under warranty go to the dealer and get it fixed...they can tell you EXACTLY whats wrong...we cant see your car and diagnose whats wrong we can only give our suggestions

Im sorry if I flipped out on your very mild case of question after question but Ive seen so much of it. Again sorry...no offence just HAD to let it out.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
TSX User

artmcd88 snapped.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by artmcd88
geez...i dont get it sometime...people ask once about a question to see responces, they get answered...thats fine

BUT ENOUGH ALREADY...if its still under warranty go to the dealer and get it fixed...they can tell you EXACTLY whats wrong...we cant see your car and diagnose whats wrong we can only give our suggestions

Im sorry if I flipped out on your very mild case of question after question but Ive seen so much of it. Again sorry...no offence just HAD to let it out.

That's right everyone.....just go to the dealer from now on. Don't ask any questions here because people will want to answer and spawn discussions about it.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
"You are just a puppet.."

no no...you got me all wrong

this isnt a good example of it...but there are people who dont want to accept the advice given...they just stll and keep going...yea that could be it...but i dont think so ...i think its this

this is nothing compared to some things ive seen...again im very sorry for flipping out as this isnt much of a good example
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by artmcd88
no no...you got me all wrong

this isnt a good example of it...but there are people who dont want to accept the advice given...they just stll and keep going...yea that could be it...but i dont think so ...i think its this

this is nothing compared to some things ive seen...again im very sorry for flipping out as this isnt much of a good example

Oh yes, that is annoying...misunderstood.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:12 AM
6th Gear

Plain and simple, it's too much negative camber, like MrHeelToe stated earlier you probablly curbed it and something went out of spec. Dealership will more than likely only replace one, but ideally you'd want to replace both. Good luck.